• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Hazmat

If you've assigned them to a shop, then when you highlight their character in 'build mode', the shop will also highlight. (it will also highlight their bed).

That's obviously useless unless they happen to be standing near whatever you assigned them to.

This manages to get them past the point of "Didn't Even Try" solidly into "Tried As Little As Possible."

I'm having a great time with the game, but the settlement management is pretty awful.

I have a standard modded shotgun. Now I found a special shotgun. Is it somehow possible to transfer the mods from the standard shotgun to the special shotgun? Improving it further?
Resetting it to standard mods doesn't work.

Jintor

I have a standard modded shotgun. Now I found a special shotgun. Is it somehow possible to transfer the mods from the standard shotgun to the special shotgun? Improving it further?
Resetting it to standard mods doesn't work.

It does. The removed mods will become available to slap onto the standard shotty, assuming they're the same base model.

Roni

Gold Member
This manages to get them past the point of "Didn't Even Try" solidly into "Tried As Little As Possible."

I'm having a great time with the game, but the settlement management is pretty awful.

What was the alternative? Having a detailed list that said that settler was responsible for Mutfruits 34, 55 and 78? How boring would it be for you to go looking into that?

There were not a lot of great options, they simply went with an easy one.

Personally, I'd prefer a system that highlighted items used by the settler until you deselected them. But we don't have a way to generically select them in the game itself, so...

danowat

Banned
Wonder if anyone can confirm or deny this.

Now, I was under the impression that, without extra legendary stats and/or, all things were equal, but I am not sure this is the case.

I don't usual check the specs of things I have found, but I have found two pieces, of what I thought, were normal combat armour, that have higher stats than the combat armour I was currently wearing, it's not mods, because I broke them down to there standard spec, and they still have higher damage resistance than others.

So are not all items equal?, do base stats for armour and weapons vary?

Lanrutcon

Is it clear when the game lock you in faction?

Yes. It will warn you. I'd keep an updated save before you turn in any of the main quests though.

Especially after a certain quest starting with 'Molecular'.

Now, I was under the impression that, without extra legendary stats and/or, all things were equal, but I am not sure this is the case.

I don't usual check the specs of things I have found, but I have found two pieces, of what I thought, were normal combat armour, that have higher stats than the combat armour I was currently wearing, it's not mods, because I broke them down to there standard spec, and they still have higher damage resistance than others.

All items are equal. Ensure that they're both the same kind of combat armour, for the same slot, with no material modifications, and no upgrades.

Roni

Gold Member

Is one piece called Heavy?

They are.
Is it wise to scrap the standard mod?

To extract a weapon mod, you'll need to place another in place. Keeping standard mods won't require you to craft standard modifications in order to extract high level ones and waste precious resources.

I'd keep some around, but they are a source of income if you're strapped.

Lanrutcon

Fairly sure they were identical, but I need to check tonight.

Easy way to check: equip them. The 3 types of armors have different visuals. So Combat Armor Left Arm looks different than Sturdy Combat Armor Left Arm and Heavy Combat Armor Left Arm.

Main story ending spoilers + info on how I got a good-ish ending:

I just beat all four endings, finishing with the Minutemen as my permanent one.

I was disappointed by how similar the three non-Institute ones are, and by how little good/interesting stuff the Institute one leaves you with. I originally wanted to side with the Institute, but I ended up not doing it because of the world state it produces. I need Deacon alive so he can keep being my bartender at The Castle, and I'll take that over hanging with the Institute board any day.

Somehow I managed the right sequence of quests to allow me to remain friendly with both the Railroad and the Brotherhood, while using the Minutemen to defeat the Institute. That's by far the most appealing outcome for me, since it lets me keep doing Railroad and Brotherhood stuff + hanging with Deacon in my bar.

In case anyone is having trouble getting to a similar world state, here's roughly what I did:
- Warn the Brotherhood about Mass Fusion. It's VERY important that you only talk to Proctor Ingram. If you talk to Captain Kells, you will likely get the kill order quest and become an enemy of the Railroad.
- Collect the Mass Fusion core. Get the Ad Victorium quest, but don't do anything with it. At this point, you should also get a quest to talk to Preston.
- I also got an additional quest to inform Desdemona that my cover was blown. I opted not to complete this until after doing the rest of the below steps.
- Go talk to Preston. He may ask you to acquire more settlements before taking on the Institute.
- Enter the Institute through the tunnel Sturges discovers and storm it with the Minutemen.
- Get the Minutemen ending, while keeping the Brotherhood and the Railroad in tact. Woohoo!
- Go talk to Desdemona about your cover being blown and then talk to Preston to clean up that quest. You'll have a very odd conversation with Desdemona about how you need to find another way to defeat the Institute, despite it already being very exploded.

Really cool, I'll try this for my current playthrough.

danowat

Banned
Easy way to check: equip them. The 3 types of armors have different visuals. So Combat Armor Left Arm looks different than Sturdy Combat Armor Left Arm and Heavy Combat Armor Left Arm.

Yeah, in hindsight it's probably me just getting confused between the normal, sturdy and heavy nomenclatures.

What was the alternative? Having a detailed list that said that settler was responsible for Mutfruits 34, 55 and 78? How boring would it be for you to go looking into that?

Yes, that's a good alternative. At least then you'd know at a glance that settler actually has a job.

NBtoaster

There were not a lot of great options, they simply went with an easy one.

Personally, I'd prefer a system that highlighted items used by the settler until you deselected them. But we don't have a way to generically select them in the game itself, so...

It would be nice if you could hover over a settler in build mode and just get a small list of
- assigned tasks
- current activity
- current complaints

at least then I'd know why they all congregate in one backyard.

CloudWolf

Micromanagement might be 'boring' to look at, but it's the only right way to do stuff like this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of the factions give notably more interesting quests than the others? So far, they've all been fairly vanilla dungeon crawls. Kind of underwhelming.

i'm kind of disappointed with the lack of weapon variety. of course you can mod you weapons, but they all rank from lower to higher damage instead of different effects like in borderlands where there is fire, acid, etc., so you're obviously going to use the greatest one possible.

Ken

i'm kind of disappointed with the lack of weapon variety. of course you can mod you weapons, but they all rank from lower to higher damage instead of different effects like in borderlandsa where there is fire, acid, etc., so you're obviously going to use the greatest one possible.

Yeah, once you've got the higher rank mods all that's left is hoping for a legendary version of that gun with the perk you want.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, once you've got the higher rank mods all that's left is hoping for a legendary version of that gun with the perk you want.

Your sniping weapon wants Instigator. So your rifle or Gauss.
Your 'oh shit' weapon wants Penetrating. So your shotgun or AR.
Your rapid fire weapon wants Bleeding. So your SMG or automatic whatever. Explosive also works, but is really dangerous to yourself.

And that's that, really. I used to give a shit about armor affixes, but you can kill stuff so fast that defensive stats are almost useless.

I guess if you're melee thing are different?

Haunted

Do any of the factions give notably more interesting quests than the others? So far, they've all been fairly vanilla dungeon crawls. Kind of underwhelming.
Quest quality has definitely taken a dive. I've yet to come across a really memorable one.

Ken

And even then, all the legendary perks are a bit samey.

Yeah, most of the legendary stuff is damage related. There's some crowd control stuff like Kneecapper but what's the point when you could just kill the thing faster. Nocturnal and enemy specific perks are too situational to lug around with low weight characters, All that's left is do you want to do your bonus damage through bleeds, an extra bullet, or explosive rounds.

Relentless is a pretty fun perk though.

I also just remembered I have a Kneecapper Fatman. Thanks game.

danowat

Banned
Quest quality has definitely taken a dive. I've yet to come across a really memorable one.

I'll be honest, I've found much better writing and "questing" outside of the actual quests, some of the little vignettes and things and locations that don't have a quest attached to them.

Like the Irish shipping company, and the guy who was raising a load of Mirelurks, quite an atmospheric little area, what with his tannoy announcements telling the Mirelurks to stop nipping!

There's loads of other things like this that escape my memory as well.

Replicant

Main story ending spoilers + info on how I got a good-ish ending:

I just beat all four endings, finishing with the Minutemen as my permanent one.

I was disappointed by how similar the three non-Institute ones are, and by how little good/interesting stuff the Institute one leaves you with. I originally wanted to side with the Institute, but I ended up not doing it because of the world state it produces. I need Deacon alive so he can keep being my bartender at The Castle, and I'll take that over hanging with the Institute board any day.

Somehow I managed the right sequence of quests to allow me to remain friendly with both the Railroad and the Brotherhood, while using the Minutemen to defeat the Institute. That's by far the most appealing outcome for me, since it lets me keep doing Railroad and Brotherhood stuff + hanging with Deacon in my bar.

In case anyone is having trouble getting to a similar world state, here's roughly what I did:
- Warn the Brotherhood about Mass Fusion. It's VERY important that you only talk to Proctor Ingram. If you talk to Captain Kells, you will likely get the kill order quest and become an enemy of the Railroad.
- Collect the Mass Fusion core. Get the Ad Victorium quest, but don't do anything with it. At this point, you should also get a quest to talk to Preston.
- I also got an additional quest to inform Desdemona that my cover was blown. I opted not to complete this until after doing the rest of the below steps.
- Go talk to Preston. He may ask you to acquire more settlements before taking on the Institute.
- Enter the Institute through the tunnel Sturges discovers and storm it with the Minutemen.
- Get the Minutemen ending, while keeping the Brotherhood and the Railroad in tact. Woohoo!
- Go talk to Desdemona about your cover being blown and then talk to Preston to clean up that quest. You'll have a very odd conversation with Desdemona about how you need to find another way to defeat the Institute, despite it already being very exploded.

Very interesting. I wonder if the reason so many people have been complaining about the ending is because most people have been doing the quests in specific orders which resulted in conflict but you can actually pacify them if you're careful about the order.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Haven't played a while recently. Just reached level 20 and found
Virgil in his cave
. That area is amazing and I was
destroyed by a Legendary Deathclaw that sits outside his cave.

Now to find the
CIT and a Courser
. Any idea how much of the main story I've got to go? I'm at 45 hours so far. As far as I know I haven't done any faction quests except those tutorials for the
Minutemen
at the start.

Apart from reloading an old save to do the Railroad, rest of the BOS and rest of the Institute missions, finding all the locations and getting 100% in a settlement all I want to do is find the bobbleheads.

I still want to keep playing! I hope the DLC comes soon.

Also I destroyed the Railroad on my minutemen run. No regrets! Humans over Synths any day of the week

Very interesting. I wonder if the reason so many people have been complaining about the ending is because most people have been doing the quests in specific orders which resulted in conflict but you can actually pacify them if you're careful about the order.
Considering the way the other factions don't acknowledge the ending, it seems like it's more of an unintended loophole. Cool, though.

Using that resource duplication glitch because I'm tired of scavving for 2 pieces of copper. Now I've got over 500 copper. Just need to buy a steel shipment and adhesive shipment and the Castle will become a city.

At work and this is top of my head but you know the mining pit north east ish of the map.

I cleared it out for a mission (settlement) and had to go into the tunnels at the bottom to clear out the rest.
Well after i cleared it out i found a additional tunnel with lights i had to turn on and when i did ghouls attacked me, this went on for a while until i got to a door i had to unlock too continue, but when i opened this door the screen went white and i got sent to a different tunnel with nothing to do but after a minute or so the screen went white again and i got ported back to the door i unlocked.

Can anyone explain... what the fuck happened lol

Lanrutcon

At work and this is top of my head but you know the mining pit north east ish of the map.

I cleared it out for a mission (settlement) and had to go into the tunnels at the bottom to clear out the rest.
Well after i cleared it out i found a additional tunnel with lights i had to turn on and when i did ghouls attacked me, this went on for a while until i got to a door i had to unlock too continue, but when i opened this door the screen went white and i got sent to a different tunnel with nothing to do but after a minute or so the screen went white again and i got ported back to the door i unlocked.

Can anyone explain... what the fuck happened lol

Do you not read terminals?

For those of you doing Railroad quests, there's actually an end to one of the seemingly-repeatable quests -- the ones about the Randolph Safehouse. After (I think) six of them their leader actually shows up at the Railroad HQ and gives you a unique weave upgrade. Which is rendered kind of irrelevant since by that point you've probably unlocked the game-breaking ballistic weave with them...but still, I was pleasantly surprised.

Replicant

Can you actually move residents from a specific Settlement to another one? I mean, who in their right mind would want to live in Sunshine Tiding Co-Op with all of the dead ghoul bodies that can't be cleared away?!!

I already moved their carcasses out of the house and now they're back!!! So obviously the place is haunted, which is all the more reason not to stay there so why are these 2 buffons want to stay there?!

void666

Banned
I'm level 53 with 149 hours of playtime. Interacted with all 4 factions and right now my objective puts me against one of the factions.

This is my favorite (bethesda) fallout. Despite its flaws. It's fun to play. And it's the most solid bethesda game in a while.
But the dialogues and quests are depressingly bad. So much potential wasted.
I hope bethesda puts some of the millions they profited to good use and hire some better writers and quest designers.

And i know this is nitpicky but i'm getting tired of these easter eggs using skeletons, teddy bears, manequins. Yesterday i found roy batty and deckard. It's funny when it's few and far between. But they are everywhere. IMO it's immersion breaking.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Max out Rifleman if you use ranged weapons, and ensure you put in at least one point each in the Bottlecap and ammo perks.
That's one of my issues with the Perks because they seem too broad and aren't design for a specific role. I had to force myself to get the Damage and Energy Resistance Perks just got the sake of using the Perk Points but other than that alot of these are pretty useless to me.

If you include the Companion Perks there's one too many X Effect Activates after your HP falls below 20% Perk and those Perks are complete trash in my opinion because there's no reason you should let your HP drop that low or even actively stay that low to keep those effects.

I hope that they add more Perks that fit a specific role with the DLC because I reached the point of having to grab "meh" type of Perks already.

REALLY salty that they didn't add the Pack Rat Perk to the game because with all of the Junk you're collecting it would have been the most useful Perk in this game.

N° 2048

Npc: Will you get this item for me?
Me: Yea sure... Not for free though. CHARISMA
Npc: How does 100 caps sound?
Me: not enough.CHARISMA
Npc: OK, how about 125 caps?
Me: surely this is worth more to you?CHARISMA
Npc: wow, you drive a hard bargain-- 200 caps?
Me: c'mon! I'm putting my life on the line here!CHARISMA
Npc: OK, OK! 300 caps!
Me: well I guess the super mutants are gonna have [insert item] for lunch then...CHARISMA
Npc: you're killing me here! 400, caps. And that's final! ...shit.

Me: I actually already have the item here.

Npc:

giphy.gif

Omg I love this too haha. Sometimes I don't even realize I have the item already rofl

Top Bottom