• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
College/Uni life has caused me to have a huge backlog this Fall.

So far I have watched:

Chuunibyou eps 1-3

Tonari ep 1

Shin Seki ep 1

....like them so plan to watch them.

I haven't had the time to check out:

-Magi

-Zetseun Tempest

-Psycho-Pass

How have they held up so far? Are there any other shows that should be on my radar?

Starting next week I will have more time to dedicate to anime and GAF!

I've heard good things about PP and Tempest. I haven't been hearing very good things about Magi. Though it seems most of the complaints are coming from people that have read the manga already. This is all secondary info though, as I haven't seen any of those three either.

Taruranto

WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER

NQ7p0.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho-Pass 3:

Probably the worst episode of the bunch but holy shit the Dominator is ridiculous. God damn. Shinya is already an awesome character.

Go_Ly_Dow

Okay, will check out Zetsuen and Psycho-Pass since both seem to have great reception.

I have seen some mixed views on Magi so will wait on 1-2 more eps to see how that unfolds. Can recall Duckroll saying it was a bad adaptation.

How about K? Can I trust DTL-sama with this?

Okay, will check out Zetsuen and Psycho-Pass since both seem to have great reception.

I have seen some mixed views on Magi so will wait on 1-2 more eps to see how that unfolds. Can recall Duckroll saying it was a bad adaptation.

K is as good as Blast of Tempest for best of the season, I assure you.

Jex

Durarararararararara 1-24

Atrocious. Tomino-tier pacing/editing/episode structure. Really, really bad. I can't believe the director behind Baccano also did this, considering Baccano is like a polar opposite in that department, expertly weaving all the characters and coincidental situations and key situations together for one satisfying series. Durarara is a total fucking mess that tries to do that and missed the mark so much that I don't even know.

I don't disagree with you and this isn't a judgement on you but why did you bother watching the whole show if you disliked it?

I like K, but no one else here other than DTL does. It has some neat ideas and abilities, but its plot is kind of screwy, and there is a pretty bad filter plaguing the whole show, which is a damn shame since it has a really creative world design and animation.

Narag

Princess Nine 13

wqShll.png

Even wonzo faces were better in the 90s.

:lol
Dem feminine wiles. It sort of undermines the main theme so far but I guess they were desperate for the win.
Hopefully this was just a comedic interlude as the show abusing this would sadly diminish it. Change of tone to close the ep out seemed like a nice return to form though.

Jex

Regarding the Yuasa Kickstarter, I feel that the way they dropped in new tiers, upgraded tiers, revealed stretch goals and modified stretch goals has been incredibly haphazard. I understand that they're new to this whole concept but they don't even seem to have observed how other, successful Kickstarters have operated. They didn't even appear to do the planning or surveying that, say, the Idle Thumbs Kickstarter did and those guys just wanted to do a podcast.

Geneijin

I like K, but no one else here other than DTL does. It has some neat ideas and abilities, but its plot is kind of screwy, and there is a pretty bad filter plaguing the whole show, which is a damn shame since it has a really creative world design and animation.
cosmic, I thought we were nakamas.

Regarding the Yuasa Kickstarter, I feel that the way they dropped in new tiers, upgraded tiers, revealed stretch goals and modified stretch goals has been incredibly haphazard. I understand that they're new to this whole concept but they don't even seem to have observed how other, successful Kickstarters have operated. They didn't even appear to do the planning or surveying that, say, the Idle Thumbs Kickstarter did and those guys just wanted to do a podcast.

It certainly hasn't been the smoothest Kickstarter ever, but I appreciate that they've been proactive in revising it and they have met their goal - which is what really matters, isn't it?

Jex

It certainly hasn't been the smoothest Kickstarter ever, but I appreciate that they've been proactive in revising it and they have met their goal - which is what really matters, isn't it?

Absolutely and I'm certainly glad that they've got funded, even if their goal was modest. Then again, more people have probably backed this Kickstarter than have ever bought DVD's/BD's of his works.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't disagree with you and this isn't a judgement on you but why did you bother watching the whole show if you disliked it?
I had some naive hope that they would pull something together by the end and make it passable. Certainly after a while before the end I realized it wasn't going to be great or anything but they could always make an effort to try to tie things together.

Unfortunately, they did not. I got cheated.

duckroll

Blast of DTL-Tempest - Episode 4

This was a really good episode. In terms of direction and script, I'll say this is probably the strongest episode so far. A pure character development episode focused on Yoshino and Mahiro, exploring their relationship and history together, and showing the contrast and similarities between their own perspectives of the relationship, as they relate it to Hakaze. Ando's storyboarding is really strong, and here he flexes his character drama skills instead of action. It reminds me a lot of the better episodes of Hanasaku Iroha, except with a somewhat more retrospective tone. The episode really captures the feeling of two friends who are now older, thinking back to their younger days in a nostalgic way.

The music is also a strong factor this week, with the more bombastic action themes being exchanged for softer and more melancholic tunes which set the mood really well. One piece I especially liked was an instrumental arrangement of the lullaby from the end of episode 3. The production values are a little lower this week compared to the high octane opening episodes, and surprisingly the episode was co-produced by Gonzo. No complaints though, because it was really well executed.

Articalys

The power of $20 double feature tickets.
The U.S screening of the first two Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime films earned US$62,340 on five screens during the weekend of October 19-21, giving the films a per-screen average of US$12,468. During that weekend, the films ranked second on Box Office Mojo's chart for per-screen average, ranking only below The Sessions, which had a per-screen average of US$28,367. The films ranked at #41 overall during the weekend.
It's good news for Aniplex at least, right?

Taruranto

Blast of DTL-Tempest - Episode 4

This was a really good episode. In terms of direction and script, I'll say this is probably the strongest episode so far. A pure character development episode focused on Yoshino and Mahiro, exploring their relationship and history together, and showing the contrast and similarities between their own perspectives of the relationship, as they relate it to Hakaze. Ando's storyboarding is really strong, and here he flexes his character drama skills instead of action. It reminds me a lot of the better episodes of Hanasaku Iroha, except with a somewhat more retrospective tone. The episode really captures the feeling of two friends who are now older, thinking back to their younger days in a nostalgic way.

The music is also a strong factor this week, with the more bombastic action themes being exchanged for softer and more melancholic tunes which set the mood really well. One piece I especially liked was an instrumental arrangement of the lullaby from the end of episode 3. The production values are a little lower this week compared to the high octane opening episodes, and surprisingly the episode was co-produced by Gonzo. No complaints though, because it was really well executed.

The mangaka may not know her audience, but Bones surely does.
dat ass

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Zetsuen 04

I'm still surprised that I even like this show despite the obvious fujoshi pandering that I can no longer deny exists in the show. Everything about the images I saw before the first episode screamed "You're not going to like it," but it's a pretty damn cool show.

I kind of forgot why exactly they went to the country side, and what exactly they're trying to do right now (Find Samon? I dunno). Also seems like the island princess is already falling for Yoshino.

/XX/

Thanks for posting those blog posts. Interesting stuff.
You're welcome, full member Metrotab!

All true, but on the other hand I wanted to say that the person(s) that handle(s) their twitter account (and I suppose the public relations in general with the English speaking fans in other places as well) has been fantastic! A pleasure to talk with, very nice and diligent (and fun to read too) as a whole.

duckroll

Zetsuen 04

I'm still surprised that I even like this show despite the obvious fujoshi pandering that I can no longer deny exists in the show. Everything about the images I saw before the first episode screamed "You're not going to like it," but it's a pretty damn cool show.

I kind of forgot why exactly they went to the country side, and what exactly they're trying to do right now (Find Samon? I dunno). Also seems like the island princess is already falling for Yoshino.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize that at least with what the anime is doing with the story and characters, this feels very much like a more Japanese rendition of Supernatural. I'm sure there are fangirls shipping the two characters, but the show seems to be treating their relationship in a pretty serious way. It's one of the more natural male-male pretty boy friendships in anime in recent memory, and I think that's what makes it more enjoyable instead of feeling like some forced fake-homosexual thing.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize that at least with what the anime is doing with the story and characters, this feels very much like a more Japanese rendition of Supernatural. I'm sure there are fangirls shipping the two characters, but the show seems to be treating their relationship in a pretty serious way. It's one of the more natural male-male pretty boy friendships in anime in recent memory, and I think that's what makes it more enjoyable instead of feeling like some forced fake-homosexual thing.

Agreed. I think the pandering exists (today's butt shot, and even then it's just kind of whatever, not a big deal), but it's not so in your face. It doesn't really bother me at all because the Yoshino and Mahiro are good characters and there's actual stuff going on in the story so it's not just about them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom