• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
By saying this you are insinuating that AnimeGaf culture is bad or something. Whats wrong with it? It has been a lot of fun. Watching bad shows is a lot of fun too especially. Watching only good shows is actually pretty fucking boring.
Also lol at anime being classy to begin with.
Well, it's not great.

Just ask the outsiders/new members who don't post here anymore.

I don't even know their names, so I'm hoping they exist so I can say bad things about animeGAF.

Jex

miyakoclaps3wzas.gif

I heard Honeycomb has some subtle yuri hints.

Yurisketch is subtle now?

cajunator

Banned
Well, it's not great.

Just ask the outsiders/new members who don't post here anymore.

I don't even know their names, so I'm hoping they exist so I can say bad things about animeGAF.

Not everybody is going to like every community.
what about the many posters that do post here regularly? I only post about 1000 posts per thread. somebody is posting the other 19,000.

Tomat

Not everybody is going to like every community.
what about the many posters that do post here regularly? I only post about 1000 posts per thread. somebody is posting the other 19,000.

The insular circlejerk has been slowly established over time, it exists!

cajunator

Banned
The insular circlejerk has been slowly established over time, it exists!

I'm not disagreeing that this community has a bit of insularity, but what Gaf community, or community in general is without its own quirks, customs, injokes, favored members, and preferred topics of discussion? I mean hell, thats how memes start.

Jex

I don't think that anyone is bringing the true nature of "hatewatching" into question, only the issue of whether or not too much of it is bad for the thread or bad for the community's image.
Unfortunately your community can't really sustain a good image when it's based around watching anime. Nor should anyone be overly concerned what other people think about those who watch anime - altering other peoples preconceived notions is not worth the time or effort.

Mandoric

Banned
Unfortunately your community can't really sustain a good image when it's based around watching anime. Nor should anyone be overly concerned what other people think about those who watch anime - altering other peoples preconceived notions is not worth the time or effort.

Self-loathing is vital, and we need to balance pleasure that we accept its necessity with, erm. The "loathing" part.

cajunator

Banned

Exactly.
how classy can something be when just the mere sight or mention of it can cause disgust by others not familiar with it, or "familiar" with it for that matter?
Anime will never ever have mainstream acceptance on the level we all would like it to. If I just go into another thread and try to debate something people quote my avatar, as if being an anime fan means I have no idea what I'm talking about. that's not going to change, no matter how respectable the discussion in here is or not. Nobody has ever been prevented from having a serious discussion in here about the higher artistic aspects of a show and Im not about to start. But it doesnt mean this is or ever was a classy topic. Thats not degrading anime at all. Class is just pretentious words anyway. Enjoy what the hell you want to enjoy. thats my only message to this community.

Metrotab

Banned

I agree in a practical sense, but disagree in theory. There's no reason an entire medium should be swept under the rug based on arbitrary social mores.

Tomat

I volunteer to make the AnimeGAF SRS SHIT |OT| The Fun Stops Here thread.

Mandoric

Banned
I agree in a practical sense, but disagree in theory. There's no reason an entire medium should be swept under the rug based on arbitrary social mores.

It isn't, though. Almost everyone will accept Ghibli, and while good portions will reject say Gundam they'll do so for completely different reasons. All the obsession with HURR OTAKU PRIDE does is quibble over the exact boundary lines and make people who're iffy on the whole mess decide that they're right, it -is- all the same shit, otherwise why would all the fans defend all of it?

mAcOdIn

Err, I dunno if they're arbitrary, the wheat to chaff ratio's pretty freaking high in Anime, enough so to the point where I think it almost makes sense to disregard it outright, like homeopathy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There are people out there like myself who simply hate not finishing things they have started.

I'm like that. Only show recently I stopped watching was Horizon, but I watched up to the end of the first day so I got a sense of closure.

Jex

Well we live in a practical world as opposed to a theoretical one. If you wish to sit down and try to convince someone about the validity of a particular medium then that's absolutely fine in my books, good luck to you.

By and large though, people tend to make up their minds about this kind of thing at one stage based on the available evidence and then they become fairly rooted in their ways.

This isn't really a problem unless you feel like it is, there's plenty of other people with far more open minds.

In the end most people will take a look at stuff that's fairly acceptable to everyone, such as Ghibli movies.

Mandoric

Banned
Self-loathing is for people who want to end up shooting themselves in the head.

We're too pretentious for that. Rope or nothing! (Or at least a sealed room and an oven like Sylvia Plath, that's popular these days. Sometimes it's even a group event with a sort of ersatz barbecue beforehand 'cause, hey, why waste perfectly good charcoal?)

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou 1
ouYUa.jpg

But you're already a Christmas cake, what does it matter if you're 30 or not?
It's always has to be social misfits. Can't have an anime about the cool kids.
So why does he have to live with the special needs kids because he has a cat? Shouldn't they be worried about the special needs kids?
Ok show, nothing great about it, but that's usually the case with any first episode of a show.

wonzo

Banned
Pretty much all of the circlejerking and navel-gazing in this thread's borderline unreadable white noise. It's best to leave that stuff to IRC.

Wooser 4

Is it just me or has this been getting progressively duller since the first episode?

cajunator

Banned
Well we live in a practical world as opposed to a theoretical one. If you wish to sit down and try to convince someone about the validity of a particular medium then that's absolutely fine in my books, good luck to you.

By and large though, people tend to make up their minds about this kind of thing at one stage based on the available evidence and then they become fairly rooted in their ways.

This isn't really a problem unless you feel like it is, there's plenty of other people with far more open minds.

In the end most people will take a look at stuff that's fairly acceptable to everyone, such as Ghibli movies.

Thats why I appreciate all of the people who post here. they have an open mind to the entire spectrum or else they wouldn't bother posting. The ones that are ashamed of anime have the avatar but never come in here to post. They still might lurk though so I suppose that's something.

I'm not advocating just watching garbage either. You guys know what my favorite shows are and I'm pretty sure you would agree with my top ten list. If I have done anything at all to change the dynamic of this community I hope it was to bring a greater appreciation to the sillier simpler shows, which seem like trash to some but are incredibly fun to watch and more importantly keep the industry afloat. There is room for everything here. I'm glad people recognize that.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou 1

It's always has to be social misfits. Can't have an anime about the cool kids.
So why does he have to live with the special needs kids because he has a cat? Shouldn't they be worried about the special needs kids?.

I dont know any school dorms that let people keep pets? Maybe if it were just one cat...but theres lots of cats.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My god.

You are now my idol. My backlog is huuuuuge.

Yeah, right now for example I am playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. My backlog consists of Project X Zone, Assassin's Creed Revekations, and Yakuza 3 and 4.

Jex

In addition, I don't think there's anything wrong with watching bad shows, or having lots of people watch bad shows, or recommending really bad shows to others.

People chose to watch a movie or a series for all kinds of different reasons.

Most of the time, I imagine, they're looking to be entertained by high-calibre works in genres that interest them personally. If they'd like some recommendations on that front most people in this thread are perfectly happy to oblige and between our wealth of experiences and tastes we always manage to put together a fairly substantial list of shows to watch. This has gotten to the point where you very rarely see "Just getting into Anime" threads being made in the Off-Topic anymore, when they were once fairly common.

Still, there's more to watching a work than being 'entertained'. Sometimes you looking for a memorable experience that may also be entertaining. School Days, Mad Bull 34, Garzey's Wing etc all provide memorable, unique experiences to the viewer. That they happen to be 'bad' works in the traditional sense is of little consequence when you're looking to have singular, powerful experiences.

Finally, there's the communal aspect of watching and discussing an on-going series with a group of other people. Sometimes people will watch a show they might not even like just so that they can 'keep up' with the conversation at hand, this leads to 'hatewatches' where people ask questions like "why are you still watching this if you dislike it so much?". Clearly they must be getting something out of the work or they would not continue to watch it.

Syrinx

Thats why I appreciate all of the people who post here. they have an open mind to the entire spectrum or else they wouldn't bother posting. The ones that are ashamed of anime have the avatar but never come in here to post. They still might lurk though so I suppose that's something.

I'm not advocating just watching garbage either. You guys know what my favorite shows are and I'm pretty sure you would agree with my top ten list. If I have done anything at all to change the dynamic of this community I hope it was to bring a greater appreciation to the sillier simpler shows, which seem like trash to some but are incredibly fun to watch and more importantly keep the industry afloat. There is room for everything here. I'm glad people recognize that.

I'm not sure this applies to everybody. I do have some things that are pretty much automatic deal-breakers, and I'm sure others do too.

Then again, I'm trying to keep an open mind. I've watched the first two episodes of YuruYuri over the last couple of days, and that is wayyyyyyyyy outside the spectrum of stuff I'm usually interested in.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Pretty much all of the circlejerking and navel-gazing in this thread's borderline unreadable white noise. It's best to leave that stuff to IRC.

And pointing and sneering from the sidelines at people who are engaging in a discussion that they find interesting isn't worse?

cajunator

Banned
In addition, I don't think there's anything wrong with watching bad shows, or having lots of people watch bad shows, or recommending really bad shows to others.

People chose to watch a movie or a series for all kinds of different reasons.

Most of the time, I imagine, they're looking to be entertained by high-calibre works in genres that interest them personally. If they'd like some recommendations on that front most people in this thread are perfectly happy to oblige and between our wealth of experiences and tastes we always manage to put together a fairly substantial list of shows to watch. This has gotten to the point where you very rarely see "Just getting into Anime" threads being made in the Off-Topic anymore, when they were once fairly common.

Still, there's more to watching a work than being 'entertained'. Sometimes you looking for a memorable experience that may also be entertaining. School Days, Mad Bull 34, Garzey's Wing etc all provide memorable, unique experiences to the viewer. That they happen to be 'bad' works in the traditional sense is of little consequence when you're looking to have singular, powerful experiences.

Finally, there's the communal aspect of watching and discussing an on-going series with a group of other people. Sometimes people will watch a show they might not even like just so that they can 'keep up' with the conversation at hand, this leads to 'hatewatches' where people ask questions like "why are you still watching this if you dislike it so much?". Clearly they must be getting something out of the work or they would not continue to watch it.

In SAO's case, its definitely curiosity about where it will go and how bad it will get that keeps me watching it. Especially since it did something I didnt expect it to. Kind of have a bit of respect for it for doing that. Still detest the characters though.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not sure this applies to everybody. I do have some things that are pretty much automatic deal-breakers, and I'm sure others do too.

Then again, I'm trying to keep an open mind. I've watched the first two episodes of YuruYuri over the last couple of days, and that is wayyyyyyyyy outside the spectrum of stuff I'm usually interested in.

Well then you just proved my point in a way.
Even I have some anime pet peeves that totally kill shows for me. What I mean by that is that everyone here acknowledges the good and bad sides of the hobby and do not let that cloud their judgement of the medium as a whole. anime has some very high highs and some very low lows, and I just appreciate that you guys aren't scared off from anime by the lowest lows just because they exist.

Jarmel

Banned

Sooner the show is over with, the better.

/XX/

I guess I'm not like the rest of you in any way -- not only do I have no problem swiftly dropping any shows I don't like, but I can't write eloquent reviews either.
Same here! I just enjoy interacting a little with everyone while I wait to read the information that those that really know what to say posted. I'd be fine even only 'lurking' with people like you in here.

And really, in the long run, what use is that when any one of you could do the same thing just by being quicker on the draw?
But that is not the case, and I like it like that. You also post your own impressions, as everyone else uniquely does. Is there more to ask than that? Everyone has a place...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Less navel-gazing, more just talking about animu.

No, we clearly need to talk about ourselves more.

I don't know what it says that several people are feeling compelled to express just how much they don't care about a discussion that they're not even participating in, but cool, noted, I guess.

The "image" issue concerns prospective new members, not outsiders who don't care and are never going to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom