• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 40:

4aWAX.jpg

LEGENDARY

THE GREATEST

No spoilz from me, just watch this ASAP if you're following the show. Where's the visine, there's clearly something in my eye...

Narag

pllbu.gif

After searching for a good deal I tried to purchase it from Fry's for $~17 but their online system wouldn't let me check out. I intended to wait for the last TRSI T-1 countdown sale page to go up before ordering but forgot and ordered it from a seller on amazon for $10. It ended up sale for $6 during that TRSI sale and I raged and raged.

IRC tried to console me but I told them I wouldn't be able to get a price adjustment due to it being an amazon seller. Today, a box arrived in the mail. Inside was The Skull Man. The sender? TRSI. In my haste at making the purchase, I never once looked at the seller's name on the amazon marketplace. It was TRSI all along. Truly a harrowing tale.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They only do barebones halfassed super cheap releases that are an embarrassment to the industry. They dont even dub half the time. They just sub a terrible quality source and throw it into the most bargain bin looking disc case they can find. Whether the particular anime in question deserves a release like that or not, I cannot recall any series in the past getting released so pathetically.
Eh, they try to get special features at least. Hell, Infinite Stratos even came with a random CD full of singles for some reason.

That's more than can be said for Funimation, where it wasn't even clear if the OVAs for FMA:B would ever get released.

I'd trade every crappy dub for more special features found on the JP discs.

From Up On Poppy Hill

Kids on the Slope is better.
Nope.

yami4ct

There's nothing wrong with episode one of Fate Zero :(
It was a lot of exposition sure, but there was a lot of ground that had to be covered.
Its a very long episode and it had to set up the history, the situation, the Holy Grail War, and the participants, as well as how each master got their servant. I think it did as good a job as could be done. How else could they have done it?

It's incredibly boring, slow paced and expository. Having just watched it, it's a terrible intro. It also looks pretty bad with the exception a few key scenes. It looks worse than the other episodes in the series by a significant margin.

Viz releses tons of Manga on iPad, im also sure that their sublime line of Manga is on kindle, don't know for other stuff.

I like the us releases of Manga, we get artbooks occasionally (my tsubasa one, one piece colorwalks), omnibus releases of stuff with color pages (loveless, evangelion) and some hardcover Manga, that gundam origin one is coming hardcover.

Did not know that. May have to grab that in preparation for the inevitable disappointment that will be the anime adaptation.

BluWacky

Have you seen both? If so, why do you prefer Poppy Hill to Kids on the Slope?

I don't think they're very similar stories, personally, but I think Kids on the Slope is better and don't know many other people who've seen both, so I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Naruto and One Piece are all that sells. Even than, the Naruto generation has grown up. They've either grown up, or have become fed up with being behind Japan constantly. Viz's Shonen Jump Alpha initiative is not good or aggressive enough. They aren't in deep shit yet, but the trend is certainly not promising.
In the us? I was sure bleach sells more than one piece here, Naruto still a top seller, and sailor moon topping charts, I think you are making it worst than it is, especially with companies still licensing Manga niche and popular...they just do smaller runs or use digital outlets. Sja is getting aggressive with simultaneous release with Japan next year, more new series, and at least being weekly and digital unlike kodansha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have you seen both? If so, why do you prefer Poppy Hill to Kids on the Slope?

I don't think they're very similar stories, personally, but I think Kids on the Slope is better and don't know many other people who've seen both, so I'm curious as to your reasoning.
Yes, I posted about it... I can't remember when. It must have been around Hyouka, because I remember commenting on how Hyouka used the same song as Poppy Hill.
But yeah, they're only comparable inasmuch as they take place in the same time period.

As an adaptation though, Kids on the Slope is a massive failure. Time jumps ahoy creating inconsistent characterization to the point where the shitty side story romance with the
girl running away with college boy
ended up being the better romance of the two triangles.

Heck, even though Poppy Hill relies on the
fake incest angst
in order to create drama, at least as a piece of storytelling, it works much better than Kids on the Slope.

Sket Dance Manga to Bundle New Anime DVD

The 29th volume of Kenta Shinohara's Sket Dance manga will bundle an anime DVD when it ships next February. The DVD will contain new anime that adapts "that particular" story episode from the manga that was not animated for the earlier television series. The official website for the anime will provide more information on the anime in production.

I wonder if it is the
chapters where they switch bodies and have to deal with the bathroom stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
It's incredibly boring, slow paced and expository. Having just watched it, it's a terrible intro. It also looks pretty bad with the exception a few key scenes. It looks worse than the other episodes in the series by a significant margin.

I'm curious, what would you define as a good intro?

yami4ct

Fate/Zero 06

This episode had no Rider and only like 5 minutes of Gilgamesh. It was starting at a severe disadvantage. Despite that, I'm starting to enjoy this show a bit more. It still has major narrative issues that bug the heck out of me. Sure the back stabbing and strategy elements are interesting, but it's hard to care when the characters really aren't there. No one has a personality aside from "you don't know what I actually want". The show goes to extreme lengths to obfuscate character motives and that really hurts the narrative. I think it's part of why I like Rider and Gilgamesh so much. Their motives are clear and it allows their characters to be more interesting.

I also have a distinct feeling I'd like this show a ton better if it wasn't following Saber. She's the most inane, boring Servant the show has to offer. It's like someone's only idea of a strong female character was Lightning from FFXIII. She's just so boring.

Also, what's this the CG
building explosion
didn't look like utter garbage? What a surprise Fate/Zero, You can do OK CG when you put your mind to it.

I'm curious, what would you define as a good intro?

I like intros that throw you right into the meat of the story. Tiger and Bunny had a great first episode. It threw you into the action and let you learn about the characters organically. Zeta Gundam did it in a similar way. Fate/Zero was pure exposition, with a bunch of unexplained technobabble, and a series of time jumps that made it confusing as hell to keep up with.

Narag

Fate/Zero 06

This episode had no Rider and only like 5 minutes of Gilgamesh. It was starting at a severe disadvantage. Despite that, I'm starting to enjoy this show a bit more. It still has major narrative issues that bug the heck out of me. Sure the back stabbing and strategy elements are interesting, but it's hard to care when the characters really aren't there. No one has a personality aside from "you don't know what I actually want". The show goes to extreme lengths to obfuscate character motives and that really hurts the narrative. I think it's part of why I like Rider and Gilgamesh so much. Their motives are clear and it allows their characters to be more interesting.

I also have a distinct feeling I'd like this show a ton better if it wasn't following Saber. She's the most inane, boring Servant the show has to offer. It's like someone's only idea of a strong female character was Lightning from FFXIII. She's just so boring.

Also, what's this the CG
building explosion
didn't look like utter garbage? What a surprise Fate/Zero, You can do OK CG when you put your mind to it.

There's a reason for that too. Rider and Gilgamesh definitely steal scenes and kept me onboard until the point other cast members came into their own. Starting off with such a large ensemble results in folk not being developed properly at first. Initially I kept confusing Kirei and Kiritsugu and never realized whose story the show actually was until episode 18 or so.

jman2050

Fate/Zero 06

Also, what's this the CG
building explosion

You hate Saber. This is pleasing to me.

Otherwise, the show does suffer from usual Nasu-inspired nonsense drivel that's sort of hamfistedly integrated into the narrative but I can definitely say the show just gets stronger as it moves along.

cajunator

Banned
I just picked up Fox Deity bundle for $40.

I hope Right Stuf delivers for the next 2 weeks.

Excellent choice. Fox Deity is a great little series.

Eh, they try to get special features at least. Hell, Infinite Stratos even came with a random CD full of singles for some reason.

That's more than can be said for Funimation, where it wasn't even clear if the OVAs for FMA:B would ever get released.

I'd trade every crappy dub for more special features found on the JP discs.

Nope.

True, the IS bluray was better packaged than usual and it makes me wonder what went right about that particular license to where they couldnt replicate that with other ones.

Fate/Zero 06

Also, what's this the CG
building explosion

As the #1 Saber fan even I can admit that she was woefully boring in Fate Zero.
She's still lovely looking though.
Also half the fun of Fate Zero is watching Rider/Waver and Gilgamesh taking turns being a BOSS.

Branduil

Fate/Zero 06

Also, what's this the CG
building explosion

I like intros that throw you right into the meat of the story. Tiger and Bunny had a great first episode. It threw you into the action and let you learn about the characters organically. Zeta Gundam did it in a similar way. Fate/Zero was pure exposition, with a bunch of unexplained technobabble, and a series of time jumps that made it confusing as hell to keep up with.

It gets better. You'll like what happens with Saber later on.

Ufotable is really good at CG particle effects such as explosions, clouds, etc. It's their CG vehicle and character animation that looks really bad.

yami4ct

You hate Saber. This is pleasing to me.

Otherwise, the show does suffer from usual Nasu-inspired nonsense drivel that's sort of hamfistedly integrated into the narrative but I can definitely say the show just gets stronger as it moves along.

Every other Servant has something interesting that makes their character. Rider and Gilgamesh are just awesome, Caster is insane, Berserker is a mystery, Assassin's powers and motives are different and interesting, and Lancer has charm. Saber's only characteristic is she's a woman. It's just so bland.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://i.imgur.com/pllbu.gif

After searching for a good deal I tried to purchase it from Fry's for $~17 but their online system wouldn't let me check out. I intended to wait for the last TRSI T-1 countdown sale page to go up before ordering but forgot and ordered it from a seller on amazon for $10. It ended up sale for $6 during that TRSI sale and I raged and raged.

IRC tried to console me but I told them I wouldn't be able to get a price adjustment due to it being an amazon seller. Today, a box arrived in the mail. Inside was The Skull Man. The sender? TRSI. In my haste at making the purchase, I never once looked at the seller's name on the amazon marketplace. It was TRSI all along. Truly a harrowing tale.

Your tale is tragic, but I've got to say, that piece of cover art is damned beautiful. Anyone have any idea as to the artist so I can look up more of their stuff?

Jarmel

Banned

I have never ever heard someone state that the Fate/Zero intro was complicated, they went way out of their way to explain everything. I guess we have a fundamental viewpoint on this as episodes that just throw you into the middle of some action is an absolutely horrible way to start a series as it really doesn't give you context on the characters.

It gets better. You'll like what happens with Saber later on.

Ufotable is really good at CG particle effects such as explosions, clouds, etc. It's their CG vehicle and character animation that looks really bad.

To be fair, I have yet to see any studio do CG vehicles or character animation properly.

jman2050

Every other Servant has something interesting that makes their character. Rider and Gilgamesh are just awesome, Caster is insane, Berserker is a mystery, Assassin's powers and motives are different and interesting, and Lancer has charm. Saber's only characteristic is she's a woman. It's just so bland.

It is so damn hilarious that you point this out given what happens in works that are not Fate/Zero.

yami4ct

I have never ever heard someone state that the Fate/Zero intro was complicated, they went way out of their way to explain everything. I guess we have a fundamental viewpoint on this as episodes that just throw you into the middle of some action is an absolutely horrible way to start a series as it really doesn't give you context on the characters.

To be fair, I have yet to see any studio do CG vehicles or character animation properly.

If you do it correctly, it's a great way to start a series. You can organically develop the context from there. You don't need to know everything right away. And Fate/Zero's into is super complicated. It jumps around between character to character, time skips with no real explanation as to why, and throws out an insane amount of jargon. Keeping everything straight was a chore.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True, the IS bluray was better packaged than usual and it makes me wonder what went right about that particular license to where they couldnt replicate that with other ones.
IS was apparently their most popular streaming title that year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put in the extra effort.

It could be that the rights were cheap too... who knows.

Either way, it's one of the few shows with JP cast commentaries that are fully subbed!

cajunator

Banned
IS was apparently their most popular streaming title that year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put in the extra effort.

It could be that the rights were cheap too... who knows.

Either way, it's one of the few shows with JP cast commentaries that are fully subbed!

I appreciated the IS packaging a lot.
Thats how it should be done, bare minimum.

Also, Fractale of all things has a really sturdy beautiful artbox, so it clearly cannot be just based on streaming numbers.

Narag

Your tale is tragic, but I've got to say, that piece of cover art is damned beautiful. Anyone have any idea as to the artist so I can look up more of their stuff?

I actually avoided picking it up that art initially. it made sense in context of the show as it's one of the later JP dvd covers iirc. It was extremed up for the NA market because anger and blood sells, yo.

iZ3Y14l1qhWDM.jpg

duckroll

I want to share two things with everyone here:

1) 009 Re:Cyborg is apparently showing here this weekend. I might go see it, if the tickets don't sell out by the time I get there. There's no booking yet.

2) Apparently there's a full English official site which has this gem: http://009.re-cyb.org/re-animation/

Ever since the first 4 minute and 30 second promotional video for 009 RE:CYBORG was released, there have been a number of questions from those who saw it.
  • Isn't everything completely hand-drawn?
  • If it is 3DCGI animation, why does it look hand-drawn?
  • Why is the 3DCGI so different to international 3DCGI? The movement seems much more Japanese-styled?
Let us take a closer look at the 'Re-Animation' that Kenji Kamiyama and SANZIGEN will be using in 009 RE:CYBORG.

The rest of the article there is actually fairly interesting in terms of technical details, but the introduction I quoted there was really hilarious. I don't think those questions were the ones being asked by people who saw the first promotional video. Instead, I recall the main question was "Why the fuck is it so ugly?", lol.

qcf x2

Saber's only characteristic is she's a woman. It's just so bland.

Not really. I mean, maybe at that point, but there's more to her character. Certainly more than Assassin. She's hardly the typical anime portrayal of a woman in this series, at least.

yami4ct

Not really. I mean, maybe at that point, but there's more to her character. Certainly more than Assassin. She's hardly the typical anime portrayal of a woman in this series, at least.

I can only speak to her as she is right now, and as she is right now is super boring. I just personally find her blander than even Assassin, who has at least some intrigue.

Saber is still a pretty boring character, though. Okay, she's probably more interesting than Assassin, but she's still not all that interesting.

But it's fine, because Fate/Zero has Kirei, who is one of the greatest anime characters of all time.

cajunator

Banned
Saber's issue in Fate Zero was that
she was hamstrung by her arm injury because of Lancer's attack so she couldn't do anything interesting to begin with
It was almost as though she was purposefully written to be as useless as possible.

7Th

Saber was doomed by the fact that all of her terrible character development happens in FS/N so her F/Z character was completely flat and wasn't allowed to change or develop.

Besides, she was terrible from inception. Nero is better.

cajunator

Banned
Sounds like the same problem Madoka (Madoka Magica) and Akane (Psycho-Pass) have. Urobuchi is truly the king of writing bad female leads!

He seems to make the supporting characters more interesting than the mains. but a lot of anime writers seem to have this issue. Observe SAO for example >_>

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Saber was doomed by the fact that all of her terrible character development happens in FS/N so her F/Z character was completely flat and wasn't allowed to change or develop.

This is the ultimate truth. Maybe they could've given her a way out by
doing interesting stuff with her and then wiping her memory or something,
but that would be just as shitty, or possibly shittier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom