• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Hey guys, what's going on in her...

While FLCL was not a good anime, it had good songs like this.

Redline are very mediocre movie though.

Toradora wasn't even that great.

AioWL.gif

Jex

Is "understated" really even the right word for Natsuyuki Rendezvous? My experience with it is somewhat limited but it seemed fairly on the nose. Really it's just...unapologetically dry.

I hear the same argument being levelled against 'drama' in other mediums, such as literature and television and I don't quite understand the complaints. If you manage to write fairly realistic characters who speak and think in a believable manner and use them to explore some of the most fundamental aspects of what it means to be human (in the case of Natsuyuki Rendevous the aspect explored is clearly interpersonal relationships, specifically marriage and death) then I would consider that to be quite an accomplishment. I don't see why such material is uninteresting.

jman2050

I hear the same argument being levelled against 'drama' in other mediums, such as literature and television and I don't quite understand the complaints. If you manage to write fairly realistic characters who speak and think in a believable manner and use them to explore some of the most fundamental aspects of what it means to be human (in the case of Natsuyuki Rendevous the aspect explored is clearly interpersonal relationships, specifically marriage and death) then I would consider that to be quite an accomplishment. I don't see why such material is uninteresting.

Surely someone as ostensibly learned as yourself would reconcile dimb's perspective with the well documented phenomenon of escapism, no?

Is "understated" really even the right word for Natsuyuki Rendezvous? My experience with it is somewhat limited but it seemed fairly on the nose. Really it's just...unapologetically dry.

By "understated" I mean that it is restrained and low-key in its presentation of the characters' actions and emotional states, in contrast to the exaggerated and flamboyant melodrama which is more common in anime and Japanese television in general.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It would have worked better if it didn't look so goofy.
Yeah, it does look dumb. There's something weird about the perspective, even though the corner is supposed to evoke symmetry. Well, an the actual "splat" too I suppose.

Haha, someone was seemingly so bothered that firehawk12 didn't like Redline that they posted it on SOS with the tag "terrible taste".
They were just being factual.

"Redline is a piece of shit and anyone who likes it has no right to argue about taste or standards."
(-IGN.com, 9.534123432/10)

I don't even think it's worth arguing about anymore. It's like trying to convince a Republican that gay people aren't evil. I'm just going to walk away and write it off. lol

faridmon

What? I don't hate Toradora. People should know by now I love everything JC Staff adapts. I just don't think it's the second coming when it comes to sappy romance.

Admittedly, I haven't watched as many Anime as some of you have watched, but I thought it was the best Anime that did the romance right. The ending was perfect.

As I've mentioned before, I don't what Toradora is but I imagine that's inaccurate when Madoka Ayukawa exists.
You haven't watched Toradora?

Branduil

As I've mentioned before, I don't what Toradora is but I imagine that's inaccurate when Madoka Ayukawa exists.

It would be more accurate to say Taiga is the only tolerable Kugiloli tsundere.

And Toradora is the reason some of us thought that Ano Hana might actually be good.

Jex

Surely someone as ostensibly learned as yourself would reconcile dimb's perspective with the well documented phenomenon of escapism, no?

There's certainly a lot of escapist entertainment out there, perhaps it's even the dominant brand of entertainment. However what I didn't quite understand was why it would be a problem for a work to not be escapist entertainment. It seems like we've got room for all kinds of material.

Although, speaking strictly in terms of sales, I can see why such material isn't flying off the shelves. I imagine the kind of audience that's looking to have such an experience would probably turn to literature or manga, as opposed to anime.

faridmon

And Toradora is the reason some of us thought that Ano Hana might actually be good.

YESS! This person totally gets. I rather liked Ano Hana as well, even with all its weaknesses and annoyances. I hated Ano Natsu though :/

That's not Charlotte Dunois.

Sorry. Just because she is a character of the best Anime, does not constitute he as one of the best characters.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I hear the same argument being levelled against 'drama' in other mediums, such as literature and television and I don't quite understand the complaints. If you manage to write fairly realistic characters who speak and think in a believable manner and use them to explore some of the most fundamental aspects of what it means to be human (in the case of Natsuyuki Rendezvous the aspect explored is clearly interpersonal relationships, specifically marriage and death) then I would consider that to be quite an accomplishment. I don't see why such material is uninteresting.
Fictional work is like a flood. The amount out there is more than one could ever conceivably sort through in their lifetime. Conceptually nothing about death or marriage is unique, so simply dealing with those in an environment that is otherwise familiar is simply dull to me.

Furthermore, trying to grapple with certain themes that pop up often in fiction doesn't require the uninteresting dialogue and flat minute to minute that Rendezvous carries. I am going through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami right now which also focuses itself around marriage and death, but its handling of the material is stimulating and I find it able to provoke me on both a mental and an emotional level while maintaining possibly even a greater sense of realism than Rendezvous.

Predictable, and carrying an air that seemed as though it had no enlightenment to offer I found myself unreached by Rendezvous, and had no real incentive to pursue it. I suppose there is always the possibility I am missing out on something, but the first episode did not leave much of an impression.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Admittedly, I haven't watched as many Anime as some of you have watched, but I thought it was the best Anime that did the romance right. The ending was perfect.

Ugh.

Toradora was fine until the end. It suddenly devolves into garbage high school romance tripe harder and faster than any other show I've ever watched. It became downright painful to finish. The show becomes downright obnoxious with how it tries to hit you with certain events over the head, ones that feel completely forced and ruin the characters that they spent all that time building up for no real reason in the end.

Ano Hana was fine. I preferred it over Toradora, but I am not a fan of the latter at all. Ami was cool though.

mAcOdIn

That's true. Frankly the entire idea of a tsundere is terrible, the only way it actually could be approached "well" in my opinion was if the character had split personalities or something.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
YESS! This person totally gets. I rather liked Ano Hana as well, even with all its weaknesses and annoyances. I hated Ano Natsu though :/

The words of a Kanna fan.

That's true. Frankly the entire idea of a tsundere is terrible, the only way it actually could be approached "well" in my opinion was if the character had split personalities or something.

Or if the character was a Steins;Gate protagonist.

jman2050

One could even argue that Taiga isn't even an example of a "modern tsundere" at all!

It's an interesting argument to attempt, having tried it at one point somewhere else.

faridmon

Ugh.

Toradora was fine until the end. It suddenly devolves into garbage high school romance tripe harder and faster than any other show I've ever watched. It became downright painful to finish. The show becomes downright obnoxious with how it tries to hit you with certain events over the head, ones that feel completely forced and ruin the characters that they spent all that time building up for no real reason in the end.

Ano Hana was fine. I preferred it over Toradora, but I am not a fan of the latter at all. Ami was cool though.

Personally, I thought everything converged to such ending. All that happened, the misunderstandings and those character interactions, were just a means to the end that we got. Yes, it was rushed and part of it was quite forced
they got married, right?
, but if it happened any other way, I would have been disappointed.
Perhaps, I have build a certain affection for the two characters over the period of 24 Ep or so, but I rather liked how everything came together to fit in the end, and romance can be like that. One moment is not there, and the next thing, its catches on fire and explodes for no apparent reason (god that was lame). IMO, they haven't ruined any characters, but they did continue to develop as the series went along.

mAcOdIn

One could even argue that Taiga isn't even an example of a "modern tsundere" at all!

It's an interesting argument to attempt, having tried it at one point somewhere else.
Frankly I'd be willing to say that Taiga isn't really a tsundere, she is at the start but not by the end.

Taruranto

Tsundere are OK when they limit themself to small teasing like, dunno, Christina. Bipolar b... fine ladies like Taiga or any character voiced by teh Rie should however be nuked out of the existence.

Ezalc

I hated Ano Natsu though :/

Sorry. Just because she is a character of the best Anime, does not constitute he as one of the best characters.

Boothisman.gif.

Ano Natsu was pretty great, the protag wasn't a total bitch for once. And Char is totally the best tsundere in that she's barely a tsundere at all since tsundere in itself is a terrible character type, so she's the best by default.

Grzi

The ending to Toradora was great. They acted like kids in love and it felt really sweet and nostalgic in a way.

jman2050

Frankly I'd be willing to say that Taiga isn't really a tsundere, she is at the start but not by the end.

Going further, Toradora is a commentary on the undesirability of the tsundere archetype and how one needs to shed that childish approach to handling personal difficulties in order to truly grow up and learn to love others!

I can do this all day you know.

The ending to Toradora was great. They acted like kids in love and it felt really sweet and nostalgic in a way.

I approve of people who actually understood why the endgame was written the way it was.

Not that it was executed perfectly mind you. In fact, episodes 22-24 are my least favorite part of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom