• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Watevaman

I think I'm going to get all my settlements up and running and such now that I'm at the point in the main quest where I'll be diverging. I've got a few questions, so if anyone can answer these or point me to a video guide or something, I'd appreciate it.

-How do I get more people at settlements? I've had 11 at Sanctuary for the longest time, but I also never built any more beds or anything after the initial 12 (one for me). Will more people come if I increase the resources at a given settlement?

-Is the sharing of resources instantaneous once I choose someone to be a caravan? Will I be able to just start moving down my settlement chain and start building defenses with resources as soon as I pick someone to travel?

-There's no reason to build walls except to make the area look pretty right?

-What are the best areas for certain resources, like the best place to have a garden, best place for traders, etc.?

-How do I get more people at settlements? I've had 11 at Sanctuary for the longest time, but I also never built any more beds or anything after the initial 12 (one for me). Will more people come if I increase the resources at a given settlement?

Did you build a recruitment beacon? Also I believe the limit for settlers is your Charisma level (includes clothing buffs) plus 10.

I finally got a full set of X-01 Power Armor. Now I have a complete set of all of the Power Armor in the game plus a few extra frames.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Any news on a patch? Those loading times are ridiculous.

Steejee

Just about to the end of the main storyline (at level 62... yeah I've detoured a lot) and the way the faction structure is set up near the end is peeving me a little.

Endgame spoilers:
So I hit the point where I have to pick between the Institute and the Railroad, with Father pimping me up to be his replacement. During that speech you have to record you can make a very conciliatory version that basically says 'Don't be afraid of us, we just want to help humanity'. It occurred to me that there really needed to be a reconciliation ending for Railroad and Institute. Yeah they're mortal enemies when you start, but with you taking over the Institute you could totally act as a chance to reset the Institute's relationship with the Commonwealth.

Instead you basically have to carry on their fuck-everyone-else attitude just because the game had to have its cut and dry endings.

Fuck the BoS though, buncha pricks. Their extreme hatred of everything non-human lets their storyline work, even if I feel there should have been a path to work with the Minutemen better or to have the Minutemen/Commonwealth push back about murderin' everyone and everything non-human without all out war.

Basically, game needed more outcomes than it had. The endings pretty much all come down to "Murder everyone else", which is hardly nuanced. The Institute was also a bit of wasted potential for deeper storytelling.

All that being said, I enjoyed the ride, bugs and all. Probably continue playing past the end a bit to build up settlements some more and hunt down side quests, but don't know if I'll bother with any additional playthroughs until the mod tools come out.

Onward to Xenoblade X or Witcher 3 after that... I really need to stop playing giant games (I finished Saints Row 3 and Witcher 2 this year as well).

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I'm doing the quest where you
follow the freedom trail
. I did just that and ended up
at a church with a lantern at the door step
but I don't know what to do next. The door doesn't work because there is no button prompt and there is no other way inside.

Also, relating to the
Silver Shroud
quest once you've agreed
to be the Shroud
. Does this have an ending or is it repetitive?

Watevaman

I'm doing the quest where you
follow the freedom trail
. I did just that and ended up
at a church with a lantern at the door step
but I don't know what to do next. The door doesn't work because there is no button prompt and there is no other way inside.

Also, relating to the
Silver Shroud
quest once you've agreed
to be the Shroud
. Does this have an ending or is it repetitive?

The door should work for the church, you have to go in there to finish the quest.

The Shroud quest has an ending afaik.

nilbog21

Banned
Man, ever since I got to the institute I feel like I am just running back and forth between places just TALKING to people.... I just want to PLAY WTF

Most beautiful thing I've seen so far in my playthrough: a totally crippled Mirelurk Queen:
nbl3TrD.png

Watevaman

How do you get the level and resistance information to appear in VATS like that? Is it a mod or a perk?

Perk called Awareness, I believe level 3 in Perception.

edit: hey guys, is it possible to miss (certain out of this world random encounter)
the UFO crash?
I'm afraid I might have missed it because I don't remember hearing anything.

Jintor

i'm kinda peeved at how bethesda's meh writing and horrible presentation are taking away from legit cool questions about the world i think are kind of interesting

on the other hand i went to the edge of the map and saw a super mutant behemoth fighting three deathclaws, one legendary and glowing, and then nick valentine in power armour ran in and beat the shit out of the two remaining deathclaws, so that was pretty cool

Question about the Brotherhood quest line.

Can you use vertibirds as transportation? I saw some pics of someone's settlement with a vertibirds parked.

Weebos

Banned

Can you use vertibirds as transportation? I saw some pics of someone's settlement with a vertibirds parked.

You get smoke grenades that summon them for you. It said you can ride them, but I haven't actually used them yet so I don't know the details.

Perk called Awareness, I believe level 3 in Perception.

edit: hey guys, is it possible to miss (certain out of this world random encounter)
the UFO crash?
I'm afraid I might have missed it because I don't remember hearing anything.

I didn't see or hear it, but I still found it. If you wanna know how to tell if you're in the area of it:
it'll be broadcasting a strange radio signal

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

You use smoke grenades to summon a vertibird to you, which you can then use to transport you to wherever. Kind of a substitute for fast travel if you want.

R0ckman

So if I'm understanding correctly, did I shorten this play through significantly?
When I went to the Institute to meet Shaun and found out he adopted their philosophy, I said I wanted nothing to do with him or the institute and was branded as an enemy and a hostile, teamed up with the Minutemen at the Castle and about to go in to destroy them. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to having the people in their evacuate or stay behind?

Also if I make the BOS an enemy faction, do knights attack settlements are is it only in the ending when the Minutemen fight them off?

how much of the main storyline is left after
'the molecular level'
? i've read that that's a good point to hard save if you wanna redo all the missions so i'm thinking of just doing all the other quests before continuing.

1. Why do these settlers at the Settlement insist on banging on my house with hammers from sun up till sundown?

2. I've decided to stop at The Molecular level quest to try and do everything else I can before it splits which is basically what I've read on here. Will these Preston "help the settlers at __________", / Scribe Whateverhername is "find me this piece of technology" / Tinker Tom "set up a MILA here" continue on forever or will there be some stop to that eventually? Getting old and mundane real fast.

psylah

1. Why do these settlers at the Settlement insist on banging on my house with hammers from sun up till sundown?

2. I've decided to stop at The Molecular level quest to try and do everything else I can before it splits which is basically what I've read on here. Will these Preston "help the settlers at __________", / Scribe Whateverhername is "find me this piece of technology" / Tinker Tom "set up a MILA here" continue on forever or will there be some stop to that eventually? Getting old and mundane real fast.

They're busy quests / caps generators, as far as I've seen.

ezekial45

Banned
I really don't like having to dump points into certain perks to increase attack power for my weapons. I was around lvl 30 ish before I found out that you had to increase your weapon's attack power by the commando, gunslinger, rifleman, big league perks. I was really confused why my guns weren't getting stronger during the course of the game.

Once the gameplay mods come out, I hope that's the first thing to go. I'd rather they go back to scaling than what we have now.

Tunavi

Banned
Lots of people calling this game medicore and I'm sitting over here thinking it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Loving the characters, gameplay, cinematic gameplay, and exploration.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

MILA quests are limited, and I had fun with them. They force you to explore the wasteland in some interesting ways. Other ones are unlimited radiant quests.

Lots of people calling this game medicore and I'm sitting over here thinking it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Don't worry, me too. There is lots of us - but we're busy playing

There are 11 Tinker Tom MILA quests, so no, not endless.

RowdyReverb

I really don't like having to dump points into certain perks to increase attack power for my weapons. I was around lvl 30 ish before I found out that you had to increase your weapon's attack power by the commando, gunslinger, rifleman, big league perks. I was really confused why my guns weren't getting stronger during the course of the game.

Once the gameplay mods come out, I hope that's the first thing to go. I'd rather they go back to scaling than what we have now.
My problem is that I enjoy using a variety of weapons and those perks specifically discourage that. I don't want to use only rifles or only pistols or automatics because that's where I invested points. I wish it was the small guns, big guns, or energy weapons skills like it used to be.
I would even prefer additional Gun Nut ranks that let you further boost damage
I'm so sick of trying to find my way in the Institute. It's such a clusterfuck maze that makes no sense with the arrows
Have you considered the V.A.N.S. perk?

I have a bug that is making me mad.
I failed a radiant quest. 'Kidnap in Sanctuary Hills or something', a minutemen radiant. I have to talk to Preston; i talk to him, the objective greys out and then the quest keeps staying on my log as an active quest. I can't reload (hours of playthrough would be wasted). I'm on PC but console seems not to work (i found the ID on Fallout wiki). What should i do? :(

Mindman

I'm with you, brother. Opinions are just that I guess, even when it's hard to fathom why others don't share our own. :)

N° 2048

I've been very vocal in this thread, heh.
This is the best game in YEARS. But I'm also a Fallout nerd.

Hubris Comics was fuuun. Spent about an hour and a half doing my usual slow exploring. Got lots of stuff. Great place for
Silver Shroud
tidbits.

Tunavi

Banned
I've been very vocal in this thread, heh.
This is the best game in YEARS. But I'm also a Fallout nerd.

Hubris Comics was fuuun. Spent about an hour and a half doing my usual slow exploring. Got lots of stuff. Great place for
Silver Shroud
tidbits.
I've never played fallout. I feel like this was designed for me

MILA quests are limited, and I had fun with them. They force you to explore the wasteland in some interesting ways. Other ones are unlimited radiant quests.

Thank you sir. Yes, I don't mind the MILA ones so much as I've been to a few places I hadn't previously been but this settlement under attack shit is old. "As usual, I've got something else for you" Preston, I'm about to have something else for your face.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I have a bug that is making me mad.
I failed a radiant quest. 'Kidnap in Sanctuary Hills or something', a minutemen radiant. I have to talk to Preston; i talk to him, the objective greys out and then the quest keeps staying on my log as an active quest. I can't reload (hours of playthrough would be wasted). I'm on PC but console seems not to work (i found the ID on Fallout wiki). What should i do? :(
Had the same bug. Just keep playing, it will eventually disappear once you get a new quest for that area. I got lucky and mine happened within an hour.

Watevaman

Question about food and settlements: do I have to assign a settler to each food or will they work on all food within a certain area? I could've sworn I only assigned one person to food in Sanctuary.

RowdyReverb

Question about food and settlements: do I have to assign a settler to each food or will they work on all food within a certain area? I could've sworn I only assigned one person to food in Sanctuary.
The second one. I'm not sure how much food each settler can manage though, but Mutfruit for instance is more involved since each plant produces 1 (as opposed to 0.5)

Exactly what determines a settlement's happiness level? My Sanctuary constantly fluctuates around the 70-80 mark, even though I'm not changing anything. Even when I do change stuff by building more houses/beds, and planting more crops, it doesn't seem to really go up.

I've heard that some settlers may actually
be synths, which lower happiness levels, and I once came back to Sanctaury to find my turrets killing one of the settlers, who dropped a synth chip of some kind, but I can't seem to find a good way of identifying them. I once tried saving before killing everybody to see if I could identifying one that way, but it seemed there weren't any.

Also, how do I attract more settlers to settlements, once I've already placed a radio beacon at each? If I place more, does that have an effect? My charisma is 10, if that makes a difference.

Will I be introduced to each faction naturally through the story before the point-of-no-return mission is available? I want to hear each faction out before deciding who to side with.

Brotherhood spoilers.

Is there any point where I can keep Danse but murder the fuck out of Maxson? The little twat ruined what made the Eastern Brotherhood a respectable force compared to the Western Brotherhood

R0ckman

Will I be introduced to each faction naturally through the story before the point-of-no-return mission is available? I want to hear each faction out before deciding who to side with.

Yes, but despite that it seems the game was designed for you to naturally not side with the institute when you meet them, the "hear them out" dialogue for the most part felt very forced. I basically told them to **** off and immediately became a direct enemy to them with no notification beyond the dialogue. Normally the game will warn you.

Steejee

The second one. I'm not sure how much food each settler can manage though, but Mutfruit for instance is more involved since each plant produces 1 (as opposed to 0.5)

I think each settler assigned to crops is 6 food, regardless of your crop makeup (so twelve .5 value foods or six 1 value foods).

On Factions, big warning about BoS line - their point-of-no-return when you become enemies with one of the other factions has no warning. You're made hostile as soon as you go through the quest acceptance dialogue, with no option to not go hostile. It's pretty dumb considering a lot of the other faction quests give you ways out or the option to betray the quest giver in the course of the quest.

Top Bottom