• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twelve volumes and ongoing? :(
How much of it should I read to give myself some context for the OVAs?

I think something like the beginning of volume 7.

If you really don't care about the story, you don't HAVE to read the manga. That's just what I did and had a good time.

duckroll

I'm sorry but F/Z Berserker will never be the correct anything.

The revolution has arrived. The people are at the gates. It's time for you to give it up and submit to the new reign of CG action, Girls und Panzer, and Code:Breaker. I'm sorry but sometimes, you just have to let it go.

Jex

RightStuf's shipment for Serial Experiments Lain arrived today. The box feels much sturdier than the other DVD/BR combos I have, and the cases are a snug fit. The bonus gift is just a 6 inch sticker, but I guess it is sturdy enough to be called a decal.

I am still going through the art book, which only has the original Japanese text unlike the Restore booklet. It would have been nice to see the translations in the booklet to at least be able to read the meanings behind the art and preserve the material at the same time.

Also to note, the Blu-ray cases are the recyclable ones. And do not forget to gently take off the back label sticker before taking off the wrapping if you wish to keep it.

Ah, so mine's probably on it's way from America. It's going to take a while to arrive, me thinks.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The revolution has arrived. The people are at the gates. It's time for you to give it up and submit to the new reign of CG action, Girls und Panzer, and Code:Breaker. I'm sorry but sometimes, you just have to let it go.
First they took away my cels, now 2D animation? What else can they pry from my cold dead hands?

Jex

Lol, was coming here to post the exact same thing, though i didn't drop it. :p

But seriously, the show has two main problems imo:

- Too many characters. Why are Yayoi and Akira Ishida even there? Stop wasting time and focus more on the characters and their relationships. Shinya and Gino, Gino and Masaomi, Shinya and his reasons (this episode did that, but it could have be done sooner by dropping some hints about Sasayama), etc. The animu would have been 120% better if Akane wasn't there and Shinya was the MC, being badass and angsting about his past (possibly half-naked) while having moral dilemmas. Or something.

The problem with the show isn't that it has "too many characters". That just means that the script and story fail to utilize the cast that they have available. I've seen shows with larger casts that are used far, far better.

duckroll

First they took away my cels, now 2D animation? What else can they pry from my cold dead hands?

I would say painted backgrounds, but it looks like they've already taken those too, while no one was looking. Whoops!

The problem with the show isn't that it has "too many characters". That just means that the script and story fail to utilize the cast that they have available. I've seen shows with larger casts that are used far, far better.

Yeah, for example, Girls und Panzer has about 35 characters so far in just 6 episodes!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Glad to see that you're feeling a little better, hosanna. I've been genuinely worried for you.

I'm not making a suicide pact unless it involves madpierrot and Inu-yasha!

Most painless suicide ever for me.

Wait. You're not actually suggesting that we...............really do marathon it, are you?

...because the fifty-seven volumes of Inuyasha on DVD sitting on my shelf can arrange that.

Medaka Box Abnormal 07

uleDj.jpg
AJsrw.jpg

Uh huh...

Gotta say that was fun. Even though it was mostly talking, this show just makes it interesting enough to keep caring.

duckroll

Medaka Box Abnormal - Episode 7

Not going to use any images because they're all lewd, and this is a lewd episode for lewd people. everyone has already posted anything worth posting other than bigass spoilers which we shouldn't be posting anyway!

This episode was a bit of a breather after three consecutive episodes of pure fighting, so I'm okay with it. The revelations didn't really mean much to me since I don't particular care about the characters themselves, but it was still entertaining because some of it was honestly pretty damn funny. The humor in the show is generally pretty good. The entire episode was pretty budget though, I guess Gainax has to take a break after actually animating a few fights, lol. Looks like we're going to get back to bashing people in the face next week though, yay!

Jex

I don't remember F/Z novel exposition being so invasive.

Exposition in books tends to come out far worse when you try and directly translate it into, say, a tv show or a movie. The same is true when you translate dialogue heavy content from a visual novel into an anime. Different things work in different mediums.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Diebuster 3 - 6 (end)

1262376-YSGKTJL.jpg

What a fucking mess. I figured I'd wait to post this so I could sleep on my feelings and see if they change. Unfortunately I only feel mildly better about it than I did last night. It might have been a mistake to watch these two shows back to back, since Gunbuster left such a strong impression with me. Gunbuster is a powerhouse of emotions and empathy. What it lacks in presentation, it makes up for in substance and heart. It also has (next to some 80's themed synth-pop and taiko-beating folk music) a sweeping orchestral score. "Sadness" is played during the final decent through the surface of Jupiter and it carries with it all the themes of sacrifice, cosmic grandeur, loneliness, and heroism that have been built up until this moment. Go ahead, listen for yourself. It is incredibly foreboding and moving in a way that nothing in Diebuster can possibly match. The same could be said of just about all of Gunbuster's score, and I found it incredibly cheap how Diebuster reused several of Gunbuster's arrangements during moments where they were not needed, and lent no additional weight.

Diebuster is visually arresting however- cosmic backdrops are laid out like centerfolds for us to all drool over, but they only appear on the screen for mere seconds, being whisked away hastily for the next scene or bit of information. Zero time is spent attaching the characters to their world. Diebuster suffers from poor pacing and editing problems, and instead favors an ADD style of story beats and animation sequences to get us from one piece to the next. It bounces from one important plot point to useless dialog and back with the same tempo, like a confused child who can't tell the difference. The antagonist in Diebuster isn't sentient (or at least, it isn't malevolent), so the show tries to wear the same conflict of man vs nature and himself, but it does so only superficially. Nono already has everything she needs to be a hero, and L'arc has but brief moments of insecurity. There is little to overcome, and little to be celebrated afterwards. And where a show like TTGL features the same kind of over the top level of wackiness, there is a natural escalation getting there. Every episode of Diebuster is a climax, so there is no sense of tension or consequence during its finale.

Design and presentation wise, I could barely tell that this anime is almost 10 years old. Everything looked really nice (and this bit here is just my opinion), but I felt that Diebuster was a little too conceptual. The Buster machines can materialize at will, tech gadgets without explanation are placed on everything, runway fashion is utilitarian. All of this is interesting - but I appreciate a little function with my form, if you know what I mean. Very little of what makes Diebuster look so good actually matters, or contributes to the story. It feels like it's trying too hard to distract us with neat ideas rather than to tell us a compelling story. While I thought the animation overall was decent, there were some questionable uses of CG, where scenes before and after were animated perfectly fine without the help. I understand using CG to animate a horde of defense units, but it raises an eyebrow when two or three hand drawn scenes of Dix-Neuf are placed around a CG shot of him doing essentially the same thing. I'm tired of drawing Dix-Neuf shooting missiles guys - okay, well just use the CG model for the next shot.

I don't think Diebuster is a bad anime, I just think it has the incredible misfortune of being associated with Gunbuster. And that really isn't fair, but that's how it is. On its own it might have been an interesting visual project, but as a follow up, it fails to capture any of the sincerity of its predecessor.

In short, Gunbuster is classic, timeless, and elegant. It doesn't waste your time, and it has a level of respect for the viewer. Diebuster is clumsy, unthematic, and emotionally void.

Gunbuster is like the perfect woman. She's a sugar mama, who will take you out and pay for dinner. When you get home she'll ask you what position you like best. She's older and more experienced.

Diebuster is your bratty little teenage date. Cute as hell, but she expects you to buy everything - and to pay attention to every single thing she says even when it doesn't matter. When you get her in bed, it's awkward as fuck and you have to reassure her a million times before you can even stick it in.

Gunbuster is a fine wine, a whiskey on the rocks. Diebuster is a fucking lemon drop, etc...

7/10

Hagi

Oh, okay. I wouldn't actually be bothered if you did hate it, I just enjoy feeedback. I'm still working through my own god damn thread from 2010: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414748

Wow i was just going to kindly ask if you guys could recommend a relapsed anime fan some obscure shows he might have missed and here i find this. Thanking you!

Sunred, Mouryou no Hako and Aoi Bungaku instantly caught my eye. Only shows i'm watching this season are JoJo and Magi so it'll be nice to have some others.

/XX/

It's a whole different beast from the original. I need to give it a proper rewatch before I can solidify my opinion on it. The Gunbuster ties probably hurt it more than they help it, ending aside.
And music aside! The possibility of hearing those tracks again in rearrangements and new ones made it all good!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Damn, I hit reply too early. Had to make some edits.

It's a whole different beast from the original. I need to give it a proper rewatch before I can solidify my opinion on it. The Gunbuster ties probably hurt it more than they help it, ending aside.

It was fun, but forgettable - but that's about all I can say. It was also unnecessary. Gunbuster was like making love tenderly and being satisfied. Diebuster is like getting up immediately after that and trying to jerk off ferociously. It's twice the work and there are no feelings attached. The ending was cool I guess. I said "hey, that's neat", but I almost had tears in my eyes when Gunbuster ended.

Damn Extollere, I had the exact opposite reaction. Diebuster was a lot more emotional for me than Gunbuster, which I didn't see as anything special.

That's like spitting out a rare piece of filet mignon, and choosing to eat mac and cheese instead.

/XX/

Diebuster's OST is better than Gunbuster's. Kouhei Tanaka's skills have aged like a fine wine, as we learned from Hyouka.
Here it was said in recent conversations he hasn't been inspired lately for One Piece compositions, but Mr. Tanaka's magic accompanying with that track the moment Chitanda is being surrounded by flying cherry tree petals makes up for everything else he has made recently!

cajunator

Banned
I was just going to say. lol

Also, since when were Hyouka and Tsuritama hyped??

Here they were but overall Im not sure. I was super hyped for Tsuritama because of aliens and fishing and that art style and it delivered for me. Hyouka was more like "might as well watch it cause hnnng and KyoAni"

Did I wake up in an alternate reality where people consider Sakurasou to be good? Holy hell. :lol

Sakurasou is quality entertainment. The main girl is horrifically boring but appears to have feelings of some sort so thats improvement.

RightStuf's shipment for Serial Experiments Lain arrived today. The box feels much sturdier than the other DVD/BR combos I have, and the cases are a snug fit. The bonus gift is just a 6 inch sticker, but I guess it is sturdy enough to be called a decal.

I am still going through the art book, which only has the original Japanese text unlike the Restore booklet. It would have been nice to see the translations in the booklet to at least be able to read the meanings behind the art and preserve the material at the same time.

Also to note, the Blu-ray cases are the recyclable ones. And do not forget to gently take off the back label sticker before taking off the wrapping if you wish to keep it.

Its the recyclable packaging? Damn it I hate that crap :(
At least its bluray so if the cover gets punctures it wont damage my precious discs.
They should leave that kind of packaging to bargain bin dvd packaging.

Psycho Pass the butter please dear

Guess I have low standards, or have put up with too much CSI, because this week's Psycho Pass didn't really phase me. Just replace the Psycho Pass with country fairs and the weird philosophy from the baddies with a recipe for the perfect jam roly poly and it's basically an episode of Midsomer Murders set in the future.

However I do feel this story is being stretched a bit far. They know the victim is from a school and a suspect from a similar previous case was also from there so they didn't think to go straight there to investigate.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif

Girls und Pandering to the audience

While it was obvious they were going to win (because that's how these stories always go) sometimes that's what you want from these tournament arcs. However I felt it was spoilt by the predictable bit of drama that shovelled in at the end. The moment the phone rang I knew what happened.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif

Chuunibyou before you swallow

I liked it.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif

Polar Bear Cafe Raff

I liked it.

itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif
itXfkqEipSEcV.gif

Suggestions of suicide pacts

There'll be no on the edge admiration of sunsets while I'm on watch.

iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif
iNXUmtPjCdGkL.gif

I just want to say that I LOVE your rating scale and fully endorse the usage of it :D

Awesome:
Space Bros: Endearing. Inspirational. Memorable. This is my favorite kind of anime.
JOJO: FABULOUS MANLINESS. SHOUNEN SOUL!
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Classic shoujo zaniness, with likeable characters galore, Kana Hanazawa being super adorable, and hilarious and memorable lines. Plus an atrocious cock.
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!: KyoAni know what they're doing. They are slowly killing me with Cute but simultaneously playing with my heartstrings. I am addicted to this show.

Watchable:
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: Unexpectedly decent. The main girl is featureless but the supporting cast makes up for it extremely well.
Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki: Started a couple episodes. Good daily dose of hnngh.
Robotics;Notes: barely started it but it has a really cute genki girl so thats something.
Magi: Mor Mor Mor. How do you like it? How do you like it? Mor Mor Mor!
PSYCHO-PASS: Urobuchi delivers as usual. Akane is love. I need to watch more of it.
Girls Und Panzer: Girls. Tanks. Cute. Battles. Bad CG. Hnngh.

Dropped because its shit
Sword Art Online: Started out kind of fun but I do not share the same appreciation for MMORPG gaming so I havent been too enthused. Silica and Lisbeth were bright spots quickly pushed by the wayside for cardboard cutout characters. Even the interesting guy characters were swept aside like decoration. On the plus side, Yui was cute and SAO mercifully ended quickly and has apparently paved the way for a much more interesting looking game, as well as introducing Imouto. Still, too little too late.

Ben-To was incredible. Such a fascinating idea, plus Ice Witch is a goddess. Highly enjoyable.

That's like spitting out a rare piece of filet mignon, and choosing to eat mac and cheese instead.

Sorry, but I found Nono's story to be more empathetic than Boriko's. Other than the ending, I really didn't care for Gunbuster, and that kind of stuff needs good buildup which IMO it didn't have. Diebuster's ending on the other hand made me want to cry.

Articalys

Hey, at least A Letter to Momo is winning Australian film awards.
Hiroyuki Okiura and Production I.G's A Letter to Momo film won the Best Animated Feature category at the 6th Asian Pacific Screen Awards on Friday in Brisbane, Australia. Composer Ryuichi Sakamoto (Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise, Appleseed) received the 2012 APSA FIAPF award for Outstanding Achievement in Film, and he performed two pieces from the films Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence and The Last Emperor live at the awards ceremony.

A Letter to Momo competed for Best Animated Feature against Goro Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's From Up On Poppy Hill, Kônosuke Uda and Toei's Rainbow Fireflies (Niji-Iro Hotaru ~Eien no Natsu Yasumi~), Mamoru Hosoda and Studio Chizu's Wolf Children, and George Miller and Warner Brothers' Happy Feet 2. This is the first Japanese win in this category since Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeters Per Second took home the honor in 2007.

Jex

Hey, at least A Letter to Momo is winning Australian film awards.
Better than Wolf's Children? I can't really imagine seeing both those movies and being more impressed by A Letter to Momo. On any level. If anything, I think the comparison would hurt Momo because they both have kind-of-similar concepts except that Momo is considerably more predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom