• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

the mecha look far too silly for me to take anything in the show seriously
and this is before the
galaxy throwing
and it really does want you to become emotionally invested in it, its just a bit of a disconnect that I cant get passed, and perhaps you couldnt either.

That's probably it. It didn't help that I didn't like many of the characters. First half, I didn't like anybody. I didn't like Kamina, I didn't like Yoko, I didn't like any of the side dudes. I really didn't like Simon. Second half Simon I just found way more bearable. Still all the silly mechs and villains undercut any real emotion I could feel.

It's probably why I enjoyed the second half more. By that time, I could just sit back and enjoy the pure silliness of
galaxy throwing
. The fact the show just got way more crazy embraced the small bits I like. Still don't like the mecha design, though. I think they just look ugly.

Nafe

From the New World 9

Oh yeah. Best episode since the first. It's so wonderful to go back to that atmosphere of creeping dread, especially when it's supported by ominous visuals. Not to mention that the sound and music design is truly outstanding and used to its fullest effect.

In a lot of ways this actually feels like the true "next" episode after the first, in the way that it follows up and expands upon the mysteries established in that one. And now the stakes are raised much higher. I'll never forgive you if you screw up this momentum, Yamauchi.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. A return to really great visual symbolism and storytelling accentuated by the framing and lighting of each scene aided by the music and sound effects, really made for a powerful atmosphere of a dreadful and foreboding nature. All the plot revelations and setups were really interesting and it all moved at a fairly nice pace.

How about that shot with Mamoru and Maria? Not exactly subtle plus I couldn't help but chuckle and think
Saya was here.

CorvoSol

Holy crap, why is Big O the most beautiful anime of all time? I . . . oh my God, the kitty, and the mother-son reunion, and stupid robot developing emotions.

I know why I didn't watch this show as a kid . . . I wouldn't have appreciated how absolutely perfect it is. It's so . . . so beautiful.

Meh, Lagann-hen isn't that good.
Lagann-hen added some really great extras action-wise and made the choice of ending easier to understand. Some parts of the TV version of episode 27 were perhaps a bit too subtle for their own good, not so much in the movie though.
People will tell you to stop watching here because they say the second half sucks. Don't listen to those fuckers.
The best way to enjoy Gurren Lagann all the way through is to watch it while keeping in mind that it's a show about 'moving forward' and 'past vs present', and that everything revolves around this theme. I noticed this very early on, likely because I had only seen Mind Game and FLCL a year earlier and I ended up watching this new Gainax show with a similar mindset. Gurren seemed more like a stupid thoughtless saturday morning cartoon at first (writing-wise at least), but during the first few of episodes, I figured out what they were really doing.

If you watch Gurren Lagann thinking it's meant to deliver the same sort of experience as, say, GaoGaiGar, then you're probably going to be disappointed as FUCK in the second half.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gurren Laggann 1-14
-Good animation
-fast paced
-interesting character designs
-good mech designs
-awesome action scenes
-kick-ass moments

I guess that this is where I try to get you to watch Getter Robo Armageddon after you're done with this.

yami4ct

Lagann-hen added some really great extras action-wise and made the choice of ending easier to understand. Some parts of the TV version of episode 27 were perhaps a bit too subtle for their own good, not so much in the movie though.

The best way to enjoy Gurren Lagann all the way through is to watch it while keeping in mind that it's a show about 'moving forward' and 'past vs present', and that everything revolves around this theme. I noticed this very early on, likely because I had only seen Mind Game and FLCL a year earlier and I ended up watching this new Gainax show with a similar mindset. Gurren seemed more like a stupid thoughtless saturday morning cartoon at first (writing-wise at least), but during the first few of episodes, I figured out what they were really doing.

If you watch Gurren Lagann thinking it's meant to deliver the same sort of experience as, say, GaoGaiGar, then you're probably going to be disappointed as FUCK in the second half.

Confession Time: I have never watched a Brave series. Never seen GaoGaiGar. I feel this makes me a bad mecha fan. I should probably correct that soon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
After the dumbness of the first movie I refuse to continue letting Imaishi rape my childhood late teenage years.

duckroll

The second Gurren Lagann movie is bad. It is a poor movie, and the only people who like it are those who either have no regards for pacing, editing, and direction, or those who are unable to discern poor editing, pacing, and direction. It added a ton of "cool" action set pieces and bloated the entire film up with nonsense that runs on and on towards the end. Awful.

Parts of it would make for really good music videos, but as a film, it falls completely flat.

Jex

The second Gurren Lagann movie is bad. It is a poor movie, and the only people who like it are those who either have no regards for pacing, editing, and direction, or those who are unable to discern poor editing, pacing, and direction. It added a ton of "cool" action set pieces and bloated the entire film up with nonsense that runs on and on towards the end. Awful.

Parts of it would make for really good music videos, but as a film, it falls completely flat.

My nakama!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Grander and more epic != good drama

Which is ironic considering the actual telly show. The first movie was a complete letdown for me.

yami4ct

ok this part I cant agree with

Ok, let's get this out of the way quick so you can all tear me to pieces. A huge reason I don't like Yoko is I HATE her character design. The way she animates in her action scenes, the way she dresses, and the way she looks in general bug the heck out of me. I should be able to get passed that, but I couldn't. Maybe if the show could have made me care about the characters, I would have liked her.

Jex

To be fair, this is probably true too, but it feels almost unfair to call a 40-year-old song from the UK the best anime ED theme of the season.

It may be cheating, but it's still the best song. However, as the visuals are kind of flat it can't beat the whole ED package that is From the New World.

He's just a little boy!

JYFVRl.jpg

Branduil

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. A return to really great visual symbolism and storytelling accentuated by the framing and lighting of each scene aided by the music and sound effects, really made for a powerful atmosphere of a dreadful and foreboding nature. All the plot revelations and setups were really interesting and it all moved at a fairly nice pace.

How about that shot with Mamoru and Maria? Not exactly subtle plus I couldn't help but chuckle and think
Saya was here.

Mamoru can't catch a break.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Fly Me to the Moon definitely counts. It's a cover by the various actresses in the actual show!
But the covers sucked shit. All of them. Especially the bajillion Rei versions. It's a good thing they stuck them in the last OST so that I only felt ripped off once instead of thrice.

Just finished Haibane Renmei. Really enjoyed it, but I was honestly surprised at the happy ending. I expected the series to either turn dark or go into mind fuck territory like the other shows that I've watched recently (Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magika). Thanks for the recommendation Branduil!

Now, it on to Boogiepop Phantom and then Ghost Hound!

duckroll

But the covers sucked shit. All of them. Especially the bajillion Rei versions. It's a good thing they stuck them in the last OST so that I only felt ripped off once instead of thrice.

I dunno, there's something appealing about hearing Rei tell the audience to fry her to the moon.

How can you have a list of the top 5 EDs from this season and NOT include From the New World's?

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of it either. I really dislike the song, and I skip it every week. The animation is nice, but the music isn't to my taste at all.

Jex

Psycho Pass 7

Man that part where the two dudes are talking about society was pretty rough. It lasted so long too. Actually, I feel like whenever the show goes on about anything at length outside the pressing matters of the current case it falters quite badly. Strange. I do still like the show though, the cases keep my attention, and the music is engaging. It's a shame that the same issues continue to plague the show, and that the production values are so mediocre at this point. I'm not planning to drop it though, I haven't really run into anything so far that has really turned me off from watching it.

Just because you've yet to pin down a single reason to drop a show doesn't mean that you should keep investing time into it!

After the dumbness of the first movie I refuse to continue letting Imaishi rape my childhood late teenage years.
Trust me, Imaishi was not to blame for the first movie being shit. Hiroyuki Yamaga admitted at a convention that the staff wanted to have the first Gurren movie be mostly (or entirely) original animation, but he didn't let them because "he wanted people who aren't familiar with Gurren Lagann to watch and enjoy the movie" (read: he's cheap as fuck). The first movie was, for all intents and purposes, a cash-in.

With movie 2, they legitimately wanted to go out of their way to do a genuienly good job at both the writing and the animation, to make it a worthwhile experience on its own.
Confession Time: I have never watched a Brave series. Never seen GaoGaiGar. I feel this makes me a bad mecha fan. I should probably correct that soon.
GaoGaiGar is an extremely basic, shallow and simple show.

It's also really fucking fun to watch. It's presented in a really grandiose and epic way that you can't help but have a good time with.

Branduil

I dunno, there's something appealing about hearing Rei tell the audience to fry her to the moon.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of it either. I really dislike the song, and I skip it every week. The animation is nice, but the music isn't to my taste at all.

Well, based on these two paragraphs I can only conclude you have no musical taste. Sorry.

yami4ct

But the covers sucked shit. All of them. Especially the bajillion Rei versions. It's a good thing they stuck them in the last OST so that I only felt ripped once instead of thrice.

One of the things that surprised me during my Eva rewatch was how bad some of these fly me to the moon were. Some were awesome, but close to half were almost unlistenable. Cool idea executed poorly.

Still, A Cruel Angel's Thesis is one of my favorite anime OPs of all time and that more than makes up for the lackluster ending.

Dresden

I like Rei in all her blank expressionless glory but Mari can DIAF.

fwiw I thought the first half of the show was a fucking bore. Apparently the second half and the follow-up gets good, but it's a chore getting to that part.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fly Me to the Moon definitely counts. It's a cover by the various actresses in the actual show!

Desperately needed a native English speaker to make it good. It could have been one of the truly great EDs, but as it is it just sounds stilted and emotionless, especially with that peppy bossa nova beat reinforcing the choppiness of the singer's enunciation.

The Evangelion symphony version is better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Trust me, Imaishi was not to blame for the first movie being shit. Hiroyuki Yamaga admitted at a convention that the staff wanted to have the first Gurren movie be mostly (or entirely) original animation, but he didn't let them because "he wanted people who aren't familiar with Gurren Lagann to watch and enjoy the movie" (read: he's cheap as fuck). The first movie was, for all intents and purposes, a cash-in.
My problem with the movie isn't even the fact that it's a recap episode tailored for the big screen. The climax of the movie, aka the new animation and all that crap, is extremely summarised for the sake of runtime and the action in the final battle rushed over because I don't even fucking know. Great sakuga though.

I also like Mari. I honestly have the worst taste in anime girls. I'm aware of it too!
I like Mari because I like 'hot-blooded badass who enjoys kicking ass' personalities, especially when applied to female charactes. I have no interest in defending her because literally my only reason for liking her is "I like this particular character archetype".

Branduil

As long as you acknowledge she's a marketing ploy and not an actual character then that's okay.

And that's why she's the best Rebuild girl.

Desperately needed a native English speaker to make it good. It could have been one of the truly great EDs, but as it is it just sounds stilted and emotionless, especially with that peppy bossa nova beat reinforcing the choppiness of the singer's enunciation.

The Evangelion symphony version is better.

Yeah I hate pretty much all the Eva renditions of the song.

duckroll

As long as you acknowledge she's a marketing ploy and not an actual character then that's okay.

I don't think she's any more of a marketing ploy than the other characters in Eva honestly. I do think that she is a gimmick though, but not in a negative sense. Eva 2.0 stuff:
My interpretation has always been that she is the main catalyst for the cycle change in Rebuild. Her introduction seems to have been engineered by Gendou in some ways, and it is her appearance in Japan which starts to cause huge changes from the original series. If it is indeed a loop, and Rebuild takes place after EoE, then Mari is the foreign element introduced into this cycle to change the outcome. I think it's pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom