• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Thanks, but too late now. It is a pact made with more people, so wish me luck!

Let it be known this day and among these people that my hands are clean of this impending atrocity!

I suppose since it's come to this, I'll put my final bargaining chip on the table: I'll watch Teekyuu in exchange for you not watching Aikatsu. This is how it should have been from the very beginning! You won't have this opportunity again!

Running a mild fever. I blame you Mad Pierrot! Somehow...

Let's just say that this Fall weather keeps me from making it to the drugstore very often...

I blame El Cantare for this outcome.

El Cantare would never do something that would obstruct someone from living up to their human potential. Perhaps, something about /XX/'s trial will impart upon him a renewed ingenuity and industriousness.

cajunator

Banned
I will disagree slightly. I basically dropped Fate/Zero after episode 3 and my eventual desire to continue it was largely attributed to feeling left out of the party, slogging through it in the hopes that maybe, eventually, something would click with me and then I would be able to join in on the fun everyone is having.

I kept watching, but after a point I simply stopped posting impressions because I didn't want to be scene as trolling for attention or just being a hater. :-/

There's no problem with not enjoying something. Im talking about people who hatewatch even older shows. They obviously find some amount of enjoyment in it. Like SAO for example. I fucking hate most of the characters in it but somehow it has recently become interesting again by basically rebooting the show. It does just enough that I still watch it.
Im not saying people have to LOVE what they watch but they find the tiniest bit of interest in it.

Also, despite all the talks of "masochism" and "hatewatch", I really think that if people did not in fact enjoy what they are watching in some small way, they wouldn't bother at all. If you are hate watching something, you still like it to a degree. The shows people truly hate are not even discussed or given the time of day. These are shows that show up in the OP but get absolutely no discussion time whatsoever. Those are the true failures.

True...if I continue to watch a show it has to have some redeeming value. Though I have no explanation for Green Green.

I assume people would drop the truly worthless shows and not discuss at all.

/XX/

Set in stone Mad Pierrot, set in stone...

Well, no medium is inherently classy or déclassé. I was simply remarking that our friend /XX/ has an appreciation of the medium that strongly tends toward works with artistic and critical merit, of which there are still undeniably many in spite of the aggregate "image" of the industry's output.
Maybe I don't post about other things on this forums because I find it a place for a different type of discussions, one place I sometimes want to escape to and meet a different kind of nice community like you are, but all in all I just consider myself an all-rounder with high tolerances for very distinct shows. Just your typical fan of animation in general.

I could've sworn I placed you in Shu. :(
Oh, that is nice! :)

You really really don't have to do it if you don't want to. I'm just messing around anyway, no way I would ever bother with that shit myself.

What I'm trying to say here is that I don't need your blood on my hands, okay?!
No one is responsible except myself, I won't blame anyone (much less you, pal).

DiGiKerot

If you mean English dub only, I am pretty sure Kurokami had the same problem when released by Bandai. I for one enjoy watching both the sub and dub of the anime I own, so I would rather take a delayed release or locked subtitles over a dub-only release.

I've actually got the Japanese Kurokami BDs, which was actually a pretty fantastic release for a show which got kind of bad kind of quickly. The irony is that I ended up watching it Dubbed anyway, just because they had the English track on the disk (along with the Korean dub and a crapton of extras. Show sold like crap in Japan anyway, but there's weird extenuating circumstances around that show...)

Wooser no Sonohi Gurashi 04

4LTF3.jpg

At this point, this show is going to be How Many Voices Can Mamoru Do?

Kazzy

Still upset how the bluray release of Persona 4 was handled.

Are you referring to the US release, and the fact that it has no Japanese audio track? Which is what bothers me, because I would have otherwise imported it. The UK release retains them, although the release schedule is ridiculously staggered (and is across three separate releases, rather than the two Sentai has).

I'll probably end up not buying it at all.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oh, that is nice! :)

Haha! Maybe later on in the thread (much later) I'll do a final version of it to include the everyone I missed by accident. It's pretty amazing how many people AnimeGAF has. :)

I might turn it into a Warriors Orochi list. So many more people to choose from.

jbug617

Banned
Are you referring to the US release, and the fact that it has no Japanese audio track? Which is what bothers me, because I would have otherwise imported it. The UK release retains them, although the release schedule is ridiculously staggered (and is across three separate releases, rather than the two Sentai has).

I'll probably end up not buying it at all.

Yeah it was the audio track and the late announcement for that. If they allow it on the DVD,they should allow it on the bluray.

Steroyd

Also, despite all the talks of "masochism" and "hatewatch", I really think that if people did not in fact enjoy what they are watching in some small way, they wouldn't bother at all. If you are hate watching something, you still like it to a degree. The shows people truly hate are not even discussed or given the time of day. These are shows that show up in the OP but get absolutely no discussion time whatsoever. Those are the true failures.

I don't know, hatewatching, is only when something is bad enough to pique your interest into seeing how bad it can get, which sometimes churn out entertaining results.

Although there are awful shows, that are just too genericly bad.

And there's always the "All RPG characters are level 99 fetish"

True...if I continue to watch a show it has to have some redeeming value. Though I have no explanation for Green Green.

Admit it, when one of those 3 shitty friends got raped by a bear, you were enjoying that in a truly sadistic manor that it carried you through the rest of the show.

It was a glorious moment I tell you GLORIOUS.

These are shows that show up in the OP but get absolutely no discussion time whatsoever. Those are the true failures.

Monsuno, Cross Fight B-Daman, creys. (well if more of Monsuno was subbed). I dont think there are any other shows in the OP that arent at least discussed by at least one person. Otherwise I dont think there are any failures up there?

Mandoric

Banned
So is the main reason why we don't get BDs to fight reverse importing or does Japan just want us to suffer?

Reverse importing, authoring is a right pain in the ass compared to DVD so the more ramshackle portions of the US industry don't want to bother, etc.

It costs around $1000-$1500 in licencing fees per BD disc, which for most home video releases is less than the lawyer would get paid to read the licence agreement, but for anime in the US is around 5% of projected GROSS due to low sales/bargain-basement prices. For shows that aren't dubbed, it's literally higher than all other production costs combined.

That's why the engsubs-on-Japanese-disc model works so well. Reverse importation isn't a problem when Aniplex or BV is getting $50 a disc either way, the BD fees are already rolled into the already-profitable Japanese release where they "cost" five or six guys' full-series purchases, and the core market buying them in the US is the guys who used to buy raws at the same prices so they're not too picky about the MSRP.

Articalys

I guess I'm not like the rest of you in any way -- not only do I have no problem swiftly dropping any shows I don't like, but I can't write eloquent reviews either.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hidamari Sketch x SP - 02

XLjaA.png
8uq1Y.png

bL9VV.png
U7XZZ.png

Landlady is awesome!

Trying my best not to
build a LandladyxSae ship, Natsume already has enough competition as it is.
:(

The sushi roulette skit was hilarious, as well as the "Milk Cow" Yoshinoya sensei scene.

Onward to Honeycomb!

Mandoric

Banned
The sushi roulette skit was hilarious

I think that's the real charm of Hidamari, at least for me. Most shows the US fandom calls "SoL" are either entirely taken up by nostalgia, or bend reality pretty hard in pursuit of a joke/moe payoff. Hidamari strikes a great middle ground of the characters doing things that are amusing, but that I've done too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
While thats true, anime has devolved into a decided unclassy medium. Like I said there are select few shows that will always be works of art and director visions, but most of it, the vast majority, is pretty insipid stuff when it comes down to it.

I'd argue that Sturgeon's Law (not that I strictly believe in it or anything) applies to all mediums, not just anime. Marketability usually takes precedence over quality regardless of what entertainment medium you're examining.

I don't think that anyone is bringing the true nature of "hatewatching" into question, only the issue of whether or not too much of it is bad for the thread or bad for the community's image.

Funnily enough I'm like this with videogames, but not so much anime. I don't know why either.

Ah Im terrible with games, Ill play them all for an hour then shelve them for months never to return to them again, and then I still buy more on day one. I guess I just dont have the completionist spirit.

Though I dont think Ive seen anyone play a game they hated to completion.

cajunator

Banned
I guess I'm not like the rest of you in any way -- not only do I have no problem swiftly dropping any shows I don't like, but I can't write eloquent reviews either.

I feel the same way. AlthougH I dont "drop" series so much as put them on indefinite hiatus. maybe its the same thing.
I also cannot write eloquent impressions to save my life. As you've seen I prefer to be pretty blunt about what I do or dont like and keep it short and simple.

cajunator

Banned
Ah Im terrible with games, Ill play them all for an hour then shelve them for months never to return to them again, and then I still buy more on day one. I guess I just dont have the completionist spirit.

Though I dont think Ive seen anyone play a game they hated to completion.

Yeah thats pretty much me.
I'm so wasteful :(

Metrotab

Banned
I feel the same way. AlthougH I dont "drop" series so much as put them on indefinite hiatus. maybe its the same thing.
I also cannot write eloquent impressions to save my life. As you've seen I prefer to be pretty blunt about what I do or dont like and keep it short and simple.

I'm terrible at writing impressions of any work of art. Book reviews, describing a painting, talking about a movie I just watched... I find it difficult to put my experience into words.

Geneijin

By saying this you are insinuating that AnimeGaf culture is bad or something. Whats wrong with it? It has been a lot of fun. Watching bad shows is a lot of fun too especially. Watching only good shows is actually pretty fucking boring.
Also lol at anime being classy to begin with.
cajunator, this is insulting. And coming from you, who helps propagate the current prevalent culture of animeGAF, makes this even more asinine.

Syrinx

Funny you should point this out. Last week, when I was knee-deep in School Days, I wrote myself a little... I suppose journal entry where I sort of wondered why I was watching the show. It was, I think, after I've seen three or four episodes. I think the promise of a batshit insane ending was a part of it, but that really wasn't what I was thinking about when I was watching or thinking about the show. I didn't really come to a conclusion (I think the closest I came was "maybe I'm just weird"), but I think, despite how hard it could be at times and despite some things seeming nonsensical and/or stupid and despite some of my raging at the show, a small part of me actually did enjoy watching it. I can't really explain it, but there it is.

cajunator

Banned
cajunator, this is insulting. And coming from you, who helps propagate the current prevalent culture of animeGAF, makes this even more asinine.

Animegaf was like this when I joined.
I'm not doing anything different from anyone else here other than perhaps enjoying the cute aspect of it more heavily.
The whole hatewatch/masochist thing was in place well before I got here and someone even got me to watch School Days. I appreciated that by the way.

Metrotab

Banned
A show's quality (artistic or otherwise) is not immediately related to its intertainment value. There is lots of quality, high-brow literature out there that would simply bore me to death.

Funny you should point this out. Last week, when I was knee-deep in School Days, I wrote myself a little... I suppose journal entry where I sort of wondered why I was watching the show. It was, I think, after I've seen three or four episodes. I think the promise of a batshit insane ending was a part of it, but that really wasn't what I was thinking about when I was watching or thinking about the show. I didn't really come to a conclusion (I think the closest I came was "maybe I'm just weird"), but I think, despite how hard it could be at times and despite some things seeming nonsensical and/or stupid and despite some of my raging at the show, a small part of me actually did enjoy watching it. I can't really explain it, but there it is.

That was actually a blood vessel bursting in your brain.

cajunator

Banned
A show's quality (artistic or otherwise) is not immediately related to its intertainment value. There is lots of quality, high-brow literature out there that would simply bore me to death.

Precisely.
That was kind of what I was getting at.
A lot of the "classy" stuff like Hyouka for example is simultaneously rather boring except for a handful of episodes. This has nothing to do with me not "getting it" or not appreciating the art involved, because I certainly do, but subject matter is of utmost importance. thats why I love Shaft so much. they can always be counted on to make fun shows, even if they are bargain bin cheap with production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom