• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Kamina777

Banned
"If I really want to roleplay, there's always Wasteland 2"

dat ether
Wasteland 2 was a waste of time and money to me and I wanted an RPG with some competent action to go with it. (Combat is garbage and ruins any enjoyment without gaming it severely) People trying to sell that game like shills are being pretty disingenuous about how enjoyable it is for those who can't stomach the rpg lite this game offers in its quests.

I wish people who have only skimmed the manual for Farcry 3 and 4 would stop comparing that game to fallout 4. Is it the F in the beginning that makes that lazy comparison so easy? 2 different beasts in execution and shooting competency.

Corpekata

Banned
Wasteland 2 was a waste of time and money to me and I wanted an RPG with some competent action to go with it. (Combat is garbage and ruins any enjoyment without gaming it severely) People trying to sell tha hame like shills are being pretty disingenuous about how enjoyable it is for those who can't stomach the rpg lite thks game offers in its quests.

I wish people who have only skimmed the manual for Farcry 3 and 4 would stop comparing that game to this fallout 4, is it the F in the beginnong that makes that lazy comparison so easy? 2 different beasts in execution and shooting competency.

You need a translator.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My favorite part of the game so far?

Fast travel to a place to get close to the marker. The marker points out of the door in the Commonwealth. When I zone the marker points back in. Zone in, run to building, zone again.

Four loading screens.

I tried Wasteland 2 and maybe I'll try it again later but I made characters and got absolutely wrecked on one of the first encounters and I didn't think their build was all that bad but I was proven wrong. Seems like a game you have to be REALLY familiar with old school rpgs and stat distribution to do well in.

Kamina777

Banned
Why does the Brotherhood side quests to clear the commonwealth send me to places that other quests had me clear already? I keep clearing the same places over and over, great quest design.

Also, some of the side quest lines seem to never end, do they? So far, besides the main quests, the quest lines are mostly "go here, kill everything" - is that it? I kind of like placing the sensor quests, but even they are just "go here, kill everything, place item".

I want more variety, what is a good quest line to start? Right now I'm doing a mix of settlements, Brotherhood and Rail quests. I think I am near the end of the main quest so I stopped for now.
Radiant quests in this game are probably how Bethesda are justifying the "400 hrs" of gameplay line.

They're dull once you've opened up everything on the map, maybe having the place filled with different named legendary enemies, or some carrot on a stick to make them feel worth doing, would have extended their usefulness a little.

as it stands its merely a trap for OCD gamers who aren't aware of what they are until they are 10 quests deep, back to back with no story progress in sight.

N° 2048

I tried Wasteland 2 and maybe I'll try it again later but I made characters and got absolutely wrecked on one of the first encounters and I didn't think their build was all that bad but I was proven wrong. Seems like a game you have to be REALLY familiar with old school rpgs and stat distribution to do well in.

Yea man, game is a stat heavy old school game but I really want to try it some day.

Radiant quests in this game are probably how Bethesda are justifying the "400 hrs" of gameplay line.

They're dull once you've opened up everything on the map, maybe having the place filled with different named legendary enemies, or some carrot on a stick to make them feel worth doing, would have extended their usefulness a little.

as it stands its merely a trap for OCD gamers who aren't aware of what they are until they are 10 quests deep, back to back with no story progress in sight.

Don't enemies and loot respawn but generate randomly? Might add a little bit of spice for those grinding these quests out for XP.

I found him and he's at the Rexford now. But I can't send him in there to finish the quest. He just stands there.
You went in and talked to the guy in the hotel? He stood outside and I had to go in and talk to the guy then go back out and tell drinking buddy to go inside.

Kamina777

Banned
Yea man, game is a stat heavy old school game but I really want to try it some day.

Don't enemies and loot respawn but generate randomly? Might add a little bit of spice for those grinding these quests out for XP.
True, but once you get powerful enough, those things aren't as rewarding. They were cool to me at first because they usually sent me to places i had never been, but many hours in the been there done that is so real.

R0ckman

My Cait is bugged, for some reason, outside of following me, her health keeps draining causing her to drop to the ground over and over again.

Alpende

You went in and talked to the guy in the hotel? He stood outside and I had to go in and talk to the guy then go back out and tell drinking buddy to go inside.

Yeah, I', supposed to tell Drinking Bud to go inside but he just says 'Initiating compliment protocol' or whatever. I don't have the speech option to talk to him.

Kamina777

Banned
My Cait is bugged, for some reason, outside of following me, her health keeps draining causing her to drop to the ground over and over again.
What is your relationship with her? I want to believe it has to do with her quests, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bug.

MrDaravon

Ugh, I think it's impossible for me to save (sidequest spoiler)
Kent in the Shroud quest. He always dies before I can even make it to the room where he's being held, no matter how fast I get there. A google search shows this is glitchy for a lot of folks, I think in my case it's because I had already previously cleared out the hospital and all of the robots are already hostile or something.

Not the end of the world but really annoying.

CloudWolf

So one complaint that really turns me off is companions and perks.

I wish it would have been timed based instead of doing shit they like.

Or a New Vegas type thing where certain triggers in the game had an effect on companions and when their quest/perk unlocked. It's weird how it is in Fallout 4, at least they should've given some sort of indication how close you are to admired/idolized status because now you have no way of knowing how close your are.

N° 2048

Or a New Vegas type thing where certain triggers in the game had an effect on companions and when their quest/perk unlocked. It's weird how it is in Fallout 4, at least they should've given some sort of indication how close you are to admired/idolized status because now you have no way of knowing how close your are.

I thought it does? It says "Piper likes this." "Piper idolizes you." etc?

I know the perk ends up in your perk list but yea it's a tad confusing.

Benedict

Somebody else having problem with the sound on PS4?

The sound for dialogue in Fallout 4 has disappeared from my center speaker, or is just a whisper.
I can hear it if I turn my character so the sound comes from the other speakers in my 5.1 system but it's practically gone from the center.

Can it have something to do that I play the game mostly on remote play on my Vita and the system somehow changes the setting for the sound?

Ken

I think the thing I hate the most about the perk system is the investment needed to get rank 5 in those specific weapon type damage bonuses. I feel kind of cornered to sticking to only those guns until I have enough "extra" points to put into another, since I don't want to lose double damage but I also get bored using the same two pistols over and over.

Haunted

My favorite part of the game so far?

Fast travel to a place to get close to the marker. The marker points out of the door in the Commonwealth. When I zone the marker points back in. Zone in, run to building, zone again.

Four loading screens.
Yeah, there's two quest markers in downtown Boston I literally have no idea how to get to.

They could possibly be on the roof of some building I have to enter to get to? I don't really know and it's frustrating to not know where to go with such imprecise directions and a confusing layout in dilapidated building #478. Maybe I was just tired last night, but the loading screens certainly didn't help.

I thought it does? It says "Piper likes this." "Piper idolizes you." etc?

I know the perk ends up in your perk list but yea it's a tad confusing.

It sounds like the complaint is you don't know how close you are to getting "Piper idolizes you." I kind of have this problem now with Cait, where I've done her quest and everything but I still haven't maxed out her affinity, and I don't really know how much further I have to go before getting her perk.

Companions are slightly more interesting than in Fallout 3, but I feel like I've mostly exhausted the interesting bits. I'm not actually that interested in many of them, though there's one companion I still have yet to meet and I actually have no idea where she is. (I'm fine with this and don't need to be told, I just thought it was funny to still be missing one 85+ hours in.)

Yeah, there's two quest markers in downtown Boston I literally have no idea how to get to.

They could possibly be on the roof of some building I have to enter to get to? I don't really know and it's frustrating to not know where to go with such imprecise directions and a confusing layout in dilapidated building #478. Maybe I was just tired last night, but the loading screens certainly didn't help.

Which ones are they? Because yes, that's very much possible.

Ken

Companions were cool until I got my first companion perk and realized it was Social Links in P4 again where I'd immediately dump them after reaching the maximum bond and start chipping away with another.

Badgerst3

Loving the game- Bethesda crack like exploring as usual. Fantastic open world.

Dare I say- Dying Light beats it in graphics, melee game play and side quests.

(Bethesda has gunplay down this time).

Can't wait for a current gen console dedicated Bethesda game engine.

Companions were cool until I got my first companion perk and realized it was Social Links in P4 again where I'd immediately dump them after reaching the maximum bond and start chipping away with another.

Aack now everytime I max a companion the music from Persona is going to play in my head. :p

Cultural Leet

Neo Member
Once I reached maximum affinity with Cait, she started picking up every weapon she comes across. Is there some way to shut this off? She gets overburdened way too fast now.

j-wood

I really am confused by the armor system, I wish they did more work on the interface. I have no idea when I can/should equip multiple items or if what I have is one whole set piece and you can't equip anything else with it.

Is there something I'm missing?

Badgerst3

Suggestions on decent base armor so I can dump this damn blue vault suit? Want a better wasteland look with OK stats.

Level 17- about to start Nick Valentine and/or Freedom trail quests.

v0mitg0d

what does setting up supply lines between settlements do exactly? I'm wanting to have one settlement make all the food and then have that food supplied to other settlements. Is that possible?

Shares scrap resources between settlements--all of them if you do it correctly--except food/water. Can be confusing if ot done properly because the game does a really poor job of explaining it.

Guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nmuIS6wnFo

Ken

Once I reached maximum affinity with Cait, she started picking up every weapon she comes across. Is there some way to shut this off? She gets overburdened way too fast now.

Maximum? Nick started doing that as soon as I got him, I think.

Might just be how they're programmed to try to pick up weapons that are upgrades for them? Maybe try equipping them with a powerful modded weapon from your own stash.

Suggestions on decent base armor so I can dump this damn blue vault suit? Want a better wasteland look with OK stats.

Level 17- about to start Nick Valentine and/or Freedom trail quests.

Dirty/Clean Army Fatigues give +1 STR/AGI I think. You'll look like a military person I guess.

Kamina777

Banned

Yeah they really need a better indicator for when something is on the roof of a place, the first MILA quest was a headache.. I wouldn't be surprised if VANS lead you right towards the way to get up to the roof..may end up getting that last.

On another note, I learned not to play this game tired after I spent half an hour on the Railroad puzzle. Yeah, that one.

hydruxo

Maxson's Battlecoat is definitely my favorite looking outfit/armor in this game (Silver Shroud is probably a close #2). Courser Uniform is also pretty slick. Makes you look like Neo. I made sure to
pop a cap in Maxson before bringing the Pyrdwen down
so I could get that coat though haha.

Ken

Yeah they really need a better indicator for when something is on the roof of a place, the first MILA quest was a headache.. I wouldn't be surprised if VANS lead you right towards the way to get up to the roof..may end up getting that last.

On another note, I learned not to play this game tired after I spent half an hour on the Railroad puzzle. Yeah, that one.

Aren't MILAs always placed on roofs? The quests are "Weathervane" quests, after all. I only did one MILA though but I thought the quest marker was accurate. My quest was at a fishing plant.

Kamina777

Banned
Aren't MILAs always placed on roofs though?
Actually, no.

And It was the very first MILA quest I got! I kinda glazed over exactly what i was supposed to be doing since I just wanted the ballistic fibers mod!

The quest marker kept pointing upwards..I couldn't find the way up to it.. So I did PAM's quests and ended up in the MILA area and found the way by accident..I had to carefully walk on a hanging row of trains to get to it..it was on a plank jutting out of the lead trains entrance..that one was actually fun.

N° 2048

It sounds like the complaint is you don't know how close you are to getting "Piper idolizes you." I kind of have this problem now with Cait, where I've done her quest and everything but I still haven't maxed out her affinity, and I don't really know how much further I have to go before getting her perk.

Companions are slightly more interesting than in Fallout 3, but I feel like I've mostly exhausted the interesting bits. I'm not actually that interested in many of them, though there's one companion I still have yet to meet and I actually have no idea where she is. (I'm fine with this and don't need to be told, I just thought it was funny to still be missing one 85+ hours in.)

Makes sense!

Should be a very very interesting first batch of patches for this game.

Will they correct bugs only or add new features hmmm

Ken

Actually, no.

And It was the very first MILA quest I got! I kinda glazed over exactly what i was supposed to be doing since I just wanted the ballistic fibers mod!

The quest marker kept pointing upwards..I couldn't find the way up to it.. So I did PAM's quests and ended up in the MILA area and found the way by accident..I had to carefully walk on a hanging row of trains to get to it..it was on a plank jutting out of the lead trains entrance..that one was actually fun.

That sounds kind of fun. Might have to do more of those then but I don't like the Railroad or Tinker Tom much.

So I accidentally took Preston's hat, and now he won't wear it again. LOL
You should be able to put it back into his inventory and whilst there you press Y or the Keyboard equivalant for him to wear it. If it doesn't work then yeah, that's bugged.

Annoyingly Cait's default clothes can't be modified but Pipers and I'm sure many others can be.

BizzyBum

Okay, walking and no fast travel is definitely the best way to play. Really helps with the roleplay and immersion, and you appreciate the scenery and atmosphere Bethesda created. There are already numerous times I've caught something that I wouldn't have if I was running not paying attention because it wasn't highlighted on the map and often times lots of funny and epic sequences that play out between rival NPC's. I mean, running and fast travel are still things I do obviously, but I encourage everyone to at least try this occasionally.

Also, I want to slap my past self in the face thinking this game world looked small when viewing the map before release and watching that video of the dude running across the entire Commonwealth in like 11 minutes and I was worried. It may not be as big as some other recent open world games like Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 but it's still packed to the brim with content. I can't walk more then 10 steps in any direction in downtown Boston without coming across another area to explore.

Lrrr

I'm considering getting this, but can I remap the button layout to my liking? I think jumping with triangle would be weird for me, especially since X is used in so many other games I have.

I'm considering getting this, but can I remap the button layout to my liking? I think jumping with triangle would be weird for me, especially since X is used in so many other games I have.

Jumping with triangle is weird for everyone but you get used to it after a few hours.

Top Bottom