• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

MrDaravon

To get the that
Minutemen
ending:

Basically anytime after the point where you beam into the Institute and do the network scan you can jump back onto the Minutemen ending path by going hostile with the Institute. Just killing people in the Institute, or blatantly betraying them in one of their quests will do the trick. You'll get the final few Minutemen quests from there. They actually have by far the shortest path to an ending, it's just you don't realize you can end up with them since they don't breadcrumb their path and are more of a minor faction in a way than anyone else.

I opted to do them last and make theirs the 'after-ending gameplay' faction due to the world state they leave things in being the most agreeable to me.

On home bases: I've mostly abandoned Sanctuary and intend to strip it down to a pretty bare bones locale. Castle has been built up pretty well, and I think I'm going to do the Drive-In and Slog as well. After that I'll probably hang the game up until the mod tools come out.

Minutemen aren't a true fourth faction.
That's just the ending that you get in the event that you don't actually pick a faction. It's kind of the selfish/fuck everyone else ending. And it's just about as nonsensical as any of the other ones

Yeah, I might wind up doing this, not sure. Should be done with the 3rd faction in a few minutes here. I kept a save before hitting the point of no return with all 3 factions, and also am keeping a save post-game with all 3. I already have the world fully explored etc so I just completely blew through all of the quests so I wouldn't lose a TON of actual time/progress by doing so, but just not sure if I want to bother right now. Approaching 200 hours with the game, kinda just want to be done with it, might just sit on doing anything until DLC hits and I'll decide then. For now I'll wrap this up and get a post-game save for this faction, re-load that first save before anyone gets locked out and find the 5 bobbleheads I'm missing just to knock that out and then be done until DLC hits. I need to cross-reference the guide or a wiki to see if I missed and map locations as well as find out which magazines I'm missing (which is going to suck, missing ~24) but not sure if I'm going to do that now or wait until I come back for DLC.

For anyone who has gone for the
Minutemen
ending how does the game handle the other remaining factions? If you're still friendly with both do you still have full access to everything, can get their repeatable/radiant quests etc?

Very noob like questions.

I'm attempting to build my base at red rocket truck stop.

I have one recruitment radio beacon but only one settler. Should I be getting more than just one?

Some items such as a water purifier need water nearby, but at my base there's no water, is there a way to use it still?

There's no dog kennel in the workshop from my quick browse through of items, or have I missed it?

Roni

Gold Member
Played for almost 150 hours, finished the game, engaged with all benevolent factions substantially, explored some 220 locations, got the best gear in the game, crafted the rest.

I've pretty much given up on my main save, which is on Survival, because I'm too OP with the gear I'm sporting. But I know that if I drop into that save and wander around some more I will stumble upon something new I've never seen before.

That's value...

Maligna

Banned
Is there any "sexy" clothing besides the red dress and the sequined dress? Anything with more than a +2 charisma boost?

giphy.gif

Very noob like questions.

I'm attempting to build my base at red rocket truck stop.

I have one recruitment radio beacon but only one settler. Should I be getting more than just one? Yes, it'll take some time or not much time. It's a bit random for me.

Some items such as a water purifier need water nearby, but at my base there's no water, is there a way to use it still? You have to make alot of water pumps to make your settlements the least bit happy

There's no dog kennel in the workshop from my quick browse through of items, or have I missed it? You missed it. I don't quite remember where it is but it's there either under decorations-misc or furniture-misc

Hope that helps bro.

I also would like to know if there are anymore sexy clothing lol. I do like the ridiculous summer shorts though.
Agathas Dress
is okay.

Steejee

I think I finally concluded what really let me down about the
Institute
story and the lack of quality writing that really could have made it good:

So, you have the Institute, around since barely after the war, advanced science, akin to a Vault in isolation, and one day they are able to create something that is 100% indistinguishable from a real human outside of an autopsy (they actually mention the autopsy bit at some point in the game). In other words, you've built *a human from scratch*.

If the story had been further expanded on, you could have on the one side the people on the outside, fearing an invasion of the body snatchers situation, with paranoia gone rampant. Quests to 'investigate' citizens of the Commonwealth, with no true means to find out if someone is real or a replacement and the reality that you could be wrong in your judgement. Building internal strife, the Brotherhood both trying to sniff out the institute but failing horribly, and the grim realization that the Institute could press its will upon the Commonwealth without anyone being able to counter.

On the other, you have an organization that knows and sees they're removing real live human beings and swapping in their creations. Internally they struggle with this reality, having never expected to create something as 'perfect' as the Gen 3s. Many scientists are uncomfortable with this course, torn between the belief that the Gen 3s+ could save humanity and the realization they're destroying lives in what amounts to an experiment. Some factions see the Gen 3s as little more than tools, others see them as more. Drop the Railroad as a faction, and make it part of the Institute itself - a group of dissenters who feel they're betraying the very ideals the Institute was built upon. A conflict that doesn't involve blowing the crap out of everything, but rather of what it even means to be Human when the world has ended.

In short, on the outside build an environment of paranoia and a questioning of 'If we can't even tell we're being replaced, aren't they human?'.

On the inside, an environment of doubt, remorse, and uncertainty. A leader who knows nothing of the outside, tech that could truly save the world but is kept internal, and a creation that raises the question of whether or not humanity is necessary, or even desirable, if a identical in many, superior in others being could inherit the Commonwealth.

In the end, nothing of all that really came through. Sure there was a quest or two that talked about 'are they or aren't they' Synth, but after that one guy was gunned down in Diamond City I felt like it just wasn't there. You get to the Institute and Father and the other Scientists barely touch on any of the morality of what they're doing, and you aren't able to ask. They see the Synths as pure machine, save for Patriot, and he's barely a character.

Bethesda created a wonderful playground, made the FPS side way better than FO3, with a lot of little stories told through the environment and terminals, and then completely dropped the ball on the big story. This shit should have basically been Blade Runner, but it never came close. I still had tons of fun with the game, but it just made me wonder what good storytellers could have done with it.

As a finalish thought, as someone who has lived in Boston for a decade, I did like their take on it. I don't know what research went into the game, but a lot of the locations felt like they had been designed by someone who had actually been there at least once, and wanted to capture the essence of what they saw in a twisted but appropriate way.

Now, for FO5 or FO4.5, please, for the love of all things holy, move on from the 'Wastleland' aesthetic if you're going to go 200 years in the future in a place that should be green. New England, and most everything Virgina north should be a dense forest by the time of FO4, and that would have been faaaaar more interesting visually than the 'Lets copy/paste the Mojave over' portrayal it got.

Faenix1

Is there any "sexy" clothing besides the red dress and the sequined dress? Anything with more than a +2 charisma boost?

If you find out let me know.

Cause I've yet to find anything "sexy", especially something that I can put armour on. Cait's corset is probably the only thing remotely close in that category.

Can't believe they make armour customization and yet it's so limited it makes you wonder why they even bothered.

Fafnir

Grognak's costume is probably the "sexiest" in Hubris Comics. There is an reward outfit that gives +3 CHR at the end of the Trinity Tower quest.

Cause I've yet to find anything "sexy", especially something that I can put armour on. Cait's corset is probably the only thing remotely close in that category.

Can't believe they make armour customization and yet it's so limited it makes you wonder why they even bothered.

There is PC mod that let's you mod and wear any armor. There are tons of clipping on outfits so I can see why they only let a few outfits be customizable as they didn't want to work on so many outfit and armor combos.

Basketball

There is a lady you can pickpocket for her dress in the Memory Den in Good Neighbor

but yeah the game lacks in that category plus weapon variety etc

mods when

MrDaravon

Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive list of locations in the game, or can at least verify the final # of map locations (as per the stats screen)? I thought I was fairly thorough and I'm at
299-301
depending on which save I load, but I see posts from a couple weeks back on reddit from a few people saying they where way higher,
with people posting anywhere from 315 up to a couple people saying 340-344
which is crazytown to me considering I got most of the bobbleheads and about 80% of the magazines with my current count >_>. I found a interactive map but it's dated right after the game launched so I'm not sure if it's accurate, and I found a separate interactive one on one of the wikis but it can be edited, and it has a ton of markers people have edited in for locations that aren't on the map and don't "count" so that doesn't do me much good. If nothing else I'll just use the foldout map the guide came with tomorrow I guess, hope that it's accurate. Pretty much all I've got left is to uncover any missing map locations and my missing magazines. Have all of the trophies now except the 100% Settlement one and weirdly the grenade pickpocketing one, but that's because I never use sneak and that one isn't doable without having two ranks in that perk so I'll have to spend my next two level ups on that I guess. Looking around it seems like people have found "easier" ways to do the settlement one that only take like....2 hours instead of 3-4+ so I might actually go for that, we'll see. Honestly curious if they're going to patch or do something with that one, all of the methods require tons of level 3 Clinics which I can't imagine is the intention.

Moff

Two things.

Thing one: the quest at the Museum of Witchcraft was pretty cool.
I totally had to cheese the deathclaw, tossing mines and rockets then fleeing back down the stairs. It was a one-hit kill to me and took an absolute pounding, good grief. I returned the egg and was so happy when the deathclaw there went non-hostile. Great ending to the quest. For a moment I entertained the thought of a deathclaw companion and it was almost to great to bear.

Thing two: I just woke up in my house with a raider shooting at me as I got out of bed. How do I prevent this?

I hoped there would be more consequences to that quest,
as in deathclaws are no longer hostile towards you.
but yes, definitely a memorable quest, like most deathclaws, the one at the witchcraft museum could easily be killed by simply standing behind the open door and shooting it, it can't get through.

speaking of which, is there a collection somewhere with quests that could be considered memorable highlights? maybe I missed some. I am talking about stuff like vault 81 or the USS constitution

GhaleonEB

So, I did the mission to move the Minutemen to Sanctuary back when I first started playing. Since I have to align to a faction eventually, I decided to join them, but for the life of me I can't find the leader in the hat. IIRC he left Sanctuary (I sure can't find him there) but I can't remember where he's at now and the wiki's I'm finding don't specify where he is between missions. Anyone remember?

speaking of which, is there a collection somewhere with quests that could be considered memorable highlights? maybe I missed some. I am talking about stuff like vault 81 or the USS constitution

The quest set in the Cambridge Polymer Labs is so far, the highlight of the game to me.

Faenix1

There is PC mod that let's you mod and wear any armor. There are tons of clipping on outfits so I can see why they only let a few outfits be customizable as they didn't want to work on so many outfit and armor combos.

Then they shouldnt of bothered, honestly. That or they should of made more stuff ballistic weaveable.

Wouldnt of been hard to make decent thin clothing that's actually good. So tired of my vault 111 jumpsuit but nothing really compares to it statwise - at least nothing I find.

So, I did the mission to move the Minutemen to Sanctuary back when I first started playing. Since I have to align to a faction eventually, I decided to join them, but for the life of me I can't find the leader in the hat. IIRC he left Sanctuary (I sure can't find him there) but I can't remember where he's at now and the wiki's I'm finding don't specify where he is between missions. Anyone remember?
The Castle? It's to the South East of Boston City near the coast. You should have a quest called Taking Independance. That's the only reason Garvey would leave Sanctuary.

MrDaravon

So, I did the mission to move the Minutemen to Sanctuary back when I first started playing. Since I have to align to a faction eventually, I decided to join them, but for the life of me I can't find the leader in the hat. IIRC he left Sanctuary (I sure can't find him there) but I can't remember where he's at now and the wiki's I'm finding don't specify where he is between missions. Anyone remember?.

I've never not had him be there. Did you send him to another Settlement when you picked up a different companion maybe?

Welcome to the hell that is playing these games on consoles where we can't fix broken/stupid shit like this :/

GhaleonEB

The Castle? It's to the South East of Boston City near the coast. You should have a quest called Taking Independance. That's the only reason Garvey would leave Sanctuary.

I've never not had him be there. Did you send him to another Settlement when you picked up a different companion maybe?

Welcome to the hell that is playing these games on consoles where we can't fix broken/stupid shit like this :/

I never started that quest or took him as a companion, so I'll head back and double check Sanctuary. I went house to house twice and couldn't find him. :\

Edit: and found him, wandering in the middle of the river south of Sanctuary. Weirdo.

Thank you both.

I think I finally concluded what really let me down about the
Institute
story and the lack of quality writing that really could have made it good:

So, you have the Institute, around since barely after the war, advanced science, akin to a Vault in isolation, and one day they are able to create something that is 100% indistinguishable from a real human outside of an autopsy (they actually mention the autopsy bit at some point in the game). In other words, you've built *a human from scratch*.

If the story had been further expanded on, you could have on the one side the people on the outside, fearing an invasion of the body snatchers situation, with paranoia gone rampant. Quests to 'investigate' citizens of the Commonwealth, with no true means to find out if someone is real or a replacement and the reality that you could be wrong in your judgement. Building internal strife, the Brotherhood both trying to sniff out the institute but failing horribly, and the grim realization that the Institute could press its will upon the Commonwealth without anyone being able to counter.

On the other, you have an organization that knows and sees they're removing real live human beings and swapping in their creations. Internally they struggle with this reality, having never expected to create something as 'perfect' as the Gen 3s. Many scientists are uncomfortable with this course, torn between the belief that the Gen 3s+ could save humanity and the realization they're destroying lives in what amounts to an experiment. Some factions see the Gen 3s as little more than tools, others see them as more. Drop the Railroad as a faction, and make it part of the Institute itself - a group of dissenters who feel they're betraying the very ideals the Institute was built upon. A conflict that doesn't involve blowing the crap out of everything, but rather of what it even means to be Human when the world has ended.

In short, on the outside build an environment of paranoia and a questioning of 'If we can't even tell we're being replaced, aren't they human?'.

On the inside, an environment of doubt, remorse, and uncertainty. A leader who knows nothing of the outside, tech that could truly save the world but is kept internal, and a creation that raises the question of whether or not humanity is necessary, or even desirable, if a identical in many, superior in others being could inherit the Commonwealth.

In the end, nothing of all that really came through. Sure there was a quest or two that talked about 'are they or aren't they' Synth, but after that one guy was gunned down in Diamond City I felt like it just wasn't there. You get to the Institute and Father and the other Scientists barely touch on any of the morality of what they're doing, and you aren't able to ask. They see the Synths as pure machine, save for Patriot, and he's barely a character.

Bethesda created a wonderful playground, made the FPS side way better than FO3, with a lot of little stories told through the environment and terminals, and then completely dropped the ball on the big story. This shit should have basically been Blade Runner, but it never came close. I still had tons of fun with the game, but it just made me wonder what good storytellers could have done with it.

As a finalish thought, as someone who has lived in Boston for a decade, I did like their take on it. I don't know what research went into the game, but a lot of the locations felt like they had been designed by someone who had actually been there at least once, and wanted to capture the essence of what they saw in a twisted but appropriate way.

Now, for FO5 or FO4.5, please, for the love of all things holy, move on from the 'Wastleland' aesthetic if you're going to go 200 years in the future in a place that should be green. New England, and most everything Virgina north should be a dense forest by the time of FO4, and that would have been faaaaar more interesting visually than the 'Lets copy/paste the Mojave over' portrayal it got.

Yeah, so far for me that's what I feel about it too. They tried to go for something deeper and more meaningful but fell short.

I for one, would like them to come on over here, the Midwest. Giant tornadoes, blizzards, and tons of lakes (that we can hopefully actually catch fish Bethesda lol). I wouldn't mind having water-based settlements with the likes of boats and rafts to travel from lake to lake. I don't know how the Midwest is doing lore-wise though.

Welp, hit my first (That I've noticed) quest bug. Since I have Hancock as an option for a companion, I can't finish the Silver Shroud quest since talking to him just brings up dialogue about becoming a companion.

TessRoye

Welp, hit my first (That I've noticed) quest bug. Since I have Hancock as an option for a companion, I can't finish the Silver Shroud quest since talking to him just brings up dialogue about becoming a companion.

I had this issue too, I did something like take Hancock as companion then dismiss him and that got me the option to talk to him for Silver Shroud.

Chitown B

tagged.

I can talk to her and get through the mission end dialogue, but I can't fast travel and he keeps trying to kill me. I remember distinctly during
the final attack on the institute that he was in the way when I was shooting and I shot him a bunch so he turned red, but then he wasn't around that I noticed. Then he pops up during the teleport like that.

ended up replaying the final
Railroad battle. Made sure not to shoot ZI-14. The issue I think is that in Desmonda's (sp?) dialogue she talks to him after her other stuff she says to you. So if he's hostile her dialog can't complete and it won't let you fast travel.

All good now. Almost 49.5

BizzyBum

>"don't put the warhead in before the dampening coil"
>game gives me the option to put the warhead in before the dampening coil
>mfw

4b88b3ed2994ed1

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I never started that quest or took him as a companion, so I'll head back and double check Sanctuary. I went house to house twice and couldn't find him. :\

Edit: and found him, wandering in the middle of the river south of Sanctuary. Weirdo.

Thank you both.

I remember you not liking the game initially - what caused the change? Just curious. It clicked for me at a certain point, too.

johnsmith

remember me
God I can't wait for someone to make a clean faces mod. It's driving me nuts that every settler has a filthy face. WE'RE DROWNING IN PURIFIED WATER! USE SOME OF IT ON YOUR STINKIN' FACE!

Lanrutcon

God I can't wait for someone to make a clean faces mod. It's driving me nuts that every settler has a filthy face. WE'RE DROWNING IN PURIFIED WATER! USE SOME OF IT ON YOUR STINKIN' FACE!

I can't remember the last time I had clean fingernails.

HOW ABOUT YOU CHECK STORAGE
WE HAVE 197 PURIFIED WATER
OUR DEFENSIVE WALL CONSISTS OF 43 PURIFIERS
GO WASH YOUR HANDS

GhaleonEB

I remember you not liking the game initially - what caused the change? Just curious. It clicked for me at a certain point, too.

Right now I'm enjoying exploring the world a great deal, and customizing my gear. I still loathe the real time combat and use VATS for all but long range sniping; pumping up the stat that gives me more AP helped in that department. And I'm constantly frustrated by the limitations on role playing. In Bethesda's games I tend to play a loner who finds his/her own way through the world. With Fallout I find I'm constantly being pushed to play in ways I don't want to. I just want to have a base to myself and not have companions or building thrust upon me, and those things are pushed hard left and right (as is joining a faction, which I didn't want to do on my first play through, but it seems I have to). Those things combined with the combat early on to really frustrated me. I didn't like playing it, and I couldn't role play the way I want. (Shockingly bad dialogue / quest options in the mix as well.)

Eventually I found a shack I could use as a base, figured out how to string some lights up, and worked on customizing my gear. I also finally pumped AP up enough that I got around the crappy combat via VATS, for the most part, and that helped it click.

I'm not nearly as enamored with this game as I was with Skyrim. I had plans to do what I did with that game, and build multiple characters who have different play styles and who undertake different types of quests (I build a stealth character for Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, a melee brawler for Companions, a particular type of wizard for Mages Guild, etc.). Right now I'm a rifle/sniper/stealth build, forgoing heavy weapons and armor; I'd planned a second character to be bruiser who would really specialize is heavy weapons all around. But I'm increasingly thinking I'll just roll one character through and call it good. It just takes too long to get spun up in Fallout 4, and I have enough problems with it that I think one play through of the story will suffice. (Which, come to think of it, is all I did with Fallout 3 as well.)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Nearing lvl 25 and I am still exploring the map. One question, related to BoS quests:
where can I get more quests from them? Completed the Lost patrol...

When does Preston stop giving you the same quest over and over again? I've done the 'go help a settlement deal with raiders/bugs/ghouls' shtick so many times and the same goes for 'clear this area and set up a beacon'. I swear I've done them repeatedly so many times and the fact the dialogue gets repeated just makes the missions dull and cheap.

Maligna

Banned

Where can I find this?

Denzar

Has this game been patched on PC? I'm hearing new music tracks I haven't heard in the 50 hours I spent playing the game, and the framerate seems to hold steady in downtown Boston now.

Song goes something like this "Stay stay and have a good time. You don't have to pay pay. The pleasure is mine". Googled it and found nothing.

I can't remember the last time I had clean fingernails.

HOW ABOUT YOU CHECK STORAGE
WE HAVE 197 PURIFIED WATER
OUR DEFENSIVE WALL CONSISTS OF 43 PURIFIERS
GO WASH YOUR HANDS

Not only purified water, but I got 20+ bars of soap in storage, and each house has a bath tub...............NO EXCUSE!!!

And what bothers me is seeing that one vendor alexis in vault 81 with a dirty face, although they have perfectly working showers with soap.........shes the only one in there with a dirty face.
BITCH!! TAKE A SHOWER WITH YO NASTY ASS!!!

lolololol, let me stop. ha ha

El Jaffe

Where can I find this?
It's not clothing you can,find it the wild, it's only
found on a companion you can find, and then have them equip different clothes so you can take it from them

You can find
her at the Battle Zone south of Bunker Hill

Lagamorph

Finished the story
following the institute route. The ending seemed completely and utterly underwhelming, there was absolutely nothing about the aftermath of your actions and it seems like the ending sequence would be identical no matter which faction you completed it with. Complete and utter step backwards from New Vegas in that regard.
I recall some early criticism that the game more or less forces you to be
a goody two shoes, but I didn't get that at all. If anything, there didn't seem to really be any 'good guy' route you could follow. Whatever you did, you're gonna have to fuck with someone who could be considered 'good guys'.
Bethesda also seemed to completely fuck up the
Brotherhood of Steel. The Brotherhood who showed up in the Commonwealth were behaving like the original West Coast brotherhood, wanting to hoard technology all for themselves even if it meant taking it by force from other people. The Capital Wasteland Brotherhood from Fallout 3 though went against this as they wanted to specifically use technology to help the people of the wasteland and share the benefits with everyone. That was the whole point of the Brotherhood Outcasts. It's like Bethesda completely forgot about how they changed the Brotherhood in 3 and just went back to the status quo for them.

Finished the story
following the institute route. The ending seemed completely and utterly underwhelming, there was absolutely nothing about the aftermath of your actions and it seems like the ending sequence would be identical no matter which faction you completed it with. Complete and utter step backwards from New Vegas in that regard.
I recall some early criticism that the game more or less forces you to be
a goody two shoes, but I didn't get that at all. If anything, there didn't seem to really be any 'good guy' route you could follow. Whatever you did, you're gonna have to fuck with someone who could be considered 'good guys'.
Bethesda also seemed to completely fuck up the
Brotherhood of Steel. The Brotherhood who showed up in the Commonwealth were behaving like the original West Coast brotherhood, wanting to hoard technology all for themselves even if it meant taking it by force from other people. The Capital Wasteland Brotherhood from Fallout 3 though went against this as they wanted to specifically use technology to help the people of the wasteland and share the benefits with everyone. That was the whole point of the Brotherhood Outcasts. It's like Bethesda completely forgot about how they changed the Brotherhood in 3 and just went back to the status quo for them.

Givven that the Fallout purists wanted
the douchebag Brotherhood
to return, this is a nod to them that Bethesda did.

Matty8787

Has this game been patched on PC? I'm hearing new music tracks I haven't heard in the 50 hours I spent playing the game, and the framerate seems to hold steady in downtown Boston now.

Song goes something like this "Stay stay and have a good time. You don't have to pay pay. The pleasure is mine". Googled it and found nothing.

Yeah, seems that way.

I get a constant 60+fps now in and around Diamond City.

The soundtrack changes at least once due to in-game events.
Three or four new tracks get added when you meet Miranda, the singer at The Third Rail in Goodneigbour. They're all originals made for Fallout 4, and all are sung by the voice actor playing Miranda, Wonder Woman. Er, I mean Lynda Carter. Also, if you got back to The Third Rail, you can get her to sing the new songs in the bar.

Where can I find this?

It's Cait's default outfit.

Top Bottom