• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Well then you just proved my point in a way.
Even I have some anime pet peeves that totally kill shows for me. What I mean by that is that everyone here acknowledges the good and bad sides of the hobby and do not let that cloud their judgement of the medium as a whole. anime has some very high highs and some very low lows, and I just appreciate that you guys aren't scared off from anime by the lowest lows just because they exist.

Well, I'm pretty new to anime, so I really haven't exposed myself to the lowest of the lows, except for School Days, which, I described in an earlier post, I believe that some small, probably insane, part of me actually enjoyed watching. Because you were right in your earlier post: if I didn't at least somewhat enjoy it, why did I keep watching?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Still, there's more to watching a work than being 'entertained'. Sometimes you looking for a memorable experience that may also be entertaining. School Days, Mad Bull 34, Garzey's Wing etc all provide memorable, unique experiences to the viewer. That they happen to be 'bad' works in the traditional sense is of little consequence when you're looking to have singular, powerful experiences.
School Days [happens to be] 'bad' work
You've betrayed me for the last time, Jex.

Metrotab

Banned
I can understand dismissing certain genres of a medium. I will always enjoy Renaissance painting museums more than post-modern painting museums. With limited time to enjoy art, you tend to prefer to spend time on the part of the spectrum you find enjoyable.

Dismissing an entire medium (and stigmatizing its enthusiasts on top of that) though, something about that peeves me. It's not even anime specific, I feel the same about remarks I heard on theatre and poetry, things considered emasculate during young teen years. It just bothers me.

wonzo

Banned
Right Stuf Licenses Princess Knight TV Anime
2 DVD sets to feature edited N. American broadcast edition of series with English, Spanish dubs

The North American licensor and retailer Right Stuf, Inc. announced on Wednesday that it has licensed the Princess Knight television anime series. The company will release the series in two DVD sets in 2013 featuring an English-language dub as well as a Spanish-language dub.

The DVDs will feature the edited and cut version broadcast on television in North America in the 1970s and 1980s. The Japanese audio for the series will not be available as it cannot be synched to the edited video. Right Stuf has noted that the DVD sets will feature the edited version "due to the availability of materials." The 52-episode series originally aired in Japan in 1967-1968.

The series revolves around a princess raised as a boy so that she can inherit her kingdom's throne. The manga pioneer Osamu Tezuka drew the original story in Kodansha's Shoujo Club magazine from 1953 to 1956. Princess Knight and Toshiko Ueda's Boku-chan (1951) are among the first shōjo manga in history.

Vertical released the original manga in a two-volume omnibus in 2011, and the company recently announced it will also release the sequel series Twin Knight.​

Seems kinda odd for a Nozomi release but I don't really know all that much about the show so maybe there's no other version out there.

And pointing and sneering from the sidelines at people who are engaging in a discussion that they find interesting isn't worse?
It's more about expressing my frustration at reading essentially the same thing irrelevant things being posted over and over again that aren't really related to the purpose of the thread than pointing and sneering at any particular poster. I'm pretty sure the whole point of the irc channel was to try and curb this kinda stuff.

I don't hate it, there are just things I don't like about it that I feel a lot of people seem to ignore.
p. much

cajunator

Banned
:envelope

I don't know what it says that several people are feeling compelled to express just how much they don't care about a discussion that they're not even participating in, but cool, noted, I guess.

The "image" issue concerns prospective new members, not outsiders who don't care and are never going to care.

New members just need to be treated with respect. The vast majority of them have been lurking and know what to expect. A certain someone recently was treated with high disrespect and as a result Im not sure if they will come back. But it certainly isnt the quality of discussion that really turns most people off of this thread, its their misconception of what anime is. Most anime fans will flock to this thread and be happy to post.

Well, I'm pretty new to anime, so I really haven't exposed myself to the lowest of the lows, except for School Days, which, I described in an earlier post, I believe that some small, probably insane, part of me actually enjoyed watching. Because you were right in your earlier post: if I didn't at least somewhat enjoy it, why did I keep watching?

Oh you definitely haven't but as you watch more and more you will stumble upon the shit scrapings eventually. I would not recommend shows that awful to you but others might.
For people just getting into it I would prefer to recommend stuff like Haibane Renmei, Kinos journey, maybe even Last Exile. Quality stuff that isnt a total pretentious bore.
There is actually a lot of good anime and we are all more than happy to hlep you discover it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb - 01

7q4ai.png
dh050.png

4fDNl.gif
h1vSf.png

EBWfM.png

Oh yeah, this season is going to be great.

cajunator

Banned
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb - 01

EBWfM.png

Oh yeah, this season is going to be great.

Let's be honest here. Was there any season of Hidamari that wasn't great?
That show is such soulfood. It just makes you happy. It can take the shittiest most awful day and somehow make it better. Doctors should recommend Hidamari sketch instead of antidepressants.

Jex

Right Stuf Licenses Princess Knight TV Anime
2 DVD sets to feature edited N. American broadcast edition of series with English, Spanish dubs

The North American licensor and retailer Right Stuf, Inc. announced on Wednesday that it has licensed the Princess Knight television anime series. The company will release the series in two DVD sets in 2013 featuring an English-language dub as well as a Spanish-language dub.

Seems kinda odd for a Nozomi release but I don't really know all that much about the show so maybe there's no other version out there.​

It's just one of the most important shoujo works of all time! I'm pretty sure I remember reading that a complete Japanese version exists.​

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
A certain someone recently was treated with high disrespect and as a result Im not sure if they will come back.

Let's be real here, he knew he was going to catch shit for that thread title because there are a lot of anti-SAO posters in here who didn't want that label on the OT.

It wasn't even a big deal, it was mostly just jabs unless there's some stupid shit going on in PMs. If Kayos wants to avoid animeGAF because of that, it's his choice.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's more about expressing my frustration at reading essentially the same thing irrelevant things being posted over and over again that aren't really related to the purpose of the thread than pointing and sneering at any particular poster. I'm pretty sure the whole point of the irc channel was to try and curb this kinda stuff.

That's fine. I suppose I'm simply a bit confused as to why today is suddenly the day that meta-discussion is frowned upon en masse when it seems to have continued without being discouraged for as long as I can recall. Are we really that repetitive?

And all this because /XX/ is still insisting on watching Aikatsu. You tore the thread apart with your reckless selfishness!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Let's be honest here. Was there any season of Hidamari that wasn't great?
That show is such soulfood. It just makes you happy. It can take the shittiest most awful day and somehow make it better. Doctors should recommend Hidamari sketch instead of antidepressants.

That word. So perfect for this show.

cajunator

Banned
That's fine. I suppose I'm simply a bit confused as to why today is suddenly the day that meta-discussion is frowned upon en masse when it seems to have continued without being discouraged for as long as I can recall. Are we really that repetitive?

And all this because /XX/ is still insisting on watching Aikatsu. You tore the thread apart with your reckless selfishness!

I distinctly remember a pre-existing "bingo board" with all the memes, phrases, and repeated ideas listed on them from previous threads. A lot of it I did not know the source of and had no involvement with. The anime threads have been repetitive for a long time. but honestly, how could they not be? Anime is a rather limited subject.

jbug617

Banned
I just started to post here some what recently and I like posting here. The people are relatively nice and always willing to answer my questions.

cajunator

Banned
I just started to post here some what recently and I like posting here. The people are relatively nice and always willing to answer my questions.

Thats really what I hope people take from this thread.
I hope newcomers feel welcomed and like their questions are being answered.
That's really the point of it.

Let's be real here, he knew he was going to catch shit for that thread title because there are a lot of anti-SAO posters in here who didn't want that label on the OT.

It wasn't even a big deal, it was mostly just jabs unless there's some stupid shit going on in PMs. If Kayos wants to avoid animeGAF because of that, it's his choice.
Isn't the fact that there are "anti-SAO posters" a problem in and of itself?

trejo

As long as we're being all introspective and stuff can I just say once again that I miss Miri and I wish he'd come back?

Jex

I'm not disagreeing that this community has a bit of insularity, but what Gaf community, or community in general is without its own quirks, customs, injokes, favored members, and preferred topics of discussion? I mean hell, thats how memes start.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a thread having it's own in-jokes or memes or whatever. They don't necessarily detract from the content of the thread simply by their existence. As is the case in so many areas everything* is fine in moderation. It's really a question of the signal-to-noise ration of the thread. If people feel that the thread it's mainly fluff, spam and content that doesn't interest them they won't read it or engage with those who post in it. If they find that, on the main, the content of the thread is useful, informative, insightful or entertaining than they may wish to participate further.

It really depends on what people are looking for. I can only speak from my own experience, but the reasons I read and post in this thread can briefly be summarised as follows (no particular order):

1) To learn more about developments within the anime industry.
2) To read impressions about new shows and on the basis of these reviews decide whether or not to devote myself to watching said shows.
3) To formulate my own opinions on a work by writing it up into a semi-coherent post.
4) To influence others to watch a work that I have enjoyed myself and which I think would be enjoyed by others if only they could be sold on its merits.
5) To read general impressions about older titles to see if they're worth my time.
6) To learn about creators within the anime industry.
7) To learn something new about a work that I've seen, or might like to see.
8) To engage in a discussion about an ongoing show.
9) To engage in discussions regarding any of the above topics.

People have to decide what they're looking for from the thread itself and see whether it meets their own specific needs. If they feel that they can make things better I'd certainly welcome to their contributions.

*This may not apply to deadly neurotoxins.
As long as we're being all introspective and stuff can I just say once again that I miss Miri and I wish he'd come back?
Don't we all?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Sure, if people are going to get super upset over a thread title because it has SAO in the thread title to where they would insult someone personally then there clearly is a problem. I'm not sure if that kind of stuff actually goes on or not.

Regardless, there is no way he couldn't have know there would be a little flak at first for the SAO themed thread title.

cajunator

Banned

not really. there are a lot of anti-Infinite Stratos posters as well as other shows. I dont like SAO very much (although I still watch it obviously) but that doesnt mean its right to bag on someone because they do. Expressing hate for the show itself is perfectly fine. Just dont make it personal.

Noirulus

Haven't posted in here for ~6 months (Just haven't been watching anime at all due to real life issues and such) but I do lurk here from time to time and the current discussion about treating members with respect reminds me of a certain case.

Miri's Spring 2012 thread.

He screwed up making the thread and you guys went overboard with the backlash in my opinion. Miri's a good guy and I was disappointed with how some people treated him.

Maedhros

You guys are pretty much /a/, but without the anonymous thing and a bit less hatefull.

Just like gaming side is pretty much a combination of /v/ and GameFaqs, with a dose of armchair business.

Jarmel

Banned
You guys are pretty much /a/, but without the anonymous thing and a bit less hatefull.

Just like gaming side is pretty much a combination of /v/ and GameFaqs, with a dose of armchair business.

I've browsed /a/ for the past month, and it really is a cesspit.

Hayate no Gotoku: I Lost my Eyes in the Gulf War 4

This episode was absolutely filled with anime/manga/game references. In fact, they even spoiled the ending to Madoka. I wonder if someone that planned on eventually watching it got pissed off about that.

Crimsons is one of the last things I expected to see in this. I didn't even think it was that popular since it's ending next chapter after only 20ish.

And of course, Nagi would make a great gaffer.

Fumi was great as always. Still wish she would get a bigger role.

Steroyd

Hayate Why Can't I Take My Eyes Of You - 04

qI0f9.gif

/Gaf

&

/Episode

Yeah this episode was basically about otakudom in a very boring manner.

Jex

Coincidentally, didn't Miri leave shortly after handling one of the seasonal threads and getting flak for it?

I, personally, don't see what's so important about a thread title or the content of the OP, considering that I never look at them at all.

cajunator

Banned
There is nothing inherently wrong with a thread having it's own in-jokes or memes or whatever. They don't necessarily detract from the content of the thread simply by their existence. As is the case in so many areas everything* is fine in moderation. It's really a question of the signal-to-noise ration of the thread. If people feel that the thread it's mainly fluff, spam and content that doesn't interest them they won't read it or engage with those who post in it. If they find that, on the main, the content of the thread is useful, informative, insightful or entertaining than they may wish to participate further.

It really depends on what people are looking for. I can only speak from my own experience, but the reasons I read and post in this thread can briefly be summarised as follows (no particular order):

1) To learn more about developments within the anime industry.
2) To read impressions about new shows and on the basis of these reviews decide whether or not to devote myself to watching said shows.
3) To formulate my own opinions on a work by writing it up into a semi-coherent post.
4) To influence others to watch a work that I have enjoyed myself and which I think would be enjoyed by others if only they could be sold on its merits.
5) To read general impressions about older titles to see if they're worth my time.
6) To learn about creators within the anime industry.
7) To learn something new about a work that I've seen, or might like to see.
8) To engage in a discussion about an ongoing show.
9) To engage in discussions regarding any of the above topics.

People have to decide what they're looking for from the thread itself and see whether it meets their own specific needs. If they feel that they can make things better I'd certainly welcome to their contributions.

*This may not apply to deadly neurotoxins.

Don't we all?

While I sort of agree with you (being one of those fluff spammers obviously), this kind of thing does tend to occur throughout Gaf and in every community. People are not always content to just discuss anime shows at length. the little injokes and small chat add a bit of flavor to any thread and break up the monotony of nothing but huge interpretative posts.
However, the main issue seems to be that such posts get buried, and I agree that does happen.
However, perhaps a moderator could take informative posts with news and announcements and post that stuff in the OP somehow? Its good information but no matter whats being discussed it will inevitably be buried under hundreds of posts. That would happen even if I wasnt here.
If the issue is about digging through pages to find this stuff, then making this information easy to access should be the priority.

Risette

A Good Citizen
By saying this you are insinuating that AnimeGaf culture is bad or something. Whats wrong with it? It has been a lot of fun. Watching bad shows is a lot of fun too especially. Watching only good shows is actually pretty fucking boring.
Also lol at anime being classy to begin with.
This post is repulsive.

Jex

Hayate no Gotoku: I Lost my Eyes in the Gulf War 4

This episode was absolutely filled with anime/manga/game references. In fact, they even spoiled the ending to Madoka. I wonder if someone that planned on eventually watching it got pissed off about that.
That feels a little early to treat it like a piece of common culture that you can freely spoil such as Star Wars.

Geneijin

Haven't posted in here for ~6 months (Just haven't been watching anime at all due to real life issues and such) but I do lurk here from time to time and the current discussion about treating members with respect reminds me of a certain case.

He screwed up making the thread and you guys went overboard with the backlash in my opinion. Miri's a good guy and I was disappointed with how some people treated him.
Uh, what? You're gonna have to elaborate on that. If he left for any reasons, it wasn't because of the thread.

This is basically why some people don't post here ever.

Steroyd

That feels a little early to treat it like a piece of common culture that you can freely spoil such as Star Wars.

Heh, it's funny because the Gintama x Sket Dance special spoiled a big plot development in Sket Dance, where it was only revealed via manga at the time the episode aired.

Metrotab

Banned
I like /a/. As with everything 4chan, probably not for everyone. But I genuinely enjoy lurking and posting there as I do here. I have to avoid it a bit now because of the potential of getting Little Busters spoiled. Which would be nothing less than tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom