• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

sakurasou - 04

This is good. It's not special, but the way they balance the humor and the dramatic elements is surprisingly competent stuff. The dilemmas are readily identifiable and the sentimentality rarely dips into the kind of maudlin excess you might expect. I came for smut and :kanna and came out feeling a surprising amount of feels.

A7E7Al.jpg

Sorry but I can't even root for Kanna anymore.
You will change your tune maybe when you watch ep 5, 6 and 7.

Narag

I don't really regret watching episodes 1 and 5 of Fujiko, they were pretty good as self-contained Lupin stories. Still, it's hard to look back at them and not think of all the other bullshit that came along. And the way Sayo Yamamoto actually tried to pretend that the show is like the Monkey Punch manga.

I think I said it before but if someone asked me about the show, I'd say watch eps 1, 2, and 5 and forget about the rest.

I think I said it before but if someone asked me about the show, I'd say watch eps 1, 2, and 5 and forget about the rest.
Yeah, 2 was a pretty good Jigen episode.

Really, the show had boatloads of potential. Normally I'm all for risky things, but this is one instance where I would've liked it more if they just played it mostly safe. Just episodic Lupin adventures but without the 'daytime family-friendly anime' limits that often hold animated Lupin back.

Of course it would've still had budget issues, but at least it would've been an overall fun show.

wonzo

Banned
Sakurasou 4

sakupet4.jpg

Damn, this was pretty good. It's not often that you see a series touch upon this kinda stuff without your eyes wanting to roll out of your head but this pretty much nailed it. The humor mixes in pretty well with the more solemn aspects of the show which also helps.

ibwKTc0MwewLqY.gif

Dresden

sakurasou - 05
You will change your tune maybe when you watch ep 5, 6 and 7.
After watching 5 and 7, Aoyama is like . . . she's the officious tsundere girl, and just not that interesting outside of being a pitybait for being poor, for working too hard, for being destined to lose.

I don't hate her character, but honestly I don't feel bad that she'll 'lose' the game, either.

---

sakurasou - 06

So this is the expected episode where her shell cracks and the tsun slips and the dere comes out. I guess Misaki will be the next they'll tackle judging by the Osaka bomb they dropped here. This really is an unexpectedly high-quality show--consistence is maintained, things are foreshadowed, and everything is just, like, competent.

Glorious Korean food to soothe a loser girl's soul.

kOArsl.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pyscho Pass] - 7

This episode was garbage. I've always wanted this show to focus on building up it's ensemble cast of detectives by spending an episode devoted to their characters rather than just one particular case that gets solved in a single episode. In a weird way this episode granted my wish, which should really make me careful what I wish for.

This episode was pretty much entirely devoted to garbage dialogue being sprouted from the villains who spent most of their time either dumping exposition about how the world works or expousing their own terrible personal philosophies to each other. Just awful.

Dropped.
This is what gratuitous amounts of Shakespeare does to people.
Hey guys, remember that fucker duckroll? That asshole hyped the shit out of Psycho-Pass, posting news and updates about it every goddamn day. He even made an OT for the piece of shit show. What a goddamn loser. I'm never buying into that duckroll hype again. The guy has shit taste. This is what happens when we listen to scrubs.
:( Just because your taste is shit doesn't mean we don't love you. I'm grateful that we have ducky at our side.
Lupin was totally 7th.
Did the show get super really fucking abstract with the art in the second half or something? Because, style aside, most episodes didn't even look that good.

Maedhros

How odd that Hyouka may end up being the only high-profile show this year to exceed expectations.

Lol, then this year was fucking bad. Except it wasn't there are so many good shows this season, shows that are better than... whatever Hyoukawas.

I'm not liking Chuunibyou too, but for totally different reasons.

duckroll

:( Just because your taste is shit doesn't mean we don't love you. I'm grateful that we have ducky at our side.

It's the thought that counts! :(

Did the show get super really fucking abstract with the art in the second half or something? Because, style aside, most episodes didn't even look that good.

That's why it was a failure. He got all hyped up over Koike, and the show blew up in all our faces. It was just garbage. Lol.

BluWacky

Lol, then this year was fucking bad. Except it wasn't there are so many good shows this season, shows that are better than... whatever Hyoukawas.

Be that as it may, I don't think anyone really expected Hyouka to be particularly great from its premise or its first episode, and it definitely surpassed those expectations for many people. Branduil wasn't saying "Hyouka was super amazing and nothing else was", he was saying "Hyouka was the only high profile show this year that exceeded expectations" - very different. It seems like you're giving a response on instinct (people say they like Hyouka, you post a variant on "but I thought it sucked!!!!") rather than engaging with the issue at hand.

For instance, Tsuritama was a lot better than people might have predicted it to be, but it wasn't a "high profile" show - it didn't have massive levels of hype behind it from anyone, really. Conversely, although Kids On The Slope was a very good series (IMO) it wasn't as good as it could have been, and didn't "live up to the hype".

Grzi

How odd that Hyouka may end up being the only high-profile show this year to exceed expectations.

Tsuritama?

we came for the promise of jazz music, we got teenage melodrama as the focus

It was still a great show.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Cosigned.

Shows that were hyped but lived up to the Hype - Tsuritama, Hyouka
Shows that were hyped but didn't up to the Hype - Magi, Psycho-pass, Kids on the slope, Fujiko etc.

Magi is still not bad, and chances are it will get much better.

Lupin was a fuck up from every aspect. Except the music, that was the best and most consistent thing for the show.

The music wasn't even that good, just kind of weird, the ED was fantastic though.

BluWacky

The music wasn't even that good, just kind of weird, the ED was fantastic though.

I may be alone in this, but I really, REALLY loved the OP music for Fujiko. In fact, I really liked the OP in general. I know the show went off the rails (to be honest I was bored by about episode 4 or 5 so I never got to
the owls
) but if it had been anything like the OP in general I think I could have loved the show.

But then I think I feel the same way about Psycho-Pass. The curse of Sayo Yamamoto, perhaps?

Maedhros

Be that as it may, I don't think anyone really expected Hyouka to be particularly great from its premise or its first episode, and it definitely surpassed those expectations for many people. Branduil wasn't saying "Hyouka was super amazing and nothing else was", he was saying "Hyouka was the only high profile show this year that exceeded expectations" - very different. It seems like you're giving a response on instinct (people say they like Hyouka, you post a variant on "but I thought it sucked!!!!") rather than engaging with the issue at hand.

Point taken. But I don't agree at all. It was way below my expectations. I was optmistic, since people said it was a normal KyoAni show (aka moeblob). It ended being a boring show.

Taruranto

[Pyscho Pass] - 7

This episode was garbage. I've always wanted this show to focus on building up it's ensemble cast of detectives by spending an episode devoted to their characters rather than just one particular case that gets solved in a single episode. In a weird way this episode granted my wish, which should really make me careful what I wish for.

This episode was pretty much entirely devoted to garbage dialogue being sprouted from the villains who spent most of their time either dumping exposition about how the world works or expousing their own terrible personal philosophies to each other. Just awful.

Dropped.

Lol, was coming here to post the exact same thing, though i didn't drop it. :p

But seriously, the show has two main problems imo:

- Too many characters. Why are Yayoi and Akira Ishida even there? Stop wasting time and focus more on the characters and their relationships. Shinya and Gino, Gino and Masaomi, Shinya and his reasons (this episode did that, but it could have be done sooner by dropping some hints about Sasayama), etc. The animu would have been 120% better if Akane wasn't there and Shinya was the MC, being badass and angsting about his past (possibly half-naked) while having moral dilemmas. Or something.

- Show, don't tell ffs. 10 minutes of villains explaining their motives, plans and backstory? What_the_hell. There wasn't anything in the girl reasons that couldn't have been conveyed in more subtle ways. But no, they had to tell you EXACLYT every fucking thing. BlablablaStress. Blablablarevenge. Blablabla... FUCK YOU scriptwriter. You gave me a headache.

Defuser

Psycho Pass ep 7
Hmmm, I do see the point Jex pointed out that it should be focusing on building up the detectives instead of focusing on the villains especially the girl considering she's almost likely be killed off in the next episode.

Man,
Yuri Necrophilia
, this is beyond :sdburton. The butch sure throws in every sickening thing you can imagine.

Psycho-Pass 7
Oh god, the endless babbling in this episode... I know Urobuchi likes his exposition, but this was dreadfully dull. I couldn't even keep my attention focused on the show. I hope that stuff isn't important because I've already forgotten most of it.

I may be alone in this, but I really, REALLY loved the OP music for Fujiko. In fact, I really liked the OP in general. I know the show went off the rails (to be honest I was bored by about episode 4 or 5 so I never got to
the owls
) but if it had been anything like the OP in general I think I could have loved the show.

But then I think I feel the same way about Psycho-Pass. The curse of Sayo Yamamoto, perhaps?
As soon as I saw the OP I started getting vague second thoughts about the whole thing. Some small part of me said "...oh, they're trying to be artsy."

I didn't pay much heed to it at all at first (I just assumed that it was meant to be visually stylish), but then the show just started getting more and more annoying and pretentious.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
- Show, don't tell ffs. 10 minutes of villains explaining their motives, plans and backstory? What_the_hell. There wasn't anything in the girl reasons that couldn't have been conveyed in more subtle ways. But no, they had to tell you EXACLYT every fucking thing. BlablablaStress. Blablablarevenge. Blablabla... FUCK YOU scriptwriter. You gave me a headache.
It's like you guys forgot about Fate/Zero.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't remember F/Z novel exposition being so invasive.
I couldn't watch beyond the second episode because of how exposition-heavy the whole thing was, and that's when I was watching one-hundred plus episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Urobuchi's not one for brevity.

Jex

Psycho Pass 7

I need to stop coming here before watching stuff. I'm waiting the whole episode, waiting for it to get crappy, but nothing. Didn't find anything wrong with it.

Sort of a transition episode, giving more development to the presumed villain. Not much progress in the case itself, but that's fine. We can assume a few motives here which I found pretty interesting. Also highlights more problems with the system itself.

Looking forward for what's to come.

I'd like to clarify that I don't the show has suddenly fallen off a cliff, although the exposition in this episode was atrocious. It didn't get crappy this episode, it's been crappy for weeks but I've only just decided to accept that reality. Previously I'd been hoping that it had been going through a phase, or that it would pick up steam, or whatever. That's clearly not going to happen.

ZETSUEN NO TEMPEST 8
the episode was faithfull to the manga ..

But damn that dude using his sword on the ground each time he wants to make a point is annoying .
We should see some action next episode , this should be good

Jex

Especially if you've only just met! First dates with Shinji Ikari go great, but I'm lead to understand the relationship just goes downhill from there.

Shinn Asuka isn't so different, except the first impression is crap and it just gets worse from there. So much worse.

I'll go with door number three and choose Roger Smith. He's so noir.

Dating batman never goes well. You're pretty much going to end up dead.
Shows that were hyped but lived up to the Hype - Tsuritama, Hyouka
Shows that were hyped but didn't up to the Hype - Magi, Psycho-pass, Kids on the slope, Fujiko etc.

I think you're missing an important category:

Shows with no hype/anti-hyper that are awesome - Girls und Panzer, Codebreaker
I disagree. A good chunk of the cross-posters from mangagaf were very excited and just as optimistic. duckroll hadn't even started Magi until it had already cemented itself as one of the most popular series over in that thread, so I think the credit should be shared.

Oh, sorry, I was only talking about PyschoPass.

Jex

Look, duckroll isn't the only hyper around here as well. There are other people involved with those hype trains, they didn't take off because of a single person!

Grzi

I think you're missing an important category:

Shows with no hype/anti-hyper that are awesome - Codebreaker

Carlo Santos of ANN doesn't seem to think that way:

Overall (sub) : C
Story : C
Animation : C-
Art : B-
Music : b-

+ Intense drama, frequent plot twists, and a morally ambiguous view of society will intrigue viewers who want a serious-minded action show.
− Predictable action genre tropes, awkward mood swings, and cheap production values stop this series from making a good impression.

wonzo

Banned
Carlo Santos of ANN doesn't seem to think that way:

Overall (sub) : C
Story : C
Animation : C-
Art : B-
Music : b-

+ Intense drama, frequent plot twists, and a morally ambiguous view of society will intrigue viewers who want a serious-minded action show.
− Predictable action genre tropes, awkward mood swings, and cheap production values stop this series from making a good impression.
I... I honestly don't even know where to begin with that. Fuckin' ANN.

Grzi

Zetsuen no Tempest - 08

Those BONES fellas sure love their
time travel.

While this might have been the worst episode of the show so far I'd still say that it was good. Sure it was exposition heavy in its second half, but the direction was really good, and the visuals were so nice that they were enough to keep my attention throughout the episode.
This show really looks great, too bad they didn't spice up the boring manga character designs.

Next week should be good, can't wait.

Btooom! 8
tumblr_mdx8zcaUQm1qbo867o1_500.png

Is that really how Sakamoto views Taira-san?! If Taira-san really looked that way he wouldnt be that bad of a character or a useless deadweight comparable to Himeko. Anyway if the anime ditched romance moments itd really have some good episodes consistently.

More interested in the corporation plot at this point and what they are after with this game. Really like Sakamoto consistently taking the lead and wish Himeko would trust him, kind of pointless to keep the information from him since hes already saved her life numerous times, would he really betray her or something, if anything she probably would betray him like that doctor guy.

Orlandu84

I too was about to post about my dissatisfaction with the ludicrous amount of exposition from the last episode, but enough said ;)

Hey guys, remember that fucker duckroll? That asshole hyped the shit out of Psycho-Pass, posting news and updates about it every goddamn day. He even made an OT for the piece of shit show. What a goddamn loser. I'm never buying into that duckroll hype again. The guy has shit taste. This is what happens when we listen to scrubs.

o518s.jpg

I see you all have discovered the truth. Nothing but disappointment exists in this world. Everything and everyone will betray you, yourself most of all.

Let's make the suicide pact.

duckroll

I see you all have discovered the truth. Nothing but disappointment exists in this world. Everything and everyone will betray you, yourself most of all.

Let's make the suicide pact.

Sorry but I'm too busy kicking dudes in the face in Sleeping Dogs. You should consider that too. It's been more fun than anime today! :D

I just imagine that all the dudes I'm kicking in the face are the people responsible for bad anime. Maybe they fled to Hong Kong or something... and became triad members.

Medaka Box Abnormal 7
tumblr_mdxnabJE9n1qzk4cro2_500.png
tumblr_mdxnabJE9n1qzk4cro3_500.png

I guess I watched a different Medaka Box Abnormal episode 7 than everyone else as I found it kind of boring and uninteresting. Naze is dull and to go through lengthy backstory of a character I dont care about made it even more dull. Worst
tying it into Medaka who made a "surprise" appearance there
was an awful move.

I wish it were a pure Akune v Naze + Koga showdown. Akune made the best lines.

Sorry but I'm too busy kicking dudes in the face in Sleeping Dogs. You should consider that too. It's been more fun than anime today! :D

I just imagine that all the dudes I'm kicking in the face are the people responsible for bad anime. Maybe they fled to Hong Kong or something... and became triad members.

I correct myself: kicking dudes in the face will never betray your expectations.

fertygo

Psycho-Pass 07

I thought this gonna super crappy or something with the raging comment here, but I enjoy this episode more than last 3 episode before this (and find the show really underwhelming) I thought people want this show to be Police Investigation Show with Urobuchi's ironic and unthinkable psychopath? At least I certainly think like that.

And this episode so far fulfilling that expectation the most.. We have police chit-chat about unique case, ironic criminal story and motive, and how they doing the act. I enjoy most of them, its certainly feel padded a bit but what you can do, at least I already used with similar babbling with twice or more length in other media. But Apparently only me that have this expectation.

My Little Monster 08

Same stuff, I feel lazy to watch after the brutal beatdown that people here give plus not enjoying the show since early episode, but I feel the energy again from those early eps although not as much. Its back to be fun teenager story again at least for this episode, its have similar charm and boldness. Also the fact its now filled with shoujo's overused trope easier for me to swallow than other does.

I guess both impression have something to do with low expectation, thanks anime-GAF.

BluWacky

Why do professional anime reviewers review shows before they finish airing to begin with?

Because that's what most critics of serialised entertaiment do, I guess.

Unfortunately your average anime reviewer isn't up to the standards of a newspaper critic (and that's not necessarily setting the bar particularly high, no matter how much I enjoy reading TV criticism in UK papers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom