• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ultimately, the Rebuild films are just too far apart for me to derive any sort of enjoyment from speculation. I'm just taking them as they are with the eventual plan to evaluate them as a whole in retrospect however many eons from now that ends up being, but kudos to duckroll and whoever else is still able to be actively interested for so long without getting fatigued.

Dresden

I'm gonna knock over some racks when the film ends up sucking because of your ducktrolling.

P.S. Hopefully all this GAINAX talk means we don't have to suffer through another slugfest of SAOshitfest for the second week in a row!

oi stop comparing me to a video game "journalist" you arse

hey parish was sorta cool before the pedo stuff happened

Honneamise is like legit good yo. At least SAO talk is kinda dead outside of the OT that someone thoughtfully threw up.

yami4ct

Ultimately, the Rebuild films are just too far apart for me to derive any sort of enjoyment from speculation. I'm just taking them as they are with the eventual plan to evaluate them as a whole in retrospect however many eons from now that ends up being, but kudos to duckroll and whoever else is still able to be actively interested for so long without getting fatigued.

Personally, each time a Rebuild film happens it gives me an excuse to go on anothe Eva binge. This one will likely last until like a month after I see 3.0. After that, I won't even think about Eva until 4.0 is close to release.

Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 40

frzzg.jpg
7zXvJ.jpg

The other thing special about this episode was the fabulous Cilan playing detective.

I could have also done without the Meloetta concert as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope you have fun witnessing the fall of anime first hand.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If you watch Honneamise and you don't like it, I think you have to look into a mirror and reflect on where it all went wrong in your life. :(
:( It all began when I started watching Japanese cartoons...
hey parish was sorta cool before the pedo stuff happened
he likes japanese games so that's okay with me

point is if i wanted to make a living out of non-journalism I would go to sports media
I've yet to see ducktrolling that actually alters the past so I'm pretty sure Honneamise is safe.
Assuming we are not actually in a time loop. Then Honneamise can suck in the future.#FuckYouAnno
We are all witnessing Fall 2012 of anime right now.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The second Gurren Lagann movie is bad. It is a poor movie, and the only people who like it are those who either have no regards for pacing, editing, and direction, or those who are unable to discern poor editing, pacing, and direction. It added a ton of "cool" action set pieces and bloated the entire film up with nonsense that runs on and on towards the end. Awful.

Parts of it would make for really good music videos, but as a film, it falls completely flat.

Don't disagree with you about the pacing, editing, or direction, but the movie has more robots beating the shit out of each other, and since that's really all I cared about in the second half of TTGL, I'd rather watch the movie.

This is not to say I have no regards for pacing, editing, or direction, just that, in the case of the timeskip arc, more mecha action is worth the loss of coherence, since I didn't find the post timeskip storyline entertaining.

cajunator

Banned
Just finished Haibane Renmei. Really enjoyed it, but I was honestly surprised at the happy ending. I expected the series to either turn dark or go into mind fuck territory like the other shows that I've watched recently (Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magika). Thanks for the recommendation Branduil!

Now, it on to Boogiepop Phantom and then Ghost Hound!

Haibane renmei will probably always be my favorite.
It resonated with me for some reason and I absolutely love the soft art style and the soundtrack. I deeply enjoyed Reki and her back story and how her introduction to the world was so different. Even the ending felt perfect. In my opinion anime has never been better than this.

Grzi

Psycho-Pass - 07

I guess my expectations were lowered by the previous episodes because I wasn't disappointed enough in this episode to want to drop the show yet. It wasn't a bad episode by any means, although it did feature some major flaws. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in the world of Psycho-pass, but the way in which it's presented is not very good. That hurts the show a lot, the exposition, and the way it plays out really could have been done a lot better. I really don't know who's to blame for this, Urobuchi or Shiotani, but I'll go and put the blame on the latter, since we've seen how well The Butch's style can carry over into a show when paired with a good director.
I also hope we'll find out some more stuff about the rest of the cast, but since we've already seen a third of the show and that hasn't happened, yeah, probably not.

duckroll

Don't disagree with you about the pacing, editing, or direction, but the movie has more robots beating the shit out of each other, and since that's really all I cared about in the second half of TTGL, I'd rather watch the movie.

This is not to say I have no regards for pacing, editing, or direction, just that, in the case of the timeskip arc, more mecha action is worth the loss of coherence, since I didn't find the post timeskip storyline entertaining.

Sure, I think that's a totally fair way to approach entertainment. People should watch what they enjoy, even if it might be technically worse than something else. After all, I enjoy the Transformers movies for the same reason. There's nowhere else I can get state of the art super budget ILM robots beating each other up in a live action blockbuster.

Well... until Pacific Rim that is. :)

Theonik

The second Gurren Lagann movie is bad. It is a poor movie, and the only people who like it are those who either have no regards for pacing, editing, and direction, or those who are unable to discern poor editing, pacing, and direction. It added a ton of "cool" action set pieces and bloated the entire film up with nonsense that runs on and on towards the end. Awful.

Parts of it would make for really good music videos, but as a film, it falls completely flat.

The way to watch the Second movie is to simply skip to the sakuga sections and watch it this way. That's the only reason why you are watching it anyway.

Boogiepop Phantom
Only two episodes in, but I'm liking it so far. Still trying to figure out where the "thing" that took Saotome's form, the man who feasted on bad memories, the serial killer, and Boogiepop all fit together.

I'll never get tired of Anno's hand-drawn explosions. Imaishi's are cool too, but they are of a completely different oomph.

This video makes me wonder why GAINAX never bothered revisiting the Daicon franchise for a full-fledged production with less copious amounts of copyright infringement. It would have been incredible.

People will tell you to stop watching here because they say the second half sucks. Don't listen to those fuckers.

Second half does suck ass :/

yami4ct

Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0

I forgot just how much more I liked this movie than 1.0. It's just so much more enjoyable. Not only the new bits are cool, the way handle reused stuff is so much better than 1.0. Reused fights are not only just color pallet swaps of old. There is substantial new choreography involved. I enjoy the little things. Like when Rei
suicide bombs the angel
. In the show, the angel just closes its core with a metal plate. Here it's a rib cage like biological construction. It feels so much more natural. I still enjoy the little mechanical details they've added. The way they do the dummy plug system is awesome. Not only does it feel like a more significant systems upgrade, but it makes the moment so much creepier.

Onto the new stuff. Rei's new "character development" is hilariously forced. Abut I found the way she tried to bring Shinji and Gendou tougether was sort of heartwarming. And that end. Oh man that end is amazing. Not only is it a great cliffhanger, it's just so well constructed. Anno knows how to push my buttons. The way he uses children singing during major dramatic sections, not once but twice, still really gets to me. The moment the music swells
and Shinji pulls Rei from the Angel's core, starting the Third Impact
has to be on my list of favorite Eva moments. It's one of the few Rebuild moments than can really go on that list for me. It legitimately pushed my emotions buttons in a way those movies have not.

Overall, could not be more hyped to see 3.0. The fact 2.0 ended on such a good cliffhanger and 3.0 literally can go anywhere at this point is so exciting. Hype is at record highs right now. Hopefully it won't be too long until I can see 3.0 in some form.

Pooya

From The New World - 9

That was pretty good, looks like it's really back on track... for now.

Anime is saved somewhat after this, that was a close call, pew. rough week, everything I watch was kind of terrible.

wonzo

Banned
Hey animegaf, still need more impressions for the next OP. It's your chance to shine! Someone will finally read what you write without the need for provocative screenshots! I forgot to include a gif in this post so I hope it doesn't go completely ignored!

Just something concise and brief, along the lines of stuff duckroll and kayos have posted thus far. Posts about shows no one is talking about (but I'm sure someone out there has to be trucking through) like Seitokai no Ichizon would be doubly appreciated.

I figured I'd cover some of the less popular series instead of shitting on Magi some more:

Kyousogiga II

A nice collection of shorts acting as a continuation of the original OVA that helps flesh out this incredibly weird and out there take on Kyoto. Well, not really but it's fun as hell to watch thanks to it's incredible animation, great character designs and the charming as hell writing. Definitely worth checking out for those looking for something that'll put a great big smile on their face.

Chiisana Ojisan

30 second shorts about a "Little Old Man' who finds himself chilling out in other peoples pockets and winning the hearts of women over by flaunting his manly back.

Lychee Light Club

An utterly woeful collection of "comedy" shorts loosely related to the incredibly disturbing and profound manga of the same name. This is definitely one for the squat toilet.

Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter

An incredibly silly and energetic children's show involving transforming AI CG cars beating the shit outta each other and dancing. Highly recommended for people looking for something straight-up fun and are already watching the commendable Girls und Panzer.

Kamisama Kiss

Your typically boring mystical bishie of the week but with some incredibly charming reaction faces added to help and spice it up. You'd have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for your shoujo (josei?) fix to watch this given that better shows like My Little Monster and Say "I love You" are airing in the same season.

Bottom Biting Bugs

Mix in some bad flash animation with an incredibly high concept and add just a pinch of unfunny and you end up with these incredibly absurd and unsatisfying 5 minute shorts.

I approve of all this Eva talk!

I've always been under the assumption that Rebuild is an actual sequel, too many clues and similarities. I also agree that Marie is possibly one of many artifacts that is changing this "cycle".

Also, Shinji is less of coward this iteration, him saving Rei in 2.0 was shocking and unexpected. I'd like to think that this iteration will end happily, it has Pirate Asuka after all!

There is a REALLY good doujin that actually used the time loop idea long before Rebuild, tying together the known alternate realities(Girlfriend of Steel, campus apocalypse, etc). I can't remember what it was called now.

Also, yeah. AsukaxShinja OTP.

yami4ct

I've always been under the assumption that Rebuild is an actual sequel, too many clues and similarities. I also agree that Marie is possibly one of many artifacts that is changing this "cycle".

Also, Shinji is less of coward this iteration, him saving Rei in 2.0 was shocking and unexpected. I'd like to think that this iteration will end happily, it has Pirate Asuka after all!

There is a REALLY good doujin that actually used the time loop idea long before Rebuild, tying together the known alternate realities(Girlfriend of Steel, campus apocalypse, etc). I can't remember what it was called now.

Also, yeah. AsukaxShinja OTP.

I was under that impression pre my rewatch of everything Eva, now I'm even more certain. Just one of the things is that Rebuild's world just doesn't "feel" right. Something's off that I can't put my finger on. Also, it's the only way I can make sense of Kawrou's dialogue. Out of that context, he sounds like a crazy person.

yami4ct

You are my moral barometre for good anime.
EVA 2.0 shit

Debatable. He's a more proactive character though.

I agree with this assessment. Shinji doesn't seem less of a coward in this. At least not completely. When things get tough, his first instinct is still to run and hide. Still, he's more proactive and more confident and that is certainly interesting.

Jex

I feel that
such an interpretation is far to, I dunno, obvious. If that actually turns out to be true I'll be disappointed.

Grzi

Yo wonzo, did you check out the amazing scene from episode 14 of Tanken Driland in the Sakuga MAD I posted yesterday?

I mean, it's spoiler-ish, but it's worth a look just to get hyped.

yami4ct

I feel that
such an interpretation is far to, I dunno, obvious. If that actually turns out to be true I'll be disappointed.

On the one hand
you're totally right and it is way too obvious. On the other, I feel like any other explanation would feel kind of way too forced. Too many hints they'd have to some how reel in. Their best option would just be to leave this all as hints and not directly address it in any way. In my opinion at least

Jex

Sure, I think that's a totally fair way to approach entertainment. People should watch what they enjoy, even if it might be technically worse than something else. After all, I enjoy the Transformers movies for the same reason. There's nowhere else I can get state of the art super budget ILM robots beating each other up in a live action blockbuster.
I'd expect this line of thinking from someone who champions the Macross Plus: Movie Edition!

Branduil

Well I can only summarize what I'm caught up on right now.

From the New World

A serious science fiction story with strong source material, which is only hampered by some inconsistent direction. When it's good, it's extremely good, with cinematic art direction, detailed and beautiful background art, thoughtful world-building, creative designs, epic music, and a story oozing with atmosphere and tension. Unfortunately a couple of the episode directors are not capable of handling all of these things in a coherent and visually pleasing way, which hurts several episodes in addition to some budget-cutting. Hopefully the show will continue as it is now and the weaker episodes were just an aberration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom