• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Faenix1

With power suits, do you have to bring them back to your base when you don't want to use them/don't need them? I mean if you just leave them there will they disappear?

Just don't enter another PA and it'll show up on your map where you left it. Only way it'll move is if an NPC comes and takes it for whatever reason.

Can you wear a power armor frame without using up a core?

Yes. Only:
-You cant run
-You cant fast travel
-It'll beep at you all annoying like
-You'll move slower

I wouldn't recommend it

Resources Duping

I also barely use Power Armor. I just have them up as display items lol.

One way to play but a boring way to survive most encounters is to lay back and snipe your enemies. That's how I've been surviving so far lol.

I've had to do that a lot. It's really sad depending on the enemy.

I met a skulled Super Mutant and I pretty much shot him in the head, retreated, he'd look for me and give up and go back to his route. Repeat.

Humans, on the other hands, will charge you like a mofo. Was easily solved though by started farther back and sniping and running. lol

Replicant

it's a really weird feeling, but fallout 4 feels like a game i'm enjoying in spite of itself. I can barely go half a minute without thinking "that's a really stupid design decision" or "god I can't believe they decided to do that" or "man if synths replaced everyone in the game I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference because you're all STUPID ROBOTS", but I'm still enjoying myself a lot and thinking about the game pretty often.

The game is great and addictive. But it would have been perfect had:

* Attention been given a lot more to the story, plot and characterisation
* Some the bugs in this game are downright annoying
* Limitations on building/resources is a bit discouraging

Am I crazy, or does this game really want you to use power armor? I don't like the slow movement and cluttered HUD of the power armor, but it seems like they're pushing me to use it.

I got 3 and so far I've only used it twice. Once during the tutorial against Raiders (and a suddenly appearing Deathclaw) and once against those
Triggermen
since I couldn't be bothered with their stupid gun attacks. But other than that, I find them a bit too resource-wasting to use. Maybe once I finished up all of those settlements then I'll have enough steel left to use.

I don't mind sniping but I find my character seems to utilise his 10mm the best. And oh, my Shotgun is deadly too and and has a lot of shells. More shells than my 10mm for some reason.

So I have a glitch in which I can't get dialogue options from Preston.

I can only receive or report quests to him but I can't trade, talk or have him join me.

Bummer.

It's a color bug that you will soon encounter with other characters. The fact is, if you press X (or the corresponding button), he/she will still talk to/come with you

skyhaven

Neo Member
The limitation of Power Armor is not due to the 'repairs'. FYI Steel is plentiful enough, scrap any Pipe weapons and it's Steel, a higher grade PA can cost Aluminum and such but it's very minor inconvenience. The biggest issue is the fuel powering it: the Fusion Core is not very common at the start and costs a bit of caps to procure.

But once you get past that, the PA overrides almost every gear you can wear in terms of damage resistance. You consume less stims, take less damage, and can focus more on dealing damage.

With power suits, do you have to bring them back to your base when you don't want to use them/don't need them? I mean if you just leave them there will they disappear?
To my knowledge they never disappear. The map will show the location of the last Power Armour you wore so you can always go back and get it.
In fact I know you never loses any Power Armour because I have about 10 scattered all over the Commonwealth some in settlements some not. There are Power Armour workstations you can find all over the place so perhaps leaving them there is guaranteed to be safe. But I've never lost one myself.

Kamina777

Banned
Raise your defence (look in data -> workshops in pipboy for which ones need it) and they go away. Does need to be fancy, just plonk down a bunch of turrets, don't even need power.
Once i linked all the populated settlements, i just threw down turrets along the perimeter with about 5 foot of space betwee them. Eats everything up including deathclaws.

r1chard

Once i linked all the populated settlements, i just threw down turrets along the perimeter with about 5 foot of space betwee them. Eats everything up including deathclaws.

As long as the defence is high enough, and you don't visit the settlement, you don't need to care about placement, just that raw number.

Replicant

The limitation of Power Armor is not due to the 'repairs'. FYI Steel is plentiful enough, scrap any Pipe weapons and it's Steel, a higher grade PA can cost Aluminum and such but it's very minor inconvenience. The biggest issue is the fuel powering it: the Fusion Core is not very common at the start and costs a bit of caps to procure.

But once you get past that, the PA overrides almost every gear you can wear in terms of damage resistance. You consume less stims, take less damage, and can focus more on dealing damage.

Steel is not plentiful enough if you do all 3 of:

1. Building a lot of settlements (I mostly do Steel-based buildings)
2. Upgrading your own guns/armor
3. Upgrading your power armor

Since I do 1 and 2 a lot, I do tend to neglect 3. But then again I'm console peasant so I can't do easy resource trick. Maybe I'll try the one shown on youtube vid above. I actually have a lot of Fusion Cores at the moment (about 12 or so). I can't even remember I have that many until last night I decided to color my Power Armor and went "WTF? I have this many Fusion Cores?"

My character is a tank though so he doesn't use that much of Stimpacks. I still have about 70 or so stimpacks playing on Normal.

Raise your defence (look in data -> workshops in pipboy for which ones need it) and they go away. Does need to be fancy, just plonk down a bunch of turrets, don't even need power.

At one time I was in the middle of building mode in Red Rocket when I heard RAT TAT TAT TAT TAT. As it turns out, my turret has been busy fielding attacks from some annoying Super Mutants. I immediately stopped what I was doing and got rid of those pesky assholes. This game is kind of amusing at times.

LMAO.
3579-4-1448840547.jpg
I guess I'm gonna bring him with me from now on.

Jintor

Also the game is kind of shithouse about notifying you about attacks, but on the other hand, it doesn't even matter if you fail them, so i guess it all evens out. (I swear to god sometimes the second you loud in you'll get a half-second glimpse of some notification as it fades away and never see it again)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
l just had two of the strangest bugs back to back.

I just finished clearing the outside of the Mental Hospital and was laden with loot so I was contemplating whether or not to fast travel back to my settlement when I saw on my map that the settlement I thought had 11 people and 80% happiness was now at 20 people and 72% happiness. Thinking I can kill two birds with one stone I fast-travel back to the settlement and store all my loot in the workshop before going into workshop mode which was now saying I had 11 people and 72% and rising happiness.

So how did it say 20 and then go back to 11. I used the bell to confirm there were only 11 people in my settlement but how did my happiness fall and begin to rise again without me doing anything? I am absolutely sure I initially saw 20 people before fast-traveling btw.

Well, now lighter, I decide to fast-travel back to the hospital and on arriving, I was attacked by two fully clothed mercenaries which I was sure I killed and looted all of on my initial visit. Sounds weird huh? Here's the kicker... one of the attackers had no head because I blew it off in the previous sweep..... so yeah. I killed them again and took the loot... again. It was only those two that respawned(?) instead of the 9 or so I killed during the first sweep.

Bugs. They seem to be increasing in frequency as my playtime grows though its nowhere near as bad as mod-less skyrim
(modded skyrim was a bug with occasional gameplay)

Do the "Cleansing the Commonwealth" and "Quartermastery" missions from the two BoS goons ever end?

I've been doing so many I lost count.

Those are infinite. I only did a couple of each and stopped. They're good if you like exploring though, since they usually take you to new places.

Jintor

Which missions are infinite, anyway? The damn settlement missions and the brotherhood police station missions are the main ones I think of. Any others out there?

Also the game is kind of shithouse about notifying you about attacks, but on the other hand, it doesn't even matter if you fail them, so i guess it all evens out. (I swear to god sometimes the second you loud in you'll get a half-second glimpse of some notification as it fades away and never see it again)
If your settlement is under attack it will be displayed in "miscellaneous quests" for a short while. I found if I didn't help when I went back I would have to repair the generators (usually) or the crops and water pumps. Happiness obviously dropped.
Interestingly when one settlement was attacked by Synths the Settlers actually killed one of the other Settlers. When I checked her body she had a Synth component on her, meaning she was a Synth.

Vex_

Banned
I bought a gun called the "Spray n' Pray" and it's insanely powerful. It's making the game too easy for me at the moment.

I made a video demonstrating it:

Cool gun and all, and Imma let you finish, but those are probably the most glass canon enemies in the game. They go down quick even with most small arms lol.

What level are you? Try that gun against queen or a behemoth. Record dat video!

:)

So i am level 13 and just tried the minutemen storm the castle mission, getting my ass handed to me by a legendary crab thing and the big monster there.

All my weapons feel like peashooters against these 2, even went with powerarmour and my minigun barely scratched em.

What level is everyone when they started this mission ?

So i am level 13 and just tried the minutemen storm the castle mission, getting my ass handed to me by a legendary crab thing and the big monster there.

All my weapons feel like peashooters against these 2, even went with powerarmour and my minigun barely scratched em.

What level is everyone when they started this mission ?
I think I was between 15 and 20. i just hid in the doorways of the Castle to avoid the nasty poision it spews. Took a while to wipe it out. Remember go for it's head/face as it's shell is really tough. I did have the Overseer's Guardian which is a pretty decent automatic combat rifle with armour piercing. Good against Mirelurks.

justjim89

I'm trying to do the Synth Retention quest, but whenever I try to meet up and talk with
the Courser
, he's fighting with a damn vertibird that's flying around. I'm in good with the BoS, as well. What do I do, sit and watch the AI fight it out for an hour? Waste ammo shooting a vertibird down? The quest refuses to progress at the moment.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Seemed to have reached the true faction breaking point:
Mass Fusion puts you on the outs with the Brotherhood of Steel. Cannot report to BOS for that mission because they want you to talk to an NPC about storming the Railroad HQ.
Looks like it is time for another hard save and then to see how far thing branch out for each group.

Replicant

I was trying to get him to come with me originally.

Yeah, I did that with Piper. At one point I wanted to switch from Nick to her and the come option (X) was greyed out. I just pressed it regardless and her dialogue came. Same with talking. Often it's greyed out but I pressed it regardless.

Now just give me your perk already, Piper so I can switch back to Nick then finally get to Danse.

One companion I can't be arsed with is Strong. So dumb and his dialogue options are so grating (Super Mutants are Super. We will kill all humans someday!).

Hero

I'm trying to do the Synth Retention quest, but whenever I try to meet up and talk with
the Courser
, he's fighting with a damn vertibird that's flying around. I'm in good with the BoS, as well. What do I do, sit and watch the AI fight it out for an hour? Waste ammo shooting a vertibird down? The quest refuses to progress at the moment.

I just let the synth kill the BoS.

NBtoaster

Yeah, I did that with Piper. At one point I wanted to switch from Nick to her and the come option (X) was greyed out. I just pressed it regardless and her dialogue came. Same with talking. Often it's greyed out but I pressed it regardless.

Now just give me your perk already, Piper so I can switch back to Nick then finally get to Danse.

One companion I can't be arsed with is Strong. So dumb and his dialogue options are so grating (Super Mutants are Super. We will kill all humans someday!).

The option being greyed out just means you've heard their response to that option before.

About 140 hours and finally wrapped up multiple story lines. Only two achievements to get (Follower and settlement), and they will probably wait for a year or so until mods bring me back. Still some zones to explore so I'm sure there are some crazy things I missed.

Great experience. Not sure which ending path I liked more.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I got to the mission where you have to choose between
railroad, brotherhood or the minutemen.
Do I have to pick a side and am I locked to them? Can I continue the mission without picking a side?
You're not being specific enough, but I assume you are referring to the quest titled The Molecular Level.

To answer your question it does not matter who you choose the Minutemen, Railroad or BoS (that's not a spoiler) to build the device, as it will not lock you into that faction. That will come later and you will know when it happens as the game will let you know, wether a faction is hostile to you. The quest titled Mass Fusion is a critical point.

I got my platinum trophy and was able to do every single quest for every faction before making another faction hostile. I ended up making uses of save reloads.

Sarcasm

So perk wise it only matters if it is press to fire (single shot) or hold and fire (automatic, does semi automatic exist?), even for laser (plasma?) weapons?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just let the synth kill the BoS.
This is one of my beefs about the game is that there are quite a few instances where a random attack can cause a quest to fail. There was one instance where I needed to talk to someone to stand down, but the attack caused the person to die. I ended up reloading a save and the at rackets were gone.

In that quest you are talking about I actually attacked the courser. He doesn't die, but goes DBNO and the BoS walked away.

Ok this is bugging the shit outta me. For some reason Settlements will randomly grow twice their original size for now reason and drag down my settlements happiness, but when I fast travel their it shows that it's still at the original size of settlers. What the hell is causing this?

Broank

Well shit.

I go through a whole elaborate 5 stage thing draining a power station level by level and the only loot is a fusion core (got like 9o something of those already) and some mediocre guns.

Walk right down the road to an unassuming motel and I find 2 comic books, a suit of power armor and a set of Teddy Ruxpin story time tapes. lol

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Ok this is bugging the shit outta me. For some reason Settlements will randomly grow twice their original size for now reason and drag down my settlements happiness, but when I fast travel their it shows that it's still at the original size of settlers. What the hell is causing this?
Does the radio recruitment beacon just keep on attracting more people? I've found the whole settlement thing so insanely tedious that I started ignoring it. By far the worst part of an otherwise amazing game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does the radio recruitment beacon just keep on attracting more people? I've found the whole settlement thing so insanely tedious that I started ignoring it. By far the worst part of an otherwise amazing game.
No, the most settlers a settlement can have is 10 + your Charisma level. My charisma was 11 which meant I had 21 settlers. That's the MOST, many will end up,with less than that.

I bought a gun called the "Spray n' Pray" and it's insanely powerful. It's making the game too easy for me at the moment.

I made a video demonstrating it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDP6qTpn7Ms

That's my go to .45 caliber weapon, I've burned through my ammo reserve for it a few times because it's so fun to use. It kills every last thing in the room and injures the player a bit before the magazine is empty, no matter what lol.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are the Randolph Safehouse missions infinite? I thought not since they're labeled using numbers rather than the colon formatting, but it's just kept going without any real story development.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Bahhhh I sold my Broadsider on accident and didn't realise it until hours later.

I checked my last Hard Save and it's from yesterday so screw it I'm not throwing away today's progress down the gutter (about 9 hours of progress) for a gun I wasn't planning on using anyways.

Bahhhh I sold my Broadsider on accident and didn't realise it until hours later.

I checked my last Hard Save and it's from yesterday so screw it I'm not throwing away today's progress down the gutter (about 9 hours of progress) for a gun I wasn't planning on using anyways.

If your on PC you can just add it back to your inventory. It's a really fun weapon, I found myself using it more than most specialty weapons.

Jintor

Also my power is constantly in the red for some reason at the castle. Does every individual power node relay thingy take power or what? I'm having the devil of a time getting wiring through to light the back of one of the corner rooms.

Top Bottom