• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts s1 end
tumblr_lu3nydeO5t1qasy69o11_500.png

Really a fun and hilarious anime that Im surprised I enjoyed then again with the constant moments like these it'd be hard to dislike. Characters were all around funny and solid and the plot only faltered in the end there
Bah trying to get some romance and failing to beat class A in an actual battle because of that random fluke.
. Anime really took off once Yoshii got the iron bracelet, and the best scenes always him and yuji. Ending animation is amazing.

I guess on to the second portion once its durbbed and specials after that.

Theonik

Sorry but I'm too busy kicking dudes in the face in Sleeping Dogs. You should consider that too. It's been more fun than anime today!
I just imagine that all the dudes I'm kicking in the face are the people responsible for bad anime. Maybe they fled to Hong Kong or something... and became triad members.
ibM7Bxc6ticUx.jpg

Gangsta.
Too lazy to shop tattoos so imaging he's hiding them under his shirt

Cwarrior

Since you liked episode of nami duckroll & jex I would recommend checking out Movie 9 Episode of Chopper.

it's a readaptations of the chopper arc with a few very minor changes being What if -chopper was recruited after Franky.

Ironically enough, "Humanity has declined" was legitimately good.

HOPE IS NOT LOST

First two episode were really good the third made me drop it, I will never know how it turned out overall.

faridmon

Am I the only one who thought that Tsuritama was dissapointing. I liked its style and its theme, but the story and the script was .... unsatisfactory.

Risette

A Good Citizen
sakurasou - 04

This is good. It's not special, but the way they balance the humor and the dramatic elements is surprisingly competent stuff. The dilemmas are readily identifiable and the sentimentality rarely dips into the kind of maudlin excess you might expect. I came for smut and :kanna and came out feeling a surprising amount of feels.

A7E7Al.jpg

Sorry but I can't even root for Kanna anymore.

Sakurasou 4

sakupet4.jpg

Damn, this was pretty good. It's not often that you see a series touch upon this kinda stuff without your eyes wanting to roll out of your head but this pretty much nailed it. The humor mixes in pretty well with the more solemn aspects of the show which also helps.
See guys, I told you. I know a mad decent show when I see one.

They even managed to make the sperglord girl likable, unlike that Chuunibyou garbage dump!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm pleased to say that I still have a perfect hype record here. Individual episodes of Sengoku Collection have been better than anything that duckroll's hyped since the beginning of the year!

Space Bros. I don't think anyone has anything to say against the show as a whole.

No lie, I dropped it for being too inspirational. It made me feel like a failure and I got too depressed to watch any more.

duckroll

Now seems as good a time as any to do a quick impressions recap of all the shows I'm still watching this season:

S-Tier (The best of the best this season)

Girls und Panzer
This turned out to be a fantastic show which keeps getting better each week. Taking the concept of a large all girls cast and fusing it with a shounen sports concept featuring WW2 tanks in safe and friendly competitive war games is one crazy idea, but it totally works. Filled with charm, humor and fun.

Zetsuen no Tempest
Andogod returns to BONES to show the world once again what he and the studio are capable of given the right resources. The direction here is really in a class of its own, and the action set pieces are extremely well thought out and often executed with outstanding animation. The orchestrated soundtrack is fantastic, and really elevates the tone of the work. This show also features some of the best voice work I've heard in a long time.

Code:Breaker
This show is cheesy, over-the-top, and kinda stupid at times, but it is also full of classic 90s shounen action flavor. Everything from the character designs, the action, the script, and the music is totally retro in a good and fun way. Nice effects animation and a badass lead who's a stone cold killer doesn't hurt either.

---

A-Tier (Not quite consistently great, but still consistently enjoyable)

My Little Monster
I'm not really a big fan of romantic comedies in general, but this one really caught my eye. The art design and the characters are extremely appealing, and initially the pace was extremely brisk and dynamic. The humor is pretty great too. In the recent episodes it has adopted a more traditional shoujo storytelling approach and the pace has slowed significantly, but it's still good enough to recommend. It's not a long series, so they can't drag things on much longer anyway.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures
Probably the greatest low production value to high entertainment value ratio there is this season, it proves that with enough heart and with good source material, even a cheap production can turn out well. This show can be pretty ugly most of the time, but it's also really entertaining, crazy, and really fast paced. The music direction is also a stand out this season.

Medaka Box Abnormal
Surprisingly good for a show which was mostly a waste of time in its previous season. The gags are mostly funny, the scripts are extremely wordy but rather sharp in terms of wit and self-awareness, and the fights are really fun. I definitely didn't expect to like this as much as I did, but it's definitely delivering on the entertainment factor.

Gyrozetter
This is how I like to see a kid anime done. It's a simple concept which also has certain gimmicks (which unsurprisingly tie into the franchise's origins as a card battle arcade game), but the characters are also silly but fun, and there are a lot of varied robot designs. The pace can be a little slow at times, but it always feels honest and fun. Even the filler can be pretty good so far. Those not looking to watch something childish and silly probably won't get much out of it, but for those interested in something more light-hearted and relaxing, it's pretty good stuff.

---

B-Tier (Has potential, but also serious consistency problems)

From the New World
Probably the most evocative show this season in terms of mood and tone. Unfortunately it suffers from pacing and direction issues as well as inconsistent production values as the series progresses. The source material seems relatively strong, so the show could still pull through in the end. It's rather hard to make a solid judgement as of yet, since much of the show's value will be dependent on how the characters and plot pay off in the end.

Magi
This is a real mixed bag so far. I'm a huge fan of the original manga, but the anime has been up and down all season so far. The introductory episodes were rushed and really poorly handled, leaving a poor first impression, but the series really picked up after that with more faithful adaptations and some good direction. Sadly the entire production is being dragged down by piss-poor sound direction - everything from casting to music seems pretty bad. Characters don't sound like they should, the background music sucks, etc.

---

C-Tier (Disappointing, but not dropped... yet)

Psycho-Pass
One of the shows this season with the highest potential in terms of premise and setting, but so far it seems like quite a dud. The cases aren't very interesting, the character development is awfully lacking, the scripts are heavy in exposition and low on excitement, and the main character is rather unbearable. It'll be nice if they can turn the show around at some point, but it isn't looking likely.

---

Carried-Over-Tier (Escalation of commitment?)

Sword Art Online
The new story arc in the second half of the series has been mostly pretty awful due to dumb fanservice pandering, not-incest tropes, and generally a lack of anything worthwhile happening. It's getting better though, with two episodes of back-to-back solid action recently. Overall though, it's quite annoying to watch most of the time. A pity because the new game being played is much more interesting than the original one.

Saint Seiya Omega
The Gold Saint story arc this season has been pretty good, even though production values are once again on the decline. It's hardly as bad as the previous arc though, since it doesn't look like they'll have time for terrible filler episodes here. The gold saints introduced so far feel sufficiently strong, and the fights have been better than expected given the almost non-existent budget.

---

Dropped-Tier (Dropped)

- K
- Robotics;Notes
- Btooom!
- Chuu2Koi

Now seems as good a time as any to do a quick impressions recap of all the shows I'm still watching this season:

S-Tier (The best of the best this season)

Zetsuen no Tempest
Andogod returns to BONES to show the world once again what he and the studio are capable of given the right resources. The direction here is really in a class of its own, and the action set pieces are extremely well thought out and often executed with outstanding animation. The orchestrated soundtrack is fantastic, and really elevates the tone of the work. This show also features some of the best voice work I've heard in a long time.

This show is cheesy, over-the-top, and kinda stupid at times, but it is also full of classic 90s shounen action flavor. Everything from the character designs, the action, the script, and the music is totally retro in a good and fun way. Nice effects animation and a badass lead who's a stone cold killer doesn't hurt either.

---
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures
Probably the greatest low production value to high entertainment value ratio there is this season, it proves that with enough heart and with good source material, even a cheap production can turn out well. This show can be pretty ugly most of the time, but it's also really entertaining, crazy, and really fast paced. The music direction is also a stand out this season.

Gyrozetter
This is how I like to see a kid anime done. It's a simple concept which also has certain gimmicks (which unsurprisingly tie into the franchise's origins as a card battle arcade game), but the characters are also silly but fun, and there are a lot of varied robot designs. The pace can be a little slow at times, but it always feels honest and fun. Even the filler can be pretty good so far. Those not looking to watch something childish and silly probably won't get much out of it, but for those interested in something more light-hearted and relaxing, it's pretty good stuff.

Dropped-Tier (Dropped)

- K
- Robotics;Notes
- Btooom!
- Chuu2Koi

How does one drop K but keep JoJo or Medaka Box, both lacking in production values and music (K ost > JoJo's and more varied, imo), and the character designs and visuals of K are more appealing than JoJo.

Id have Blast of Tempest as a best too and Gyrozetter is depressingly awesome.

RightStuf's shipment for Serial Experiments Lain arrived today. The box feels much sturdier than the other DVD/BR combos I have, and the cases are a snug fit. The bonus gift is just a 6 inch sticker, but I guess it is sturdy enough to be called a decal.

I am still going through the art book, which only has the original Japanese text unlike the Restore booklet. It would have been nice to see the translations in the booklet to at least be able to read the meanings behind the art and preserve the material at the same time.

Also to note, the Blu-ray cases are the recyclable ones. And do not forget to gently take off the back label sticker before taking off the wrapping if you wish to keep it.

duckroll

How does one drop K but keep JoJo or Medaka Box, both lacking in production values and music (K ost > JoJo's and more varied, imo), and the character designs and visuals of K are more appealing than JoJo.

Id have Blast of Tempest as a best too and Gyrozetter is depressingly awesome.

I dropped K for health reasons. It was hazardous to my eyesight.

Grzi

Since you liked episode of nami duckroll & jex I would recommend checking out Movie 9 Episode of Chopper.

it's a readaptations of the chopper arc with a few very minor changes being What if -chopper was recruited after Franky.

I keep recommending this movie to people here but no one seems to care. I think I'll rewatch it one of these days and write a nice review, that might work.
It is a much better retelling than episode of Nami, mostly because of higher production values - the animation truly is wonderful.

I'd say it's almost as good as the sixth movie, it's definitely the second best One Piece film.

Watch it now! ;___;

Pooya

The best show so far, my fave.
Zetsuen no Tempest
My Little Monster

both had next to no hype too. I don't even care if Tempest story goes completely non sense, everything is so well made and well directed it's really enjoyable to watch even that.

Mid-tier, ok shows

Chuu2 - I was going into this for some good Kyoani animation after Hyouka, it wasn't that still not bad though. I actually liked the silly humor but then it's somewhat turning into drama now and that feels a bit forced maybe. It's ok, silly time waster. characters are cute and amusing.

From the New World - This started amazing, then took a nose dive in both story telling and animation quality, a huge nose dive but it's seemingly recovering after last week. It can still end up really good overall.

Huge Disappointment

Psycho-Pass - I will still watch this to the end because I'm still curious and optimistic, but after 7 episodes and waiting to something happen, a development, a good plot? nothing is happening, I'm bored of it. There are characters in the cast that are completely redundant still, why? instead we get a lot of boring and full of nothing scenes.

Dropped:

Magi - watched 6 episodes - I'm not familiar with the manga but the anime is painfully bland and everything has an artificial cheapness to it, characters, dialog, everything. I can see there are some interesting things about the setting and the whole magi thing but if I want to follow the story this anime seems to be not a good way to do that.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures - watched 2 episodes - I've read JoJo ages ago and I liked it but the anime isn't to my interest at the moment, probably will wait until it's over and then catch up. I like to see other things that I don't know what will happen, indifferent right now. It wasn't bad just not in the mood.

Haven't watched at all, don't really care or I know I'd hate it

Medaka Box Abnormal
Gyrozetter
K
Robotics;Notes
Btooom!

Girls und Panzer
haven't watched even a single episode, but I think I will give this a chance after overwhelmingly positive reception around here :D

BluWacky

Space Bros. I don't think anyone has anything to say against the show as a whole.

I sort-of do... I found the pacing far too slow in the second exam arc, which is why I dropped the show. I felt it lost much sense of "compulsion" to watch it - given that
Mutta was never likely to fail the exam
, I couldn't feel much tension about watching the next episode, particularly when not very much was happening.

I mean, it was nice and all, but I suspect it's the kind of story that I might enjoy better as a manga. There wasn't enough happening that was interesting to watch, rather than read, for my tastes.

I sort-of do... I found the pacing far too slow in the second exam arc, which is why I dropped the show. I felt it lost much sense of "compulsion" to watch it - given that
Mutta was never likely to fail the exam
, I couldn't feel much tension about watching the next episode, particularly when not very much was happening.

I mean, it was nice and all, but I suspect it's the kind of story that I might enjoy better as a manga. There wasn't enough happening that was interesting to watch, rather than read, for my tastes.

I see where you are coming from, though the character moments were enough to keep it compelling for me. Still, that's pretty mild criticism compared to what even the more well-liked shows on here have received.

Blast of Tempest 8
tumblr_mdy7luSdeN1rn98vpo1_500.gif

That was an incredible episode and leaves me wondering who to side with, probably whatever Mahiro's decision will be regarding Samon or Hakaze with the Tree of Exodus and Tree of Genesis stuff.

My face when Hakaze reacted
to the time traveling was one of joy. It was her face expression she made at that moment combined with knocking the barrel over and taking a few steps. What even. There is no way she could actually help Mahiro with whom killed Aika and worst, if she is two years in the past, then I wonder how she died, assuming no magical genjutsu is involved.

Yoshino needs to get to thinking and stuff so he can actually help Mahiro, its been kind of sad at times when he starts to really nearly throw in the towel since he is often just thinking there was nothing he could say to Mahiro. Mahiro lines were good too especially while with the gun and his whole classic literature quote there.

Grzi

Hmmm, my rankings would probably go like this:

Best
JoJo
Zetsuen no Tempest
Chuu2koi
Girls und Panzer
Magi

Very Good
From the New World
Medaka Box
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Good
Psycho-Pass
Robotics;Notes
Ixion Saga DT

Bad but watchable
K
Btooom!

Need to catch up (or drop)
Gyrozetter
Little Busters

I'd rank the shows that I carried over from previous seasons like this:

Best
Hunter X Hunter (possibly the best currently ongoing show)
Space Brothers

Very Good
Tanken Driland

Good
Saint Seiya Omega (this one varies a LOT, when it's good it's really great, lately it has been on a roll so it might rise up the charts)
Sword Art Online (stupid, but pretty and fun)

League of its own
Kingdom

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
After finally sleeping through the shit that was last night, in honor of the DmC Demo

Zetsuen no Tempest
Fuck you

Psycho-Pass

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Grzi

Here's an October 2012 Sakuga MAD featuring an AMAZING fight scene from Tanken Driland that I think no one in the thread has seen yet.

No, seriously, wonzo, DTL, R_thanatos, firehawk12 and whoever else is watching - you need to see this, or maybe not, since you'll spoil yourselves, but seriously, shit got me so hype, god damn, can't wait to watch that episode. Holy shit, it's so good!

Here's an October 2012 Sakuga MAD featuring an AMAZING fight scene from Tanken Driland that I think no one in the thread has seen yet.

No, seriously, wonzo, DTL, R_thanatos, firehawk12 and whoever else is watching - you need to see this, or maybe not, since you'll spoil yourselves, but seriously, shit got me so hype, god damn, can't wait to watch that episode. Holy shit, it's so good!

If only we werent still so far behind, should have known
hime would have such powers

Ultimadrago

I see you all have discovered the truth. Nothing but disappointment exists in this world. Everything and everyone will betray you, yourself most of all.

Let's make the suicide pact.

Hold it! Hold it! No such pacts need to be made.

Heck, thanks to a great backlog and a good live-action show here and there I had no reason to jump (or at least hold tight) on any "hype train" this season nor last. There's not a single justifiable reason keep myself relying on the current anime season for enjoyment and my overall experience this Fall season has been better for noticing that.

You know as well as anyone that the medium is sizable enough to watch something awesome whenever you want (even if it's not currently airing). Please don't become a slave to your expectations. We (and the people betraying/disappointing you) are only human.

Of course, I'm not saying someone's wrong for looking forward to anything. However, dipped expectations will happen, as will exceeded expectations. Speaking on television in general, the outcome is likely out of your hands. No one (not even yourself) needs or wants you to bear all the emotional weight for unfortunate showings.

Steroyd

Seizon no Ichizon Lv2 - 05

Today I watched Seizon No Ichizon Level 2 episode 5 not to be confused with Seizon No Ichizon Level 2 episode 4, because it's the next episode after that one.

MC had some alone time with the loli president.

Mayafu the fujioshi used her BL vision in a shop.

MC and a string of misunderstandings is now seen as incestuous, but it's okay because they're step-siblings.

That is all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Psycho Pass the butter please dear

Guess I have low standards, or have put up with too much CSI, because this week's Psycho Pass didn't really phase me. Just replace the Psycho Pass with country fairs and the weird philosophy from the baddies with a recipe for the perfect jam roly poly and it's basically an episode of Midsomer Murders set in the future.

However I do feel this story is being stretched a bit far. They know the victim is from a school and a suspect from a similar previous case was also from there so they didn't think to go straight there to investigate.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif

Girls und Pandering to the audience

While it was obvious they were going to win (because that's how these stories always go) sometimes that's what you want from these tournament arcs. However I felt it was spoilt by the predictable bit of drama that shovelled in at the end. The moment the phone rang I knew what happened.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif

Chuunibyou before you swallow

I liked it.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif

Polar Bear Cafe Raff

I liked it.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif

Suggestions of suicide pacts

There'll be no on the edge admiration of sunsets while I'm on watch.

iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif

So I Guess Mid-Season Ranking Time With Bonus Commentary:

S Tier:
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Still my favorite show of the season. It is a wonderful adaptation from the manga, doing just about everything right.
Gintama' Enchousen: After almost finally catching up, this show continues to shine even in reruns.
Kyousogiga II: This would be an even better show if it was weekly and 30 minutes, but the shorter running time and the more focused stories is working well for it.

A Tier:
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: A show that sounds like nothing but pandering is instead working well with the problems, relationships with its fun cast of characters.
Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki: Roundcat is still amazing.
Robotics;Notes: The last few episodes have been tossing out wacky theories like no tomorrow and I just can't stop wanting more.
Medaka Box Abnormal: Now with actual fighting, it is pretty entertaining.
Zetsuen no Tempest: Show still looks, sounds and feels great but of course we're heading into talking material so this will test how it weather the storm.
K: Another show where explaining more of the plot is actually making it quite interesting and I want to see where it'll go with all the blue tint and CG copters it has.

B Tier:
Code Breaker: Useless heroine and the hero that she tags herself with, the supporting cast is just amazing. They should spend more time on them instead of OGAMI!
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!: KyoAni is still working its magic, yet the characters aren't really going anywhere and gifable antics can only last so long.
Kami-sama Hajimemashita: An average reverse harem at this point but it is boosted by the fun presentation of the show.
Magi: It is starting to get interesting sometimes. It still feels off even though I don't know why.
Ixion Saga DT: Dirty jokes can only last so long especially when it is the same one. Slightly enjoyable at some points, dull at others.

C Tier:
PSYCHO-PASS: All this talking and going nowhere isn't doing it any favors. All that manservice might be.
Teekyuu: Lightning fast jokes where I don't even laugh at most of them, average art, at least it is only 5 minutes.
Wooser no Sonohi Gurashi: They might as well make this the Mamoru Miyano characters showcase.
Sukitte Iinyao: Even more average shoujo with the same plot rerunning itself for the third time already.
Naruto SD: Average comedy that's sometimes funny and sometimes boring.

D Tier:
Ebiten - Koritsu Ebisugawa Koukou Tenmon-Bu: I have no idea what it is doing anymore and this has basically been an obligation to finish it at this point.

E Tier:
Sword Art Online: Slap a new paint job, add wings, lower the stakes, toss in a new object of lust, make someone even more cartoony evil, and you still have the same Batman running around, saving the day.

Hold it! Hold it! No such pacts need to be made.

Heck, thanks to a great backlog and a good live-action show here and there I had no reason to jump (or at least hold tight) on any "hype train" this season nor last. There's not a single justifiable reason keep myself relying on the current anime season for enjoyment and my overall experience this Fall season has been better for noticing that.

You know as well as anyone that the medium is sizable enough to watch something awesome whenever you want (even if it's not currently airing). Please don't become a slave to your expectations. We (and the people betraying/disappointing you) are only human.

Of course, I'm not saying someone's wrong for looking forward to anything. However, dipped expectations will happen, as will exceeded expectations. Speaking on television in general, the outcome is likely out of your hands. No one (not even yourself) needs or wants you to bear all the emotional weight for unfortunate showings.

I am rational enough to know the truth but unfortunately emotional enough that impulsive feelings can override the more sensible part of my brain. That is itself part of being human, I suppose.

At any rate, I am feeling better. I've actually just started rewatching Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and I'm pleased to report that that show is still awesome. I could watch this all day. :)

Narag

I like those character designs. On a sem-related note, it's strange to have some preconceived notion of a show then see the OP or something and realize you were way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom