• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Especially if you've only just met! First dates with Shinji Ikari go great, but I'm lead to understand the relationship just goes downhill from there.

Shinn Asuka isn't so different, except the first impression is crap and it just gets worse from there. So much worse.

I'll go with door number three and choose Roger Smith. He's so noir.

Roger Smith is a classy dude, it's a real departure from what we usually get with giant robot shows.

Didn't you like Bunny Drop?

Yeah, I also liked Tsuritama, Thermae Romae, and Shiki. But I also liked [C], Guilty Crown, Black Rock Shooter, the two currently airing shows while I disliked Hataraki Man, Nodame Cantabile, Mononoke, Trapeze, Princess Jellyfish, Wandering Son, Un-Go, and Kids on the Slope.

Instro

Good news, they'll be taking up both noitaminA slots in the winter season as well.

Newtamina is back baby!

It seems every Noitamina show I like ends up being super panned by animegaf, while the ones I don't like are considered AOTY material.

Admittedly I haven't seen episode 7 for PP yet, but now is the time to get some pre-emptive shots in. Gotta strike while the iron is hot and all that. I thought the previous two episodes were quite strong, and I also like the show overall, so I'm interested to see what has made duckroll kill himself. How exciting!

Yeah, I also liked Tsuritama, Thermae Romae, and Shiki. But I also liked [C], Guilty Crown, Black Rock Shooter, the two currently airing shows while I disliked Hataraki Man, Nodame Cantabile, Mononoke, Trapeze, Princess Jellyfish, Wandering Son, Un-Go, and Kids on the Slope.

Any particular reason you didn't like Kids on the Slope? I heard a lot of hype about the show, and watched the first episode, but I forgot all about it until now.

Any particular reason you didn't like Kids on the Slope? I heard a lot of hype about the show, and watched the first episode, but I forgot all about it until now.

It's just not for me. I don't find jazz and boys love interesting. It also doesn't help that I'm not a huge Watanabe fan, the only thing I've really like of his being Samurai Champloo.

Branduil

Also Chuunibyo, Tonari no Kaibutsu kun, and JoJo have all been amazing.

Chuunibyou is a huge step down from Hyouka.

It's just not for me. I don't find jazz and boys love interesting. It also doesn't help that I'm not a huge Watanabe fan, the only thing I've really like of his being Samurai Champloo.
Kids on the Slope isn't boys love. Don't make up things about a show just because you don't like it.

we came for the promise of jazz music, we got teenage melodrama as the focus

Guess it's probably not for me then. I thought the Jazz band thing sounded interesting, but I'm not a big fan of shows with romance as a major focus.

But, then again, I did like Fruits Basket and the Kuragehime manga.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
It was just a joke. I don't think anyone really believes it's BL.

But boys love is in the eye of the beholder. You don't even need to ship them out like yuri. Merely having two boys in the same room as each other is enough to spawn countless slash fiction all across the world.

Females don't have hentai, after all.

Dynedom

It's no Tiger & Bunny.

Why must you reopen old wounds?

Tiger and Bunny had an excellent first half. It did a perfect, and I really do mean perfect, job of introducing the cast, dealing with one-episode bad guys and developing main plotlines. It's really unfortunate that it got Sunrise'd towards the middle when the writers clearly scrambled to change the ending of the show so that they could extend the story needlessly.

I don't think I've ever been more angry at a squandered opportunity than when
they ignored Tiger's disappearing power and that Lunatic guy's backstory

Treasure Island episode 26 and Treasure Island Memorial.

1d988.jpg

Yeah, that was a pretty good series.

Instro

Who cares if they were high profile or not.
Whatever that even means.
They have been great shows.

Sure, but I'm just saying that they don't qualify with what he was talking about.

Treasure Island episode 26 and Treasure Island Memorial.

Yeah, that was a pretty good series.

You might also enjoy Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick. It has a similarly awesome captain, as seen below:

wonzo

Banned
Medaka Box Abnormal 7

Yep, this was certainly another episode of the incredibly insane Medaka Box. They really have nailed Naze's voice which definitely helps make the really silly back and forth between her and Maguro incredibly entertaining. Next episode should be awesome as usual.

I wanna watch something, but I have absolutely no idea what. Someone name some random anime that doesn't have romance as a major focus or revolve around cuteness please.

I was thinking about watching Boogiepop Phantom, but I dunno...
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

cajunator

Banned
Sure, but I'm just saying that they don't qualify with what he was talking about.

You might also enjoy Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick. It has a similarly awesome captain, as seen below:

Well he said Hyouka was high profile but it wasnt either.
Other than it being KyoAni which would also make Chuunibyo high profile.

Instro

Well he said Hyouka was high profile but it wasnt either.
Other than it being KyoAni which would also make Chuunibyo high profile.

Hyouka had significantly more hype behind it...this seems like a rather pointless argument.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it.

I'll probably watch more Cobra when I'm in the mood for more Dezaki stuff though.

Cobra is certainly good stuff as well.

Robotics;Notes 7

Oh shit, stuff is finally happening. I assume we're finally reaching the "shit hits the fan" moments that the science series is so known for (and takes so long to get to).

Also got some development for Frau, which is nice. She's still the best character this season.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Shows that were hyped but lived up to the Hype - Tsuritama, Hyouka
Shows that were hyped but didn't up to the Hype - Magi, Psycho-pass, Kids on the slope, Fujiko etc.

Shows that were Hyped but lived up to the Hype - Tsuritama, Hyouka
Shows that were Hyped but didn't up to the Hype - Magi, Psycho-pass, Kids on the slope, Fujiko etc.

I don't know if Magi should be included since only the first 3 episodes were disappointing. Everything since has been adequate-great. Didn't take as long as Hyouka to get good.

I expected Fujiko to be great because I thought, "Mari Okada can't fuck up Lupin. It's just fun episodic adventures, after all. You just need a new crazy idea per episode and the story will practically write itself!".

Lol, optimism.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kids on the Slope doesn't belong with those others. The only context in which you could say it "sucked" is compared to previous Watanabe works, but that's a lofty bar. It certainly wasn't a disaster like Lupin.
Fujiko was like stepping into a beartrap. It is almost meaningless to say another show didn't turn out to be as rotten as it.

Soma

Medaka Box Abnormal Episode 07

Oh God yes.

That line was so much better here with Sawashiro.

More back-story and lots of dialogue in this episode, which I personally enjoyed since I really like Naze's character a lot. Next episode should be pretty fun.

Wait, Ano Hana is getting a film and it will be told from Menma's POV? Well, I'm sure they'll make sure all the ghost stuff is logical and consistent now that it's the entire focus of the story.

wonzo

Banned
I expected Fujiko to be great because I thought, "Mari Okada can't fuck up Lupin. It's just fun episodic adventures, after all. You just need a new crazy idea per episode and the story will practically write itself!".

Lol, optimism.
Mari Okada's Hit-list:

Yamakan
Ghosts
Macaroons
Lupin
Owls
Special People
Anime?

I don't really regret watching episodes 1 and 5 of Fujiko, they were pretty good as self-contained Lupin stories. Still, it's hard to look back at them and not think of all the other bullshit that came along. And the way Sayo Yamamoto actually tried to pretend that the show is like the Monkey Punch manga.

Dresden

sakurasou - 04

This is good. It's not special, but the way they balance the humor and the dramatic elements is surprisingly competent stuff. The dilemmas are readily identifiable and the sentimentality rarely dips into the kind of maudlin excess you might expect. I came for smut and :kanna and came out feeling a surprising amount of feels.

A7E7Al.jpg

Sorry but I can't even root for Kanna anymore.

So I gues NoitanimA sucking again is something akin to balance being restored to the universe? ;_;

Sucking isn't the word I'd use, Pyscho Pass and Robotics Notes aren't terrible, just mediocre and either of them could still end up being better than that. It's nothing compared to the Guilty Crown/Black Rock Shooter duo from earlier in the year.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It always baffles me how people point the finger at Mari Okada. When it was clearly due to Yamamoto that Fujiko was such a mess.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom