• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Gunslinger Girl - 01

qzbWC.jpg

I'm a bit sleepy so I'll keep this short. Amazing atmosphere and visuals (the action scene was short but oh so sweet), some really powerful imagery (the scene where Henrietta is hugging her gun was touching, to say the least) and a great setup for an intriguing story make me sad that I have to get up early in the morning and can't continue watching right now.
Well, there's always tomorrow.

sonicmj1

While the ending was "nice",
the fact that Utena (and Anthy for the matter) was defiled by some sis-con douchebag was not
. I'll take my shoujo-ai with
no men fucking things up thank you.

You're the only person I know who labored under the preconception that Utena was a seminal work of shoujo-ai. It shares a few tropes with it, but I think it's pretty distinct from that genre.

I find it interesting that people say Jojo is particularly manly. It strikes me as being one of the campest shows I've ever seen (and I've watched Patalliro...) - and deliberately so, at that. The gif that Steroyd's just posted of a topless Dio mincing towards the camera isn't exactly what I'd call the height of heteronormative manliness.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a bad thing, nor am I saying that I don't like the show (I do!). But "manly" isn't the adjective I'd use to describe it.

Why can't campy be manly? Are you saying Cho Aniki isn't manly?

Stoof

From the New World 4

The animation is sooo good and I'm glad we finally learned stuff about the world, also the monk was cool even though he was an asshat. Still love the ED.

Syrinx

Yuru Yuri 2

WE GON' ORGANIZE THE SHIT OUTTA THIS PAPERWORK!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I should say that I was seriously considering bailing the fuck out at
Chitose's sexiness contest (there was also Kyoko proposing a strip-off, but I was convinced at first that I read that wrong)
. But I soldiered on like a champ.

Anyhoo, Kyoko and the student council president go at it because the student council president is an egotistical jackass who is furious at Kyoko's constant insistence of doing better than her on schoolwork. HOW DARE SHE!!!!! So, the student council president (what was her name, I forget?) threatens to throw them out of the teahouse because it's not theirs. So they decide on a contest on who does better on the next test. All while student council president's assistant Chitose has orgasms at fantasies she has. Oh, by the way, she orgasms blood. Through her nose. Why? I'll tell you why. I don't know.

This ends up with the club doing intense paperwork at the student council office. The rival candidates in Akari and Chinatsu's class hate each other. Oh, but not really. They try to be nice to each other. Oh, but they just make each other hate each other more. At some point, this ends with one of them slapping around the other's boobs. Because Because she's insecure. Or something.

At the end, Yui and Kyoko go over to studentcouncilpresident's house because she's sick. This scene contains the following exchange:

studentcouncilpresident: "I have a stomach ache and a fever"

Chitose: I'm glad to hear you're okay.

Syrinx: Wait...huh?

Anyway, at some point, Kyoko breaks Chitose's glasses. Which causes her to orgasm uncontrollably, as her orgasms are directly tied to her glasses. Remember, for those of you children who suck at following along, Chitose orgasms nosebleeds. The show said it couldn't show me the scene. I'm glad they're so considerate.

Still getting used to it. This is quite the departure from the norm for me.

By the way, am I too liberal with my spoiler tags?

Joe Molotov

Yuru Yuri 2

WE GON' ORGANIZE THE SHIT OUTTA THIS PAPERWORK!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I should say that I was seriously considering bailing the fuck out at
Chitose's sexiness contest (there was also Kyoko proposing a strip-off, but I was convinced at first that I read that wrong)
. But I soldiered on like a champ.

Anyhoo, Kyoko and the student council president go at it because the student council president is an egotistical jackass who is furious at Kyoko's constant insistence of doing better than her on schoolwork. HOW DARE SHE!!!!! So, the student council president (what was her name, I forget?) threatens to throw them out of the teahouse because it's not theirs. So they decide on a contest on who does better on the next test. All while student council president's assistant Chitose has orgasms at fantasies she has. Oh, by the way, she orgasms blood. Through her nose. Why? I'll tell you why. I don't know.

This ends up with the club doing intense paperwork at the student council office. The rival candidates in Akari and Chinatsu's class hate each other. Oh, but not really. They try to be nice to each other. Oh, but they just make each other hate each other more. At some point, this ends with one of them slapping around the other's boobs. Because Because she's insecure. Or something.

At the end, Yui and Kyoko go over to studentcouncilpresident's house because she's sick. This scene contains the following exchange:

studentcouncilpresident: "I have a stomach ache and a fever"

Chitose: I'm glad to hear you're okay.

Syrinx: Wait...huh?

Anyway, at some point, Kyoko breaks Chitose's glasses. Which causes her to orgasm uncontrollably, as her orgasms are directly tied to her glasses. Remember, for those of you children who suck at following along, Chitose orgasms nosebleeds. The show said it couldn't show me the scene. I'm glad they're so considerate.

Still getting used to it. This is quite the departure from the norm for me.

By the way, am I too liberal with my spoiler tags?

She's actually the student council VICE PRESIDENT, try to keep up with the storyline bro.

-Minsc-

What kind of show is Gintama? Is it mainly a comedy with some action on the side?

I always took it for a "Bleach with comedy" type of show.

I find Gintama to be a hard show to describe. "Bleach with comedy" is not an accurate description as the show is so much more than that. There is something about how it seamlessly switches from comedy to serious (and back) which other shows can not compare. The setting of Gintama removes the "world restrictions" which can limit other shows.

Give it a watch, there's a reason people are mostly positive to Gintama. The first 25 episodes introduce the main cast of characters and is the point where the author works out what works and doesn't. Some find this portion of the series to be a little weak, however I enjoyed it right from the start. We all agree that there's a steady increase in quality of the writing during the first 50 episodes, after which it remains fairly consistent. If you don't feel it in the first 13 or so episodes we generally recommend jumping to episode 25 followed by episode 58.

BluWacky

Why can't campy be manly? Are you saying Cho Aniki isn't manly?

I guess that kind of macho hypermasculinity is still, well, masculine (it's in the word, after all). I just don't see that as being the same thing as "manly". I wouldn't use the word "manly" to describe something flamboyant or theatrical, which I think Cho Aniki, Jojo and the ultraviolent OVAs of the 80s definitely are.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri 2

All while student council president's assistant Chitose has orgasms at fantasies she has. Oh, by the way, she orgasms blood. Through her nose. Why? I'll tell you why. I don't know.

Nose bleeds are quite a common anime trope. THough saying that I haven't really seen it much recently. Must be watching the wrong shows.

Joe Molotov

I guess that kind of macho hypermasculinity is still, well, masculine (it's in the word, after all). I just don't see that as being the same thing as "manly". I wouldn't use the word "manly" to describe something flamboyant or theatrical, which I think Cho Aniki, Jojo and the ultraviolent OVAs of the 80s definitely are.

Don't pigeonhole "manly", manliness is a state of mind.

cajunator

Banned
Gunslinger Girl - 01

qzbWC.jpg

I'm a bit sleepy so I'll keep this short. Amazing atmosphere and visuals (the action scene was short but oh so sweet), some really powerful imagery (the scene where Henrietta is hugging her gun was touching, to say the least) and a great setup for an intriguing story make me sad that I have to get up early in the morning and can't continue watching right now.
Well, there's always tomorrow.

You chose well.
This show is a favorite among animegaf.

I think people were talking about Gainax in here like a week or so ago, and this show came up. People were ridiculing it, I looked it up, saw boobs, decided to watch it then and there.
Gainax knows boobs.

That they do!

Steroyd

Nose bleeds are quite a common anime trope. THough saying that I haven't really seen it much recently. Must be watching the wrong shows.

It's weird the last nosebleed boner I saw was in How I Met Your Mother. And I'm very sure that's not an anime.

cajunator

Banned
Nosebleeds were very common in early haremshit.
It seems to be mostly an injoke now.
I dont see it being used nearly as often anymore.

Narag

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 20
uiytRl.png

The show proper isn't necessarily a looker but this is the worst I've seen.

That's some strange continuity.
lmao @ J9 being so mercenary they didn't want to rescue one of their own or take on the guy calling them out without proper payment

Hanamaru Kindergarten 9
IcKCz.jpg

Pa Pa, Pa Pa, Panda Neko!
So the creator of Panda Neko lives right by the kindergarten? Not only that, but is in love with one of the Yamamoto sisters? Crazy small world. The Yamamoto sisters are a lot more in common with each other than I thought. They seem to easily figure out if some one else is in love with their sister, but can't see it when it comes to themselves.
Then the kids all show what they want to be when they grow up. Hiiragi wants to be a jedi knight, Koume wants to be a cake shop, flower shop, or toy store owner, and Anzu wants big boobs. Then all the teachers tell stories as to why they became a kindergarten teacher. Leave it to Tsuchida to be a pervert.
Good episode.
6UBRd.jpg

Anime Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian? Weird.

Branduil

Nosebleeds were very common in early haremshit.
It seems to be mostly an injoke now.
I dont see it being used nearly as often anymore.

I've also noticed less of these, as well as less sweat drops and popping veins. Of course it's entirely possible this is merely selection bias, but I'd like to think these cliches have been mostly dumped in the garbage bin of history along with other bad '90s staples such as hideous character designs with misshapen jawlines and cheeks covered in random scribbles.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've also noticed less of these, as well as less sweat drops and popping veins. Of course it's entirely possible this is merely selection bias, but I'd like to think these cliches have been mostly dumped in the garbage bin of history along with other bad '90s staples such as hideous character designs with misshapen jawlines and cheeks covered in random scribbles.
no u
Are they often used in place of orgasms?
I think the idea is that body temperature gets so hot the blood vessels in the nose expand up to the point of rupture. It's a nice euphemism for a boner.

Narag

We should be cataloging this and find where it peaked.

So what's your definition of manly? I mean stuff like Duke Nukem and all the dudebro stuff today is pretty theatrical too.

Definitely selection bias. Nosebleeds are still everywhere.

Steroyd

Are they often used in place of orgasms?

Originally I thought it was to replace a boner because of censorship reasons, but I think if you really do try to contain your erotic excitment too much blood will rush to your head and escape out of your nose.

Granted not to the point where it explodes out.

Syrinx

Originally I thought it was to replace a boner because of censorship reasons, but I think if you really do try to contain your erotic excitment too much blood will rush to your head and esxape out of your nose.

Granted not to the point where it explodes out.

Huh. Her nose was going off like one of those sprinklers that does that tss-tss-tss-tss-tss-tss-tss-tss-tss-tss-tssssssssssssssss thing where it sprays disjunctly one way and then one whole spray the other way.

Well, not exactly, but you get the idea.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 3

[Redacted]

What a high school life, huh. Unknown girls getting in your bed to wake you up in the morning every single day. Kyon 2.0 has so much game.

I'm officially in for this show. It's funny, well-animated, self-aware, and so kawaii.

The ED song's also pretty catchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom