• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genshiken 09

7DBzl.jpg

This was like the episode of Haruhi where nothing happened and nothing happened.

cajunator

Banned
This is how ADV treated Princess TuTu.
You can see her crying. Poor thing. Fucking criminal.

This is how Geneon treated a mediocre Kannazuki no Miko show.
Observe the artbox, beautiful artwork, double sides covers, insert artwork, pencil boards, and I hid the OTHER side of the inserts and pencil boards because 1. It is NSFW and 2. I dont want SDBurtons blood to explode through his nose. But Sdburton if you want I can PM you whats on the other side ;)
http://imgur.com/a/b434Y

Jex

[From the New World] - 8

Good episode.

[From the New World] - 9

Great episode.

[From the New World] - 10

Oh, god, why?

Tonari no Kabiutsu-kun 9

This episode was the most enjoyable since the fourth, but, unfortunately, it was disappointingly inconsistent and flawed as well, faltering into a repetition of predictable, unnecessary contrivances in the latter half of the episode. There's this rather noticeable dichotomy between the numerous elements of the show that work extremely well and those that don't, as the latter have been increasingly filtered into each subsequent episode, consistently failing to impress, illustrating a middling execution of the narrative.

The opening was great and, though largely comedic, quite insightful, as the conversation between
Haru and Shizuku's father
illuminated an interesting complexity within
Shizuku's family
, only ever touched upon for a momentary instance in the subtle exploration of Shizuku's diligent, but partially naive aspirations to strictly follow the same path as
her mother
, which was mentioned once again in this episode, still appearing to be a singularly narrow-minded, but sympathetic, approach to dealing with life's unexpected complications.

Haru and Shizuku's interactions are extremely enjoyable, as the gradual development of their relationship illuminates their considerable chemistry and how significantly worse each episode is that doesn't heavily focus on this particular aspect of the story. As such, their relationship consistently provides the best moments in each episode, so it's quite unfortunate that it hasn't been as prevalent in the past several episodes, instead relying on a partial focus of dynamics that are far less compelling.

However, the slow, methodical development of their relationship is usually understandable, but it's become a bit tiresome as of late, due entirely to the knowledge that
triangles
are inevitably set to interfere even further with their hopes for a wholly romantic relationship to form. At this point, I'm even wondering if their relationship can, in fact, have a greatly satisfying conclusion, since there are a plethora of potential interruptions that can sabotage the growth that seems to solely be stalled in an increasingly tedious manner. Though Shizuku's
stubbornly distracted by schoolwork
, it seems rather unrealistic that she wouldn't even remember to consider the
full meaning of her love for Haru
throughout an entire month, so this is yet another isolated moment that feels artificial in it's construction.

Natsume really is a fantastic character, as she, along with Haru, have, so far, elevated the show above purely unenjoyable mediocrity whenever a particular episode, such as this one, and the last few, for that matter, waste considerable time focusing on poor secondary characters and uninteresting narrative developments, such as
the imminent love triangles
. As such, I liked the slight elaboration on
her difficult past
, since more development of her character is terrific, but it was accompanied with a moment that reinforced the possibility that she
has feelings for Mitsuyoshi
, which, though
he's a really likable character
, is somewhat disappointing, since a relationship with
Sasayan
seems thoroughly foreshadowed and quite inevitable, but it's unlikely to be properly concluded by the end of the show, so it feels like a relatively unnecessary addition to her characterization and potential development, except, of course, for the possibility that it compels
Sasayan
to act on
his seemingly evident feelings for her

Yamaken is a thoroughly unlikable character, devoid of an interesting personality or intriguing characterization. He'd likely be much better if his character development wasn't isolated into the one-dimensional role of a
"love rival"
. His highly contrived interactions with Shizuku aren't engaging at all, since he's far too closely similar to Shizuku, without any of the good aspects that preside within her characterization. As such, I couldn't care less about the development of
his superficial feelings for Shizuku
, so concluding the episode with an element of this situation only serves to illuminate numerous concerns about the future episodes.

The production values remain one of the strongest aspects of the show, as the beautifully colorful aesthetic complements the nature of the show really well, particularly during the scene in which Haru and Shizuku converse as they
walk through the city
. Musically, this episode was excellent, especially highlighted by the selection used throughout
Natsume's reminiscence to her troubled past
. The quality of the narrative has noticeably diminished throughout the last last few episodes, as it has increasingly slipped into the highly predictable conventionality of a typically cliche shoujo, and, save for the excellent characters, it has too often lacked the brilliantly unique atmosphere and immense versatility that permeated the first few episodes. This, in large part, is due to the unfortunate introduction of two dull, completely ancillary characters and the terrible, worthless
triangles
that accompany them.

All in all, Tonari is quite good, but it's consistently failing to reach the considerably high level of brilliance it once possessed, instead resolving itself to transitioning into an underwhelming near-mediocrity. I'm not particularly confident that the direction the narrative is taking will improve, since the insufferable, monotonous
triangles
appear likely to receive a heightened focus throughout the following episodes. Hopefully I'm mistaken and all of this predictability is mere misdirection, but it's inevitability certainly seems to be irrevocably foreshadowed. I simply desire a satisfying conclusion, so, hopefully, this mess of trite complications and an increased level of interference will be resolved by then, since, so far, these developments only detract from each episode. Fortunately, the next episode will be centered around
Christmas
, so I'd like to think that
Yamaken and Chizuru
won't be involved.

cajunator

Banned
Translation: it costs us more upfront to produce BD's and they don't sell well enough to cover manufacturer unless we know the show is going to be a big hit.

Thats sure as fuck not true because I have FRACTALE BLURAYS.
They didnt cheap on it either. the artwork and artbox is high quality and sturdy, the disc covers have double sided art and there are tons of disc extras.
for FRACTALE.

Jex

Tell us what the future brings.

Yamauchi. He's going to cut between close ups of stuff really fast so you wont have any idea whats going on, what the geography of the scene is like. or who is interacting with who. The normal character designs will be pushed to one side and the colour scheme will be pretty wacky.

cajunator

Banned
Extremely recent manga spoilers:
the nose hair event in this episode actually comes back around in a very big way.

That episode was so unrealistic. Who in the hell is that socially inept that they cant approach a girl and tell her she has a noticeable nosehair?

Jex

I want to share two things with everyone here:

The rest of the article there is actually fairly interesting in terms of technical details, but the introduction I quoted there was really hilarious. I don't think those questions were the ones being asked by people who saw the first promotional video. Instead, I recall the main question was "Why the fuck is it so ugly?", lol.

Paperman it aint.

Branduil

Yamauchi. He's going to cut between close ups of stuff really fast so you wont have any idea whats going on, what the geography of the scene is like. or who is interacting with who. The normal character designs will be pushed to one side and the colour scheme will be pretty wacky.

It can't be as bad as episode 5, can it?

duckroll

Screenshots can't show us editing and pacing, which was the biggest problem with episode 5.

Oh but it can certainly show us editing. The last 3 screens are from a single animation cut! In fact, I think those are the only 3 frames in that 0.5 second cut.

Cantseeshit.jpg

Yamauchi has learned nothing!

:(

Oniai 1
w5qkt.png

At least they know why I'm watching this show.
Being a brocon is suffering.
Ok, I get why the dude doesn't want to have a sexual relation with his sister. That makes sense. But when there's a bunch of girls that, as far as I know, aren't related to him want to sex him up, he still refuses. Stupid typical harem lead.
The other girls kinda just kinda appeared half way through the episode, I assume they're going to explain how they came to live with them right? So far so good anyways.
T5u7N.png

Talking cleavage.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That was a typo, it was supposed to say "the show." Anyway it was obvious in context what show I was talking about.
No it wasn't. It can also be read as everytime shows in general start to pick up momentum, which is how I read it, as if you were trying to troll everything he's directed without knowing what you're talking about. You should be more careful before you hit submit post.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That episode was so unrealistic. Who in the hell is that socially inept that they cant approach a girl and tell her she has a noticeable nosehair?

I don't think it's a matter of whether or not you're socially inept. It's a matter of whether or not you care enough to tell them :p

Branduil

No it wasn't. It can also be read as everytime shows in general start to pick up momentum, which is how I read it, as if you were trying to troll everything he's directed without knowing what you're talking about. You should be more careful before you hit submit post.

If you'd actually watched episode 5, you'd understand why people would have such a low opinion of him if they haven't experienced his other work. He should be more careful before producing such substandard work.

cajunator

Banned
I don't think it's a matter of whether or not you're socially inept. It's a matter of whether or not you care enough to tell them :p

If that was the case, the character would have been indifferent but instead he just stared awkwardly going over ridiculous scenarios in his head.

My Little Monster 9
tumblr_me4677YkN81rdiylyo1_500.gif

Sasayan and Haru interacting was my favorite part, just so funny and silent exchange and understanding I laughed. They needed more time together over the duration of this anime as it winds down.

Highschool girls are just plain awful
what is wrong with having guy friends, and then saying all that stuff, anyone would wanna be Sasayan's friend

Alright episode I guess, ending scene was my second favorite with the cliffhanger of sorts
can never have enough Yamaken around and the wrench he throws into the scheme here

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chooney 05:

fucking hell I had my times tables memorized when I was eight years old and Rikka is, what, fifteen? Though I was a math whiz so this kind of thing always baffles me, I guess.

I've given up raging at everyone enabling Rikka's stupidity. It's clear that this is just very well-made pander and I'll consume it as such from this point out.
lots of good stuff on Danbooru was fairly influential in nudging me from rage toward apathy

Chooney 06:

So I was going to comment on how strange it was that the second half of the episode was being devoted to the overactive imagination of a minor character, but then I came to the realization that
it was actually happening
. The cut between
the notebook being lost on the pavement and Nibutani's inquisition
felt rushed and unnatural since there was nothing in between to bridge the two events and so for a few minutes I was under the impression that
the scene was merely an extension of Minor Character-kun running scenarios in his head to prepare for meeting his crush

What a strange thing to devote a large portion of an episode to regardless.

Chooney 07:

oh god the worst thing that they could possibly do is try to justify the characters' behavior with DEEP PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAUMA. Please don't let this infect the rest of the show, stupid just becomes even more stupid when mixed with serious.

Chooney 08:

Looks like
Rikka wants to fuck Yuuta almost as much as the dog wants to fuck Shinka

Kind of feels like Rikka is regressing mentally even further; outside of the UNSEEN HORIZON shit she pretty much communicates in short sentences and auuuuuuus now. This arc really needs to end.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How did we end up with that great season?
No, how did we end up with a kind of alright show that constantly trips over itself if it's so hard to screw up Chihayafuru? The last half of the series offered dip after dip when it came to quality, and the show is anything but consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom