• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Quest question, is Virgil bugged?
I got the serum from the institute and my status with them is "thinking about it" and I'm on the quest to recover the raider leader synth. Well every time I go into Virgil's cave his turrets automatically agro me and it immediately fails the quest which is in the "misc" category to return the serum to him. Like the quest marker leads to his cave and everything and he just automatically agros.

I got the serum from the institute and my status with them is "thinking about it" and I'm on the quest to recover the raider leader synth. Well every time I go into Virgil's cave his turrets automatically agro me and it immediately fails the quest which is in the "misc" category to return the serum to him. Like the quest marker leads to his cave and everything and he just automatically agros.
Thats really wierd. Perhaps you accidentally stole something from his place?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think I read that if you wait too long to return to him, that he turns against you.
Possibly something about the transformation being permanent after so much time passes without him getting the serum?

I shot the shit out of those turrets, they fucked with me at the beginning of that mission.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Bummer, is there anyway to maybe go back to were you sold it and rebuy? I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Sold it to a vendor in my settlement and they reset/refresh their inventory every 24 in game hours so the game ate it already.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
images7qnp.jpeg

And with a Fat Man sneak attack, the Behemoth falls.

If your thinking about getting the Platnum I strongly discourage it at this time. Benevolent Leader took me approximately 20 hours of real time just waiting in sanctuary for the happiness to rise (I left it on while sleeping and it was 98 and going down when I woke up, built yet another clinic and then waited 3 more hours for the trophy to pop).

Setting that aside, that my biggest complaint with the game is the dialogue system which felt like a huge step back. Exploring the world was great fun but I didn't really enjoy any of the conversations, it's not like every conversation in real life is like yes, no, sarcastic or more information. The loss of stat specific dialogue really hurt the game for me. It felt so good to use my character particular strengths in conversation but that's all lost now and for me, the game really suffers for it.

The story also went from uninteresting to very poor by the end.
I thought we'd moved past these 'pick a side but everyone is bad in their own way' choices. For me picking a faction and then destroying the others is about as dull as a story there is.
It will be interesting to see where the design of these games and the engine running them goes in the future. I felt like you can almost feel it breaking all the time here and while the core exploration mechanic of the game is enjoyable as ever I'm not sure it will be able to carry the jank the series has attached to it forever.

The gunplay is vastly improved and can actually be enjoyable now. The map and locations were fun. The Glowing Sea was excellent. My favourite part of the game was exploring The Glowing Sea in third person wearing the Hazmat Suit and with a Laser Pistol.

Settlements were a great idea to use the junk items but they scale poorly. There are far far too many in the game for one player to manage and they get less rewarding the bigger they get as they don't really produce anything but require more resources. It would be great with a better management system or if once they got to a certain size they were able to look after themselves. It would be great if I could just set up supply lines and then the settlers would use the materials themselves, later you could come back to see how it grew.

It's an enjoyable game for sure but I hope this isn't the full death of a proper dialogue system. It was sorely missed while I was playing. Hope everyone is enjoying Irridated Boston.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Should still have it. Trashcan Carla has all my named weapons I didn't want.

I will try to look for it once I get out of work today but in the meantime good night everyone.

Pennywise

And with a Fat Man sneak attack, the Behemoth falls.

If your thinking about getting the Platnum I strongly discourage it at this time. Benevolent Leader took me approximately 20 hours of real time just waiting in sanctuary for the happiness to rise (I left it on while sleeping and it was 98 and going down when I woke up, built yet another clinic and then waited 3 more hours for the trophy to pop).

Setting that aside, that my biggest complaint with the game is the dialogue system which felt like a huge step back. Exploring the world was great fun but I didn't really enjoy any of the conversations, it's not like every conversation in real life is like yes, no, sarcastic or more information. The loss of stat specific dialogue really hurt the game for me. It felt so good to use my character particular strengths in conversation but that's all lost now and for me, the game really suffers for it.

The story also went from uninteresting to very poor by the end.
I thought we'd moved past these 'pick a side but everyone is bad in their own way' choices. For me picking a faction and then destroying the others is about as dull as a story there is.
It will be interesting to see where the design of these games and the engine running them goes in the future. I felt like you can almost feel it breaking all the time here and while the core exploration mechanic of the game is enjoyable as ever I'm not sure it will be able to carry the jank the series has attached to it forever.

The gunplay is vastly improved and can actually be enjoyable now. The map and locations were fun. The Glowing Sea was excellent. My favourite part of the game was exploring The Glowing Sea in third person wearing the Hazmat Suit and with a Laser Pistol.

Settlements were a great idea to use the junk items but they scale poorly. There are far far too many in the game for one player to manage and they get less rewarding the bigger they get as they don't really produce anything but require more resources. It would be great with a better management system or if once they got to a certain size they were able to look after themselves. It would be great if I could just set up supply lines and then the settlers would use the materials themselves, later you could come back to see how it grew.

It's an enjoyable game for sure but I hope this isn't the full death of a proper dialogue system. It was sorely missed while I was playing. Hope everyone is enjoying Irridated Boston.

That cost me about 2 hours, mainly with getting the right amount of money.
Just took alot of time to get to the NPCs and sell them shit with their low amount of bottlecaps.
Other than that, it wasn't much of a hassle.
You basically walk around or just let the character stand around for a few minutes, wait for some hours by sitting down and sleep for 24h.
If you build up enough lvl 3 clinics and no settler is without work, it goes up pretty fast.
Just don't leave your settlement.

Apart from that I pretty much agree with you.
The story is getting worse in the end, the fraction idea doesn't work out that well.
Especially due the fact that the quality within the fraction quest are varying way too much.
For all the steps that Bethesda took into the right direction, they also went into the wrong direction.
Just expected alot more from them.
The game lacks any form of balance, in nearly every department.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Anyone else having issues using Preston as a follower when they start the minutemen missions? Every time I talk to him now he just says "sir" and "if you ask me, freedom's always worth fighting for." I can't recruit him as a follower at all now, it seems like he might be bugged. It's kind of a bummer as I was really wanting to get all the follower based perks. Any suggestions from fellow wasteland farmers/settlers/mercenaries/vault dwellers/thieves?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That cost me about 2 hours, mainly with getting the right amount of money.
Just took alot of time to get to the NPCs and sell them shit with their low amount of bottlecaps.
Other than that, it wasn't much of a hassle.
You basically walk around or just let the character stand around for a few minutes, wait for some hours by sitting down and sleep for 24h.
If you build up enough lvl 3 clinics and no settler is without work, it goes up pretty fast.
Just don't leave your settlement.

I feel like there must be something we just don't know about this one . In the end I had about 12 level 3 clinics and it just went up soooo slowly. It must've been over an hour per point for me in the end. I'm happy to hear it's not usually as bad as it was for me though. Maybe I got something wrong but at least it did get there in the end.

GhaleonEB

So, I'm doing a quest to help out the radio jock in Diamond City. Was supposed to
help him out in a staged bar fight.
What actually happened was
I beat that guy to death with my fists, by accident - I thought I'd just knock him out. All hell breaks loose - guns, fighting everywhere. I punch one more guy down - he just gets knocked down, and that ended the brawl.

Now the bar tender is pissed because I killed someone, and I thought that would end the quest. But no, I need to hook the DJ up with a waitress.

Was that how the quest was supposed to go?

Oh, and RIP Swan. Got to test out Fat Man on him, and my only four nukes, but it was worth it. Dude had been a pest since I've been trying to do the Railroad quest.

Lanrutcon

So, I'm doing a quest to help out the radio jock in Diamond City. Was supposed to
I beat that guy to death with my fists, by accident - I thought I'd just knock him out. All hell breaks loose - guns, fighting everywhere. I punch one more guy down - he just gets knocked down, and that ended the brawl.

Now the bar tender is pissed because I killed someone, and I thought that would end the quest. But no, I need to hook the DJ up with a waitress.

Oh, and RIP Swan. Got to test out Fat Man on him, and my only four nukes, but it was worth it. Dude had been a pest since I've been trying to do the Railroad quest.

I would reload. That quest is supposed to go very differently, and there are consequences after the watress part.

Aurongel

THIS IS A WELL KNOWN BUG.

Same thing happened to me, I fixed it by reloading a save and entering his cave AFTER exiting my power armor.

GhaleonEB

I would reload. That quest is supposed to go very differently, and there are consequences after the watress part.
I'm well past where I'd want to reload - RIP Swan - are the consequences limited to this particular quest, or does it spill into other parts of the game? It feels like a filler quest so I'm not too worried about just this one, but if there are larger ramifications I might back up.

Vex_

Banned
Npc: Will you get this item for me?
Me: Yea sure... Not for free though. CHARISMA
Npc: How does 100 caps sound?
Me: not enough.CHARISMA
Npc: OK, how about 125 caps?
Me: surely this is worth more to you?CHARISMA
Npc: wow, you drive a hard bargain-- 200 caps?
Me: c'mon! I'm putting my life on the line here!CHARISMA
Npc: OK, OK! 300 caps!
Me: well I guess the super mutants are gonna have [insert item] for lunch then...CHARISMA
Npc: you're killing me here! 400, caps. And that's final! ...shit.

Me: I actually already have the item here.

Npc:

giphy.gif

Lanrutcon

I'm well past where I'd want to reload - RIP Swan - are the consequences limited to this particular quest, or does it spill into other parts of the game? It feels like a filler quest so I'm not too worried about just this one, but if there are larger ramifications I might back up.

It's a filler quest, with a twist. Do the waitress thing, tell us what happens after that. Then I'll spoil what you (potentially) missed out on.

iddqd

Got a Bug in that
Institute quest
that has you negotiate with Minute Men outside and a Scientist inside.
Mr. Science is so full of himself that he wont respond even with the giant quest marker above his head.
Reloaded some saves, nothing.
Guess I have to stop
"helping Father".

Npc: Will you get this item for me?
Me: Yea sure... Not for free though. CHARISMA
Npc: How does 100 caps sound?
Me: not enough.CHARISMA
Npc: OK, how about 125 caps?
Me: surely this is worth more to you?CHARISMA
Npc: wow, you drive a hard bargain-- 200 caps?
Me: c'mon! I'm putting my life on the line here!CHARISMA
Npc: OK, OK! 300 caps!
Me: well I guess the super mutants are gonna have [insert item] for lunch then...CHARISMA
Npc: you're killing me here! 400, caps. And that's final! ...shit.

Me: I actually already have the item here.

Npc:

giphy.gif

LOL I did that several times already.
NPCs got trolled so hard with charismatic character.

Do you know who you attacked first?there should only be one guy you fight. It may be the first person was an innocent bystander and that's why everyone got angry, the second guy you downed was the one you were supposed to fight.

If it was just a random NPC you killed you should be fine.

danowat

Banned
OK, so storytime Simon is creepy as fuck, haven't figured out what, if anything is going on here, but man, makes my skin crawl!.

ckohler

F'ck you Preston and your stupid settlement quests! I turn one in and he gives me two more! How do I make his crap stop?! I want these damn things out of my PIp Boy!

Machina

Banned
F'ck you Preston and your stupid settlement quests! I turn one in and he gives me two more! How do I make his crap stop?! I want these damn things out of my PIp Boy!

Yeah I get irritated when a big "FAILED" suddenly appears on the left of my screen because I didn't defend a settlement. I DON'T care.

Haunted

If you're bad at ignoring shitty quests in your journal, you're going to have a bad time.

Maybe there'll be a mod to hide unwanted quests in the future.

Replicant

Question: How do you know if a settler has a job? I remember giving some jobs but I forgot about it now.

Also, apart from crops and security, what other jobs can you give them?

Finally, can you give someone more than one job? I assigned Marcy to take care of the Tato, Melon, and Mutfruits. Does one cancel the other?

danowat

Banned
Yeah, they don't stop, they are radiant quests.

Question: How do you know if a settler has a job? I remember giving some jobs but I forgot about it now.

Finally, can you give someone more than one job? I assigned Marcy to take care of the Tato, Melon, and Mutfruits. Does one cancel the other?

You can't

Shops, Clincs, Bars, Food stores etc etc

No.

ckohler

If you're bad at ignoring shitty quests in your journal, you're going to have a bad time.

Maybe there'll be a mod to hide unwanted quests in the future.

If I ignore them, will they ever expire and leave my Pip Boy screen? Because if they do, I'm just going to command Preston to go to some secluded settlement never to be heard from again.

Haunted

If I ignore them, will they ever expire and leave my Pip Boy screen? Because if they do, I'm just going to command Preston to go to some secluded settlement never to be heard from again.
No, those settlers will just wait forever for your help. (If we're thinking about the same quests. Basically the settlement quests he sends you on unlock new settlement locations.)

Worse, as long as you have settlements in the game, you'll see unsolicited notifications pop up in the upper left corner every now and then "Settlement X is under attack, go help defend it", or some such.

Lanrutcon

I am pretty damn sure when the official toolkit is released the first big, must have mod is going to be Settler management.

Jintor

also i really loled at the art gallery quest.

honestly it was kinda hard to feel bad about the raider serial killer when to get to him i had to murder like 25 other raiders on the way in and all their limbs exploded off

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Just before getting the Platnum I discovered you can see what settlers are assigned to but it's a very bad system. While in workshop mode when you highlight a settler the thing they are assigned to will also be highlighted! As far as I can tell this isn't explained anywhere and it's only useful when the settler is near the thing they're assigned to (they have to be able to be on the screen at the same time). It might just be enough to save you some trouble though.

I am pretty damn sure when the official toolkit is released the first big, must have mod is going to be Settler management.

I want a mod that just automatically assigns settlers to jobs. I also want one that would make it easier to find my companions, maybe I shouldn't have sent them all to the same place.

ckohler

No, those settlers will just wait forever for your help. (If we're thinking about the same quests. Basically the settlement quests he sends you on unlock new settlement locations.)

No. The two I have are like "Ghoul Problem at Blah Blah" or "Raider Problem at Blah Blah" which are both at settlements I've already unlocked. And yet, they show up as new quests with the Minutemen Icon.

Worse, as long as you have settlements in the game, you'll see unsolicited notifications pop up in the upper left corner every now and then "Settlement X is under attack, go help defend it", or some such.

I've seen one of those already and ignored it. Those aren't as bad because they go away. The problem I have is with these stupid quests in my quest log.

Finished the game with 2 different endings over the weekend
Brotherhood Of Steel and Institute
I think the story gets weak towards the end but I had a lot of fun exploring the Commonwealth. I just need to get the benevolent leader and level 50 achievements and then I have them all.

My base is in Sanctuary. It currently has 21 people ( a mixture of settlers and unused companions), 170 defense, 49 water, 30 food and about 80 happiness. I have around 15000 caps to invest in shops. Is this enough money to buy clinics to get the last 20%? Can you reach 100% happiness with companions in your base or does it have to be all settlers?

What's the best way to rank up after you complete the game if you
sided with the institute
?

Main story ending spoilers + info on how I got a good-ish ending:

I just beat all four endings, finishing with the Minutemen as my permanent one.

I was disappointed by how similar the three non-Institute ones are, and by how little good/interesting stuff the Institute one leaves you with. I originally wanted to side with the Institute, but I ended up not doing it because of the world state it produces. I need Deacon alive so he can keep being my bartender at The Castle, and I'll take that over hanging with the Institute board any day.

Somehow I managed the right sequence of quests to allow me to remain friendly with both the Railroad and the Brotherhood, while using the Minutemen to defeat the Institute. That's by far the most appealing outcome for me, since it lets me keep doing Railroad and Brotherhood stuff + hanging with Deacon in my bar.

In case anyone is having trouble getting to a similar world state, here's roughly what I did:
- Warn the Brotherhood about Mass Fusion. It's VERY important that you only talk to Proctor Ingram. If you talk to Captain Kells, you will likely get the kill order quest and become an enemy of the Railroad.
- Collect the Mass Fusion core. Get the Ad Victorium quest, but don't do anything with it. At this point, you should also get a quest to talk to Preston.
- I also got an additional quest to inform Desdemona that my cover was blown. I opted not to complete this until after doing the rest of the below steps.
- Go talk to Preston. He may ask you to acquire more settlements before taking on the Institute.
- Enter the Institute through the tunnel Sturges discovers and storm it with the Minutemen.
- Get the Minutemen ending, while keeping the Brotherhood and the Railroad in tact. Woohoo!
- Go talk to Desdemona about your cover being blown and then talk to Preston to clean up that quest. You'll have a very odd conversation with Desdemona about how you need to find another way to defeat the Institute, despite it already being very exploded.

zerotol

Banned
also i really loled at the art gallery quest.

honestly it was kinda hard to feel bad about the raider serial killer when to get to him i had to murder like 25 other raiders on the way in and all their limbs exploded off

youre talking about the Pickman Gallery I assume. I liked that one.

dumbo

If you've assigned them to a shop, then when you highlight their character in 'build mode', the shop will also highlight. (it will also highlight their bed).

That's obviously useless unless they happen to be standing near whatever you assigned them to.

Top Bottom