• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

Uh, what? You're gonna have to elaborate on that. If he left for any reasons, it wasn't because of the thread.

I never stated that he left because of that thread. Wasn't even aware that he doesn't post on Anime-GAF anymore. I'm only saying that it wasn't right to hurt him so much for merely screwing up a thread.

OceanBlue

You guys are pretty much /a/, but without the anonymous thing and a bit less hatefull.

Just like gaming side is pretty much a combination of /v/ and GameFaqs, with a dose of armchair business.

Not until we call everyone faggots, inform them how awful their taste in anime is, and go out of our way to ruin their anime-watching experience.

trejo

I never stated that he left because of that thread. Wasn't even aware that he doesn't post on Anime-GAF anymore. I'm only saying that it wasn't right to hurt him so much for merely screwing up a thread.

You're making it seem as if people were being actually mean spirited towards him instead of the usual friendly jabbing that goes on. Was that really the case? I can't recall that far back.

wonzo

Banned
It's just one of the most important shoujo works of all time! I'm pretty sure I remember reading that a complete Japanese version exists.
Amazon.jp have a 10 disc Princess Knight DVD set here: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%AA%E3...1116536&sr=1-3

I guess they don't want to go through the hassle and expense of acquiring and translating that version.
Yeah, that's probably the case. Seems kinda odd though given the overall quality of their past releases.

As someone who lives to #sufferwatch, aren't you part of the "problem"?
The difference is I don't really navel-gaze about that stuff outside of episode impressions.

That's fine. I suppose I'm simply a bit confused as to why today is suddenly the day that meta-discussion is frowned upon en masse when it seems to have continued without being discouraged for as long as I can recall. Are we really that repetitive?
It's been that way for as long as I remember. Hell, even I'm guilty of it at times.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yeah, I used to write lengthy involved reviews that took actual time out of my day, until I realized they would probably all just end up on the bottom of a page in a thread that would be gone in a month, thus ensuring that absolutely no one would ever read them.

Did you stop because of the time it took ,or because you didn't think anyone was going to read them?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, I used to write lengthy involved reviews that took actual time out of my day, until I realized they would probably all just end up on the bottom of a page in a thread that would be gone in a month, thus ensuring that absolutely no one would ever read them.

Do you have any of your reviews that you particularly liked? I'd be happy to read them. :)

Though don't expect me to go at length with responses because I suck at that. D:

Noirulus

You're making it seem as if people were being actually mean spirited towards him instead of the usual friendly jabbing that goes on. Was that really the case? I can't recall that far back.

I was on the IRC and some users (2, maybe 3 at most, though) sounded legitimately pissed about him having thread rights and screwing up the thread.

Since then I wasn't sure how friendly the jabbing was, so my view on the matter may be skewed.

Geneijin

Yeah, no one was giving him flak for screwing up the thread. And if they were, it was lighthearted jokes. Like I said, if there were reasons Miri left, it was because of something else. Not sure what was the exact catalyst though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can assure you I read every review that everyone in here writes, barring spoiler-heavy material. I only skip through the spam and shitty waifu memes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Not until we call everyone faggots, inform them how awful their taste in anime is, and go out of our way to ruin their anime-watching experience.

Don't forget to launch vendettas against people who legally watch anime, instead of pirating it all.

Emitan

I read every review for shows I'm watching and read some of the reviews for shows I'm interested in. I try not to ignore any post relevant to me.

Noirulus

Yeah, no one was giving him flak for screwing up the thread. And if they were, it was lighthearted jokes. Like I said, if there were reasons Miri left, it was because of something else. Not sure what was the exact catalyst though.

I hope that's the case. My opinion might be biased because of some of the comments that I read on the IRC, so that should be taken into consideration regarding this matter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ginga E Kickoff 24

The whole episode about
blind soccer was good. It showed how Shou is a great leader (even he has the most annoying voice ever).
Looks like we get our 2 new players in the next episode.
What? What are you saying about Kobayashi?!

Reverse importing, authoring is a right pain in the ass compared to DVD so the more ramshackle portions of the US industry don't want to bother, etc.

It costs around $1000-$1500 in licencing fees per BD disc, which for most home video releases is less than the lawyer would get paid to read the licence agreement, but for anime in the US is around 5% of projected GROSS due to low sales/bargain-basement prices. For shows that aren't dubbed, it's literally higher than all other production costs combined.

That's why the engsubs-on-Japanese-disc model works so well. Reverse importation isn't a problem when Aniplex or BV is getting $50 a disc either way, the BD fees are already rolled into the already-profitable Japanese release where they "cost" five or six guys' full-series purchases, and the core market buying them in the US is the guys who used to buy raws at the same prices so they're not too picky about the MSRP.
Yeah, I really think that's the inevitable future. As long as the industry is able to support itself with just Japanese nerd sales, it makes sense to gouge everyone around the world equally.

And since I bought Madoka and preordered the Bakemono set, I guess I'm part of the problem. lol

This reminds me that there isnt nearly enough anime about american football.

In due time, this will probably become a reality:

YLkUY.jpg

Yeah, I really think that's the inevitable future. As long as the industry is able to support itself with just Japanese nerd sales, it makes sense to gouge everyone around the world equally.

Purchasing physical media is becoming less and less common as digital distribution grows; more and more, it's something for only hardcore collectors while the ordinary fellow uses streaming video sites, Netflix, Redbox, and the like. Anime is just ahead of the curve compared to movies and TV generally due to its niche status.

sonicmj1

I like reading people's impressions, and I like writing my own, but I also sort of recognize that focusing this much on criticism is the tip of the iceberg for some incredibly pretentious and meaningless navel-gazing. Sometimes criticism seems like a potentially infinite abyss that can swallow you, especially when (in the case of arguments) we wind up critiquing each others' critiques. It's like we're building a giant edifice on nothing.

I don't think it's necessarily bad in moderation. Critiquing shows can be fun, and I think it's helped me enjoy some stuff more than I otherwise would have. But it can feel really pointless sometimes.

Maybe I'd feel better if I felt more productive in the other things I do.

Who is the head of household and when is the test of strength?
As creator of the thread, that title would presumably belong to kayos. The test of strength is the closing ritual of a proper Festivus celebration, and as it is the head of household's responsibility to issue the challenge, only kayos' return can bring this Festivus to an end.
I'm probably in the bottom brackets of animeGAF's intellectual tier-list, and even I read a number of the lengthy reviews about shows that I will probably never watch. It seems highly unlikely that such posts don't receive a fair shake by a lot of the posters, even if replies are sparse.

Of course, if you're not satisfied with it, then it's silly to waste time and effort on it.

trejo

I like reading people's impressions, and I like writing my own, but I also sort of recognize that focusing this much on criticism is the tip of the iceberg for some incredibly pretentious and meaningless navel-gazing. Sometimes criticism seems like a potentially infinite abyss that can swallow you, especially when (in the case of arguments) we wind up critiquing each others' critiques. It's like we're building a giant edifice on nothing.

I don't think it's necessarily bad in moderation. Critiquing shows can be fun, and I think it's helped me enjoy some stuff more than I otherwise would have. But it can feel really pointless sometimes.

Maybe I'd feel better if I felt more productive in the other things I do.

I appreciate the lengthy impressions as well as the time and effort they must take. Even if I don't always read all of them they're still nice to have around.

I also feel under no obligation whatsoever to follow suit and step up with my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom