• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I actually avoided picking it up that art initially. it made sense in context of the show as it's one of the later JP dvd covers iirc. It was extremed up for the NA market because anger and blood sells, yo.

http://i.minus.com/iZ3Y14l1qhWDM.jpg

hahah, oh wow. If I ever actually get around to watching the show the actual context of the picture will probably make that even more amusing. I mean, his body language looks pretty regretful there so bloodying up the scene even more to make it XTREME just sounds terrible.

Looks nice either way.

Jarmel

Banned
Saber's issue in Fate Zero was that
she was hamstrung by her arm injury because of Lancer's attack so she couldn't do anything interesting to begin with
It was almost as though she was purposefully written to be as useless as possible.

One of the big points of the show/novel is that it was designed to shit on Saber. Urobuchi is quoted somewhere stating that he wrote the novel so that Gilgamesh and Alexander can bully Saber. It's designed to shit on her physically and mentally.

cajunator

Banned
Homura was Madoka's protagonist, really. Madoka was the heroine.

Madoka Magica was written kind of unconventionally.
Madoka was very important to the story, but in a way she really wasn't the main character.
Its a weird kind of story. I think thats partly why I liked it so much.

I can only speak to her as she is right now, and as she is right now is super boring. I just personally find her blander than even Assassin, who has at least some intrigue.
Saber is pretty awful and dull and really ruins the show, terrible that she is the face of the franchise, getting all the figures treatment and etc, one would think she'd help develop her master but unfortunately fails to even do that.

Jarmel

Banned
Madoka Magica was written kind of unconventionally.
Madoka was very important to the story, but in a way she really wasn't the main character.
Its a weird kind of story. I think thats partly why I liked it so much.

Having the main character be useless until some key moment isn't really that unusual.

Sanzigen has done some good work in those areas, although not consistently.

You're going to have to cite some examples because I can't think of any off the top of my head. The only case I can think of is Kids on the Slope with the music sessions but that's not Sanzigen.

yami4ct

One little bit of animation style that Fate/Zero uses that bugs me is seeing part of the outline of a character's eyes through their long hair. I get why they do it, and it's common for a reason, but it's still a pet peeve of mine.

Sounds like the same problem Madoka (Madoka Magica) and Akane (Psycho-Pass) have. Urobuchi is truly the king of writing bad female leads!

But Madoka was a good character. I mean, she wasn't as awesome as Kyoko or Homura, but she was still an engaging lead character who was likable and had a pretty strong character arc. It's not fair to lump her in with Saber or Akane.

Saber was doomed by the fact that all of her terrible character development happens in FS/N so her F/Z character was completely flat and wasn't allowed to change or develop.

Besides, she was terrible from inception. Nero is better.

This is also true.

Of course, that's not an excuse for the fact that she was a terrible, boring character in Fate/Stay Night as well.

Branduil

That SkullMan cover reminds me of elfen Lied's treatment. It was bloodied up more for the Us release. Particularly the picture where Lucy's arm is all bloody but in the original artwork it was clean.

slightly NSFW covers so linked instead

Japan version
http://s19.beta.photobucket.com/user/Innotech/media/big-elfen-lied-ost.jpg.html

US version
http://s19.beta.photobucket.com/user/Innotech/media/104516-elfen-lied-elfen-lied-cover-art.jpg.html

TBF the US cover is a more accurate representation of the exploitive and low-class content in the show than a modified Klimt painting.

cajunator

Banned
TBF the US cover is a more accurate representation of the exploitive and low-class content in the show than a modified Klimt painting.

True, but it was still changed from the original for no real reason.
Its not like the rest of the dvd cases werent filled with pictures of naked girls drenched in blood already. All that looks like is Lucy fingered someone on their period...
Actually...that might attract certain audiences after all.

Lil Monster latest

Nothing really happened, but the dialogue exchanges are all pretty well done.

Poor pops. Shizuku needs to have her hair down more.

haird.jpg

And natsume, had all the cutes this week :3

/XX/

Apparently there's a full English official site which has this gem: http://009.re-cyb.org/re-animation/
Apparently there's a full English official site
Apparently
:-(

It is a cool effort all around (like the mentioned 'Mid Report' video, http://009.re-cyb.org/report-files/000023/), their focus on promotion aimed to English-speaking audiences was a real highlight for this film marketing. It even surprised me! Production I.G are getting good at this...

Tsuritama 11:
Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. This was just such a well executed episode on every level, from the script to the directing to the music. Just about every scene felt like a standout, and there were plenty of surprises.
The move from Yuki getting a bite to the lure breaking was an amazing scene, and it had me on the edge of my seat, and then my heart dropped at the end. I also really loved the scene with Natsuki and his dad. The look on his dad's face was enough to get tears in my eyes.

Of course, like every episode, there was also the requisite amount of Akira being a boss.
The confrontation with Duck, him forsaking his place in the organization, and then taking down the operatives
was a sight to behold. His development as a character has been one of my favorite parts of this series.

cajunator

Banned
Tsuritama 11:
Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. This was just such a well executed episode on every level, from the script to the directing to the music. Just about every scene felt like a standout, and there were plenty of surprises.
The move from Yuki getting a bite to the lure breaking was an amazing scene, and it had me on the edge of my seat, and then my heart dropped at the end. I also really loved the scene with Natsuki and his dad. The look on his dad's face was enough to get tears in my eyes.

Of course, like every episode, there was also the requisite amount of Akira being a boss.
The confrontation with Duck, him forsaking his place in the organization, and then taking down the operatives
was a sight to behold. His development as a character has been one of my favorite parts of this series.

Coming soon to a DVD near you!
mlWQm.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Sentai changes the title of stuff after theyve announced its license via PR?

Honestly, they have been pretty good with translations.
Ikoku Meiro no croisee was named Croisee in a frozen labyrinth, Nyan Koi was kept the same, Kaminomi was called The world god Only Knows, Detroit Metal City was left alone....they have been pretty good. Funimation has changed a few things, like Asobi ni Iku yo was renamed to "Cat Planet Cuties" which I like actually.
The absolute cheapest I have seen has been Bandai. Talk about bargain bin cheap looking shit releases.

/XX/

I'm very sorry. I haven't been paying attention to the movie much. Mostly because it seems so disappointing coming from Kamiyama. :(
Nah, I understand that... but at least try to enjoy (even, lets just say... as in my behalf or something) the good opportunity you have of seeing it earlier than many!

>:-(

Jex

Oh, yeah, regarding Magi, I think that I am going to have to drop the show at this point. It's clear to me that this is a production that's going to have a smattering of good episodes over it's run but, for the most part, it's just going to be 'okay'. I can't really handle watching a show like that because everytime a good episode comes around I'll think to myself "maybe this is when it's all going to pick up". However, from the way things have progressed thus far it's clear the show has some pretty serious production problems that's going to limit the work as a whole and it's never going to "get better" in the way that I would like.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh, yeah, regarding Magi, I think that I am going to have to drop the show at this point. It's clear to me that this is a production that's going to have a smattering of good episodes over it's run but, for the most part, it's just going to be 'okay'. I can't really handle watching a show like that because everytime a good episode comes around I'll think to myself "maybe this is when it's all going to pick up". However, from the way things have progressed thus far it's clear the show has some pretty serious production problems that's going to limit the work as a whole and it's never going to "get better" in the way that I would like.
It's what I did with Tsuritama!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Sorry Jex. It seems like SAO got all of Magi's budget.

duckroll

Nah, I understand that... but at least try to enjoy (even, lets just say... as in my behalf or something) the good opportunity you have of seeing it earlier than many!

>:-(

I'm not completely sure if I'll see it yet. I might watch Life of Pi instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom