• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I'm only for prohibiting School Days recommendations if it means an uptick in Arjuna recommendations. It used to be the must-watch show for people interested in the deeper mysteries of AnimeGAF but it's been months since anyone's subjected themselves to it.

I seriously gotta get my hands on Arjuna. For some reason I drag my feet and keep neglecting to buy it on ebay or amazon when it comes around.

I don't know about the show, but I have the manga on my bookshelf and I can assure you that's not the case.

I cant comment on the manga, only the anime.
Their nudity was just there. They were naked. nothing was made about it or discussed. no sexual jokes until Nyuu was actually clothed later on and even then it wasnt any worse than your typical heremshit. It never was disturbing or bothersome unless merely a young girl being naked is totally bothersome to you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hmmm, do I smell another challenge? I have a break coming up.........may have to give that a shot.

I wouldn't call it a challenge because there's no reward for completing it, only regret and disgust.

Hitokage is a hard man to track down these days but I really need to finish compiling the official LIST of "transcendent anime experiences" with him and create that thread we've been planning for months.

Morris

Disco Devil
Ace wo Nerae! - Movie

THAT'S NOT COOL. WHAT THE FUCK COACHIE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

uSbO1.png

NOT COOL ;_;

Other than that, this was brilliant. Superbly animated, especially for a movie from 79, coupled with a fantastic cheesy disco soundtrack (that I can't find anywhere). Best of all was Otowa not being the typical shoujo huge bitch.

While I was watching it I thought this lacked the crazy melodrama from the TV series, but the movie redeemed itself with that ending. Fucking hell.

cajunator

Banned
I wouldn't call it a challenge because there's no reward for completing it, only regret and disgust.

Hitokage is a hard man to track down these days but I really need to finish compiling the official LIST of "transcendent anime experiences" with him and create that thread we've been planning for months.

Well my friend had one of those.
I have bugged him to watch Madoka Magica for over a year, and he kept putting it off until finally he sat down and we marathoned the blurays.
He went from indifferent to "this is quite possibly the best anime I have ever seen" and promptly made a youtube review of it and everything. You could see him go from casual interest to being more and more riveted to finally being moved to tears and emotional towards the end of it. I was pretty amazed how much that show changed his mind.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have bugged him to watch Madoka Magica for over a year, and he kept putting it off until finally he sat down and we marathoned the blurays.
He went from indifferent to "this is quite possibly the best anime I have ever seen" and promptly made a youtube review of it and everything. You could see him go from casual interest to being more and more riveted to finally being moved to tears and emotional towards the end of it. I was pretty amazed how much that show changed his mind.

Actually, "transcendent anime" is just our code for THE LIST. y'know, stuff like Garzey/Yami/Laws of Eternity/School Days/etc.

Uchip

Banned

I have a few friends that don't really like anime who loved madoka
its one of those shows thats devoid of the things that make anime horrid for your average guy (fanservice, awful synth music, plot holes, inconclusive endings, pointless filler)

Metrotab

Banned
Kimikiss - 24 (Final Episode)

Incredibly tense episode. I was sure MC was gonna screw it up.

Not gonna go in depth, but definitely the best romantic show I've seen so far. 8/10

Recommended to everyone who wants a non-formulaic romance anime.

yami4ct

Ahhh. Yes.
Yami is fucking incredible.
Garzey is the best 5 bucks you'll ever spend.
Is Code Geass on this list?

That's a tough one. It's infuriating to watch, it has terrible characters, it makes you scream at the TV constantly. The problem I don't think it sinks to the level of enjoyable bad. It's just bad with enjoyable mech action.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ace wo Nerae! - Movie

THAT'S NOT COOL. WHAT THE FUCK COACHIE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://i.imgur.com/uSbO1.png

NOT COOL ;_;

Other than that, this was brilliant. Superbly animated, especially for a movie from 79, coupled with a fantastic cheesy disco soundtrack (that I can't find anywhere). Best of all was Otowa not being the typical shoujo huge bitch.

While I was watching it I thought this lacked the crazy melodrama from the TV series, but the movie redeemed itself with that ending. Fucking hell.
Funny enough, the Jdrama special sort of picks up where the movie leaves off. Well, sort of. lol

It's not bad, just insane.

Yeah. By which I mean, what Ace o Nerae! movie? I know of no such film.
Really? It was subbed ages ago. Basically a catch up of the first two seasons... sort of.

cajunator

Banned
That's a tough one. It's infuriating to watch, it has terrible characters, it makes you scream at the TV constantly. The problem I don't think it sinks to the level of enjoyable bad. It's just bad with enjoyable mech action.

Ah yes but Code Geass enjoys reverence in this community. It is pretty much worshipped.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Glass Fleet.

Of course. The tentative list is 30-ish shows long. I don't know if Hito is still invested enough in GAF to still want to go through with the thread (which would have divided the shows into categories like "infamously bad dubs", "ideological tracts", etc. and all with summaries written by animegaffers) but I'd still like to eventually make it a reality. At some point I'll seek input from everyone else here.

Really? It was subbed ages ago. Basically a catch up of the first two seasons... sort of.

You might want to reconsider the intent of my statement!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
To settle the debate: Geass is easily list material. The amount of one-upping, fabulous melodrama, shameless implementation of bad anime tropes in a self-serious narrative, and "PLOT TWIST EACH EPISODE AT ANY COST" are unparalleled by any other anime. It's the quintessential trainwreck.

Narag

To settle the debate: Geass is easily list material. The amount of one-upping, fabulous melodrama, and "PLOT TWIST EACH EPISODE AT ANY COST" are unparalleled by any other anime. It's the quintessential trainwreck.

It's a shown hewn from the rawest of cliffhanger.

cajunator

Banned
I suppose its pretty good, but for sheer WHAT THE HOLY FUCK DID I JUST WATCH AND WHY AM I NAKED AND CONFUSED IN A TREE you must watch Yami to Boshi.

yami4ct

I suppose its pretty good, but for sheer WHAT THE HOLY FUCK DID I JUST WATCH AND WHY AM I NAKED AND CONFUSED IN A TREE you must watch Yami to Boshi.

This has to be my next list watch show. I've been recommended it far too many times. With my username, I feel duty bound to undertake it.

Dead

well not really...yet
To settle the debate: Geass is easily list material. The amount of one-upping, fabulous melodrama, shameless implementation of bad anime tropes in a self-serious narrative, and "PLOT TWIST EACH EPISODE AT ANY COST" are unparalleled by any other anime. It's the quintessential trainwreck.
The probability of someone unironically enjoying Geass is far too high for it to be worthy of the "I hate myself and want to die" GAF list

Including it would probably be better rage fodder for everyone but the person watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom