• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Can we even call it a personality disorder, when it only activates when [love interest] is involved?

Of course not, IMO. If anyone else in this thread watches, or will admit to watching, The Mindy Project on Fox this season, Mindy displays several hallmarks of what anime fans call "tsundere" behaviour towards her obvious eventual love interest - but you wouldn't say she has a personality disorder.

(well, maybe you would, but I wouldn't!).

Most anime/manga exaggerate these tendencies because exaggeration is the default setting for anime humour- but they're still fairly normal tropes for romcom storytelling without tipping into mental disorder.

mAcOdIn

You don't need exaggeration to be Tsubdere-like in real life.
I think you do. The modern tsundere is unrealistic and silly because of exactly that, if the character type were more nuanced it wouldn't be a tsundere and no one would be having this conversation.

So it works either way, if there was an abundance of real life people who acted out in an exaggerated manner towards people they like then the tsundere would be an accurate archtype and no-one would have ever batted an eye and on the flip side if the current fictional tsundere did not act in such exaggerated manners the character would be more realistic and thus not be a tsundere. Just because someone fits the bill every once in a while is not enough to mean they meet the concept of a tsundere, human interaction is way more complex than to be summed up by a handful of interactions like that in real life.

Heck, I can't even count the amount of archtypes that I fit in certain given moments in real life but I sure as heck don't fit them as a honest to goodness person.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 7
1FhMv.jpg

Like a true harem show.
A summer trip episode, so you know what that means.
:chet and more :chet
Basically this whole episode was showing how much Tsuchida's sister Satsuki has the hots for him. Otherwise it was your typical episode with Tsuchida being Tsuchida and Anzu being Anzu. Looks like a new girl is being added into the mix next episode, which should help stop the show from going stale.
nhLX6.jpg

Lazy translators.

OceanBlue

Does Nagi from Hayate no Gotoku count as a tsundere Kuguloli? Kagami from Lucky Star is a modern tsundere, right? I'm trying to understand the argument so far, and I think the issue is that these characters are tsundere in regards to their relationship with the protagonist, but since a majority of their character is defined by that relationship, these characters are seen as bipolar about everything. Nagi's and Kagami's screentime aren't predominantly used for romantic interactions with the MC, so I want to know if they act in similarly exaggerated ways to you guys.

Articalys

Oh, for anyone wondering, here's the matchups for the Saimoe final eight:

Louise De La Valliere (Zero no Tsukaima) vs. Toki Onjouji (Saki)
Nodoka Haramura (Saki) vs. Saki Miyanaga (Saki)
Kuro Matsumi (Saki) vs. Yuu Matsumi (Saki)
Shana (Shakugan No Shana) vs. Hisa Takei (Saki)

So the Saimoe winner this year will be either a Saki character or a Rie Kugimiya character (Tacos got eliminated a few rounds back so it can't be both), though the former is much more likely. Also, six out of eight quarterfinalists from the same series is a new record, though it is a bit boring. Not that half of last year's group being Medukas was much better.

Does Nagi from Hayate no Gotoku count as a tsundere Kuguloli? Kagami from Lucky Star is a modern tsundere, right? I'm trying to understand the argument so far, and I think the issue is that these characters are tsundere in regards to their relationship with the protagonist, but since a majority of their character is defined by that relationship, these characters are seen as bipolar about everything. Nagi's and Kagami's screentime aren't predominantly used for romantic interactions with the MC, so I want to know if they act in similarly exaggerated ways to you guys.

Nagi is definitely a tsundere, but she's a pretty strange one considering lazy hikkikomori generally don't fit that archetype very well. Hinagiku is a more standard one.

Company of Heroes Moe Girls 3

6auNkl.jpg

So, this is okay because Rommel was a "good Nazi" and not a "let's kill 6 million Jews Nazi", right? I just want to know where I'm supposed to stand on German fetishism.

Are people not allowed to like German tanks? I guess I just don't understand your thinking on this.

Joe Molotov

Hidamari Sketch × Hoshimittsu SP 01

So sad, Natusme gets no love from this show. It's not her fault it's impossible for her to ever compete with the greatest waifu of all time, Hiro. Sae just needs to harem that shit up.

OceanBlue

Nagi is definitely a tsundere, but she's a pretty strange one considering lazy hikkikomori generally don't fit that archetype very well. Hinagiku is a more standard one.

That works for what I'm trying to say because, for most of the time Nagi appears, she's trying to shirk off her duties and play games, while Hinagiku is mostly trying to fight for Hayate's affection when she appears.

What I'm trying to get at is that I think the reasons one seems so much more bipolar has to do with how their character is written. I would say that tsunderes don't necessarily have to be exaggerated and crazy, but due to characters having one-dimensional personalities and the perspective of most anime being primarily centered on the MC, some of them seem that way and they stand out. That's what I think about this argument.

Kagami

Girls und Panzer 2

Character animation is so lively in this; it's a joy to watch.
Many (silly) questions remain unanswered--I wonder how many will be answered and how many will simply be the really-short-pants of this world.

Emitan

Revolutionary Girl Utena 39

This series sure was... something. I was confused as hell half the time but I really enjoyed it.

Steroyd

Oh, for anyone wondering, here's the matchups for the Saimoe final eight:

Louise De La Valliere (Zero no Tsukaima) vs. Toki Onjouji (Saki)
Nodoka Haramura (Saki) vs. Saki Miyanaga (Saki)
Kuro Matsumi (Saki) vs. Yuu Matsumi (Saki)
Shana (Shakugan No Shana) vs. Hisa Takei (Saki)

So the Saimoe winner this year will be either a Saki character or a Rie Kugimiya character (Tacos got eliminated a few rounds back so it can't be both), though the former is much more likely. Also, six out of eight quarterfinalists from the same series is a new record, though it is a bit boring. Not that half of last year's group being Medukas was much better.

Not just any Rie Kugyama characters, the same kugiloli character with a different colour palette that need to die in a fire.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think 'military fan culture' cares much about the background of the actual armies' regimes.
Probably not. I mean, I respect Rommel as a general and he was one of the few non-assholes in the Nazi command (like Yamamoto and the Japanese. And funny enough, the Allies tried to assassinate both men because they realized they were the only competent men working for the Axis powers), but even so, it's just weird.

I mean, at least she's not cosplaying as Goebbels? Right?

That works for what I'm trying to say because, for most of the time Nagi appears, she's trying to shirk off her duties and play games, while Hinagiku is mostly trying to fight for Hayate's affection when she appears.

What I'm trying to get at is that I think the reasons one seems so much more bipolar has to do with how their character is written. I would say that tsunderes don't necessarily have to be exaggerated and crazy, but due to characters having one-dimensional personalities and the perspective of most anime being primarily centered on the MC, some of them seem that way and they stand out. That's what I think about this argument.

I think it's important to note that tsunderes don't even NEED a love interest to display that personality. That just happens to be what they're mostly used for. It's why I would compare it to bipolar spectrum disorders which obviously deal with a lot more than romance.

faridmon

I think you do. The modern tsundere is unrealistic and silly because of exactly that, if the character type were more nuanced it wouldn't be a tsundere and no one would be having this conversation.

So it works either way, if there was an abundance of real life people who acted out in an exaggerated manner towards people they like then the tsundere would be an accurate archtype and no-one would have ever batted an eye and on the flip side if the current fictional tsundere did not act in such exaggerated manners the character would be more realistic and thus not be a tsundere. Just because someone fits the bill every once in a while is not enough to mean they meet the concept of a tsundere, human interaction is way more complex than to be summed up by a handful of interactions like that in real life.

Heck, I can't even count the amount of archtypes that I fit in certain given moments in real life but I sure as heck don't fit them as a honest to goodness person.
Sure, once you put it this way, then, no, Tsundere doesn't exist even if the person is 5 years old or less. However, every notion of characterisation could be perceived like that.

OceanBlue

I think it's important to note that tsunderes don't even NEED a love interest to display that personality. That just happens to be what they're mostly used for. It's why I would compare it to bipolar spectrum disorders which obviously deal with a lot more than romance.

I can't think of any exaggerated, "crazy" tsundere that acts that way for anything other than romance, which is why I'm saying that. Kagami from Lucky Star doesn't act tsundere for a love interest, but I personally don't think she particularly acts in a bipolar way either.

faridmon

OK, guys, I haven't watched anything this season. What is hot right now? I am back home for my little holiday and I could do with an Anime or two.

Also, now I can post more
unpopular opinions
Yay!

Reknoc

OK, guys, I haven't watched anything this season. What is hot right now? I am back home for my little holiday and I could do with an Anime or two.

unpopular opinions
Yay!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Code:Breaker
My Little Monster

faridmon

But I was commenting earlier with faridmon Ms. Hanazawa roles... that was a reply to that!

Apologies, my friend, but I can't seem to recall anything apart from making comments about Tsunderes, Toradora, Ano Natsu and Ano Hana :/

Although, I do remember mentioning how I hate the main character in Cold Fish.

OceanBlue

unpopular opinions
Yay!
What do you like? There's a pretty wide selection this season in my opinion.

My favorites are Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, and From the New World, but there are a lot of shows I'm enjoying.

unpopular opinions
Yay!

"K" and Blast of Tempest are must watches. Both have interesting magic and music direction and good duos, and also lead the way in visuals this season. K may take awhile to understand but once understanding is reached its really good.

Grzi

unpopular opinions
Yay!

From The New World
Magi
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Chuu-2 Kyou
JoJo
Psycho-Pass

are all good, at least so far.

Zetsuen no Tempest
Code:Breaker
Medaka Box Abnormal

could be good, but it could still go either way.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

unpopular opinions
Yay!

My Little Monster

The only show I've watched so far this season (albeit its only 6 of them) that I haven't dropped / will end up dropping soon enough.

faridmon

RE: what I am into...Well, anything that is good. Preferably not Shonen, Mech or have some stupid Romance complications (Although I did like Toradora, but good romance are a rarity these days in Animes IMO)

Thanks, guys, that is a lot of shows. It seems that this season is a good one. I have to condense it to a show or two since my holiday is a week long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom