• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 104
jojW1l.jpg
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same...

So not even the Kaiser likes Oberstein, huh? Even so, I can't deny Oberstein is probably the person most fit to succeed the Kaiser, cold personality aside. The dude knows how to most efficiently and most justly handle military matters. I like to fathom the idea that maybe, if things weren't so sour between them, Reinhard could prepare both Oberstein and Mittermeyer handle the military and political sides of the Empire after he dies. A situation that, sadly, doesn't look that imaginary at this point.

lol @ Wahlen just sitting on his thank waiting for both sides of the conflict to cool down. Dude is boss.

Julian reluctantly accepts Oberstein's demand to meet them in order to rescue the political prisoners. Interestingly, he questions himself whether military instead of political action might be historically better in terms of bloodshed despite the its lack of battle dignity. Isn't it a bit late to be pondering these issues? I always thought Yang was shaping Julian to be a pacifist, so this is something he surely should have concluded way before he started axing people as a Rosen Ritter or commanding the fleets of Iserlohn.

cajunator

Banned
Alright, I'm watching. Sleep is for the weak.
I'm scared

Its worth skipping sleep for.
Ive already rewatched the series half a dozen times.
Then I went and bought the figurines and a big kyubey figure.
Such is the impact that show had on me.
Enjoyed it so much.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Man, even though I viewed the ending to Madoka as somewhat flawed, I still can't believe how ambitious it was. That ending has balls, and it provides a level of satisfaction and closure that didn't leave me wanting.

Being able to watch the BD revised series over the course of a couple of nights proved to me that Madoka is more than a marketing gimmick. It's a legitimately good series with too many haters (or maybe some of those haters are just really vocal). I think it deserves the success that it's gained.

Syrinx

YuruYuri 8

Stupid April Fools Day.

Fuck you, Chitose. "I lied when I said I was going to lie lolololol." This is just like that jackass in the third grade who told you that it was Opposite Day and had you do all these stupid things and then at the end of the day told you "LOL THE OPPOSITE OF OPPOSITE DAY MEANS IT'S NOT REALLY OPPOSITE DAY LOLOLOLOL!" Fuck you, you cunt.

Is Chizuru Chitose's twin sister or little sister? They didn't seem to make up their fucking minds on that one.

Also, I talked about Chitose being disturbed, but goddamn, Chizuru. Fantasizing about your fucking sister? That ain't right.

Probably the weakest episode so far.

mAcOdIn

Let me say this in the meantime, though: Only one of the shows concerned here follows an actual plot structure, with actual conflict and resolution. In the land of Twelve Kingdoms, the gods sort everything out, so there's really no need to worry about anything you see onscreen. Oh what's that? You wanted to know why the second arc happened in the first place? Too bad! That's not for the viewer to know!
Oh hell no, I can't let this stand. the Gods sort out nothing in Twelve Kingdoms. Name a single instance of divine intervention besides choosing the King or Queen, which frankly, how it was described in the story, doesn't sound too divine at all and more like some kind of weird evolutionary skill mixed with a bit of mystical religion.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh hell no, I can't let this stand. the Gods sort out nothing in Twelve Kingdoms. Name a single instance of divine intervention besides choosing the King or Queen, which frankly, how it was described in the story, doesn't sound too divine at all and more like some kind of weird evolutionary skill mixed with a bit of mystical religion.
They just work slow, which allows for SOME story to exist, but it plays out in similar terms.

Let me say this in the meantime, though: Only one of the shows concerned here follows an actual plot structure, with actual conflict and resolution. In the land of Twelve Kingdoms, the gods sort everything out, so there's really no need to worry about anything you see onscreen. Oh what's that? You wanted to know why the second arc happened in the first place? Too bad! That's not for the viewer to know!

i Strongly disagree with this

The 12 kingdoms anime stopped and didn't adapt plenty of things ... that's the only reason why you can says that about the second arc of 12 kingdoms ..this particular sub plot continues in the books ... it's just that they didn't adapt those events in anime...

There are plenty of things that instead get resolved .. when yoko goes to do something ..she says that she does thing out of her own will ..even if some people interpret that as the will of the heavens .. Meaning that everything isn't just god's work ..
That particuliar aspect is fruther expanded in the 3rd part of the black kirin arc [novel only]..when some characters actually ask this question to
one of the Gods

Back to the anime.
12 kingdoms anime alone doesn't answer every question by " this was god will " but instead show many characters ( yoko , suzu , shuryu ) actually do what they believe is right .. without answering everything by some god guidance..
Furthermore , many characters ( rakushun in particular ) believe that their own work will earn them something ..

There are twelve divisons of land, all to be ruled by GOOD king who then brings prosperity to the people in that land. No kingdoms invade each other because that would be BAD. Some kings do become BAD though, and procede to slaughter their own people. When this happens, the Gods make the BAD king die and get replaced with a GOOD king chosen by a spirit guide. This spirit guide is NEVER WRONG, even when he thinks he is.

Don't ask why a spirit guide gets banished to Earth. It's not important.

I know kemonomimi offends you and all, but it's got nothing on this tripe.

Ps: the spirits guides can be "wrong" ... several have been killed by ther own populace after choosing a king that became evil..most of the guides dies with their rulers , unless the rules offer repentance ( what happenned to keiki )

YuruYuri 8

Stupid April Fools Day.

Fuck you, Chitose. "I lied when I said I was going to lie lolololol." This is just like that jackass in the third grade who told you that it was Opposite Day and had you do all these stupid things and then at the end of the day told you "LOL THE OPPOSITE OF OPPOSITE DAY MEANS IT'S NOT REALLY OPPOSITE DAY LOLOLOLOL!" Fuck you, you cunt.

Is Chizuru Chitose's twin sister or little sister? They didn't seem to make up their fucking minds on that one.

Also, I talked about Chitose being disturbed, but goddamn, Chizuru. Fantasizing about your fucking sister? That ain't right.

Probably the weakest episode so far.

Chitose was awesome the entire episode! Twins typically don't come out at the same time, so the first one out is older.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
i Strongly disagree with this

The 12 kingdoms anime stopped and didn't adapt plenty of things ... that's the only reason why you can says that about the second arc of 12 kingdoms ..this particular sub plot continues in the books ... it's just that they didn't adapt those events in anime...

There are plenty of things that instead get resolved .. when yoko goes to do something ..she says that she does thing out of her own will ..even if some people interpret that as the will of the heavens .. Meaning that everything isn't just god's work ..
That particuliar aspect is fruther expanded in the 3rd part of the black kirin arc [novel only]..when some characters actually ask this question to
one of the Gods

Back to the anime.
12 kingdoms anime alone doesn't answer every question by " this was god will " but instead show many characters ( yoko , suzu , shuryu ) actually do what they believe is right .. without answering everything by some god guidance..
Furthermore , many characters ( rakushun in particular ) believe that their own work will earn them something ..
Then it has failed as an adaptation.

cajunator

Banned
No he probably won't kill her. Death is too easy. She will break.

Urobuchi does seem to enjoy breaking the cutie.

Man, even though I viewed the ending to Madoka as somewhat flawed, I still can't believe how ambitious it was. That ending has balls, and it provides a level of satisfaction and closure that didn't leave me wanting.

Being able to watch the BD revised series over the course of a couple of nights proved to me that Madoka is more than a marketing gimmick. It's a legitimately good series with too many haters (or maybe some of those haters are just really vocal). I think it deserves the success that it's gained.

I showed madoka magica to a friend of mine who hadn't seen it.
He wasn't interested for over a year but when we finally sat down to marathon it, he ended up enjoying it so much he said it was one of the greatest anime he's ever seen.
Mind you this guy is 33 and used to watch 80's anime with us so he has a lot to compare it to.

Then it has failed as an adaptation.

because they omited 1 arc ?

Did you magically forgot the episodes 34- 45 ?
did the decisions the characters did had no importance ? was that god will too ?

It's painfully obvious that the black kirin arc is incomplete ... that's all ... but NEVER oh never god was involved in the characters actions ( expect one guy that did all bad things he could just to see if someone could come and stop him )

heck the second arc alone was just "another way " to show how the world works .. and did that almost perfectly .. there is nothing wrong with it , aside from world building ..

Summarising everything by " this was god will" just mean you need to watch again

Syrinx

Chitose was awesome the entire episode! Twins typically don't come out at the same time, so the first one out is older.

I understand that, but Chizuru... how do I put this... seemed to be playing the role of the baby sister even though she's a twin. I would think with twins that there would be a bit more..I guess parity in their relationship. But I've never intimately known a set of twins so I wouldn't know.

mAcOdIn

They just work slow, which allows for SOME story to exist, but it plays out in similar terms.
Do they work at all?

I was always curious if this was touched upon in the books, and will never know since they didn't all end up localized here, but if you look at the way we exist right now, as societies, certain actions have certain repercussions. Certain lifestyles have repercussions. Just as say living in an unhealthy environment gives more vectors for diseases to spread I wonder if that's about all it amounted to it the Twelve Kingdoms. Honestly the only "will of the Gods" you see in Twelve Kingdoms is the choosing of the king and the repercussions on the Killian if they rule poorly. Considering the Killian's not human and is considered to be a good being by nature I wonder if it's not just some kind of emotional stress that causes them to fall ill and eventually take their life? As for choosing the King the Killian does it merely on instinct and if they choose bad Kings as well it sounds more-so like what's really happening here is that the Killian's attracted to some kind of trait or persona and interprets that as the sign. There's no burning bush telling them it's the one.

As far as any actions the Kings or Queens take it's made pretty clear that those are theirs and theirs alone, no God ever tells Yoko what to do just as no God ever tells any of the poor rulers to start executing their people or anything like that.

So how much of this heaven's stuff is merely the perception and for lack of a better word the religion of the people of that world? It's clear there's some entity with higher power somewhere as there's a way to grant people eternal life but considering but that's literally the only extent of true power you see in the anime.

I understand that, but Chizuru... how do I put this... seemed to be playing the role of the baby sister even though she's a twin. I would think with twins that there would be a bit more..I guess parity in their relationship. But I've never intimately known a set of twins so I wouldn't know.

In anime, being the older/younger sibling always comes before being a twin.

cajunator

Banned
I think one reason for the disparity between my anime preferences and some others here is because I judge an anime's worth by enjoyment rather than quality.
If a show is completely shit but has a subject I enjoyed, I will consider it good anime.
I know some shows like Glass Fleet and Garzeys wing get a free pass here but this applies to all the anime I watch.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think one reason for the disparity between my anime preferences and some others here is because I judge an anime's worth by enjoyment rather than quality.
If a show is completely shit but has a subject I enjoyed, I will consider it good anime.
I know some shows like Glass Fleet and Garzeys wing get a free pass here but this applies to all the anime I watch.
Quality is enjoyment.

Do they work at all?
I can answer that :
Yes .. but they are mostly enforcing their rules upon the world.

Like the rule were you can't attack another country..Other than that they don't do much .. They clearly told yoko that it's not their place to influence the "world" that much is left to the 12 emperors and emperess..

I was always curious if this was touched upon in the books, and will never know since they didn't all end up localized here, but if you look at the way we exist right now, as societies, certain actions have certain repercussions. Certain lifestyles have repercussions. Just as say living in an unhealthy environment gives more vectors for diseases to spread I wonder if that's about all it amounted to it the Twelve Kingdoms. Honestly the only "will of the Gods" you see in Twelve Kingdoms is the choosing of the king and the repercussions on the Killian if they rule poorly. Considering the Killian's not human and is considered to be a good being by nature I wonder if it's not just some kind of emotional stress that causes them to fall ill and eventually take their life? As for choosing the King the Killian does it merely on instinct and if they choose bad Kings as well it sounds more-so like what's really happening here is that the Killian's attracted to some kind of trait or persona and interprets that as the sign. There's no burning bush telling them it's the one.

As far as any actions the Kings or Queens take it's made pretty clear that those are theirs and theirs alone, no God ever tells Yoko what to do just as no God ever tells any of the poor rulers to start executing their people or anything like that.

So how much of this heaven's stuff is merely the perception and for lack of a better word the religion of the people of that world? It's clear there's some entity with higher power somewhere as there's a way to grant people eternal life but considering but that's literally the only extent of true power you see in the anime.

This aspect was touched by some characters in the books ..

But you're right on many aspects ... 100% right even ... the will of the heavens on a king action is what the king does , not the heaven controlling everything ..and that why kings & kirin dies and that's why people continue to follow god will even after a king did a lot of bad things .. yoko actions were hers and hers alone even when other misinterpret them as "god will" and as such can be wrong ..

kirins choose people with the potential to rule ..they are good people but can turn bad due to various reasons ( influence on them is one of the example ) .shurei dad for example wasn't a bad person from the start , even if he killed plenty of people afterwards.

Jarmel

Banned
That's a wrong viewpoint. Quality is enjoyment. You laughing at the show is something separate from the show.

If the intention of the director is to make such a bad show that I can laugh at it, that's different than if they take such a pretentious tone and fail so bad at it that I'm laughing at how horrible it is, then the later isn't quality.

cjkeats

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 10

Oh man...A few episodes ago when we learnt about Homura's "ability", I never once thought
she was groundhog day-ing it like this
All my questions about Homura are all answered, and it all makes sense now. The first episode, her cold personality, her breakdown a few episodes back, even (Spoiler image)that gif from the movie trailer.

Ending with the opening was a nice touch.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If the intention of the director is to make such a bad show that I can laugh at it, that's different than if they take such a pretentious tone and fail so bad at it that I'm laughing at how horrible it is, then the later isn't quality.
You are not enjoying the show, you are enjoying mocking it for its lack of quality. These are two separate things.

NewFresh

Nope. Plenty of shows that are garbage and while I might be enjoying them, it's usually me laughing at the show.

Poor quality is enjoyment.

Pizzaroll has a perspective on this subject that you will not agree with or convince him of, ever.

PCP ep 1 (Bakuman 3 ep 3)

A perfect adaptation of the source; throwing in the coloring moments at the planning stage, the amazing ending
final version that Shuujin envisioned for it
, and the voices for Akechi and the PCP.

Ill never understand why they didnt ever pursue these concepts, PCP would be litrally one of the best series on the market, Crow, +Natural, and Detective Trap. PCP is such a good school life, shounen, comedy I bet with a touch of mystery for all the perfect crimes, we have nothing like it.

For the whole episode, it was good and gripping, and well next episode one can only hope that they scored big.

cajunator

Banned
Enjoying a show can be achieved by mocking it for being bad.
You are still enjoying the experience the show provides whether it was the intended way or not.

Upotte!! OVA
IhjyK.jpg

I don't recommend doing this...
Lewd, but not as lewd as I thought it was going to be. Considering these are the same people who made the Ladies X Butlers! specials. Not to say there were no naked scenes. You'll just have to trust me on that.
They did pretty much get a chance to have all the characters from the show get a cameo in the episode, but I kinda wish the battle rifle girls got more screen time. Though for some reason Thompson sensei was MIA. Still it was a nice way to say farewell to the Upotte series as all you assholes that didn't support it. :T
Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
IuIOX.jpg

The End, again.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
How much I enjoy something is usually based on "quality". If I enjoy something that doesn't fit my quality standards, it's usually due to some subconscious bias I might have towards a specific element in a work.

Stoof

Psycho-Pass 3

Another awesome episode, music is still great, ED is still fantastic. Really just praise for this show and this anime season in general, so much good anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom