• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

johnsmith

remember me
If I want Danse's perk, do I need to side with the brotherhood?
I am not that far in the main story and don't want to be spoiled too much, bit I have read you need to do a certain quest to get his perk and I wondered if that quest is only available if I side with the BOS.

No, you can do it while still ultimately siding with any other faction. But another faction's main questline will make it impossible to progress the BOS quest line because an important NPC will be locked into specific quest text, making progress on the BOS quests impossible. Danse's perk is tied to the main BOS quest line, and is the last one before you make another faction your permanent enemy.

Quest name and faction name spoilers only:
Do not finish Mankind Redefined for the institute, because the following quest, Mass Fusion will make completing a lot of the BOS quests impossible because Proctor Ingram will only talk about mass fusion, and will not let you proceed with the BOS quests. Mass Fusion forces you to make enemies out of either the institute or the BOS

The quest after Danse's quest will make
the railroad
your enemy with absolutely no warning or way to cancel it once you even get near a certain person.

Post-final story quest question:

so I helped the institute fuck up the BOS at the airport and sent the prydwin crashing down out of the sky with help from liberty prime. During setting all that up, I was straight up murdering a lot of high-level BOS members, including maxson. Welp, right after I uploaded the virus some courser teleported me to an island for safety. But I didnt get to loot maxson! I wanted to see his dead ass. I guess my question is this, if I go back to the airport, are there still gonna be dead bodies all over the place? I remember where I killed him, he was on the roof somehow.

I guess I could just go check for myself. Nevermind.

Moff

Quest name and faction name spoilers only:
Do not finish Mankind Redefined for the institute, because the following quest, Mass Fusion will make completing a lot of the BOS quests impossible because Proctor Ingram will only talk about mass fusion, and will not let you proceed with the BOS quests. Mass Fusion forces you to make enemies out of either the institute or the BOS

thanks for the information
you make it sound like it's a bug?
do I miss quests that way or do I simply get different quests from other factions?

johnsmith

remember me
Oh yeah, so on the 2nd playthrough I started to mess around with, I actually found tons of stuff just near sanctuary that I completely missed. A bunch of areas, and even a small quest at some Diner. This game has so much content, it's ridiculous. I should see how much you can actually do without ever meeting up with Preston and his shitty friends and if you can recruit most companions.

thanks for the information
you make it sound like it's a bug?
do I miss quests that way or do I simply get different quests from other factions?
Honestly not sure if it's a bug or not. Getting to
Mass Fusion
leap frogs you to the 3rd to last BOS mission, and I'm not sure if you go back and do the ones you skipped, including Danse's.

Basically the last quest you can safely complete for each faction
The Railroad: Boston After Dark
The Institute: Battle of Bunker Hill
BOS: Danse's quest
The quests immediately following these force you to become enemies with another faction.

Why is he Level 95 there? I thought he was around 50

Mod that scales some enemies to be 10-50 levels higher than my current level, and bosses even higher level than that when on survival difficulty. Thus why this dude is level 95 when im in my early 20's.

Three nukes didnt even kill this dude.

Jintor

i'm really beginning to hate radiant quests. at first I was like "oh it's a cool excuse to go see places i've not yet explored but:"

a) sometimes it sends you to places you've been (i've cleared fucking hubris comics like four times for various reasons)

b) most of the time there's NOTHING INTERESTING TO SEE

c) the knowledge that you're not progressing anything and it never ends is eating away at my heart

in summary: fuck radiant quests

skyhaven

Neo Member
i'm really beginning to hate radiant quests. at first I was like "oh it's a cool excuse to go see places i've not yet explored but:"

a) sometimes it sends you to places you've been (i've cleared fucking hubris comics like four times for various reasons)

b) most of the time there's NOTHING INTERESTING TO SEE

c) the knowledge that you're not progressing anything and it never ends is eating away at my heart

in summary: fuck radiant quests

You could've just ignored it the time they sent you to the same place.
I mean, what made you kept going? The EXP reward at the end of it?

BizzyBum

A small pet peeve of mine is having the same lockpicking mechanic for everything. For doors it's fine, but makes no sense for safes. Safes should have a different mini-game for unlocking them.

Jintor

You could've just ignored it the time they sent you to the same place.
I mean, what made you kept going? The EXP reward at the end of it?

i wanted a different place to go clear and there's no way to tell them to shove off and give me another place to clear besides doing the quest. hubris is pretty small anyway and i was dicking around with beating everything to death with my fists

MrDaravon

Now that I've explored everywhere etc I'm just blowing through the story missions, not sure who I want to side with though, kinda not a fan of any of the factions.

Faenix1

Somewhat related; I unwittingly blew the chance, as apparently when I became a
General in the Minutemen
, the Railroad would no longer offer me missions (not hostile, just brushed me off) I had to even the odds...if on PC by chance, the console command is 'set RailroadClothingArmorModAvailable to 1' (sans the quote marks) and you can get the ability.

I felt cheated as it was such a big upgrade, so cheating in the console didn't feel so bad. :)

WHAT?!

That's bullshit. I wonder if I have save from before I did that. God damn I'm pissed right now.'

Before I take this guys word, can anyone else confirm this?

WHAT?!

That's bullshit. I wonder if I have save from before I did that. God damn I'm pissed right now.'

Before I take this guys word, can anyone else confirm this?

If it's true, it's probably a really bizarre bug. I am also
the Minuteman general
but I did it before I ever ran into the Railroad. They still like me and offer me missions no problem. Maybe this only happens if you
become a general
after running into the Railroad, though honestly I don't see how you'd even manage to do this out of order unless you go really far out of your way to do it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
gWGr9NU.png

im level 22

giphy.gif
I beat Swan yesterday at Lvl. 18 with the Kneecapper Laser and Strong as companion. Swan didn't even leave his Pond.

So I went to Boston 3 days before Fallout 4 was released and filmed few famous spots. Despite my low level in the game I decided to go to the city to see if I can match some of the locations in the game to reality. The end effect did not meet my expectations, but still it looks pretty cool to be able to compare game to reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSddfm3PMOI

Finished Vault 95 for
Cait's
quest and holy shit. I can't wait until we finally confront Vault Tec at the heart. (I haven't finished this game so I don't know if that's a thing) Vault Tec is one of the most evil corporations I've seen in a game.

Finally decided to go get the X-01 armor and fully mod it out with a jet pack. Man its fun to traverse the city in that thing. Thankfully I saved up 50 fusion cores cuz the jet pack eats them up.

RowdyReverb

I kind of hope somebody makes a mod that lets you somehow carry power armor in your inventory like previous games. I like being able to swap gear on the fly to suit the occasion. I get why they changed it in FO4, so players wouldn't just stay in power armor for the rest of the game once they obtained it, but I'd still like the option.

johnsmith

remember me
Finished Vault 95 for
Cait's
quest and holy shit. I can't wait until we finally confront Vault Tec at the heart. (I haven't finished this game so I don't know if that's a thing) Vault Tec is one of the most evil corporations I've seen in a game.

Apparently Vault 75 is way worse. Unfortunately I missed it during my play through and ended up spoiling it on the wiki.

johnsmith

remember me
Is there some weird reason why my Sanctuary settlement keeps fluctuating between 21 and 35 people?

Settlements are buggy as hell. I've had them show 0 on the map, and of course that's not accurate. Whatever the display shows once you're actually there and have the workshop menu up should be accurate.

Jintor

Apparently Vault 75 is way worse. Unfortunately I missed it during my play through and ended up spoiling it on the wiki.

the best vault remains to this day the democracy vault in New Vegas.
Because every scientist involved predicted that the vault residents would refuse to sacrifice anybody at all and the experiment would fail/succeed immediately, proving the inherent goodness of man.

Instead it kept going for years and years and years

Vault-Tec is way better when it's pure science x the inherent nature of man, instead of the moustache-twirling super SCIENCE!!! malignity it oh so often turns out to be in the hands of lesser writers.

that said I have a soft spot in my heart for the really dumb ones, like "What if everything in this vault was settled via gambling" (result: everything kind of worked out?) and "what happens if we tag everyone with psychotropic drugs after a few days" (result: everyone went bug nuts)

Because every scientist involved predicted that the vault residents would refuse to sacrifice anybody at all and the experiment would fail/succeed immediately, proving the inherent goodness of man.

Vault-Tec is way better when it's pure science x the inherent nature of man, instead of the moustache-twirling super SCIENCE!!! malignity it oh so often turns out to be in the hands of lesser writers.

that said I have a soft spot in my heart for the really dumb ones, like "What if everything in this vault was settled via gambling" (result: everything kind of worked out?) and "what happens if we tag everyone with psychotropic drugs after a few days" (result: everyone went bug nuts)

"Garyyyyy" "Gary" "Gary!!!" "Gary"

:p

R0ckman

Me and my wife liked Vault 81,
merely because of the display of justice, the experiment preperation backfiring on the scientist killing them, thus the vault was able to be used as adevertise.

Is there really no way to store Power Armour frames? I've already stored the armour pieces and the fusion cores on the Prydwen. Is it ok to just leave the frame at the PA station on board?

Faenix1

If it's true, it's probably a really bizarre bug. I am also
the Minuteman general
but I did it before I ever ran into the Railroad. They still like me and offer me missions no problem. Maybe this only happens if you
become a general
after running into the Railroad, though honestly I don't see how you'd even manage to do this out of order unless you go really far out of your way to do it.

I've mostly avoided any and all faction/main quests and this morning decided I'd start getting prestons companion perk. Turns out it's screwed me out of something I wanted so now I gotta revert some ways.

Really not happy right now.

GhaleonEB

Second day in a row of having a plan (do a main quest step) and getting side tracked along the way. Today, it was finding some Treasures (which was awesome) and Pickman, who is a scholar and a gentleman.
I saved him and let him reward me. His thank you note was cute.

Neither ended how I thought they would, but both were fun and much more substantial than I thought either would be. And neither was an actual quest, just a misc. task.

I'm very apprehensive about joining any factions. Can someone in a non-spoilery way tell me whether I get stuck in any of them? I'm playing a lone wanderer type, but want to do some of their quests. Ideally, I'd like to just kill them all, but I'll settle for making enemies of the Brotherhood.

Xeteh

I'm very apprehensive about joining any factions. Can someone in a non-spoilery way tell me whether I get stuck in any of them? I'm playing a lone wanderer type, but want to do some of their quests. Ideally, I'd like to just kill them all, but I'll settle for making enemies of the Brotherhood.

As far as I know there is a point in the main story when you need to associate with a faction to progress, I don't think it is possible to do so on your own. I can't be entirely sure on that because the couple times I got to that point I had associated with at least two of them in some respect and none of my options for that quest were "do your own thing". The game is also very clear when you're about to make permanent enemies with a faction, though I think Minutemen will always be friendly.

Edit: Yeah, I just looked up the quest and it seems the branches for it all require a faction. Though at that point it isn't going to make enemies anywhere.

GhaleonEB

As far as I know there is a point in the main story when you need to associate with a faction to progress, I don't think it is possible to do so on your own. I can't be entirely sure on that because the couple times I got to that point I had associated with at least two of them in some respect and none of my options for that quest were "do your own thing". The game is also very clear when you're about to make permanent enemies with a faction, though I think Minutemen will always be friendly.

Edit: Yeah, I just looked up the quest and it seems the branches for it all require a faction. Though at that point it isn't going to make enemies anywhere.

If I align with one, can I back out later? So if I join the Brotherhood, how locked into them am I? From what you've said I'm assuming I can align with a different one at that point in the story, and get out of the BoS?

Xeteh

If I align with one, can I back out later? So if I join the Brotherhood, how locked into them am I? From what you've said I'm assuming I can align with a different one at that point in the story, and get out of the BoS?

I don't have a great answer for this. I know once you decide which faction to push past that quest with you can still interact with other factions. Like if you picked Minutemen you could still do the side stuff with the Brotherhood but I can't say for certain if you can then hop on the Brotherhood's main story questline or if you'd be locked in to the Minutemen's. I never tried and this wiki isn't saying one way or the other.

Jintor

well, i finally advanced my story beats a bit more, and i have to say - I'm actually kind of impressed with this new environment and the overall change of tone we have here.

The institute design is pretty wicked sick and an amazing change from the wastelands. It's like I stepped into mass effect

You can join all the factions. I can give you a list of mission names not to finish if you like. Finishing any of the missions will end up with you having at least one of the factions becoming hostile with no option to go back.

You can join all the factions. I can give you a list of mission names not to finish if you like. Finishing any of the missions will end up with you having at least one of the factions becoming hostile with no option to go back.

But you get a warning before such deciding missions. I got one when I started doing more and more missions for another faction, but sided with the BoS before (e.g. getting my own power armor from them etc.)..

CeeSaw

Just finished the game and pretty happy with the game overall. Thought the ending seemed a little bad though and didn't seem to really reflect my decisions throughout the game as much as past entries. Here is hoping Obsidian gets another chance to tackle the wasteland.

Here's to next time
screenshot-original2gqmr.png

But you get a warning before such deciding missions. I got one when I started doing more and more missions for another faction, but sided with the BoS before (e.g. getting my own power armor from them etc.)..
You only get a prompt on screen for one of them. Its pretty obvious for the other times but there isnt always an on screen prompt. Just the one between BoS and
institute.

Just finished the game and pretty happy with the game overall. Thought the ending seemed a little bad though and didn't seem to really reflect my decisions throughout the game as much as past entries. Here is hoping Obsidian gets another chance to tackle the wasteland.

Here's to next time
screenshot-original2gqmr.png

L. Ron Hancock over there lol.

Also in other news, I found a set of 4 tapes called Dear Detective in a sewer dungeon that had a bunch of elaborately arranged corpses... Well that whole thing was appropriately terrifying at 2 am. The voice actor did his best Bufallo Bill impersonation and it was actually quiet weird and genuinely creepy.

Top Bottom