• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

I feel like all of my weapons don't do a lot of damage. I have been modding a lot of them and they all end up around the 100-120 damage range. So do I have to buy higher damage weapons or something? Or do I have to hope I get a good drop from a legendary?

Steejee

That fucking dialogue section when you meet the institute. Fucking hell, Bethesda. There are like, 30 pertinent things that you want to ask and the presented dialogue options amount to 'no no we just have a bad reputation JOIN JOIN JOIN'. You can tell how much thought they'd given that conversation (read: none) from the way you can't call the Institute out on ANYTHING.

I replied with my 12 gauge.

I was tempted to go on a murder spree immediately at first, but wanted to see the story play out in hopes there'd be a lot more to it than that first conversation had.

They really could have made the Institute incredibly interesting and built off the terror and paranoia that they supposedly instilled in everyone, but instead they were a pretty bog standard 'Science gone amok' group with very little variation among the people there. The only way I could justify their route was that I figured
once I took over I could remold them into a good citizen of the Commonwealth, but that was basically inventing an ending for them that had very little to build from outside of the choices you could make when recording the speech.

Near the end, when Father gave you his reasoning for letting you out, I just went 'That's it? That's why you let me out, you were basically just bored?' and was looking forward to blowing them up in the other three endings.

Maybe they should have gone whole-hog pure evil with them, like 'Yeah we're evil, what of it?' and not tried at all to justify their actions. Maybe cast them as being founded by Vault-Tec

Chitown B

Might wanna tag that with ending spoilers, just in case.

That is weird as hell, though.
You can't talk to Desdemona while he's down?

At this point I'd suggest reverting to a save before you started the mission. Clearly something went terribly, terribly wrong.

tagged.

I can talk to her and get through the mission end dialogue, but I can't fast travel and he keeps trying to kill me. I remember distinctly during
the final attack on the institute that he was in the way when I was shooting and I shot him a bunch so he turned red, but then he wasn't around that I noticed. Then he pops up during the teleport like that.

N° 2048

It says a lot that I had no idea Playstation Experience was today lol. All I can think of is what to do in Fallout 4 when I get home :p

joecanada

Ok, so you can get Codsworth to join you without recruiting Preston. You just need to visit Concord, but you don't even need to even meet up with him, just the outskirts are enough, as long as you unlock it on your map. Not only that, but you can grab the minigun and the power armor by jumping over from the Church roof.

Also, fuck you too, game. Have yet to get a good legendary weapon on my survival run.
H7Ypunc.png

Ahaha that's hilarious. I actually haven't found too many good legendary weapons but one is all I need... I got an extra projectile gauss rifle which pretty much broke the game....

Questions - does anyone else barricade their power Armour so the settlers don't steal it? Lol

Is it okay to fill your magazine rack, bovblehead stand? I mean you still get perks right?

Last is there a way to ever stop settlement protection? The game has a glitch where it will say your beds or def is low and then you fast travel and it's back to normal...
I've got 50 + def at all settlement but they are still bring attacked, kidnapped, etc... It's all I can do to keep up! I could literally do nothing else

Morts

Ugh, I reloaded some earlier saves and my Underground Undercover quest is still bugged.
It seems the only way I can progress is to switch sides and kill Desdemona.
Really makes me not want to play anymore.

mxgt

Banned
Ugh, I reloaded some earlier saves and my Underground Undercover quest is still bugged.
It seems the only way I can progress is to switch sides and kill Desdemona.
Really makes me not want to play anymore.

Are you on PC? can use console commands to load the next quest point. I had to do it a few times to save me going back a few hours.

Watevaman

I feel like all of my weapons don't do a lot of damage. I have been modding a lot of them and they all end up around the 100-120 damage range. So do I have to buy higher damage weapons or something? Or do I have to hope I get a good drop from a legendary?

You get there eventually with high damage guns. Depending on what type of guns you're investing perks in (rifles, pistols, heavy weapons), there's different guns you can buy that are pretty good. I find Legendary drops to be pretty shitty, but then again most of my drops have been armor.

Beefy

So I finally can get rid of Macready. I have Cait and Curie to choose from who is better?

May have to stop using my fire damage shot gun. It lags the game out bad when two or more people are on fire.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Where is everyones "main base"?

My main base was at Sanctuary, but I recently moved to Red Rocket. Way cleaner without all the broken houses, but still close. Really like some of the other settlements, though.

So I finally can get rid of Macready. I have Cait and Curie to choose from who is better?

May have to stop using my fire damage shot gun. It lags the game out bad when two or more people are on fire.

I loved both. After maxing everyone, I'll probably stick with Curie. Really enjoyed her character. Cait was a beast in combat, though.

johnsmith

remember me
Curie is the best. She's so cute and least judgmental. Especially after Cait constantly complaining every time you pick up junk.

"and all the little things go in baggies for evidence"

Nick's probably the least annoying of the male companions.

TyrantII

Gotta say the subway system is pretty disappointing. Every station is basically a self contained dungeon, even though Boston has tons of active and inactive subway tunnels and the big dig and harbor tunnels to boot.

In FO3, spelunking around the subway system to get from A to B was one of my favorite things. Doesn't seem possible this time.

Is it just me, or is the VATS shot/killcam just a lot crappier this time around? I went back to 3/NV fairly recently, and it's still satisfying to watch that slow motion head shot etc. But FO4 I swear more often than not the camera is clipping through the guy I'm killing, or the shot is framed in such a way that you can't even see what's happening. This definitely happened in the past games but it seems so much more frequent here.

TyrantII

Is it just me, or is the VATS shot/killcam just a lot crappier this time around? I went back to 3/NV fairly recently, and it's still satisfying to watch that slow motion head shot etc. But FO4 I swear more often than not the camera is clipping through the guy I'm killing, or the shot is framed in such a way that you can't even see what's happening. This definitely happened in the past games but it seems so much more frequent here.

Yeah, noticing that as well. Or it switching at the wrong time

r1chard

Is there a way to turn the Mass Pike Interchange into a settlement? I can't even see a way to get up to the upper deck...

RowdyReverb

Which damage buff skill are you all dumping points into? Once I get level 4 science, armorer, and gun nut I plan on focusing on one of them. I was thinking Rifleman, but I really like Deliverer as my close range utility weapon.

Xeteh

Is there a way to turn the Mass Pike Interchange into a settlement? I can't even see a way to get up to the upper deck...

I don't think so, without console commands that is. Look for some wires hanging down from the side, there's a lift somewhere around there.

Replicant

The Forged was okay. It was a bit hard at the beginning with that flame thrower guy. But the minute I threw Cryo bomb at him, everything turns the other way around. Then my SS and Nick were the two who were carrying the flamer and burnt everyone of those fuckers to C.R.I.S.P.

Then there's Slag, who's the 2nd hardest obstacle. I was going to steal his Power Armor but it seems my pickpocketing ability was too low so that ended up in a prolong battle. But much to my surprise that Mighty...Power (I call it Mighty Power Ranger) submachine gun was the one that stopped him in his track. Mind you, he was brutal.

I used 2 stimpacks + 1 Stealth boy but I didn't have to fetch my Power Armor all the way back from Red Rocket or waste a Fatman on him. I got his t45e chest plate and the rest seems to be Raider-made arm and leg Power Armor attachments. I can't get the frame but it doesn't matter since I have empty frame to spare at Red Rocket. I don't think you can get the frame anyway since it's stuck on him.

And oh, Jake is safe so that's good since that's the hardest thing to get.

Beefy

The Forged was okay. It was a bit hard at the beginning with that flame thrower guy. But the minute I threw Cryo bomb at him, everything turns the other way around. Then my SS and Nick were the two who were carrying the flamer and burnt everyone of those fuckers to C.R.I.S.P.

Then there's Slag, who's the 2nd hardest obstacle. I was going to steal his Power Armor but it seems my pickpocketing ability was too low so that ended up in a prolong battle. But much to my surprise that Mighty...Power (I call it Mighty Power Ranger) submachine gun was the one that stopped him in his track. Mind you, he was brutal.

I used 2 stimpacks + 1 Stealth boy but I didn't have to fetch my Power Armor all the way back from Red Rocket or waste a Fatman on him. I got his t45e chest plate and the rest seems to be Raider-made arm and leg Power Armor attachments. I can't get the frame but it doesn't matter since I have empty frame to spare at Red Rocket. I don't think you can get the frame anyway since it's stuck on him.

And oh, Jake is safe so that's good since that's the hardest thing to get.

Might want to spoiler that? or are spoilers allowed now?

joecanada

Where is everyones "main base"?

My main base was at Sanctuary, but I recently moved to Red Rocket. Way cleaner without all the broken houses, but still close. Really like some of the other settlements, though.

I loved both. After maxing everyone, I'll probably stick with Curie. Really enjoyed her character. Cait was a beast in combat, though.

I use sanctuary but recently built a water treatment plant at nordhagen beach thanks to a poster here for mentioning it.

Once you figure out how to build up any place can be nice lighthouse or covenant or starlight etc. Hate the open ones though they need a fence!!!

Also Holy shit at rocket turrets.
" what was that " a settler exclaimed...
Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh...

" uh I'm not sure what that pile of random bodyparts there used to be "

Giever

Which damage buff skill are you all dumping points into? Once I get level 4 science, armorer, and gun nut I plan on focusing on one of them. I was thinking Rifleman, but I really like Deliverer as my close range utility weapon.

I like Rifleman because it adds some armor penetration, and it applies to the Gauss Rifle.

t-ramp

I've been putting points into Agility, since there are some perks there that seem like they'll make the Deliverer incredible. Especially the one that makes every hit after the 3rd or so a critical, since that gun can queue a ton of shots in VATS.

MrDaravon

Wrapping up the endings (using the pstrophies guide with the manual saves), so far the endings have been fucking terrible lol. The
Institute
storyline and ending doesn't even make sense. Looking back a page or two you can apparently go with the
Minutemen
as a final faction? I had no idea. About to do the third faction's ending stuff, so far not sure who I want to go with either, kinda don't like anyone.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's everyone's Top 5 Diamond City track list? Mine:

1. The End of the World by Skeeter Davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_4cnUhQ6rs

2. Crawl Out Through The Fallout by Sheldon Allman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPzICHxXoQ

3. Anything Goes by Cole Porter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aeQ3DmKU7A

4. Orange Colored Sky by Nat King Cole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAyLV2SNo48

4. It's All Over But the Crying by The Ink Spots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSK-1guFLDk
end of the world is #1 for me as well. the bridge:
I wake up in the morning and I wonder
Why everything's the same as it was
I can't understand, no, I can't understand
How life goes on the way it does
Really sums up a lot of the themes I have come across in my playthrough. Great song.

120v

i hardly ever listen to the radio, which i did 90% of the time in the last games. the OST really delivered here

can't wait for the radio mods to rollout though

I did all of them for the endings, but really you can tell long before the points of no return for each faction if you can go with their ideology or not.

One of my biggest gripes with the
Institute
faction line is that there's about a billion things you should be asking them before you join up, but it's all just ignored and glossed over. BoS make their genocide-everything-not-human stance pretty clear, and the Minutemen are a straightforward local friendly militia type - I don't recall them doing anything remotely evil, or even that dark-side-of-grey.

Yea, I could tell..... My RPing is just undecided lol. It's going to be weird once I settle with one of the three bigger factions since I can't justify joining them hah.

I did get to that point that you are talking about.... Yea, all I wanted to know was what, why, how, when, where, etc. but like you said they are all ignored and you just have those simple choices and then bam, please join because
I'm your son and you can be ruling these dirty wastelanders with me
..... Uh no thanks. Sorry if I spoiled joining the
Minuteman
to the dude who didn't know. I figured everybody knew since you meet them so early.

I don't necessarily have a mainbase since I use all my settlements but I am thinking of building schematics for a mainbase. The base that I use the most is The Slog since they have a pool! Sanctuary is pretty cool since it is surrounded by a river, Starlight is huge and awesome, I really like The Taffington Bathhouse; a house with a pier near the river, there are alot of good places to call my mainbase lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
did many other people turn the music off completely?

Steejee

Wrapping up the endings (using the pstrophies guide with the manual saves), so far the endings have been fucking terrible lol. The
Institute
storyline and ending doesn't even make sense. Looking back a page or two you can apparently go with the
Minutemen
as a final faction? I had no idea. About to do the third faction's ending stuff, so far not sure who I want to go with either, kinda don't like anyone.

To get the that
Minutemen
ending:

Basically anytime after the point where you beam into the Institute and do the network scan you can jump back onto the Minutemen ending path by going hostile with the Institute. Just killing people in the Institute, or blatantly betraying them in one of their quests will do the trick. You'll get the final few Minutemen quests from there. They actually have by far the shortest path to an ending, it's just you don't realize you can end up with them since they don't breadcrumb their path and are more of a minor faction in a way than anyone else.

I opted to do them last and make theirs the 'after-ending gameplay' faction due to the world state they leave things in being the most agreeable to me.

On home bases: I've mostly abandoned Sanctuary and intend to strip it down to a pretty bare bones locale. Castle has been built up pretty well, and I think I'm going to do the Drive-In and Slog as well. After that I'll probably hang the game up until the mod tools come out.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Institute
Minutemen

Minutemen aren't a true fourth faction.
That's just the ending that you get in the event that you don't actually pick a faction. It's kind of the selfish/fuck everyone else ending. And it's just about as nonsensical as any of the other ones

GhaleonEB

Two things.

Thing one: the quest at the Museum of Witchcraft was pretty cool.
I totally had to cheese the deathclaw, tossing mines and rockets then fleeing back down the stairs. It was a one-hit kill to me and took an absolute pounding, good grief. I returned the egg and was so happy when the deathclaw there went non-hostile. Great ending to the quest. For a moment I entertained the thought of a deathclaw companion and it was almost to great to bear.

Thing two: I just woke up in my house with a raider shooting at me as I got out of bed. How do I prevent this?

I pretty much abandoned Sanctuary as well to have The Castle as my home base. Now that I finally have Local Leader 2 I can start building other settlements, starting with the Drive-In.

Steejee

Minutemen aren't a true fourth faction.
That's just the ending that you get in the event that you don't actually pick a faction. It's kind of the selfish/fuck everyone else ending. And it's just about as nonsensical as any of the other ones

Eh, I didn't think theirs was nonsensical, it made s a lot of sense in a provincial leave-us-the-fuck-alone sorta way. Boston does have a very provincial reputation after all, so that rather fits, just in a more violent fashion =)

Granted there was far less story in the Minutemen path, but given the writing on the other paths perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Top Bottom