• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto SD 30

btPfS.jpg

Pretty amusing episode. Works well with adding new characters into the mix as it can bring up slightly new jokes instead of rehasing old jokes. Tobi is pretty much a natural fit for a gag anime too.

/XX/

O.K. guys, don't be hasty. I'm sure TurkishEmperor has a good explanation to back up that opinion.

Just a reason, please.

jman2050

Of course there are differences. It doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of similarities as well.

I mean, if you want to get pedantic then sure, this is true. That doesn't mean the comparisons are meaningful. We have that very convenient idiom "like comparing apples to oranges" for a reason. Yes, they're both fruits, but outside of very general instances you can't substitute one for the other. Or if you want a more relevant example, compare most any two Jump manga past or present.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're nothing alike, just that it really doesn't matter all that much, and you can't say if you like one you'd like the other. Hell, if you want a show with superficial similarities to Toradora, My Little Monster fits the bill much more appropriately. And this isn't even getting into the fact that Toradora isn't exactly what I'd call a novel premise in the first place.

It's like when someone (Narag was it?) said that if one liked Nanoha, they would probably like Mai Otome, an assertion I found pretty ridiculous for many reasons.

Jex

Gintama 162

Now, this is the idol card battle show we all been waiting for. Aikatsu! eat your heart out.

But, god, another episode for this arc? Why does this arc not end.

It's okay to skip some episodes when an arc drags. I did it for the arc you're actually watching.

mAcOdIn

I think it's perfectly reasonable to believe that when you're going to go around slaughtering sacred cows that you should put up or shut up.
It's that kind of thinking that enables dictatorships around the world to commit atrocities.

Of course few have managed to match Gainax's crimes against humanity.

/XX/

I think it's perfectly reasonable to believe that when you're going to go around slaughtering sacred cows that you should put up or shut up.
Oh man, TurkishEmperor! Come back soon because I'm not sure if I will be willing to defend you much more time!

It's okay to skip some episodes when an arc drags. I did it for the arc you're actually watching.

True, but considering how much of it I sat through already and I would hope the next one is probably the last episode, no reason to sit through it.

The fate of watching anime.

Ultimadrago

Gintama 162
But, god, another episode for this arc? Why does this arc not end.

This is a tad worrying. From where I am now, Gintama has only had fairly brief arcs (in comparison to other popular shounen) that don't overstay their welcome.

However, I'm guessing it's not a common occurrence for it to have dragging arcs if you're bringing it up only recently (from what I've read of your past impressions).

Jex

It's that kind of thinking that enables dictatorships around the world to commit atrocities.

Of course few have managed to match Gainax's crimes against humanity.
It's good that you're back because you're making me look positive by comparison.

Jex

This is a tad worrying. From where I am now, Gintama has only had fairly brief arcs (in comparison to other popular shounen) that don't overstay their welcome.

However, I'm guessing it's not a common occurrence for it to have dragging arcs if you're bringing it up only recently (from what I've read of your past impressions).
There's only two or three arcs that I can think out out of the whole run (255 episodes and counting) that actually drag noticeably. Most of the time they do a great job.

Yeah, this is probably the first arc where I'm going why is this still going. Though, this is probably coupled with my initial dislike of the main characters in focus, Shinpachi and in extension Otsu.

Starting with an already less than positive view of the episode and not seeing it end episode after episode makes me sigh each time the episode preview shows the arc still going.

Saying a 7 episode arc drags is kind of mindblowing to me. It's not that long. The Yagyuu and Yoshiwara arcs have worse pacing, yet skipping an episode in either of those would be a VERY bad idea.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't think the lack of sales should come as a surprise. The kind of show Natsuyuki Rendezvous is - a realistic, understated adult drama - isn't the sort of thing that appeals to people who are interested in buying anime.
Does it appeal to anyone?

mAcOdIn

It's good that you're back because you're making me look positive by comparison.
I need my cranky member spot back, making you look positive's just a side effect.

Regarding Natsuyuki Rendezvous sales though, it never seemed like a buyer. Heck I don't even want to buy it. I buy things I want to rewatch, I have no desire to watch that again, it's not that it was bad just that it's run its course.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People interested in realistic, understated adult drama?
Is "understated" really even the right word for Natsuyuki Rendezvous? My experience with it is somewhat limited but it seemed fairly on the nose. Really it's just...unapologetically dry.

/XX/

People interested in realistic, understated adult drama?

They exist, you know. They're just not the types who spend ~7040 (+/- around there) yen per 2 episodes on a show.
That's it, really.

Easy to say now, but many argued before this would have worked very well as a live-action 'dorama', and most probably it would have been much more profitable! Well, they tried, so that is something good to take out of this.

Jex

Saying a 7 episode arc drags is kind of mindblowing to me. It's not that long. The Yagyuu and Yoshiwara arcs have worse pacing, yet skipping an episode in either of those would be a VERY bad idea.

Seven episodes is pretty long if nothing interesting is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom