• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Wow, that looks great! Are you using a mod to increase the amount of items you can place?

Still looking into that drive in on my own time.

Nope, I'm on the Xbone so no mods yet.

I made some more shots, but because my goddamn console can't sync my saves again I'm currently 'offline' again. Really don't understand how that even works, I'm connected to XBL.

void666

Banned
Is there any reason to keep doing these boring ass BoS quests to retrieve lost tech and clear out places?

Is this how I progress with BoS?

You have to progress with the main quest.

When you see
the BoS big airship arriving at the commonwealth you will get more quests from them.

ZangBa

I finished the main quest line after putting it off for awhile choosing
The Railroad
as my faction.
I wasn't a big fan of any of the factions which I personally think is a good thing, none of them seem like the "best" faction morally. The BoS were huge assholes and I got tired of their shit quick. The Institute didn't seem all that bad, but I didn't understand some things that I may have missed, like why are they replacing actual people with synths? Like the father and son at Warwick Homestead. I mostly didn't like how elitist they were but they would be my second choice probably. Minutemen are borng, I didn't even pay attention them. Some time after the ending they were having a funeral for Patriot and Desdemona gave me his suicide letter, it kinda made me realize what a shitty thing we did blowing that place up full of innocent people who probably grew up in there not knowing any better than the life they had, all to rescue synths that were apparently reprogrammed to have free will rather than designed that way. So yeah, that's why the Railroad is shitty, too. Also, why can't I send robot Shaun the my home in Diamond City? Bullshit.

Kolx

Is there something wrong with how I play the game or is finding unique sidequest in the game really hard? by unique I mean not that repetitive quests factions give you.

Is there something wrong with how I play the game or is finding unique sidequest in the game really hard? by unique I mean not that repetitive quests factions give you.

Unique side quests are found more by talking to people and wandering around. Factions just give main quests and randomized radiant quests.

mujun

Nothing wrong with how you play. It's hard.

I feel the same way.

I've looked over a list of quests briefly on a guide and there seem to be quite a few but there are so many locations and so many "clear so and so place" missions that it seems like unique and interesting missions are few and far between.

JackHerer

I got a minigun that has a 20% chance to cripple a targets leg(s). Per shot. First time I used it on a legendary Deathclaw and crippled him within 2 seconds. It works on pretty much anything but guys in power armor. Somewhat broken I think but it is fun being able to cripple everything on command.

johnsmith

remember me
There really aren't that many quests, honestly. You just explore for the sake of exploring. You might find interesting stories on terminals, or get ambushed as you're leaving a building you thought was empty. But actual quests can be pretty rare.

sappyday

did that too lol

I was getting tired of being one's puppet and since this game doesn't really have a Yes Man option I had to go that route. My character only cares for herself and her new family (all of my companions except for
Danse, Deacon, and the Courser
). We're running the show now and if you want to mess with us then try to take down our base at Spectacle Island. Me and one my companions will go out every night to get all the resources we need in order to make our Family the most dominating force of all the Commonwealth.

We are The Family.

Couldn't think of a better name.

I enjoy finding distress signals and following them to their location. I always switch of the ham radios after leaving as well. A form of closure I guess lol.

huxley00

There really aren't that many quests, honestly. You just explore for the sake of exploring. You might find interesting stories on terminals, or get ambushed as you're leaving a building you thought was empty. But actual quests can be pretty rare.

I feel like this was always kind of the case? It was always more about putting a story together based on a location you found?

Kolx

Unique side quests are found more by talking to people and wandering around. Factions just give main quests and randomized radiant quests.

This is exactly how I play the game and the way I always did with any Bethesda game except This is the first time I'm having a problem with finding sidequest.

Nothing wrong with how you play. It's hard.

I feel the same way.

I've looked over a list of quests briefly on a guide and there seem to be quite a few but there are so many locations and so many "clear so and so place" missions that it seems like unique and interesting missions are few and far between.

This is really disappointing. I can't remember whether Fallout 3 had the same problem but I'm sure I didn't have this problem with Skyrim or Fallout:NV at all. I'll probably just use a guide for sidequests and finish main quest and be done with the game.

GhaleonEB

This was one of my earliest Random Encounters, tho I arrived in time to talk with them. It begins with
the real Art pointing a weapon at S-Art and both telling you the other one is a synth. You can convince the real one to not shoot with a charisma check which leads to S-Art attacking you both as a thanks you. :p

Thanks for the background. I have a feeling I either miss a lot of these or walk in late to see them kick off. These are some of the things that makes not using fast travel worthwhile; I've run into crazy stuff going down, or small side quests popping up, on almost every trek between sites. Though, there does not appear to be a much variety as Skyrim had in that department, at least not yet.

I found an area a few days ago with a bunch of people in some kind of religious group, outside of a trailer or something. They wanted me to join up or something. I made a mental note to visit them later for a potential quest. Last night I went back and they were all dead, corpses everywhere. I'm not sure if that's a bug or an event, but they sure got very dead.

Roulette

What's with these "getting your companion perks" talks ? What ? How ?

You have to improve your relationship by doing things they like. As you get more "Companion liked/loved that" messages, your relationship improves. After you reach a certain relationship level you'll have a conversation that basically says "I like you". Then for some companions you do a loyalty quest a la Mass Effect (I don't think they all have one), then level relationship some more and when they idolise you there's another conversation. You get their perk after that.

I have three companions who idolise me right now. Once they reach that level, they can fuck off back to Sanctuary and it's on to the next one.

jesu

After messing around with my Xbox One due to it's problems with syncing saves to the cloud with other games I ended up with no saves for Fallout on my hard drive.I was gutted!
I've got them syncing again now, 7% after 15 minutes.
God I hope this works!
Fingers crossed.

Question about the various fetch quests (railroad caches/Minutemen settler help/Brotherhood quartermastery, etc.) - are they the way you can actually "CLEAR" an area that's otherwise not marked as so? Just wondering if I should actively go after 'em.

Replicant

The game overall is pretty clearly rushed and unfinished.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3vayxv/spoiler_deleted_paladin_danse_voice_lines_show_he/
Danse/Brotherhood spoilers

Yeah, there are even sound bytes of Danse confirming this scenario. Cut scenario or potential DLC? Who knows?

You have to improve your relationship by doing things they like. As you get more "Companion liked/loved that" messages, your relationship improves. After you reach a certain relationship level you'll have a conversation that basically says "I like you". Then for some companions you do a loyalty quest a la Mass Effect (I don't think they all have one), then level relationship some more and when they idolise you there's another conversation. You get their perk after that.

I have three companions who idolise me right now. Once they reach that level, they can fuck off back to Sanctuary and it's on to the next one.

Pump and dump. The Sole Survivor's way.

johnsmith

remember me
Question about the various fetch quests (railroad caches/Minutemen settler help/Brotherhood quartermastery, etc.) - are they the way you can actually "CLEAR" an area that's otherwise not marked as so? Just wondering if I should actively go after 'em.

Areas respawn with enemies eventually or by other radiant quests populating them, so there's no point in trying to clear locations. But yes supposedly some areas are only cleared (temporarily) through those quests.

After messing around with my Xbox One due to it's problems with syncing saves to the cloud with other games I ended up with no saves for Fallout on my hard drive.I was gutted!
I've got them syncing again now, 7% after 15 minutes.
God I hope this works!
Fingers crossed.

Mine started having trouble again today. Last time it happened because of an NXOE bug, I hope this one is as easily fixed.

If not, I'm moving to the PC version.

Could someone please explain to me how the hell resources and scrapping and storing shit works because I'm lost. I can't carry my resources with me because they're too heavy, I have to scrap everything manually by dumping junk in the street, and none of my resources carry over between bases when stored in the workshop. What am I missing? Is this just shit?

johnsmith

remember me
Speaking of distress signals, be careful of dropping one in a settlement and manually scrapping it. It leaves a permanent radio station you can never get rid of. I have one in Sanctuary. So annoying.

I recall on my brief first playthrough before starting over that I came across a Triggerman near Drumlin Diner telling me that someone wanted to talk to me. Does anyone know about this?

Could someone please explain to me how the hell resources and scrapping and storing shit works because I'm lost. I can't carry my resources with me because they're too heavy, I have to scrap everything manually by dumping junk in the street, and none of my resources carry over between bases when stored in the workshop. What am I missing? Is this just shit?

In your inventory, you have several classes of objects. The one marked "Junk" is where the bulk of your resources come from. You add this to a settlement by transferring all junk to any workshop in a settlement. When you're looking at a workshop inventory in one of your settlements, you'll see the option to Transfer (or Store?) All Junk. That should relieve you of having to drop junk items and scrapping them on the ground.

Other objects, such as weapons and armor (non-legendary only!), do not work this way; they must be scrapped manually. However, you don't need to drop them on the ground to do this; you can scrap weapons at any Weapons Workshop and armor at any Armor Workshop. Doing this will add the resources to your own inventory, which you can then dump back into the workshop. (I think they do it this way because many weapon/armor workshops aren't in settlements, and so they default to dumping it into your inventory instead of the workshop's?)

Resources normally don't automatically transfer between workshops, but there is a Charisma perk called Local Leader that allows you to set up supply lines using settlers. Connecting any two settlements shares the resources of both settlements. Connecting all your settlements, then, will pool all the resources you have in all your workshops. This is usually the easiest way to gain access to resources you've stored at other settlements (to the point where as soon as I get a settler in a new settlement, I have them set up a supply line).

Note that there are caveats. You won't actually see the items from other settlements inside a workshop; instead, you'll gain access to the additional materials while in build mode. You also don't gain access to any weapons, armor, or pretty much anything besides junk, crops and weapon/armor mods; those you'll have to transport manually. Finally, if you build something in a settlement, and then store it in your workshop (ex. a wooden floor, a television, a container), you'll only be able to rebuild that item in that settlement; those items don't get pooled together either.

Hopefully that all made sense! It's definitely confusing at first and Bethesda doesn't do a great job of explaining any of it. You can try referring to the Help menu when you pause the game for more tips, or if you forget some of the stuff I mentioned here.

jesu

Mine started having trouble again today. Last time it happened because of an NXOE bug, I hope this one is as easily fixed.

If not, I'm moving to the PC version.

Yeah it was to do with the NXOE bug.
Games that I hadn't played since before then still weren't syncing, so I tried the fix I found on Reddit again.
Ended up losing all my Fallout saves somehow.

Anyway syncing failed again at 18%
It did manage to retrieve 2 saves though, one from 2 levels ago.
I can live with that I think

Yeah it was to do with the NXOE bug.
Games that I hadn't played since before then still weren't syncing, so I tried the fix I found on Reddit again.
Ended up losing all my Fallout saves somehow.

Anyway syncing failed again at 18%
It did manage to retrieve 2 saves though, one from 2 levels ago.
I can live with that I think
Odds are they screwed something up on their end again, once it's fixed you should be able to download your saves without issue.

At least, I hope.

utq0nU2.png

sticker,375x360.png

Dead Man

Just about to the end of the main storyline (at level 62... yeah I've detoured a lot) and the way the faction structure is set up near the end is peeving me a little.

Endgame spoilers:
So I hit the point where I have to pick between the Institute and the Railroad, with Father pimping me up to be his replacement. During that speech you have to record you can make a very conciliatory version that basically says 'Don't be afraid of us, we just want to help humanity'. It occurred to me that there really needed to be a reconciliation ending for Railroad and Institute. Yeah they're mortal enemies when you start, but with you taking over the Institute you could totally act as a chance to reset the Institute's relationship with the Commonwealth.

Instead you basically have to carry on their fuck-everyone-else attitude just because the game had to have its cut and dry endings.

Fuck the BoS though, buncha pricks. Their extreme hatred of everything non-human lets their storyline work, even if I feel there should have been a path to work with the Minutemen better or to have the Minutemen/Commonwealth push back about murderin' everyone and everything non-human without all out war.

Basically, game needed more outcomes than it had. The endings pretty much all come down to "Murder everyone else", which is hardly nuanced. The Institute was also a bit of wasted potential for deeper storytelling.

All that being said, I enjoyed the ride, bugs and all. Probably continue playing past the end a bit to build up settlements some more and hunt down side quests, but don't know if I'll bother with any additional playthroughs until the mod tools come out.

Onward to Xenoblade X or Witcher 3 after that... I really need to stop playing giant games (I finished Saints Row 3 and Witcher 2 this year as well).

Yeah, the ending really bummed me out. I wanted to confront Father
about the abductions, I wanted to negotiate with the BoS, I wanted the Minutemen to be like an arbitration between things,
I wanted to do so much and I just couldn't. I only have done one ending personally, I'm going to roll back my saves and fuck around in the wasteland and not finish the main quest line for a very long time.

Well that looks like it's going to be my first mod for this one. Looks brilliant.

Yeah, the ending really bummed me out. I wanted to confront Father
about the abductions, I wanted to negotiate with the BoS, I wanted the Minutemen to be like an arbitration between things,
I wanted to do so much and I just couldn't. I only have done one ending personally, I'm going to roll back my saves and fuck around in the wasteland and not finish the main quest line for a very long time.

Well that looks like it's going to be my first mod for this one. Looks brilliant.

I thought you can play after the ending?

KevinG

Just to clarify, in my pursuit of the Benvolent Leader achievement, I need to maximize my charisma?

Also, I'm okay to have a few companions in the settlement? My set up is in the Drive-In.

KevinG

This looks awesome, but unless the AI is affected by the weather conditions and such, I'm not sure if I want to run it. With that radiation storm and the heavy fog, I'd expect the AI to not see me until I was maybe 20 feet from them.

That makes it like MGSV. I'm both intrigued and turned off by that notion.

N° 2048

Finally started some main story, at Reunion quest now. Fort Hagen is full of lovely loot. Another 2 hours gone exploring that place.

Top Bottom