• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Pretty much every fangirl i spoke with actually complained about how much Mahiro and Yoshiro are straight and "unshippable " and how much the show art is misleading. Considering the subject (2 pretty boys being buddy-buddy with each other and going on adventures), it is actually pretty incredible.

Wiseblade

So yeah, I was bored and decided to watch Sword Art Online, going in completely blind other than seeing the name a bunch and hearing that it was pretty popular.

And at first I loved it! A deconstruction of ever present MMO tropes with some "people die when they are killed" shenanigans to raise the stakes was a great premise, and I really enjoyed the first few episodes. It was a perfect whirlwind of enjoyable action scenes, nerdy in-jokes and perfect fodder for some "what if this happened for real?" navel-gazing.

Even when Asuna came back in the show and the relationship drama kicked into high gear, I was still really into it. It's only after they got 'married' that things started to turn sour. Something about those episodes sucked all the good feels out of the show and just left some melodramatic mess. The Game Clear out of nowhere didn't help either, leaving a bunch of in-game plot points hanging.

And this post-game arc sucks. A second game? A RESCUE ARC?! ugh...

I'll keep watching though, like the fool that I am.

Dresden

Pretty much every fangirl i spoke with actually complained about how much Mahiro and Yoshiro are straight and "unshippable " and how much the show art is misleading. Considering the subject (2 pretty boys being buddy-buddy with each other and going on adventures) is actually pretty incredible.

fangirl fail

Two young men on screen = shippable no matter what. Tell them to turn their fujoshi cred in.

e: DtL showing those silly girls what's up.

Pretty much every fangirl i spoke with actually complained about how much Mahiro and Yoshiro are straight and "unshippable " and how much the show art is misleading. Considering the subject (2 pretty boys being buddy-buddy with each other and going on adventures) is actually pretty incredible.

tumblr_mcdw1x5M331rsvcg2o1_500.png

Zetsuen no Tempest 04

What end of the world?

Good episode. Really developed the two characters personalities and their friendship as well. This would also probably be useful in future arcs due to some of their actions as the characters are more developed so we can understand why they did that instead of coming out of left field. That manservice helped as well, maybe.

Jex

All true, but on the other hand I wanted to say that the person(s) that handle(s) their twitter account (and I suppose the public relations in general with the English speaking fans in other places as well) has been fantastic! A pleasure to talk with, very nice and diligent (and fun to read too) as a whole.

Yeah they were very open, very quick to respond and very quirk to alter their Kickstarter as required. From that end, at least, they did a great job.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

These tears, so delicious.

Kazzy

Chuunibuyo - 04

All you had to do was watch the OP with one eye open, and it was kinda sort of bearable to probably watch.

Well the intent was always there, conceptually it made perfect sense. It was certainly bearable, and lets be honest, the initial impressions were a little heavy on the hyperbole (myself included).

Jex

Accel World - 01

And you guys call SAO a wish fulfillment show? You people and your double standards.

Will continue to watch, though :p

If you'd carefully read the content of any of the posts about Accel World you'd see that there aren't actually any double standards. Aceel World just happens to have better fight scenes than Sword Art Online.

If you'd carefully read the content of any of the posts about Accel World you'd see that there aren't actually any double standards. Aceel World just happens to have better fight scenes than Sword Art Online.

The fight scenes, megane Taku,
Incarnation System
, and all three OST's made Accel World much better than Sword Art Online.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

I think a large part of why people are okay with AW is because it doesn't take itself as seriously as SAO.

duckroll

Personally the only reason I survived Accel World is because I skipped entire episodes, and I would just skip through any scene which takes place in the real world. That made it kinda okay.

Jex

[Kinatama] - 256

Something about this arc was just a little...off. It wasn't just the pacing, although there were issues with that, but there was something else that kept me emotionally distant from what was going on. It never really worked for me.

Personally the only reason I survived Accel World is because I skipped entire episodes, and I would just skip through any scene which takes place in the real world. That made it kinda okay.

This is just like skipping to the ending to School Days. Have you no shame, sir?!

Dresden

Accel World = more enjoyable by skipping

School Days = only worth it for the ending

skipping = winners

not skipping = chumps

Sorry, impeccable logic.

Noirulus

I skipped a lot of the serious arcs when watching Gintama. I watch the show for comedy and don't really enjoy the battle arcs much.

Never skip stuff ever. EVER.

Intended viewing experience!

Yeah same, though Ive started to skip previews and stuff for anime, since they seem to be becoming more and more spoilery on plot points.

Would never skip a whole episode or skip through an episode, though I will say, I have dozed off during episodes when they were just really not good.

Emitan

Yeah same, though Ive started to skip previews and stuff for anime, since they seem to be becoming more and more spoilery on plot points.

Would never skip a whole episode or skip through an episode, though I will say, I have dozed off during episodes when they were just really not good.

I skip previews. Usually because I'm marathoning.

Kazzy

Well, not all filler arcs are inherently bad. If I ever did start watching One Piece from the beginning again then I'd probably end up skipping the woeful Apis Arc though.

Hm, being bound by canon inevitably undercuts any sort of tension for me. The Bleach bount-arc will always be the shining example for me, which was nothing but a ridiculously staggered series of fights that led nowhere.

Hilarious conclusion too, it's like they couldn't be bothered or something...

If something is so painfully bad that I can't get through it. I just drop the show right then and there. Much easier than trying to find the supposed good parts.

Hm, being bound by canon inevitably undercuts any sort of tension for me. The Bleach bount-arc will always be the shining example for me, which was nothing but a ridiculously staggered series of fights that led nowhere.

Hilarious conclusion too, it's like they couldn't be bothered or something...

That is the only flawed arc of the Bleach anime. If they had made it shorter or come at a different time, and didnt have the annoying Ririn. It had interesting names and such though and saying Zeige Dich was kind of addicting, and some Uryu development.

Kazzy

That is the only flawed arc of the Bleach anime. If they had made it shorter or come at a different time, and didnt have the annoying Ririn. It had interesting names and such though and saying Zeige Dich was kind of addicting, and some Uryu development.

If anyone wanted to watch any of that arc, I would literally only recommend the Zaraki encounters. Most of the plot made little sense, the characters acted irrationally, not to mention that they were inexplicably weakened to suit the needs of the story. Those last points in particular became a prevailing theme after that point, and one of the reasons I eventually grew weary of the franchise.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My Little Monster 04

This show is so amazing. Just amazing. Legitimately the most enjoyable romcom I've ever watched at this point. Everything about this show is perfection. Now I'm gonna smash some god damn watermelons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom