• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanamaru Kindergarten 11
OJlZ5.jpg

Kinda sad that I know exactly where he is in that game.
What a very melancholic episode. Kinda odd for an show like this. Basically continues from the last episode with Tsuchida kicking himself for botching his confession to Nanako, and by the end of the episode he's no better than he was before. And I was right about the Yamamoto sisters being dense, but the guys could be trying a little harder too.
The ED for this episode was pretty cute
xgrBB.jpg

I'm looking!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Episode 4 is a significant game changer for From the New World, but if there was nothing at all about the previous three episodes that interested you I doubt it'll change your mind.

Episode 4 moves things along in a way unlike the previous 3 episodes.
It's not moving the goalposts because I liked both shows from the beginning. But the shows do change to some degree in the specified episodes, so there's no harm in trying them.
I'll give it another go next week when crunchyroll keeps on granting me free shit, but I doubt it's gonna solve any of my problems with obfuscating exposition and lack of interesting characterisation.

At least it looks pretty.
How long? Utena was pretty long for me. Anything over 24 episodes is daunting.
Seventy episodes. It's not a show you should marathon.
Card Captor Sakura is one of the most perverted shows ever made, though.
I keep forgetting the Tomoyo angle.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You can mask a pile of shit and make it look pretty, but we all know what it be on the inside.
In terms of its content Hyouka is more substantial than most other shows I've watched this year, particularly this season.

I understand that the show isn't for everyone necessarily, but I would hope that even detractors of the series can see at least some of the value it carries.

I find it interesting that people say Jojo is particularly manly. It strikes me as being one of the campest shows I've ever seen (and I've watched Patalliro...) - and deliberately so, at that. The gif that Steroyd's just posted of a topless Dio mincing towards the camera isn't exactly what I'd call the height of heteronormative manliness.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a bad thing, nor am I saying that I don't like the show (I do!). But "manly" isn't the adjective I'd use to describe it.
Manliness and homoerotic undertones go hand in hand. Manliness is about men, after all.
So what do you think of Kyoko?
She's one of my favorite Madoka characters.
Et tu, cajun?
Watching someone with a pure view coming into this is so goooooooood.
I'm tracking you now lol
Yup. It's interesting seeing someone watch it for the first time on their own given the communal experience that Madoka was.

Thoraxes

If Hyouka was only the last 11 episodes I would've liked it better.

I just can't forget how lacking and stagnant the first half was though.

I will give you the visual card though, it was at least pretty.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
We are like a year and a half out from Nichijou and people still take potshots at it.

Infinite Ryvius 13

Back to your regularly scheduled quality.
Quite the authoritarian dictatorship Airs Blue has set up for himself; wonder how long that'll be able to last before people decide to rebel. The tension between him and Juli is really heating up; there's a weird quasi-sexual tension where I'm not quite sure if the confrontations are going to end in them punching each other or making out with each other.

Unfortunately, there are a couple more episodes that suffer from the semi-recap problem. I can only assume they had production difficulties that necessitated reused footage.

On the bright side, even though it breaks up the pacing, the rest of the story is properly told.

Well, it's not like I'm not used to TV anime being marred by production difficulties by now.

survivor

Banned
I think you can make a legitimate argument for Hyouka being the best-looking animated TV series of all time. At the very least, it's certainly one of the most consistent.

I wish Chuunibyou looked this good

On a related note, I remember using another post of yours similar to this one loaded with Hyouka background art to convince my friend to pick up the show. And surprisingly it worked.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Biliechu just went full on furry.

Game over, judgement modo engaged, full power.

Soma

I think you can make a legitimate argument for Hyouka being the best-looking animated TV series of all time. At the very least, it's certainly one of the most consistent.

I miss this show already.

Totally giving this a re-watch before the year is over.

Branduil

because I know who did the routine
unless they just used it as reference, but I dont think they would get the same movement

ibmfhfiNq59kK6.gif

I'm sure they used references, but I doubt it was just straight rotoscoped. It's usually pretty easy to tell when something is rotoscoped, like the band scenes in Kids on the Slope.

Uchip

Banned
ibmfhfiNq59kK6.gif

I'm sure they used references, but I doubt it was just straight rotoscoped. It's usually pretty easy to tell when something is rotoscoped, like the band scenes in Kids on the Slope.

the powermove set was too accurate to not be reproduced frame by frame
the only other time ive seen it done was in the intro to tenjou tenge

its not a bad thing, I mean its surely one of the hardest things imaginable to animate without reference

survivor

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 9

Is the girl who drew the flowers painting in this episode gonna show up later?

I have been listening to the OST for a while and it's really great. My current favourite track is this one. So good, especially the second half.

Branduil

I wish Chuunibyou looked this good

On a related note, I remember using another post of yours similar to this one loaded with Hyouka background art to convince my friend to pick up the show. And surprisingly it worked.

Glad to help. I certainly hope KyoAni does make another show as beautiful as Hyouka, and we don't have to wait for its sequel to see one.

You know, one thing I haven't seen talked about a lot, is that I think the HD era has allowed a new appreciation for good background art. SD resolutions are just like a thumbnail view, it's only recently that we can really see the individual brushstrokes and detail that good layout artists and painters can produce. I don't know what the technical term for "background sakuga" is, but I think we should popularize it.

And it's not just modern anime, when old non-theatrical anime are released on Blu-Ray, it really is like seeing it for the first time, because no one has actually gotten to see those details before except the people who worked on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom