• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Hahs

What do they want me to do here?

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

They won't let me build a 10 power generator even though I have the parts and perks, and connecting it to the big generator in back doesn't work. Half an hour into this and I still don't know what they are asking me to do.

This is the kind of crap I mentioned on the last page. I have *zero* interest in building things in this game but it's forced on me with regularity. Build your own goddamn generator!

Edit: and with that, I'm done with Fallout 4.
A bit redundant by now I'm sure, but just in case:

Build an array of generators - (four 3 power or two 5 power)

Lanrutcon

The Map is big but yeah Skyrim was far superior in terms of exploration, especially making your way up mountains etc.

Still well worth your time getting to places and seeing what happened to them.

My other complaint apart from the ending as you said was the lack of variety in enemies. I was quite happy when I met the Forge as they offered something different in terms of human opponents.

I miss Centuars

I miss the ants, strangely enough. I always had fun looking for queens.

I have experienced the most saddest story in the Commonwealth. I'm pretty sure it was random but I feel bad.

I went to Good neighbour and met the
vault tech salesman
in the hotel. I felt bad for him and said he can live in Sanctuary. He was over the moon and I promised I would visit.

I left good neighbour and saw him run towards Sanctuary.... BOOOOM... He had walked on a landmine near the Gunners location and it killed him. I didn't have the heart to loot his corpse. Feels ba so full of hope and for what? To be destroyed by a random mine

I think I can do one better. (extremely minor spoiler)

I ran into a dog named Teddy who was trapped in a locked cage for some reason. Some hunters came and took offense, but Teddy and I took 'em out. Then Teddy started running down the road, and it turned out he was going home! He arrived at this small shack by a pond, and while I was talking to his owner we were attacked by raiders. Long story short, I found Teddy's body underneath a tree by the pond. You were home for all of two minutes!

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

They won't let me build a 10 power generator even though I have the parts and perks, and connecting it to the big generator in back doesn't work. Half an hour into this and I still don't know what they are asking me to do.

This is the kind of crap I mentioned on the last page. I have *zero* interest in building things in this game but it's forced on me with regularity. Build your own goddamn generator!

You can just build two generators and connect them to create more power. It's pretty simple.

If I'm honest, kinda baffling that that's where you decide to call it quits. Though I've been saddened to see it just not clicking with you.

BizzyBum

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

lol I'm not gonna lie I got kinda stuck there, too. I didn't realize at the time you needed 10 power so I built one small generator and it didn't work. I watched a YouTube video explaining you could link two large generators worth 5 each to create enough power.

Pretty lame excuse to stop playing, though. I took it as a learning experience. Now I knew about the different power generators and that I could link them together.

Beat the game earlier today. About 6 days and 12 hours in-game total playtime, with all achievements and quests completed. Got 4 different save files for each ending post-game.

It's been a blast but now I'm glad I can finally move on to a bunch of other good games that have come out.

Looking forward to the DLC/post-release content.

Hahs

I wish there was better settler management UI. The game does a really poor job at explaining to you how settlements work.
Agreed - only recently did I find out that you can store your wires if you screw up the conduit/switch/generator positioning and decide to store them for some reason - otherwise they're ( the copper wire) destroyed when whatever they're connected to is stored/replaced.

( no more wasted copper).

copying and pasting my post from steamgaf:

damn man, I know its an odd thing to complain about since i already put 71 hrs into it but god damn fallout 4 is casualized beyond belief. its barely an rpg now. there are little to no quests, for the past 3 days I went out exploring to try and find some non faction quests but no luck, and then locations have no story to them whatsoever like fo3 and nv did. in those 2 you'd go to a building and right from the get go you'd find a note or terminal about someone who was there before, (s)he could have been from the world before the bombs or someone that was there a month before you. I've found like a total of 5 of those in fo4. I'm not even gonna mention the new garbage dialogue system cause its been discussed 100s of times, but if it wasn't obvious enough, its garbage. I hope its dropped after this game but I doubt that since voiced protag is what the mainstream wants no matter how much it hurts the final product. I think I'm just gonna wrap up the main story and wait till mods come out. its not a bad, its just not the game I wanted, instead its something else using the fallout name.

I really do hope that SOME studio is working on a spinoff like new vegas and that one is an actual sequel to fo3/nv as in its an RPG first and foremost. It doesn't have to be Obsidian, i mean it would be nice if it was but I want an actual fallout rpg, not what we got in 4.

Ok, so you can get Codsworth to join you without recruiting Preston. You just need to visit Concord, but you don't even need to even meet up with him, just the outskirts are enough, as long as you unlock it on your map. Not only that, but you can grab the minigun and the power armor by jumping over from the Church roof.

Also, fuck you too, game. Have yet to get a good legendary weapon on my survival run.
H7Ypunc.png

I got a gamma gun that does 50% more "damage" to ghouls

Replicant

Why do these raiders insist on attacking me?

I would have left them alone if they didn't start shooting at me while I was trying to deal with a Legendary Mirelurk Killclaw and other Mirelurk assholes but since they shot first, I have no choice but to blow their heads off to smithereens along with the other delicious softshell crabs.

Ah well, at least I got a free Shotgun with Frozen damage from the Legendary Mirelurk Killclaw.

EDIT: the amount of Legendary creatures coming after my ass is getting higher and higher. I don't understand why. Is the chance of encounter increasing with your level increase or something? I'm only playing on Normal too.

The settlement part of the game can seriously go fuck itself overall. The building is fun, but everything else related to it feels slapped together. I get a "defend" warning while at a certain story significant place (can't leave the location at the time), walk through a single door, then get a message about how the defense failed. My population went from 20+ to 7 (companions staying there), and of course everything is broke. Forget that I have over 200 defense.

Replicant

The settlement part of the game can seriously go fuck itself overall. The building is fun, but everything else related to it feels slapped together. I get a "defend" warning while at a certain story significant place (can't leave the location at the time), walk through a single door, then get a message about how the defense failed. My population went from 20+ to 7 (companions staying there), and of course everything is broke. Forget that I have over 200 defense.

That is fucked up. brb, equipping every settler with high-end weapons and armors. FFS, I didn't want to do this for those who are not supply line workers but it sounds like I need to.

What's more fucked up is that sometimes you didn't get a warning at all. I once teleported into a Settlement of 4 poor family members in the midst of being attacked by 4-5 Radscorpions. If I wasn't there, they'd probably be dead. I swear I didn't get any warning at all.

Aces&Eights

Hmm, so after clearing an area enemies respawn. This is fine but since it doesn't say area cleared after they do I have no idea when looking at my map if I have already cleared it once. Is there a way to track it? I want to clear every area once but that's it. Looking at my map I can not remember if I've already done it.

That is fucked up. brb, equipping every settler with high-end weapons and armors. FFS, I didn't want to do this for those who are not supply line workers but it sounds like I need to.

What's more fucked up is that sometimes you didn't get a warning at all. I once teleported into a Settlement of 4 poor family members in the midst of being attacked by 4-5 Radscorpions. If I wasn't there, they'd probably be dead. I swear I didn't get any warning at all.

Heh, I gave my people combat armor (Gunners drop so much that I didn't have a use for it) and assault rifles, miniguns, sniper rifles, etc. The game just doesn't take into account any of that. If you don't show up to help, they fail. Silly.

Got 1000/1000 tonight.

That Benevolent Leader cheevo was annoying. Probably would have just settled for 980/1000 if it wasn't for that TrueAchievements tutorial.

There's something cool there with the settlements, but the UI is clunky and the whole system is unrefined. Maybe talented modders can make something of it.

Hero

Just got the Platinum trophy for my playthrough.

No specific spoilers but tagging it anyway:

Really disappointed in the last bit of the game. It LITERALLY is "choose one faction and murder the others."

Terrible, awful, and lazy.

r1chard

Finally pushed through my apathy and finished the main story yesterday. And still feel utterly apathetic about it. Just over 100 hours play time and I couldn't side with my preferred faction (Minutemen) at the end, and my only other option (Railroad) are hinting strongly that something's gonna have to be done about the Minutemen... Ugh. And the ending was *so* lazy. Will probably keep tooling around in various bits, since I don't really have anything else to play right now, but since it's just going to be more of the same... 100 hours, just hoping that something new might happen, and nothing really ever does.

KILL

LOOT

RETURN

Is there an easier way to build? On PC with controller. It's so frustrating sometimes to do walls. No, I don't want the wall to keep going straight I want to make a right angle and a corner with it dammit!

So then why not have
the Brotherhood that turns up be the remnants that avoided being wiped out in the war with the NCR? Can easily say they found the Prydwen on the journey east. If they wanted to go with the classic Brotherhood they should've avoided the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood altogether.

Classic
Brotherhood would never have been involved so openly. The whole point of the brotherhood was its secrecy, it wasn't some massive army that invaded territories. FO3 changed them completely to be the super heroic army for the people, this is seems to be them trying to fix how squeaky clean they made them out to be in 3. Almost all factions in fallout have had negative aspects and never purely good, but it was a drastic change in 3 for them to have done that with the BoS

Chitown B

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

there are few of these situations. This one is just having to build enough generators to connect them all together and create 10 power, to connect to the one that it's pointing to

lol I'm not gonna lie I got kinda stuck there, too. I didn't realize at the time you needed 10 power so I built one small generator and it didn't work. I watched a YouTube video explaining you could link two large generators worth 5 each to create enough power.

Pretty lame excuse to stop playing, though. I took it as a learning experience. Now I knew about the different power generators and that I could link them together.

if you go into Build Mode and hover over any item it'll say how many power it needs.

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

just to mention, i finished the quest related to this a few hours ago. but what i did was, i just went there, without green-lighting the quest, & completed the other stuff involved beforehand. then, when i got back to garvey, & he asked me if i was ready to go, one of my reply options was 'i already took care of it'. dude was pretty damn impressed :) ...

anyway, don't let something like this wreck the whole game for you - there's too much fun left to be had...

Arkanius

Fallout 4 has the best combat gameplay of any Fallout until now.
The questlines and story is bare bones though. Just finished the Main Quest, and what a disapointment. I also tried to do most of the Faction sidequests but there is no depth at all. It's just kill X, retrieve Y, talk to Z.

It feels like playing WoW

Spyware

Is there an easier way to build? On PC with controller. It's so frustrating sometimes to do walls. No, I don't want the wall to keep going straight I want to make a right angle and a corner with it dammit!
Are you building on any type of floor? If so you can move so that the wall is behind you and aim for the floor. It won't snap to what it can't see (still a bit tricky sometimes tho). Even easier is building the second story floor or roof and use that to snap the wall to. It usually chooses to snap to that if you aim at it, even if the rest of the wall is visible. At least that's how I remember it behaving.

Fallout 4 has the best combat gameplay of any Fallout until now.
The questlines and story is bare bones though. Just finished the Main Quest, and what a disapointment. I also tried to do most of the Faction sidequests but there is no depth at all. It's just kill X, retrieve Y, talk to Z.

It feels like playing WoW

id sacrifice the gameplay and go back to NV gameplay if it meant better quests and story, i actually had no beef with the gameplay in nv, i actually liked it.

Is the locations of skill magazines set or is it random? Will an issue of Hot Rods always be in the same location for everyone? Getting tired of my Shark and Flames paintjobs.

MrDaravon

For anyone who has gone for the
Minutemen
ending how does the game handle the other remaining factions? If you're still friendly with both do you still have full access to everything, can get their repeatable/radiant quests etc?

Anyone? I went back to my "master" save I did before you lock out any factions and grabbed all of the Bobbleheads/locations/magazines I was missing. Only meaningful thing I have left other than the 100% Happiness trophy is to get the companion perks I'm missing (which is most of them) and ideally I'd like to get their affinities up while knocking out the radiant quests for the two factions post-game but wondering how/if that works.

Alternatively if there's a trick or anything that someone's found to boost companion affinities on PS4 (no console commands available) I'm all ears lol.

Watevaman

Having the Lone Wanderer perk makes me feel like a completely different character than I was for my first 50 hours. Almost every location, I'm grabbing every single thing, then when I've cleared the location I'll fast travel back to Sanctuary and scrap/deposit everything. I have so many materials now I don't know what do with them.

Anyone? I went back to my "master" save I did before you lock out any factions and grabbed all of the Bobbleheads/locations/magazines I was missing. Only meaningful thing I have left other than the 100% Happiness trophy is to get the companion perks I'm missing (which is most of them) and ideally I'd like to get their affinities up while knocking out the radiant quests for the two factions post-game but wondering how/if that works.

Alternatively if there's a trick or anything that someone's found to boost companion affinities on PS4 (no console commands available) I'm all ears lol.

Sorry dude, I haven't played since a couple of days ago so I haven't been able to proceed yet.

There is one trick for companions that like stealing. Go to the warehouses in Goodneighbor and start stealing stuff and abuse quicksaving. Abusing the qucksaves will reset the timer for companion likes. I don't know for other characters though. Supposedly one can call all settlers with the bell and then attack dogmeat until you can stimpak dogmeat. Then quicksave abuse again. Again, I don't know if that applies to all companions.

johnsmith

remember me
So with my 2nd playthrough, and not feeling like redoing his quest, I realize that pre-quest Travis is the superior Travis. He's actually hilarious. Post-quest Travis is "cool" but boring.

MrDaravon

Sorry dude, I haven't played since a couple of days ago so I haven't been able to proceed yet.

There is one trick for companions that like stealing. Go to the warehouses in Goodneighbor and start stealing stuff and abuse quicksaving. Abusing the qucksaves will reset the timer for companion likes. I don't know for other characters though. Supposedly one can call all settlers with the bell and then attack dogmeat until you can stimpak dogmeat. Then quicksave abuse again. Again, I don't know if that applies to all companions.

I looked around a bit, apparently in order to keep both
the Brotherhood and the Railroad
available you have to progress to a very specific point in the BoS storyline than do some diverging stuff, someone made a specific detailed post in the spoiler thread on here about it. If you google it or look online most posts/guides just reference that if you do the
Minutemen
ending only the
Railroad
is still around which correct if you do the ending at any other point in time. I just tried doing the
Minutemen
ending by while being only very early on in the BoS questline (just before you get access to the ship) and BoS isn't hostile, but I just can't interact with them anymore; it immediately failed the current BoS quest I had active, but it didn't fail the radiant BoS quests I had going, but I can't interact with the givers anymore, if I try to talk to them or Danse just nothing happens.

I might try tomorrow to advance the BoS far enough to try to get this to work but I think I'll hold off and be done with the game for now and wait for DLC. The way people are getting this to work seems almost glitchy or not intended honestly, especially with how easily it broke for me. Half thinking they might patch or do something with the endings to offer a diplomatic or compromise option with two factions based on how pretty much no one is happy at all with one of the three, as well as the other two being mutually exclusive/locked. Also would be curious to see if they do anything about Settlements; it's already completely broken for me since with no proper interface on console I have people on trade routes that I literally cannot find so I cannot re-assign them or do anything with them, along with a million other fucking complaints I have with the POS Settlement system on console. Even just making all resources available at any Workbench would have gone miles to alleviate a lot of my complaints with it.

So yeah I think I'm done for now at 172 hours on my final master save, with all three of the other main factions having post-game saves (which only took an extra 30-60 minutes or so since I just blew through all of the quests). My master save has all locations, Bobbleheads, and all but 3 magazines done.

Was gonna do a long post-game write-up but not even worth it honestly, the tl;dr version is that this is the best 3/5 game I've probably ever played lol. Story was terrible, the disconnect with the narrative as well as how time has passed within the game world (even within it's own logic) is awful, the FPS drops on console in some areas is atrocious, and the Settlement system is done incredibly poorly and drops the game a full point for me from 4/5 to 3/5 since it permuates so many things (makes everything in the game useful but then that becomes an inventory issue etc). On the other hand it's still a big world with a ton of shit to do, the shooting is much better (but not great) and hilarious stuff can still happen randomly in the world. They've got to tighten some things up as well as move to a new engine for the next game though. Fallout 3 and to an extent New Vegas I think got a pass on a lot of things because it was very different and new in a lot of ways (especially for people like me who play on consoles and never played 1/2), but seeing a lot of the same problems and in some ways going even more backwards in 4 was incredibly disappointing. Had a decent time with it since I'm OCD and love exploring worlds like this, but if I could go back in time I wouldn't do it again honestly. Right now Fallout 5 is not a day one purchase for me, at all. If it's just another Fallout 4 it would have to do something incredibly different with it's setting or something for me to tolerate a lot of this stuff again.

So with my 2nd playthrough, and not feeling like redoing his quest, I realize that pre-quest Travis is the superior Travis. He's actually hilarious. Post-quest Travis is "cool" but boring.

This is how I felt as soon as I did that quest. Too abrupt a change for my tastes, and nervous Travis is more likable. Though I am glad
he got the girl at least

Random question about a quest (relates to Underground Undercover):

I built the teleporter with the Minutemen, and so the network scanner holotape I got is from them. The Brotherhood wants the holotape for their own purposes. When I talk to Tinker Tom to try and start Underground Undercover, he wants the holotape as well. Is there any way to give the holotape to all three? I've already gotten the tape back from Sturgis, so that's no problem, but it sounds like if I give the tape to the Railroad first the network scan might be destroyed? But I don't know if I'll be able to get the holotape back from the Brotherhood.

Aurongel

Beat the game, ending was lame, pretty much done until the DLC.

I think having more story-focused DLC's where they can focus on what the main game lacks is a pretty obvious path to improvement for them.

johnsmith

remember me
This is how I felt as soon as I did that quest. Too abrupt a change for my tastes, and nervous Travis is more likable. Though I am glad
he got the girl at least

Random question about a quest (relates to Underground Undercover):

I built the teleporter with the Minutemen, and so the network scanner holotape I got is from them. The Brotherhood wants the holotape for their own purposes. When I talk to Tinker Tom to try and start Underground Undercover, he wants the holotape as well. Is there any way to give the holotape to all three? I've already gotten the tape back from Sturgis, so that's no problem, but it sounds like if I give the tape to the Railroad first the network scan might be destroyed? But I don't know if I'll be able to get the holotape back from the Brotherhood.

Yes you can get the it back from Ingram if you give it to the BOS.

r1chard

That was actually one of the things that annoyed me the most about the main storyline. You do all that with the Minutemen, including doing the
scan for them, and handing them the results
, and then you go back to them and ... nothing. So the Minutemen are
all perfectly happy to just leave the Institute at that?!

So I did the B
attle of Bunker Hill
quest... but I don't think it was working right because none of the factions were hostile to me even though I was pretty openly killing some of them. Even weirder, when I went back to the basement everyone just spontaneously dropped dead.

EDIT: Okay, so looking at some posts on Reddit, this is pretty much how the quest is supposed to go if you haven't pissed off any factions. That's just really stupid.

Top Bottom