• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Sakurasou 6

sakupet6.jpg

going by this episode, nanami getting :kanna'd is gonna be fucking incredible

CorvoSol

Aside from her entirely ridiculous appearance, I'm tempted to claim that Yoko is the only sane person in Gurren Lagann. Errybody else runs on crazy crazy crazy all day long. Not that that's a bad thing at all. The show is just pure fun.

sonicmj1

Diebuster 3 - 6 (end)

I don't think Diebuster is a bad anime, I just think it has the incredible misfortune of being associated with Gunbuster. And that really isn't fair, but that's how it is. On its own it might have been an interesting visual project, but as a follow up, it fails to capture any of the sincerity of its predecessor.

In short, Gunbuster is classic, timeless, and elegant. It doesn't waste your time, and it has a level of respect for the viewer. Diebuster is clumsy, unthematic, and emotionally void.

Gunbuster is like the perfect woman. She's a sugar mama, who will take you out and pay for dinner. When you get home she'll ask you what position you like best. She's older and more experienced.

Diebuster is your bratty little teenage date. Cute as hell, but she expects you to buy everything - and to pay attention to every single thing she says even when it doesn't matter. When you get her in bed, it's awkward as fuck and you have to reassure her a million times before you can even stick it in.

Gunbuster is a fine wine, a whiskey on the rocks. Diebuster is a fucking lemon drop, etc...

7/10

While I wouldn't have put it quite the way you do, I felt the same way. Nono's hypergenki schtick made it really difficult for me to sympathize with her character arc, and the show's universe bounces all over the place so fast that it's hard to get grounded. Diebuster has a great look, but Gunbuster's development felt much more right to me, so the payoffs worked far, far better.

The comparison is really unfair to Diebuster, but if they didn't want to invite that, they shouldn't have called it "Top wo Nerae! 2".

Sorry it took me so long to reply, been traveling most of the week. Anyway I suppose I can break it down to three areas really.

1.The artstyle and animation-
The show really was full of fun animation and creative visual gags. The off-the-wall artstyle was a joy to watch and it was full of life. It added to the zany comedy and made the world feel alive.

2.Characters-
Each of the core characters had a developed personality but also were fairly interesting in their own light. They also had their own arcs and progressed over the series. Ninamori for example was handled extremely well and her chemistry with the other characters was fun to watch.

3.Theme-
At its core, it's a story about growing up. I think it handled this theme fairly well and showcased multiple aspects of this. The audience can see Naota grow and develop over the course of the series. The series not only successfully developed this theme but also provided fairly decent closure. It was one of the few Gainax shows that provided a solid ending of its own.

I agree with all of this. The stuff about the characters is especially important, which is why I was baffled by Cwarrior's criticisms.

In harem shows, and things close to them (like Steins;Gate), you can basically guarantee that every female character will be infatuated with the main character in some way, almost unconditionally. It's just a question of how intensely they express their feelings, and how the main character responds.

That isn't true in FLCL. Each of the women who show romantic interest in Naota (with the possible exception of Ninamori, who has a lot going on in that episode) doesn't actually care about him so much as what he represents to them.
Mamimi sees Naota as a stand-in for his older brother, and that relationships is both non-threatening and the one thing in her life she controls. After he "swings the bat" and tries to take her on a date in episode 5, she leaves. She doesn't actually want to be with him.

Similarly, Haruko
is, from the start, using Naota to get at Atomsk, showing interest to get him to do what she wants. But instead of surrendering her, Naota wants to meet her as an equal. That's not what she's after, so leaves at the end of the series.

Even Ninamori is dealing with a lot of stuff due to her parents' public divorce dispute, and she wants the school play to go off well for their sake more than anything else. And she wants to seem mature to the adults in her life, which also carries a lot of other expectations along with it.

In short, one of the things I really like about FLCL, which makes it a pretty good tale about growing up and seeing yourself in the world, is that all the characters have lives that don't need the protagonist at all. They have their own independent problems, insecurities, and aims. I guess Evangelion is similar that way, too.

On the other hand, if I try to think of what Mayuri or Kurisu would do, or want to do, without Okabe around, I honestly have no idea. Or, to use Ben-to as an example, I know what Sen would do if Satou weren't around, but she would collapse into a cardboard figure who takes lunch boxes after kicking people.

--

While I'm still fellating Gainax, is it weird that one of the first things I'd do with a time machine (that had a universal translator) is go back and see Daicon IV with everyone watching it the first time it was shown? That must have blown people's minds.

Medaka Box Abnormal 7

And that's why Naze is the 3rd best character. The voice seriously elevated this beyond its manga counterpart. Probably the best casting of the season.

Anything else that needs to be said already has been, so I'll just say it was a great episode despite being light on action. Can't wait for the conclusion and what's to come.

sonicmj1

Evangelion Q extended trailer.

I love Evangelion, I really do. But if
they bring Asuka back just to kill her horribly AGAIN, I will be an emotional wreck.
Like the new song thing though, also the animation at the piano! :O

God dammit Anno.

Seems like something that someone who hasn't seen the movie yet edited together based on every last inch of released footage.

Especially because (SPOILER of things that aren't in 3.0)
none of the footage from that 2.0 preview is actually used in 3.0)

Branduil

You know if I was part of the no-fun brigade I would mention how the term :kanna is technically a spoiler.

Of course the reason it should be allowed in context is because everyone already knows what happens to kannas. The only true spoiler is Japan's lack of originality.

Steroyd

Psycho Pass - 07

First half was alright, it looked like it was heading somewhere.... and then the whole second half was all about the murderer doing her thing which was already built up in the previous episode so I was kind of expecting the detectives to make some headway (okay I was expecting it to be solved or close to solved) instead of taking the only guy who knew what was going on off the team, and the whole second half being a long winded way of saying
"I'm continuing my fathers art."
It's quite annoying that a whole second half of an episode could have been condensed into one sentence with the exposition being cut down and explained later.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My Little Precure: Smile is Magic 14
Filler shit made with the purpose of selling even more toys to the little girls, but that didn't stop Fluttershy from being a nerd. I love Fluttershy when she's a nerd.
It did feature the return of my favourite non-Precure based on design alone. She reminds me of Ai Ebihara from Persona 4 and that gets my panties hot. What could have been. </3
Evangelion Q extended trailer.

I love Evangelion, I really do. But if
they bring Asuka back just to kill her horribly AGAIN, I will be an emotional wreck.
Like the new song thing though, also the animation at the piano! :O

God dammit Anno.
A lot of that is stuff from the 2.0 preview.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Does it really get that much better after the not-so-good first episode?

I don't think so, but I have only seen up to episode 4 or 5. I may have been hard on it due to my bitterness of some terrible pairing decisions they made but at most I guess I can say it's "alright"?

EBITEN 8

EBITEN .... became a serious show !!!

ETpsrl.jpg

NO i'm serious ..they actually had a plot during all those episodes and they actually knew what they were doing !!

i'm speechless !!

well that didn't prevent them from throwing a large amount of eichi and jokes , ebiten style !!

CorvoSol

I don't know why Meer needed augmentative surgery when Lacus seems to have already been well-endowed. Unless Meer was smaller than Lacus to begin with and they overcompensated?

Also: Big O ep. 7. Look like Phoenix Wright, Be Batman, Talk Smoooooooth. The only thing I dislike in this show is the OP, and whatever. Otherwise the show continues to be an amazing noir giant robot batman show with more than a few passing references to Asimov's Robot series. They live in domes, just like in his books! It's smart, it's classy, and to be honest, I almost wish the show was in black and white, just to play off its already strong noir feel. This is definitely the anime I would recommend.

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho-Pass 7-

Yea I definitely have a contrarian opinion on this episode. While I agree that the dialogue is very wonky, in that it's very heavily exposition related, the episode was overall fairly good. This is mainly because of the perspectives the conversations gave.

It finally gave some sort of context, something I feel the show has been sorely missing. The previous episodes, excluding the 2nd, have mainly just had a bunch of things happen on the screen and for the most part didn't really delve into them in any sort of depth. Even the two-parter prior to this arc was guilty of that, in the serial killer's motives were extremely shallow. Part of that I feel is the limitation of 20 minute episodes which works heavily against episodic material. It can work for genres such as comedy where investment in particular characters isn't necessary for a laugh but against things such as mysteries or dramas where attachment to some extent is needed. How can a person be attached to a certain mystery when the staff has less than 30 minutes to set up the background, the mystery itself, the characters involved in the mystery, as well as any possible resolution. Most dramas in the West are usually 45 minutes and I still think that's on the short side and is the bare minimum. You can see that in comparison to BBC's Sherlock which has time to really flesh out the mysteries and characters in them. That's why I disliked the third episode of Psycho-Pass so much because it's too short and clean-cut to be interesting in any way. If the last two arcs are indicative that PP is shifting away from episodic material and into longer arcs then I am very happy with this direction. I want more episodes delving into the psyche of the killers.

As for Oryo, the show hasn't really stated anything profound yet and it still feels like world-building. That said, it also felt a little like metacommentary on Urobuchi himself, something the show as a whole has kinda been bouncing off of. She also seemingly ties into the revolutionary component of the show in that the serial killers are seemingly directing their anger at society into murdering individuals. One thing I have loved about this show is the commentary on apathy in society, that of the obsession with objectiveness. There's also a running theme of maintaining the status quo, no matter the cost. The interesting thing about the second theme is that both sides, the criminals and police, are guilty of this.

There is something to be said though about the lack of attention to the Enforcers, not named Shinya, and quite frankly I don't think Urobuchi will ever really delve into Kagari, Yayoi, or Shion. Masaoka and Ginoza are definitely going to get their showtime, especially if the show goes the route of them being father/son, which is something Urobuchi would do. I expect those three background characters will get the axe at some point or another, which is fine as they're not particularly interesting characters on their own. The OP focuses on Shinya and Akane, and I expect that the show will reflect that and the primary focus will be on them. GITS: SAC didn't really delve into the crew until the second half and even then, was just one episode dedicated to the characters. I'm certainly not approving it, but I'm also not that disappointed either.

That said, the dialogue here is subpar in this episode. It feels like something a novel writer would have done. Surprise! It's also something the show has been suffering mainly in its philosophical discussions, in that the show is very heavy handed to the point of being a sledgehammer. A gigantic case in point was episode 5 where they just flat out show, the audience, the book 1984. It's ridiculously on-the-nose in that it assumes the audience couldn't figure out the similarities. The dialogue in this episode such as the conversation between Oryo and the delivery boy is so blunt that it does kinda smack you in the face. It's talking down to the audience, something I never approve.

However, I did like the content itself in that it did some world-building which was extremely interesting tidbits of information. The primary one being that
the average age is decreasing. This shows that the higher-ups know that the system is extremely fucked up and apparently don't care.
It paints many of the flaws of the system in a different light in that, the system is probably being used by the elite to oppress the plebs and don't really care how effective it is, as long as it maintains the status quo. This is the type of context I've been wanting to know about the system. Mainly because of how flawed the system is, I've been wondering who in their right mind would want to elect to be under something like that. There usually has to be some sort of Armageddon-type event for such oppressive societies to form or the elite abusing a system. There's still the possibility of WW3 or some nonsense in the background to justify the installation of the system in the first place but atleast the audience knows that people are aware that the system really isn't that effective.

I also liked the conversation between Shinya and Akane in Shinya's apartment as we finally see his perspective on the unsolved murder. I was expecting the two to be lovers and instead it seems to be the gruesome way the subordinate was killed that set off Shinya(they still could be lovers I guess but it's less likely now). Instead of the show just stating that Shinya was upset about the case, it somewhat showed why he was.

The production values also seem to have been better this week. This is a bit of a backhanded compliment though due to how poor the animation has been at times.

CorvoSol

Gundam SEED Destiny 7: 1)Athrun is the new Mu. 2)This reminds me why I hate XIII-2's ending.
because what's the point of two games preventing a colony drop if you do it anyway?
, 3)Lacus' singing voice seems a LOT better this time around. Maybe because it's not a grown woman doing the singing for an alleged teenager?

Uchip

Banned
Psycho-Pass 7-

after Fate Zero and parts of Madoka, were people really expecting there wouldn't be tons of silly anime dialogue and exposition? The main difference here is that the previous 2 anime had some really big events happen in the span of 7 episodes, so it feels a bit more uneventful.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Steroyd

after Fate Zero and parts of Madoka, were people really expecting there wouldn't be tons of silly anime dialogue and exposition? The main difference here is that the previous 2 anime had some really big events happen in the span of 7 episodes, so it feels a bit more uneventful.

Pretty much.

It doesn't feel like it's going to lead to the bigger picture, it feels like one of the small cases that would have taken an episode or two to solve, it doesn't help that they took a massive step backward in solving the case by taking away the best man for the job.

Jarmel

Banned
It doesn't feel like it's going to lead to the bigger picture, it feels like one of the small cases that would have taken an episode or two to solve, it doesn't help that they took a massive step backward in solving the case by taking away the best man for the job.

I actually thought that made some sense. Shinya has been obsessing over this case for a period of years and one finally breaks that has a connection, of course the dude is probably losing his shit. His report probably consisted of "Yo dude that's gonna be him. That's GOTTA be him. Dawg you gotta believe me."

I read a good analysis of the episode:
http://moesucks.com/2012/11/22/psycho-pass-ep-7-a-brave-new-world/

One of the points the blog points out is how the system seems to be against a person excelling at their job and it seems Shinya is a case of that, in that his zealousness is harming his career despite him probably being right.

wonzo

Banned
HidaSketch x Honeycomb 8

This was a pretty neat school festival episode, certainly helps that it's set in an art school! The highlight of the show was the
haunted house
exhibit with was funny as hell to watch. The
bonfire
at the end was :sdburton as hell (and even a lil' bit :dtl.

hidasketchxhoney8b.jpg

Branduil

From the New World 9

Oh yeah. Best episode since the first. It's so wonderful to go back to that atmosphere of creeping dread, especially when it's supported by ominous visuals. Not to mention that the sound and music design is truly outstanding and used to its fullest effect.

In a lot of ways this actually feels like the true "next" episode after the first, in the way that it follows up and expands upon the mysteries established in that one. And now the stakes are raised much higher. I'll never forgive you if you screw up this momentum, Yamauchi.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

If there's one thing that Robotics;Notes actually does right, it's realistically depicting the love-hate relationship with extremely unhealthy gas station food (or its Japanese equivalent) that many of us understand so shamefully well. That hell manju or whatever it was is pretty much an analogue to a Speedway hot dog.

Branduil

If there's one thing that Robotics;Notes actually does right, it's realistically depicting the love-hate relationship with extremely unhealthy gas station food (or its Japanese equivalent) that many of us understand so shamefully well. That hell manju or whatever it was is pretty much an analogue to a Speedway hot dog.

I think convenience stores are actually more popular in Japan than they are here. Another glorious American export.

cajunator

Banned
You know if I was part of the no-fun brigade I would mention how the term :kanna is technically a spoiler.

Of course the reason it should be allowed in context is because everyone already knows what happens to kannas. The only true spoiler is Japan's lack of originality.

Wouldn't getting Kanna'd be a good thing?
Certainly doesnt seem like a bad outcome.

championjoe2.png

Gurren-Lagann reference? Dezaki confirmed for bro.
Holy crap. I just got done with episode 9, took a screenshot of that exact frame and came here to post it.

But yeah, this is a really great show. No character so far has been as instantly likable and charismatic as Dezaki's Long John Silver, but as a whole it actually seems like it might turn out more enjoyable than Treasure Island in the long run. I love the story and the far sketchier, rougher artwork.

I can also say that I like it more than Hajime no Ippo, but it wouldn't even be a fair comparison because this has been more of a delinquent anime than a boxing one so far. This show's story moves pretty slowly, but it's all totally justified. I never get the feeling that they were just stretching out a scene as filler.

The only big flaw for me, once again, is the stuff that's likely there to make things cuter and softer for really young viewers. The child characters are mostly just annoying, and while I can see how a bunch of poor kids are thematically relevant, I can't really imagine Japanese kids back in the 70s watching this and eagerly awaiting the next "LOL SHE PEES HER BED XD" moment.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think convenience stores are actually more popular in Japan than they are here. Another glorious American export.

As someone who lives next door to a gas station and consumes its fare regularly, I'm torn on whether this is a good or bad thing.

Anime makes it look like actual supermarket excursions are a family-only thing and that bachelors and latchkey kids mainly subsist on melonpan and cup ramen from these places. I wonder if there's any grain of truth in stuff like Ben-To where even basic nutritionally balanced meals are a deluxe commodity, heh.

Instro

From the New World 9

Oh yeah. Best episode since the first. It's so wonderful to go back to that atmosphere of creeping dread, especially when it's supported by ominous visuals. Not to mention that the sound and music design is truly outstanding and used to its fullest effect.

In a lot of ways this actually feels like the true "next" episode after the first, in the way that it follows up and expands upon the mysteries established in that one. And now the stakes are raised much higher. I'll never forgive you if you screw up this momentum, Yamauchi.

The art and music during Saki and Satoru's journey was really great. The tree faces, the various totems and religious related visuals; very cool stuff. A whole lot of tension throughout. Like I said earlier, I was really happy after watching this ep.

Believe in Yamauchi man, we have to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom