• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Huh. I mean, I like Momo a great deal (I saw it three times!), but, man, against Wolf Children? I don't know what they were thinking...

Better than Wolf's Children? I can't really imagine seeing both those movies and being more impressed by A Letter to Momo.

Come on guys, Hosoda is an up and coming director who already enjoys commercial success. He'll continue making movies regularly for the foreseeable future, and the best is yet to come. Okiura on the other hand might never direct another movie again after this. It's now or never. Have some pity!

Andrew J.

Better than Wolf's Children? I can't really imagine seeing both those movies and being more impressed by A Letter to Momo. On any level. If anything, I think the comparison would hurt Momo because they both have kind-of-similar concepts except that Momo is considerably more predictable.

Probably had points taken off for
bestiality.

DiGiKerot

Better than Wolf's Children? I can't really imagine seeing both those movies and being more impressed by A Letter to Momo. On any level. If anything, I think the comparison would hurt Momo because they both have kind-of-similar concepts except that Momo is considerably more predictable.

I think Momo has, if not necessarily better, than certainly somewhat more consistent animation than Wolf Children - there're some pretty bad looking CG crowds toward the beginning of Wolf Children that're pretty easy to forget about by the time you get to the end of the movie.

Robotics;Notes 7
tumblr_mdylf6B5CF1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Frau is really the best female character, all of her comments, desires, and then the images on her computre, wish they went in closer for the middle monitor, only a small part of the 1TB BL folder.

Subaru was funny with that line about the photoshoot of Yashio in his birthday suit, and then his awkwardness and blushing
when he finally decided to join the club back

Its gotten really suspenseful and such, even found myself jump at one point.
That story following after the urban legend when their phone ring I had jumped. That was just one crazy story about the 13 people that died so the last episode of Gunvarrel couldnt air. I assume its somehow connected to the other thing of the song that was playing. Scarily interesting.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Psycho Pass the butter please dear
Girls und Pandering to the audience
Chuunibyou before you swallow
Polar Bear Cafe Raff
Suggestions of suicide pacts
I found these way more amusing than I probably should have.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a whole different beast from the original. I need to give it a proper rewatch before I can solidify my opinion on it. The Gunbuster ties probably hurt it more than they help it, ending aside.

While I completely disagree for the most part, it did feel like Diebuster belonged in a completely different franchise.

Damn Extollere, I had the exact opposite reaction. Diebuster was a lot more emotional for me than Gunbuster, which I didn't see as anything special.

Yep, Diebuster was way more emotional for me.

Hagi

Magi 07 said:

FFFFUUUUUU it was painfully obvious from the get go but for some reason i still had some sense of surprise. I hope we get a 40 thieves reference.
I don't know what it is about this series but it's just something really fun to watch. The characters, the setting it's just clicked for me. I guess i still have a soft spot for shounen. I'm excited to see where this arc is going and how the three will deal with each others respective goals. I liked that they introduced Sinbad a seemingly badass, king of the dungeon clearers just to have him lose all his seven artifacts offscreen. Tropes like that never get old.

It's tempting to read the manga especially when i've read a lot of praise for it but at the moment i'm more than happy following the anime.

Hagi

I have no idea what you are talking about >_>

Speaking of [C] it's the only series i haven't watched of Nakamuras. I'll have to remedy that some day. Tsuritama was great.

Hagi

I'll save you some time.

DO NOT!!

Hmm i'll admit i have not heard such great things about it and while i applaud you kind stranger for trying to steer me in the right direction i'll probably still watch it just to see how bad, if at all it is. In my experience being an anime fan can be a lot like a deer caught in headlights.

Novid

Banned
I wonder if you folks remember or heard of a play called "Passing Strange"? My goal one day is create a play just like it but with all of the tropes you know from anime and north american animation.

who knows...maybe it will be the great 21st century play - but then again all dreams end badly

I have no idea what you are talking about >_>

Speaking of [C] it's the only series i haven't watched of Nakamuras. I'll have to remedy that some day. Tsuritama was great.

[C] is quite fun, cool main character, great looking attack and attack names, and really thought provoking. Just rewatched it two or three weeks ago.

Rinne no Lagrange OVA: Kamogawa Days
tumblr_mdypipcE331qbxqfpo1_500.png

Although got Kirius, Array (and some non maid outfit), and Izo screentime it was a pretty bad ova. Confused how they have an ova of something that is in the mecha genre but features no mecha action, and worst feels like some huge advertisement to show off the beauty of Kamogawa
That replica in Polyhedron even
. Sure I chuckled and laughed at some of it, but mostly it was all the stuff I disliked in the tv anime just spread over 43 minutes...
sure friendship stuff but they like never meet madoka at all and worst, why would I want to care about the friendship between three unappealing characters?
. 4/10.

Backgrounds looked amazing most of the time.

Instro

Come on guys, Hosoda is an up and coming director who already enjoys commercial success. He'll continue making movies regularly for the foreseeable future, and the best is yet to come. Okiura on the other hand might never direct another movie again after this. It's now or never. Have some pity!

Dragon Ball Z!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rinne no Lagrange OVA: Kamogawa Days
tumblr_mdypipcE331qbxqfpo1_500.png

Although got Kirius, Array (and some non maid outfit), and Izo screentime it was a pretty bad ova. Confused how they have an ova of something that is in the mecha genre but features no mecha action, and worst feels like some huge advertisement to show off the beauty of Kamogawa
That replica in Polyhedron even
. Sure I chuckled and laughed at some of it, but mostly it was all the stuff I disliked in the tv anime just spread over 43 minutes...
sure friendship stuff but they like never meet madoka at all and worst, why would I want to care about the friendship between three unappealing characters?
. 4/10.

Backgrounds looked amazing most of the time.

Looks to me your forgot who the main characters of the show were.

Hint:
They don't have penises.

=======================

Robotics;Notes - 03

Surprisingly fun episode. Bring me more
robot battles and hot onee-san and I'll warm up to this eventually.

Jex

I don't hand our pity prizes.

Steroyd

Hmm i'll admit i have not heard such great things about it and while i applaud you kind stranger for trying to steer me in the right direction i'll probably still watch it just to see how bad, if at all it is. In my experience being an anime fan can be a lot like a deer caught in headlights.

As long as your expectations are in the low end, then I've done my part.

What annoyed me most about it was the region locking, such wasted potential.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 8

~ Just as there is no immortal person, I'm afraid that there is also no indestructible nation ~

After all the action, time for some political mingling. Also nice bit of historical background.
I distrust Oberstein. Something about him seems off. Kircheis feels it too.
Interesting backflash showing another motivation for Reinhard's immensely ambitious goal.

Dem Prinny Dices. Amazingly those would be an awesome Christmas present for my brother.

Robotics;Notes 7

They should consider making a Gunvarrel anime someday.
[.img]https://twitpic.com/show/large/bftecy[/img]

Do you want the same ending?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
two shows with offical NeoGAF threads!
Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything. lol
I mean, Hyouka is the show to hate because it's KyoAni after all!

I sort-of do... I found the pacing far too slow in the second exam arc, which is why I dropped the show. I felt it lost much sense of "compulsion" to watch it - given that
Mutta was never likely to fail the exam
, I couldn't feel much tension about watching the next episode, particularly when not very much was happening.

I mean, it was nice and all, but I suspect it's the kind of story that I might enjoy better as a manga. There wasn't enough happening that was interesting to watch, rather than read, for my tastes.
My main criticism of the show is that it feels like a book instead of a television series. Treme/The Wire gets similar criticism, in that each episode doesn't have an "arc" as we understand it, but the pacing isn't as off because they have an hour to work with.

Having to pause every 20 minutes because of the artificial limits of anime broadcasting just ruins it. The fact that they have to run 2 minutes of recap at the start of each episode is just icing on the cake.

Which begs the question - why does anime have to fit into a 30 minute timeslot anyway? Jdramas get a full hour(ish), why not anime?

CorvoSol

Gurren Lagan episode 6 is the most amazing use of fan-service in my entire life. An entire episode in which the vast majority of the cast is buck-naked or near to it.

Oh, and one unwelcome child's uncensored genitals.

Also, the Yoko-Kamina shipping is in full-swing in this episode, and I welcome it with open man-arms.

Which begs the question - why does anime have to fit into a 30 minute timeslot anyway? Jdramas get a full hour(ish), why not anime?

Given that some anime barely make the deadline each week (bluray updates), I can only imagine that hour weekly anime would start basically being storyboards.

It's actually my favorite of Nakamura's works, with Tsuritama coming in at 2nd.

That being said, I don't like anything else from him, so it might not be a good idea to listen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom