• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Sakarasou no Pet -3

This is a really shitty version of Toradora. It's not even good on its own.

The MC needs to shut the fuck up and stop yelling.

fertygo

Revolutionary Girl Utena 33

What.
Bisonyes.gif
Sakarasou no Pet -3

Man you need to stop watch many show if can't drop something, this one is 2 cour you know.

Btw I don't think its anything lika Toradora, don't know from where the comparison come.
Because he has night shift.

Ow...
*Suddenly got image cajun as Bartender*

Jarmel

Banned
Man you need to stop watch many show if can't drop something, this one is 2 cour you know.

Btw I don't think its anything lika Toradora, don't know from where the comparison come.

I'm probably going to give it a couple of more episodes and if it doesn't get better, I'll drop it. I haven't found it good from the get-go so two more is my limit.

Kagami

Sakarasou no Pet -3

Haha, Matsuoka's rising voice intonation he does for the tuskkomi lines is the only really interesting thing the protagonist has going for him at this point.
This show has potential, but Sorata's definitely going to have to develop some for it to live up to it.

OceanBlue

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanajo ep 3
I swear J.C.Staff and Okada is trying to set this show up as the next Toradora or something.

Actually, I don't think Okada was in charge of this episode. Kamoshida Hajime (the writer for the novels) was in charge of the script for this episode, Kanbe Mamoru was in charge of storyboarding, and Takashima Daisuke was the episode director.

Edit: I agree that any similarities to Toradora are due to Okada. Other than that, I agree with fertygo. I don't really see it except at a very superficial level (JC Staff, a group of people with personal conflicts, two guys and three girls).

Jarmel

Banned
Edit: I agree that any similarities to Toradora are due to Okada. Other than that, I agree with fertygo. I don't really see it except at a very superficial level (JC Staff, a group of people with personal conflicts, two guys and three girls).

The main character is taking care of a girl who can't take of herself (Taiga). Misaki's personality is similar to Minori. There's the whole love drama bit, in the form of Misaki and Jin's relationship. This is of course assuming nothing happens between Sorata's female friend and Sorata that starts another love triangle issue. Not to mention both MCs feeling out of place in society and trying to fit in. The character designs themselves are pretty close in style to Toradora.

Took me a while to realise there were soldiers where and it wasn't just a funny looking ground texture.
sSlKi.gif

mAcOdIn

Taiga was nowhere near as bad as the girl in Sakurasou no Pet na Kanajo. Not even close, Taiga was essentially just fucking messy, this chick, she, she can't even buy food and shit.

I don't want to pretend that either stories are fantastic but Toradora's definitely a step up from Sakurasou no Pet na Kanajo and the girl's aren't even comparable. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanajo's girl requires you to believe that somehow, this girl hasn't picked up any of this basic info until she meets Sorata, this is a leap that no human should be able to make. She had people watching her all this time and yet no one told her about money? Pants? Or anything of the like? Clearly she's not supposed to be actually handicapped in any way because in episode 2 she actually learns about having to actually purchase food, she picked that basic info up in one anime day from a single experience so how the fuck did she go 15 years or so without picking up that info? So she's not actually incapable of learning anything the writers just chose for her not to learn anything over the course of her entire life just so she could learn it all with this Sorata dude. How novel.

Anyways, I'm just watching this show for the cats, screw the characters.

OceanBlue

The main character is taking care of a girl who can't take of herself(Taiga). Misaki's personality is similar to Minori. There's the whole love drama bit, in the form of Misaki and Jin's relationship. This is of course assuming nothing happens between Sorata's female friend and Sorata that starts another love triangle issue. Not to mention both MCs feeling out of place in society and trying to fit in. The character designs themselves are pretty close in style to Toradora.

Taiga was completely able to take care of herself and Sorata doesn't feel out of place in society. Sorata's issue is that he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life.

These are all real stretches. A point of similarity is that there's a "love drama" between Misaki and Jin? Aside from "love drama" being super vague, Misaki and Jin's relationship is emulated nowhere in Toradora because Minori and Ami were
interested in Ryuuji, not Kitamura. If anything, Toradora was much more of a harem than Sakurasou, which is probably going to end up as a love triangle at most unless another girl is included.

It's also funny to me that the episode that causes all of the Toradora comparisons is the one that Okada isn't involved with. As for the art, the use of bright, saturated colors might be similar, but Sakurasou uses much more of a tinted color scheme in each of its scenes (with way too much lens flare).

And how the character designs in this:
are similar to this:
I will never understand.

Jex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 101
When are they gonna confront the Terraist threat? Nine episodes to go and that strand of the plot still feels secondary despite the fact that it's the one influence moving everything along.

You can't win a war on terror, my friend. It would be naive to think otherwise.

Jarmel

Banned
Taiga was completely able to take care of herself and Sorata doesn't feel out of place in society. Sorata's issue is that he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life.

These are all real stretches. A point of similarity is that there's a "love drama" between Misaki and Jin? Aside from "love drama" being super vague, Misaki and Jin's relationship is emulated nowhere in Toradora because Minori and Ami were interested in Ryuuji, not Kitamura. If anything, Toradora was much more of a harem than Sakurasou, which is probably going to end up as a love triangle at most unless another girl is included.

It's also funny to me that the episode that causes all of the Toradora comparisons is the one that Okada isn't involved with. As for the art, the use of bright, saturated colors might be similar, but Sakurasou uses much more of a tinted color scheme in each of its scenes (with way too much lens flare).

And how the character designs in this:

are similar to this:

I will never understand.

Yes Taiga wasn't as much as an idiot however both MC's are pretty much providing cleaning services and taking care of the MC. Sorata does have an inferiority complex however this episode and prior ones show that he is having problems fitting wherever he is, be it at Sakarasou due to not being gifted or in the normal world where he's still considered eccentric due to the cat issues.

Love drama in this case meaning that you have one party, Jin, trying to avoid the other one and does so by involving third parties, in this case being other women. Jin isn't being honest with his feelings and sleeps around, therefore he is hurting Misaki. That's a love drama. Yes the pairing doesn't match up 1:1 to Toradora however much of the basic premise is fairly similar, albeit somewhat common. I mean this episode we had Sorata getting mad at Jin for not ackowledging Misaka's feelings, we had that happen a few times in Toradora with Kitamura.

I wasn't comparing just this episode but the entire show.

Jex

Weekly Sales Rankings for Oct. 15-21:

Blu-ray
*2, 4,260 4,260 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita vol.2
Good.

*7, *,696 4,070 Five Star Stories Blu-ray Box
Good!
*9, *,302 *,302 Natsuyuki Rendezvous vol.1
That's...unfortunate. I don't quite see why it would do that poorly, that's like sub-fractale levels. For any of the complaints I might have had with the show I still thought it was a pretty good series overall and it certainly had some of the better written characters of the entire year.

Jex

I was going to post this but... just forgot or whatever. I found it convenient that they go back to the site of the first "incident" right after his second "incident". It's a nice way to show how things have changed for Haru anyway.

It would have worked better if it didn't look so goofy.

fertygo

Yes Taiga wasn't as much as an idiot however both MC's are pretty much providing cleaning services and taking care of the MC. Sorata does have an inferiority complex however this episode and prior ones show that he is having problems fitting wherever he is, be it at Sakarasou due to not being gifted or in the normal world where he's still considered eccentric due to the cat issues.

Love drama in this case meaning that you have one party, Jin, trying to avoid the other one and does so by involving third parties, in this case being other women. Jin isn't being honest with his feelings and sleeps around, therefore he is hurting Misaki. That's a love drama. Yes the pairing doesn't match up 1:1 to Toradora however much of the basic premise is fairly similar, albeit somewhat common. I mean this episode we had Sorata getting mad at Jin for not ackowledging Misaka's feelings, we had that happen a few times in Toradora with Kitamura.

Toradora is never about pursuing your personal goal/dream though, which the theme for Sakurasou.. that's why I don't find what so similar between those two beside the little stuff. Just look to your own post Jarmel, you even making many point about what different between both series.

OceanBlue

Sorata isn't considered eccentric because of cat issues. I haven't seen any indication of anyone thinking he's eccentric for it. He's not allowed to keep cats at his dorm, which is why he's in Sakurasou.

I still don't see the parallels between Kitamura and Jin. Who was the third party Kitamura involved? If I remember correctly, Kitamura had someone else he was legitimately interested in. If what you're saying is, "A character doesn't acknowledge another character's feelings and that's why it's similar," that idea completely ignores what was going on in Toradora. In fact, saying that any show where a character doesn't acknowledge another character's feelings makes this show more similar to shows like Hyouka.

Both shows involve Okada and the MC caring for the main heroine. There are probably some other small, coincidental similarities (the MC doesn't even care for the main heroine for the same reason, like how the "love drama" is different in both series), but I'm still not seeing the similarities.

Jarmel

Banned
Toradora is never about pursuing your personal goal/dream though, which the theme for Sakurasou.. that's why I don't find what so similar between those two beside the little stuff. Just look to your own post Jarmel, you even making many point that different between both series.

Of course there are differences. It doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of similarities as well.

Jex

Utena 33 seems to be a recap which is pretty boring when I'm marathoning the show. No comments on 32 because it basically clarified what happened in 31.

I skipped that entire recap first time through. I mean, why bother watching when we all know that recaps are just a waste of your time.

That's...unfortunate. I don't quite see why it would do that poorly, that's like sub-fractale levels. For any of the complaints I might have had with the show I still thought it was a pretty good series overall and it certainly had some of the better written characters of the entire year.

I don't think the lack of sales should come as a surprise. The kind of show Natsuyuki Rendezvous is - a realistic, understated adult drama - isn't the sort of thing that appeals to people who are interested in buying anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom