• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only bad thing I remember was that reused footage in the OP for the first episode of S2.
Personally, it feels like a noticeable step down at certain points. I'm sure it would be less obvious if GAF hadn't pointed it out beforehand, though.
Now, now. I'm sure our friendly neighborhood K.O. Hobo wouldn't shoot a fly.
I've only got two shells in this shotgun. One for Anthy, and one for me.

Jinrui 11&12

Yes, I finally got around to finishing this....

I thought the ending was really touching in a number of ways, and even though I consider the first 2-episode arc to be the highlight of the series, this was still an excellent way to end the series
until the second season

the sky's the limit when it comes to dreams, right? :(

I bought all the 7 LNs when the anime ended and there's more material, but I think they might need one more LN to get enough material to do a season 2.

The specials are material from the second novel, in the 5th there's a story about games.

Jinrui Special 02

Mini-watashi nooo~

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 04

Is it next week yet? I'm loving the pacing in this show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[Tonari] - 4

Oh, I get it, it's like a visual wassaname. Oh ho. Wink wink, nudge nudge etc.
This is the kind of insightful analysis that keeps me coming back to this thread.

Articalys

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 2

Okay, yeah, this definitely has some potential. And it's 2cour too, so it should have room to breathe and adapt the material well. Hoping for the best.

Kagami

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 2

Okay, yeah, this definitely has some potential. And it's 2cour too, so it should have room to breathe and adapt the material well. Hoping for the best.

The novels were announced to be ending soon, so the TV series might even have an actual ending!

Grzi

From The New World - 3 & 4

surUI.jpg
gTNSl.jpg

Show of the season. Really loved how everything was handled and the explanations were given in such a convincing matter almost making the viewer feel as if he was a part of the scene himself. Great stuff. Possibly one of the best infodumps ever, the way Saki's reactions were intertwined with the flashbacks made it feel really dynamic.
Loved the Jun Arai scene at the start of episode 3 and the amazing animation at the end of episode 4 (no idea who animated that), show looks really beautiful.

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 28/29

I liked the flashback episode. It was a break from the present for a breather and established a bit of the Nanba brothers' enthusiasm about space. It also revealed what's on that CD.
Episode 29 of course was preparing for the launch. This show shows the spectacle of it pretty well while also giving a glimpse to the persona side of it and how various family members react to such a life changing event. Man this show just has so much heart. I smile through the whole thing. Its so enjoyable. Production values are still all over the place.

Articalys

Presenting the fantastic week one sales debut for last season's other noitaminA show:

**,302 *1 Natsuyuki Rendezvous [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/19

The full list as it stands now, with only SAO and Kokoro Connect left:
Summer 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

22,254 *4 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II [BD]: 2012/09/21
10,460 *6 Tari Tari [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
10,325 *2 Dog Days' [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*8,461 *2 Yuru Yuri♪♪ [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*7,274 *2 Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/28
*5,700 *2 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*5,476 *4 Oda Nobuna no Yabou [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*5,347 *2 Hakuouki Reimeiroku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*4,221 *1 Joshiraku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*4,187 *1 Campione! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*3,762 *2 Arcana Familia [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*3,337 *1 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*2,810 *1 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*2,409 *1 Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,945 *1 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,900 *1 Moyashimon Returns [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*1,888 *1 Rinne no Lagrange season 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/21
*1,370 *1 Binbougami ga! [BD]: 2012/09/21 *DVD-BOX available 2013-01-29
*1,338 *1 Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Utakoi. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
**,302 *1 Natsuyuki Rendezvous [DVD+BD]: 2012/10/19

Articalys

Weekly Sales Rankings for Oct. 15-21:

Blu-ray
*1, 6,018 6,018 Yuru Yuri ♪♪ vol.2
*2, 4,260 4,260 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita vol.2
*3, 4,162 4,162 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A vol.5
*4, 1,730 1,730 Arata naru Sekai Blu-ray Box Limited Edition
*5, 1,587 1,587 Sakamichi no Apollon vol.4
*6, 1,008 1,008 Mazinger Movies 1973 - 1976
*7, *,696 4,070 Five Star Stories Blu-ray Box
*8, *,356 *,356 Zetman vol.5
*9, *,302 *,302 Natsuyuki Rendezvous vol.1
10, *,300 1,852 Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Finale vol.2 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 1,853 *,**1,853 Futari wa Precure Splash Star DVD Box vol.2 Limited Edition
*2, 1,143 *,**1,143 Yuru Yuri ♪♪ vol.2
*3, *,849 *,***,849 Cardfight!! Vanguard vol.15
*4, *,757 *,***,757 Cardfight!! Vanguard vol.16
*5, *,723 *,***,723 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita vol.2
*6, *,623 1,163,331Tonari no Totoro
*7, *,524 *,***,524 Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit-hen vol.3
*8, *,459 *,***,459 Sakamichi no Apollon vol.4
*9, *,450 *,***,450 Peeping Life The Perfect Explosion
10, *,373 *,***,373 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A vol.5
11, *,296 *,490,245 Majo no Takkyuubin
12, *,253 *,*58,690 Kokurikozaka kara Standard Edition

cajunator

Banned
Weekly Sales Rankings for Oct. 15-21:

Blu-ray
*1, 6,018 6,018 Yuru Yuri ♪♪ vol.2
*2, 4,260 4,260 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita vol.2
*3, 4,162 4,162 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A vol.5
*4, 1,730 1,730 Arata naru Sekai Blu-ray Box Limited Edition
*5, 1,587 1,587 Sakamichi no Apollon vol.4
*6, 1,008 1,008 Mazinger Movies 1973 - 1976
*7, *,696 4,070 Five Star Stories Blu-ray Box
*8, *,356 *,356 Zetman vol.5
*9, *,302 *,302 Natsuyuki Rendezvous vol.1
10, *,300 1,852 Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Finale vol.2 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 1,853 *,**1,853 Futari wa Precure Splash Star DVD Box vol.2 Limited Edition
*2, 1,143 *,**1,143 Yuru Yuri ♪♪ vol.2
*3, *,849 *,***,849 Cardfight!! Vanguard vol.15
*4, *,757 *,***,757 Cardfight!! Vanguard vol.16
*5, *,723 *,***,723 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita vol.2
*6, *,623 1,163,331Tonari no Totoro
*7, *,524 *,***,524 Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit-hen vol.3
*8, *,459 *,***,459 Sakamichi no Apollon vol.4
*9, *,450 *,***,450 Peeping Life The Perfect Explosion
10, *,373 *,***,373 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A vol.5
11, *,296 *,490,245 Majo no Takkyuubin
12, *,253 *,*58,690 Kokurikozaka kara Standard Edition

Yuru Yuri and Jinrui are successful? Good :D

Articalys

And the music sales for last week, for those interested.

Single CD
*4, *,*22,148 *,*22,148 Transformers Prime "Discord"
*9, *,*12,998 *,*51,904 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari "Luminous"
11, *,**9,328 *,**9,328 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun "Q&A Recital"
16, *,**4,516 *,**4,516 Code:Breaker "Shiroi Karasu"
23, *,**2,935 *,**2,935 Busou Shinki "Taiyo no Sign"
24, *,**2,890 *,**2,890 Busou Shinki "Install x Dream"
25, *,**2,873 *,**2,873 Hiiro no Kakera 2nd Season "Takanaru"
36, *,**1,949 *,**1,949 Jormungand: Perfect Order "Under/Shaft"
46, *,**1,487 *,**8,456 Btooom! "No pain, No game"

Grzi

Seeing Five Star Stories on that list made me realize that we'll soon find out if Gothicmade exists!
We might even get some impressions! OMG

Grzi

Is it worth watching that Five Star Stories Movie?

I'd say yes, it will get you really hyped for the manga. It only covers a small portion of it (but does a good job with it) so it will leave you with a lot of open questions when it ends, but it's worth it.
The movie looks gorgeous, the animation is top notch and Mamoru Nagano's designs are perfect as always. A lot of people from AnimeGAF have actually watched the movie recently and if I recall correctly most of them enjoyed it. I know Jexhius and Narag really liked it, not sure who else saw it.

duckroll

Girls und Panzer - Episode 3

More fun in the weird and silly world of girls and panzers! I totally dig the approach this show has given the totally surreal nature of the worldview. It's being done in a matter-of-fact way, where everything is normal to the characters, but they still behave like normal human beings. So naturally, the first thing they think of given total freedom is to pretty up their tanks and turn the interiors into nice comfortable girly rooms! Shopping for pillows is fun! ^_^

As they reveal more and more of the world, it just gets stranger and stranger as well.
So now we know that it's not just a single school on a huge carrier, but every single school in the world is carrier colony, traveling from port to port. I don't know who makes up this shit, but I'm digging it!
Pretty sure I'm going to keep watching this show to the end. It's cute and charming, and I'm having a ton of fun watching it. :D

----

My Little Monster - Episode 4

So yeah, this show is totally the successor to Tsuritama this season. I made a joke about it the other day when I was thinking about how similar the show is to Tsuritama in terms of visuals, backgrounds, and even the characters traits and dynamics. I wondered if there would be a fishing episode. Well, I guess there is! Both shows have watercolor-like backgrounds, have bright colors, socially awkward characters, a lead called Haru who does very strange things and wants people to like him, a large sized pet, and now fishing. Amazing.

The episode itself was pretty good too. Lots of things happened as usual, and the show moves at a brisk pace. At first,
I really thought that Haru making friend with everyone was just something he was dreaming about, so it was really surprising when it became a major development in the story itself.
I think this is one of the few romantic comedy shows where I actually feel like rooting for the characters, because they're so likable and I want them to succeed and be happy. Sogood.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuruYuri 1

and she has the power to stop time. Stopping time is the absolute worst power a protagonist can have, by the way. It's basically an automatic win button that can be used to solve literally any situation.
Is one allowed to avatar quote themselves?

Is Emma worth getting?
I kind of like British stuff and it looks like a rather subdued and elegant show to watch.
I can guarantee you that isn't a British show.

But if you want to experience anime + Britishness, watch this very British dub of Lum the Invader.

Caution: Very British.

The life of a fourteen year old is pretty tough.
Woah. I thought he was in his thirties or something.

Reading Duckroll's My Little Monster impressions actually reminded me of a show I totally missed but wasn't sure about.

What's the consensus on Tsuritama? Is it worth a watch?

sonicmj1

First of all, goddamn, months of nagging have finally paid off. I'm glad you riked it, and also, I told you so!

Yeah the end of Adolescence Apocalypse (I'm glad everyone has taken to calling it this! My efforts have not gone amiss!) is like probably still one of the oddest endings I've ever seen in anything that wasn't just straight-up experimental art. What I'm saying is, it is some fucking weird Japanese shit of the highest order without actively fomenting narrative breakdown.

I like Touga's role in the movie because he actually does pretty much play the role of stereotypical prince to a T, unlike corresponding attempts in the TV show (teevee Touga, or more abviously Akio) which are far more flawed by nature. He simply hasn't had time to be anything but, being a phantom, and he sort of exists more as an active force in Utena's mind(? I guess Anthy sees dead people too, though) more than a person, providing her that alternate temptation & a bridge to have to cross.

Correspondingly, Anthy gets to fight her own demons in the form of Akio (who, by the way, is strangely hi-larious in this movie, I hope you'll agree) which draws a parellel & puts her on a par with Utena, even giving her the chance to play the heroic part rather than merely the princess & the witch as the show had dictated. More than just "oh shit real lesbians nao" or "everyone's suddenly a cardboard stereotype," I think it is this difference that most fundamentally changes the central dynamic of the show. It's part of why I can't really think of it, and especially DAT ENDING, as merely an adaptation of the tv show.

I'm just rambling at this point, so I'll just ask the most important question: how did you like Nanami's appearance? Wasn't she just grand? :3

Nanami's appearance, eh? Well, that was... a thing. At least they didn't forget about her completely.

It's odd, but I was watching it with a friend, and we jokingly called some of the more out-there turns in the movie just before they appeared.
I recognized Nanami by her cowbell while she was in silhouette. As the car wash spun and spun during "Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku," I wondered aloud whether Utena would appear as a car once the washing was done. And while the castle panned against the highway, my friend thought it would be a giant car seconds before the wheels showed themselves.
Never underestimate Ikuhara.

There are a lot of things that change the dynamic of the movie, and Anthy's more active role is definitely one of them. Even if her role as Rose Bride is similar, she always appears to have an actual personality, and it's something rather playful and flirtatious. That shift does a lot for the development of her relationship with Utena (compare the dynamic in the portrait-painting scene with the symbolically-analogous tea-and-cookies scene from the TV series), and I agree that it makes her more active in the end, which is good.

But I think the biggest thematic change is the way the show treats the symbolic roles of Prince and Princess. The TV series deeply explores all sides of the dynamic of that relationship, both its gentle nobility and its underlying possessiveness and/or self-denial. Perhaps it's just due to length, but while the movie shows the basic elements of princeliness, it seems to discard their worth more quickly and more violently. There's an almost Nietzscheian drive to destroy all existing symbols and preconceptions, and replace them with the things we build ourselves. In the world that the Prince of Adolescence Apocalypse represents, there is no middle ground between being completely liberated and being a "living corpse". In fact, the Utena and Anthy in the world of the movie's academy are, as the ending montage shows, literal strawmen. They can't be themselves unless they escape together.

So while the way they ultimately connect and overcome is similar in both shows (rejecting preexisting roles to find strength in fully accepting each other), I think the movie's message feels much more existential, especially in the way that it almost completely marginalizes the themes of "eternity" that are so present in the series.

Either way, I really enjoyed it. Honestly, when the credits started rolling, I burst into tears of laughter when I thought about everything I had just seen, but it's still resonant enough that I can take all the relationships and characters seriously regardless.

What's the consensus on Tsuritama? Is it worth a watch?

o1UNa.gif

fertygo

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou 03
Yup, this is very good.. The story have weight and charm, despite all the LN's hijink, trope, and fanservice.

I'm more curious with Misaki x Jin story than the main couple though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom