• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dragonair is the only dragon-type Pokemon I can think of as majestic. All of the others look too rough and intimidating (except for Dragonite, who just looks kinda goofy). Kingdra and Flygon are pretty cool though.
Salamence is HELLA goofy.
salamence.jpg

"MY BELLY IS A CLAM."

Articalys

What a surprise -- the next light novel volume of Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo? that comes out in July will bundle an OAD Blu-ray episode that won't be part of the TV series.

I wonder, is it easier to count the number of recent series that haven't had some sort of bonus OVA/OAD episode?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dragonair is the only dragon-type Pokemon I can think of as majestic. All of the others look too rough and intimidating (except for Dragonite, who just looks kinda goofy). Kingdra and Flygon are pretty cool though.
You don't like Altaria? Actually Altaria doesn't look like a dragon at all.
Dragonite is 4 times weak to ice.
I never said I liked Dragonite though. I'm just pointing out that Gyarados is just as lame.
Fluttershy's and Applejack's moms were equally hot.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bravo on that avatar btw.

BGBW's art demanded to be immortalized.

So I take it you prefer Asian dragons to European dragons? Rayquaza probably could have fit the "majestic" mold too if he hadn't been made to look like some kind of futuristic Truckasaurus Rex like the other RSE legendaries. Ruining solid concepts through overdesign is pretty much the story of Pokemon design after the first couple of installments.

yami4ct

Welp, just got to Berserker. I was starting to like/accept CG. Fuck CG. You've ruined it for everyone Fate/Zero. The worst part, there is no real obvious reason for that character to be CG. Why they'd make that visual sacrifice is mind boggling.

As for the show itself, it might as well be called "Rider being awesome and Gilgamesh insulting people" as those are the two aspects I'm really enjoying.

OceanBlue

What a surprise -- the next light novel volume of Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo? that comes out in July will bundle an OAD Blu-ray episode that won't be part of the TV series.

I wonder, is it easier to count the number of recent series that haven't had some sort of bonus OVA/OAD episode?

I'm kinda excited for this show. I know it's Diomedia, the staff isn't that great, the premise is pretty otaku-bait, and other stuff, but superpower harems are my weakness.

Actually, otaku-bait shows are probably my weakness.

"Supercool" edit.

There was a lot more potential for a better pun, but I killed it. :(

You don't like Altaria? Actually Altaria doesn't look like a dragon at all.

I forgot about Altaria. I always think it's a flying/normal type.

So I take it you prefer Asian dragons to European dragons? Rayquaza probably could have fit the "majestic" mold too if he hadn't been made to look like some kind of futuristic Truckasaurus Rex like the other RSE legendaries. Ruining solid concepts through overdesign is pretty much the story of Pokemon design after the first couple of installments.

It's not that I really prefer Asian dragons (okay, I do). I just like Dragonair's simplistic design.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Welp, just got to Berserker. I was starting to like/accept CG. Fuck CG. You've ruined it for everyone Fate/Zero. The worst part, there is no real obvious reason for that character to be CG. Why they'd make that visual sacrifice is mind boggling.

As for the show itself, it might as well be called "Rider being awesome and Gilgamesh insulting people" as those are the two aspects I'm really enjoying.

Really waiting for duckroll to comment on this. Especially with the breakdown of CG in KnK.

sonicmj1

There is a reason for Berserker to be CG. It really didn't bother me that much, though.

That said, Rider will only get more awesome, and Gilgamesh will insult people in more creative and pointed ways.

Soma

While it's not "obvious", there is a reason for the CG.

But I'm still in the camp that CG Berserker owns so whatevs.

Narag

Based on the LN, it'd be a bitch to animate by hand and do it justice, especially for a TV anime, so I assume that's why they went CG. As for the second half of the post, those are highlights throughtout.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Based on the LN, it'd be a bitch to animate by hand and do it justice, especially for a TV anime, so I assume that's why they went CG. As for the second half of the post, those are highlights throughtout.
That sounds to me like a "HD Towns are too hard to program" type of excuse!

yami4ct

Ok, so there's no obvious reason. Probably just because I haven't seen enough to tell. Still it's visually super jarring.

I was coming around on CG guys, I was. What little that's used in BoT looks decent enough. Of course, the high budget CG of the Eva films is magnificent. Heck, the CG in Gundam Unicorn makes that show really a fun watch. Still, this show may just turn me against it all over again.

sonicmj1

Ok, so there's no obvious reason. Probably just because I haven't seen enough to tell. Still it's visually super jarring.

I was coming around on CG guys, I was. What little that's used in BoT looks decent enough. Of course, the high budget CG of the Eva films is magnificent. Heck, the CG in Gundam Unicorn makes that show really a fun watch. Still, this show may just turn me against it all over again.

Even if the CG in Fate/Zero bothers you, that shouldn't turn you against all CG in anime. That's like being against voice acting in video games after playing Star Ocean 4 or something.

yami4ct

Even if the CG in Fate/Zero bothers you, that shouldn't turn you against all CG in anime. That's like being against voice acting in video games after playing Star Ocean 4 or something.

I'm exaggerating, of course. It's certainly tipped the scale from "I'm ok with this" back to "I'd generally prefer they avoid it, at least in TV anime"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

After SO4 I know I've heard it all. lol. Also, I found the CG in F/Z pretty good. Except for the cars. Very out of place imo.

From the New World 9

Damn, this was a fantastic episode, and, aside from, perhaps, the fourth, it was definitely the best, as it developed the larger narrative far more extensively than the majority of the previous episodes. There was a compelling tension that permeated throughout the entire episode, illustrating a tonal restraint that was understandably lacking in the previous episode. A symbolically profound visual sort of storytelling occurred throughout much of the episode, which terrifically complemented the foreboding atmosphere. The pacing was greatly deliberate, gradually developing and consequently unraveling a cascading sequence of intriguing events, while never faltering into an uninteresting monotony.

The narrative is quite intricately woven, broadening and elaborating on a plethora of seemingly insignificant, but deftly foreshadowed and eventually meaningful developments. As such, the secretive machinations of their strictly regulated society are gradually illuminated through a highly effective precision, since, though occasionally expected, these moments of detailed elaboration corrode the veneer of a peaceful existence, slowly exposing the terribly fractured structure of their world, essentially illustrating an immensely powerful and emotionally evocative decay of perception. As such, one of the best, most intriguing sequences was
Maria's
thoroughly revealing recollections, as
she, along with Mamoru
, momentarily glimpsed a select few of the
Ethics Committee
, consequently overhearing that they're intending to
force one of the tainted cats into confronting Shun before he fully becomes a Karma Demon

Shun's transition into a Karma Demon
was, I feel, excellently foreshadowed throughout the show or, at the very least,
his
characterization was suffused with an abundance of vague, but intriguing allusions to a mysterious, darkened edge of
his character
and the potential development that involves
his personality deteriorating into a more calculating and cruel version of his present self
. These filtered nuances draw a noticeable, but partially contrasting parallel to
Maria's
slowly developing characterization. It seems quite likely that if
Shun does, in fact, die
, such an emotionally devastating development would slightly alter
Saki's
character, which would be an intriguing evolution to explore. A
Holy Barrier
suddenly appeared around
Pinewind
, preventing the
escape of whatever monstrous entity
it harbors within and imposing an accepted restriction from
Saki and Satoru entering
; this is the first sign that directly alludes to the possibility and increased likelihood that
Shun is becoming a Karma Demon
, essentially recalling a parallel between his current situation and the ritualistic tale he once recited that comprehensively depicted the
descent into a Karma Demon

My favorite sequence was the
dinner scene between Saki and her parents
, as it contained a thorough amount of meaningful character and story development, illuminated by an unsettling tranquility. The tedious, comparatively mundane conversation between
Saki's parents
greatly emphasized the dichotomy between their complacent uniformity and the temporarily dormant
rebellious turmoil
that had re-awoken within
Saki's mind ever since Shun disappeared
. These trite matters culminated with
Saki's break of silence and subsequent outburst
. The immediate transition from Saki's calm contemplation to
their shocked expressions upon hearing the utterance of Shun's name
was highly effective. The unexpected reveal and subsequent realization of
Saki's lost, forgotten sister
was handled incredibly well, as a heightened, but unwanted, knowledge is illustrated by the brightness of
her earlier memory
and the subdued, detached colors that cloud her surroundings as she fully becomes aware of this unforeseen truth.

Saki was fantastic throughout this entire episode, displaying an insightful and sympathetic breadth of complex emotions, since her motivations are very deftly illustrated, as her
love for Shun
is compelling her to act in a marginally more
rebellious
fashion than she normally would. Saki's highly interesting, layered characterization heavily contributes to her increasingly heightened and gradually developed role as a truly fascinating character, since the nature of her complicated characterization has never been fully divulged, but due to recent developments and her
emotional attachment to Shun
, it has been explored far more than in episodes past. Saki lacks a certain naivety that all others, save for Shun, have willingly constructed within
the smallest cracks of their perpetually obedient, generally respectful facades
, since the others seem to be distinctly aware of the
disquieting dread that infects their secluded, potentially diseased society
, but they, along with most others, attempts to dismiss it. Aside from Shun perhaps, she has definitely appeared to be the most perceptive, particularly in how
rightfully distrustful
she has become of others, as displayed by her inability to blindly adhere to the
monk's every words
in the fourth episode and her refusal to
believe the explanations, or lack thereof, that were given by her parents and, in effect, the Ethics Committee

Maria and Mamoru, though temporarily inconsequential, seem very likely, particularly Maria, to considerably influence approaching events. As such, though not particularly subtle, I really liked the shot that incorporated a visual contrast between the
foreshadowed eventualities of Maria and Mamoru's existence
, as they sit next to one another on a bench; the sunlight reaches
Mamoru's
face, while
Maria
remains shrouded in darkness, perhaps foretelling of the potentially
catastrophic events
that will be ignited by
Maria's
involvement, as mentioned towards the end of the
second episode

The music was exceptionally well-implemented throughout the entire episode, accompanying each scene with a particular emotional weight. The altered orchestral chant is brilliant, particularly in it's usage throughout the opening to this episode, as it thoroughly established the unsettling atmosphere that would pervade through the rest of the episode. The selection used during the
dinner scene
evoked a wistful melancholy that really accentuated the myriad of
deeply painful emotions
that had surfaced during this moment. The sound direction was extremely impressive, particularly notable throughout the final scene, in which the
silence of Saki's threatening excursion into the heart of the forest is pierced with the cries of numerous beastly terrors

The confident, visually creative direction complemented the methodical, disturbing nature of this episode wonderfully, displaying an especially effective restraint in the construction of many integral moments, such as the final scene, in which
another wild animal is revealed
, as well as a necessary proficiency towards the framing of momentous moments, such as
Maria's revelatory conversation with Saki
. There was an abundance of cuts to black that were filtered into the episode, but, unlike the latter half of the seventh episode, they were used really well throughout, rarely distracting from any particular moment, but rather heightening the effect of several shocking developments.

A very nicely directed scene was that which involved
Maria's silhouette appearing at Saki's window immediately following the remembrance of her sister
. The transition was eerily effective. One of the final shots, in which
Saki's shadow, ablaze beneath the light of her torch, looms against the withered tress
, was beautifully constructed. Another impressive directorial touch was the moment
Saki remembered her first meeting with Shun, and the oddly-shaped tree that was supplanted behind his family, as the partial destruction of this tree and the house that once possessed it indicates that his village was decimated
. I felt that the isolation of her sharp inhale worked quite well.

Unfortunately, Yamauchi is returning for the next episode, which hopefully won't be similarly plagued with an absence of narrative cohesion, as his uniquely expressionistic approach to storytelling definitely hasn't proved suitable for the duration of an entire episode. Considering the seeming importance of the next episode and the potentially important developments within, I remain quite wary at the prospect of his second attempt towards carefully handling an entire episode. However, despite the questionable nature of his directorial style, I'm really looking forward to the surrealistic visuals that typically accompany his direction, since episode 5 was rather atmospheric and strikingly beautiful.

All in all, though the last two episodes were quite good, From the New World excels with this one, effectively reestablishing the brilliantly ominous atmosphere and the immensely compelling elements of the story. The masterful, meticulous construction of the narrative continues to be the most essential strength of the show, which is a testament to how very well-written and impressively directed the story, for the most part, has been. There have certainly been several instances in which the narrative execution has considerably diminished, but these moments of disappointing inconsistency and a slight tonal dissonance have been remarkably rare. The excellent
cliffhanger
was a terrific note to conclude the episode on. The preview, though potentially misdirection, appears to suggest that
Shun's death is quite imminent, which would be unfortunate, but I've loved his development so far
, so it will be interesting to see what occurs, and whether or not
Saki will be able to save him

yami4ct

Wait. What?

Pre-watching Fate/Zero, I was becoming OK with CG in anime. I used to really hate it. Now I'm back to not completely hating it, but I'd prefer they not use it if at all possible. Especially in TV anime, as the CG in those tends to look particularly bad.

Soma

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 08

Yeah I think Hyouka has forever ruined school festivals for me. Fun episode though.

Natsume still best girl.

Psycho-Pass 6-7

LNfj3.gif

Also this student chick reminds me of something from a CLAMP series.

Not bad so far but still not quite the show that was hyped up to be. I see no reason to drop it yet though.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 7-8

Yep still MANLY. And some pretty nice looking stills in some scenes.

I probably shouldn't have watched that next episode preview :(

Teekyuu 6-8

I love this show. Latest episode was kinda weak but the punchline at the end almost made up for it.

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne 7-8

Hah, nice.

- Kaichou-san is so lewd.
- Arisa is so pure.
- Poor Ginbei
- Nasuhara is getting pretty :SDBurton these days

Think I'm just about caught up with shows save for Shinsekai Yori. Might start up Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo this week to see what that's all about.

Dresden

tonari - 07

Their relationship's been stuck on this odd null state since episode two and it doesn't show any signs of letting up. The end of this episode as a reversal of what happened earlier in the show is the sole hint of progress on any front. Only thing that has changed is the alignment and I can see how they're setting it up for the end, and yet, it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I guess the tl;dr;ob version is that Kana Hanazawa killed Christmas again. What an assassin.

tonari - 07

Their relationship's been stuck on this odd null state since episode two and it doesn't show any signs of letting up. The end of this episode as a reversal of what happened earlier in the show is the sole hint of progress on any front. Only thing that has changed is the alignment and I can see how they're setting it up for the end, and yet, it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I guess the tl;dr;ob version is that Kana Hanazawa killed Christmas again. What an assassin.

Yeah the relationship is really weird. For some reason it feels like each episode is complete disconnect from the previous's 'progression'.

split timelines yo!

yami4ct

From the New World 08

Can't believe that I let myself get a week behind. Well that was certainly.........unexpected. I mean, I like the idea that their society uses
sex as a coping mechanism
, but I hope the show doesn't become solely about that one aspect. It would waste a lot of potential. I found it fascinating that their society seems to have
no concept of psychological disorders or depression
or at least I took that from Saki's conversation with Shun. I also found that the animators
main way of showing that the kids aged was making their hair longer. Is long hair just in now? haha
. The show is getting back to what I liked at the beginning and that's great. It looks fantastic again as well. Such a great color palette. Sure, there are still some editing and directoral issues, but they are much less apparent than a couple episodes ago.

I guess I'll end it with, does anyone actually believe Shun's assumption that
they've delayed the kid's punishment? I mean, his current predicament is all from his current actions.
? I don't see any evidence to prove his claim.

Dresden

Yeah the relationship is really weird. For some reason it feels like each episode is complete disconnect from the previous's 'progression'.

split timelines yo!

everything makes perfect sense now.

But really, I wish they'd JFA.

bXad4.gif

It's like gif. They keep loading and loading but no one is pulling the trigger.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My Little Precure: Smile is Magic 18
This episode was ungodly amounts of Yellow Squid Girl being shounen as fuck.
WHAT THE FUCK KINDA ENDING WAS THAT YOU CAN'T JUST BUILD UP ALL THAT GAR ONLY TO TAKE IT AWAY AT THE LAST MOMENT

Nao-chan! ;____; NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Further proof that Toei is creatively bankrupt. Pinkie Pie-chan is just Tsubomi with her her tied up like Princess Leia.

Also: the uniform designs in Heartcatch may have been impractical, but they were at least twenty percent cooler than those in Smile.

Dresden

tonari - 08

Now that I'm fully caught up, I dunno, the show is still good. The pace set in the beginning is definitely misleading, though; I'd expected them to be having quickies at the batting cage by now. As frustrating as that can feel, still, the progress is there, made slowly but surely with the passing of each episode.

The characters aren't great or anything, but their appealing designs + cute quirk or two (although in some cases it falls flat - does anyone care about Nagoya? Couldn't Haru get anything beyond that and his violent naivety?) is enough.

tldr version would be that Natsume is the best and Shizuku smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom