• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Beefy

Finished the story
following the institute route. The ending seemed completely and utterly underwhelming, there was absolutely nothing about the aftermath of your actions and it seems like the ending sequence would be identical no matter which faction you completed it with. Complete and utter step backwards from New Vegas in that regard.
I recall some early criticism that the game more or less forces you to be
a goody two shoes, but I didn't get that at all. If anything, there didn't seem to really be any 'good guy' route you could follow. Whatever you did, you're gonna have to fuck with someone who could be considered 'good guys'.
Bethesda also seemed to completely fuck up the
Brotherhood of Steel. The Brotherhood who showed up in the Commonwealth were behaving like the original West Coast brotherhood, wanting to hoard technology all for themselves even if it meant taking it by force from other people. The Capital Wasteland Brotherhood from Fallout 3 though went against this as they wanted to specifically use technology to help the people of the wasteland and share the benefits with everyone. That was the whole point of the Brotherhood Outcasts. It's like Bethesda completely forgot about how they changed the Brotherhood in 3 and just went back to the status quo for them.

BoS
have always been assholes. Bethesda just messed them up in FO3.

Also, finished the main quest with the Brotherhood. I feel I've played enough of the game to give my final impressions of the game.

Pros:
-Best combat I've ever seen in a Bethesda game
-Better enemy AI, though still needs a lot of work
-Companions actually have personality now, they have their own side quests too! (Cait is bae)
-Fantastic open world, a lot of interesting locations as usual for Bethesda
-Customization of weapons is great
-Morally grey (for the most part) factions
-Bespoke side quests are very good
-Settlement construction is amazing, really spent hours building my own little towns
-Branching faction quest lines, you will have to make a choice eventually and there's no going back

Cons:
-The ending was an anticlimactic letdown. No ending slides telling you the effects of what you did like Dragon Age Origins or New Vegas
-More railroading of the character's personality, my character, Chloe was always this caring mother when mentioning her son when in gameplay terms she really didn't give a shit, for example
-Not enough bespoke quests, too many Radiant ones, same problem as Skyrim
-Not enough weapon variety, too many pipe guns, they look stupid, give me my AK-47s and M16s back
-Would have liked to see more of the pre war world, start progressed too quickly
-Not enough companion side quests
-Dialogue system
-SPECIAL choices aren't that important

Final score =8/10, FO4 is a very good game and I don't regret the purchase. I would rank it as highly as Skyrim in my estimation, it's problems prevent it from going even higher IMO, such a shame. Hopefully mods will make it live up to it's true potential. In a way, I'm glad that this didn't win GOTY and lost to Witcher 3, since it gives Bethesda greater impetus to improve much, much more and really up the ante for the next Elder Scrolls.

Lagamorph

Givven that the Fallout purists wanted
the douchebag Brotherhood
to return, this is a nod to them that Bethesda did.

BoS
have always been assholes. Bethesda just messed them up in FO3.
So then why not have
the Brotherhood that turns up be the remnants that avoided being wiped out in the war with the NCR? Can easily say they found the Prydwen on the journey east. If they wanted to go with the classic Brotherhood they should've avoided the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood altogether.

Griss

So I just started this about 3 days ago, having avoided most info other than changes to the core mechanics (like the dialogue system). I reckon I've put about 6 hours in.

I've got to say, it has been tremendously underwhelming so far. I mean, really underwhelming. I love exploring open worlds and Bethesda's take on them in particular, so I'm having a measure of fun anyway, but where I was expecting a generation leap from the last 2 Fallout games I feel like it has almost regressed.

Some quick takes:
-The opening felt super rushed, and 'odd' in tone. So much crazy shit happens in 10 minutes without the time to process it, and the characters don't react realistically (or emotionally) to any of it at all. Just two fades to a 'two weeks later' screen to break up the massive events that were occuring would have improved the entire thing.

-You really feel railroaded into setting up Sanctuary and meeting Dogmeat and the Minutemen at first. I tried to go off the beaten path but struggled finding ammo and supplies, so it felt clear that the game wants to establish you as the big swinging dick of your corner of the map immediately. 'General', lol. Kinda weird to me.

-So then I say 'fuck sanctuary' and run down to the south of the map from from my base and found that the map is way smaller than I was expecting. And there was very little interesting along the way, too. Worst of all I got caught up in a maze of invisible walls at the south of the map that seemed to be placed completely arbitrarily. What I've experienced of the map is far below the standard of Fallout 3 and 4. I haven't seen Diamond City yet, but the wasteland itself seems like a duller retread of Fallout 3.

-The new dialogue system is terrible. End of. The missions so far have been really dull 'clear this area' stuff. No interesting characters whatsoever so far.

-The main character is a boring, milquetoast dude whose presence means I can't really roleplay the game. This guy is so goddamned bland that he might as well not be there... so why the hell is he there? The conversations are nowhere near as well done as the likes of Mass Effect or the Witcher 3 so they should have just left him out.

-Lots of the tutorials were poor, popping up and going away while your attention is focussed elsewhere, on a conversation or battle etc. As a result I had no idea how to build things at the workshop for ages. Once I got the hang of it I have to admit it works better than I expected. But I just don't play a game like this for base-building.

-There are some small but important 'quality-of-life' improvements like how you loot people and containers, and the Borderlands influence with weapons and legendary enemies is well implemented but other than that it plays the exact same.

-There are moments when the game looks great (when the godrays are filtering through an environment) but overall I'm shocked at how shoddy it looks. The texturing is appalling, especially on the front of buildings - the windows are low-res textures, for fuck's sake. The facial animation is laughable. The LOD draw distance is an obvious line on the floor that moves ahead of you as you move. It's just... not good.

I'm sure people have made these points before and been arguing over them since release - I just arrived at this conversation as I just started the game and I know this is already OT2. But right now I'm just shocked at how little Bethesda has improved the game in the 7 years since Fallout 3. I mean, 7 years! In particular, it already seems like a massive step back from New Vegas in writing (plot set-up and characters) map design, dialogue, player options and other things. And at the same time, not nearly the advance I was expecting in graphics, animation, level-of-detail draw distance and lack of bugs (I've encountered plenty already). Even the retention of the songs from Fallout 3 gives the feeling you're playing an expansion as much as any kind of leap forward.

Hopefully this will be a Witcher 3 scenario when I look back and say 'Remember when I didn't like the first 6 hours of this GOTY contender? Boy things changed...'

Griss

6 hours? loool

I was going to give my impression of the half-hour opening itself but I didn't have time 2 days ago. That would have been a valid opinion too. I have no problem judging a game as I go along, as if it improves I change my opinion.

There are plenty of things, like the visuals and core gameplay systems, that will not be changing over the course of the game.

What exactly is your problem with what I've said? I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

I have experienced the most saddest story in the Commonwealth. I'm pretty sure it was random but I feel bad.

I went to Good neighbour and met the
vault tech salesman
in the hotel. I felt bad for him and said he can live in Sanctuary. He was over the moon and I promised I would visit.

I left good neighbour and saw him run towards Sanctuary.... BOOOOM... He had walked on a landmine near the Gunners location and it killed him. I didn't have the heart to loot his corpse. Feels ba so full of hope and for what? To be destroyed by a random mine

Heads-up; the perk you get for getting MacCready to idolise you is bugged. It's supposed to increase your chance of getting headshots in VATS by 20%, but instead it increases it to 95% (the maximum possible chance), regardless of weapon type or distance. This means you can pop off headshots under any circumstances, which is conpletely broken.

There's a PC mod available that fixes this, but if you're playing on console, keep it in mind before going getting MacCready to idolise you.

N° 2048

I was going to give my impression of the half-hour opening itself but I didn't have time 2 days ago. That would have been a valid opinion too. I have no problem judging a game as I go along, as if it improves I change my opinion.

There are plenty of things, like the visuals and core gameplay systems, that will not be changing over the course of the game.

What exactly is your problem with what I've said? I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Not even going to bother, 6 fucking hours lol and New Vegas wasn't even written by Bethesda.

Maligna

Banned
Heads-up; the perk you get for getting MacCready to idolise you is bugged. It's supposed to increase your chance of getting headshots in VATS by 20%, but instead it increases it to 95% (the maximum possible chance), regardless of weapon type or distance. This means you can pop off headshots under any circumstances, which is conpletely broken.

There's a PC mod available that fixes this, but if you're playing on console, keep it in mind before going getting MacCready to idolise you.

Not sure if want.

Thorgal

ugh , i am starting to run into the same issue i had with fallout 3 /nv : enemies becoming total bullet sponges .

Look , i understand this game has RPG elements ( very lite , yes , but still there ) so yes , when i am facing an enemy that is dwarfing me in level i find it perfectly reasonable that they can rek me into next week .

What i do not accept , however is that a human raider , JUST a human raider survives 5 full clips of concentrated fire from an assault rifle right between the eyes ,, regardless of the level difference between us .

I need a realistic weapon damages mod like this one , http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35335/? for F4 .

ugh , i am starting to run into the same issue i had with fallout 3 /nv : enemies becoming total bullet sponges .

Look , i understand this game has RPG elements ( very lite , yes , but still there ) so yes , when i am facing an enemy that is dwarfing me in level i find it perfectly reasonable that they can rek me into next week .

What i do not accept , however is that a human raider , JUST a human raider survives 5 full clips of concentrated fire from an assault rifle right between the eyes ,, regardless of the level difference between us .

I need a realistic weapon damages mod like this one , http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35335/? for F4 .

As long as you keep modding your weapons and getting new ones and modding those, haven't seen major instances of enemies being super bullet sponges. For the most part the game tends to get easier with perks plus modded weapons

VICI0US

Has this game been patched on PC? I'm hearing new music tracks I haven't heard in the 50 hours I spent playing the game, and the framerate seems to hold steady in downtown Boston now.

Song goes something like this "Stay stay and have a good time. You don't have to pay pay. The pleasure is mine". Googled it and found nothing.

i think the game adds a few new tracks on its own by
magnolia, once you get to goodneighbor

Griss

Not even going to bother, 6 fucking hours lol and New Vegas wasn't even written by Bethesda.

You obviously didn't bother reading my comment as I never said, once, anywhere, that Bethesda wrote New Vegas. As a big New Vegas fan I would be well aware that that was Obsidian. It wasn't unreasonable to think Bethesda might have been able to pick up a few tips. I also noted that it was my take on the fucking beginning of the game and that like Witcher 3 everything could change.

Word of advice - quit getting so emotionally invested in defending your favourite video games.

So... in the irish boat place. the one with the mirelurkers. is that a AC BF easter egg? he looks like Edward Kenway. lol

One img
Two img

Reference

Nah I would say it's a coincidence, not an easter egg.
But I liked this place.
I really like how almost every place has such a little nice story to it.
I enjoy exploring places like that more than doing quests. It's so much fun.

N° 2048

But I liked this place.

Some nights I just turn off quest markers and explore. So damn beautiful.

brau

But I liked this place.

Totally! every single location has some sort of story or narrative to it. what happened, with who or where and why. you pay attention and it all makes more sense. i really love that.

He really does look like kenway tho lol. even teh duct tape shape and the big leather belt. haha funny coincidence then.

N° 2048

Totally! every single location has some sort of story or narrative to it. what happened, with who or where and why. you pay attention and it all makes more sense. i really love that.

He really does look like kenway tho lol. even teh duct tape shape and the big leather belt. haha funny coincidence then.

You can also pick up notes from enemies that say funny things.

The best was Super Mutant Orders that say:
KILL

LOOT

RETURN

brau

You can also pick up notes from enemies that say funny things.

The best was Super Mutant Orders that say:

lol. super mutant conversations are hilarious.

just earlier i was listening to them.. one was boasting to the other one how cool he is because he is a super mutant. the other one just replied that he was so happy for him. haha

the one that was happy walks away. i shoot the boasting one. the other one turns and screams in pain that his buddy died. he went into a rage... only to be dead 2 seconds later. :)

game too good.

tho. i wish the inventory would be better. also when picking up notes like that i wish it would let me preview them there instead of me digging through all my stuff to find them.

tho. i wish the inventory would be better. also when picking up notes like that i wish it would let me preview them there instead of me digging through all my stuff to find them.

Oh yes the inventory regarding notes and tapes is such a mess. They need to fix this shit. It's so bad

Tenpines Bluff
Come for our famous irradiated produce
Stay for our daily kidnappings

The next 10 settlers to join our community get a free Minuteman rescue*, from the General of the army!

*Rescue not guaranteed. By joining the community, you wave all rights for your next of kin to sue the General due to death by liberal use of explosive ammo during your rescue attempt.

N° 2048

lol. super mutant conversations are hilarious.

just earlier i was listening to them.. one was boasting to the other one how cool he is because he is a super mutant. the other one just replied that he was so happy for him. haha

the one that was happy walks away. i shoot the boasting one. the other one turns and screams in pain that his buddy died. he went into a rage... only to be dead 2 seconds later. :)

game too good.

Killing raiders and I hear one of them say "DON'T DIE ON ME."

AP9dWPp.gif

I'm so sorry, I have to.

BLunted

Banned

Are you low level? Did the enemy have a skull next to his name? If so, it means they are significantly higher level than you are, and should be prepared for a tough fight, or to come back to later. What is your build like? Did you at least put points in to one of the three combat types(Rifleman, Commando, Gunslinger)? Those are usually priority in my eyes as they tend to make all the difference.

As the game progresses, it becomes easier as you flesh out your character and gain access to better weapons and mods. I just finished the game on the hardest difficulty, and combat was trivial at that point.

-So then I say 'fuck sanctuary' and run down to the south of the map from from my base and found that the map is way smaller than I was expecting. And there was very little interesting along the way, too.

Don't let the small map fool you. Thers tons of things to do and to explore. I've put 100 hours in the game so far and discovered maybe half of the locations if i can believe the more detailed maps that float around on the internet. And a lot of the dungeons that i discovered i haven't even cleared yet.

So then why not have
the Brotherhood that turns up be the remnants that avoided being wiped out in the war with the NCR? Can easily say they found the Prydwen on the journey east. If they wanted to go with the classic Brotherhood they should've avoided the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood altogether.
BoS.
I murdered Maxson in the face because he undid years of progress that Lyons' Brotherhood made with being an actual benevolent force in the world. I'm also convinced that they (Maxson/agents from the West) had Sarah Lyons assassinated. She just so happens to die in the field right after her father dies? I don't buy it. With all of that manpower and resources the Brotherhood could revive the world, but no.

Branson

Well I lost Nick. He's not at his office or Sanctuary. He was mah boi and I'm sad I can't find him. Ringing the bell doesn't bring him either. The fuck.

Is there anything I can do on PC to find him? A console command or mod?

Well I lost Nick. He's not at his office or Sanctuary. He was mah boi and I'm sad I can't find him. Ringing the bell doesn't bring him either. The fuck.

Is there anything I can do I PC to find him? A console command or mod?

Did you check Goodneighbor? That's where he was for me after a certain point in the game.

What do you mean by "ringing the bell"?

BLunted

Banned

Depending where you are in the main quest, there are two location he may be at. I dont think it's that spoilery, but just in case:
Piper's Office or the Memory Den in Goodneighbour

His presence is required at those locations in the main quest and he can be found there if you haven't done those quests yet. Even if you sent him to a settlement.

If you do not care about any of that, you can open the console and type:
prid 00002f25 and then hit enter and then type moveto.player and then hit enter.

What do you mean by "ringing the bell"?

You can build a bell at your settlement, and ringing it summons all your settlers to the bell's location.

Branson

Depending where you are in the main quest, there are two location he may be at. I dont think it's that spoilery, but just in case:
Piper's Office or the Memory Den in Goodneighbour

His presence is required at those locations in the main quest and he can be found there if you haven't done those quests yet. Even if you sent him to a settlement.

If you do not care about any of that, you can open the console and type:
prid 00002f25 and then hit enter and then type moveto.player and then hit enter.

You can build a bell at your settlement, and ringing it summons all your settlers to the bell's location.

Yeah that's exactly where I'm at lol. And probably where he is. I didn't know he goes there since I sent him to sanctuary. I was working with the Brotherhood and they were kind of jerks to each other so I was like Nick this isn't the place for you right now.

BLunted

Banned
Yeah that's exactly where I'm at lol. And probably where he is. I didn't know he goes there since I sent him to sanctuary. I was working with the Brotherhood and they were kind of jerks to each other so I was like Nick this isn't the place for you right now.

It's also possible he may be in transit. I have had to sleep a day and a half before a dismissed follower showed up at Sanctuary.

I had similar issues before though, that was why I had the console command written down, but I found after
the memory den
I never had any issues with Nick disappearing.

I lost Strong, can't remember where I sent him. Does he have a default location he'll go to?

His default location is Trinity Tower lobby.

Lagamorph

BoS.
I murdered Maxson in the face because he undid years of progress that Lyons' Brotherhood made with being an actual benevolent force in the world. I'm also convinced that they (Maxson/agents from the West) had Sarah Lyons assassinated. She just so happens to die in the field right after her father dies? I don't buy it. With all of that manpower and resources the Brotherhood could revive the world, but no.
If my lone wanderer from 3 is anything to go by,
then he would've kicked the Brotherhood out of the Capital Wasteland when they most likely tried to restrict access to the purifier technology after Maxson's takeover.

GhaleonEB

What do they want me to do here?

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

They won't let me build a 10 power generator even though I have the parts and perks, and connecting it to the big generator in back doesn't work. Half an hour into this and I still don't know what they are asking me to do.

This is the kind of crap I mentioned on the last page. I have *zero* interest in building things in this game but it's forced on me with regularity. Build your own goddamn generator!

Edit: and with that, I'm done with Fallout 4.

MrDaravon

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

They won't let me build a 10 power generator even though I have the parts and perks, and connecting it to the big generator in back doesn't work. Half an hour into this and I still don't know what they are asking me to do.

This is the kind of crap I mentioned on the last page. I have *zero* interest in building things in this game but it's forced on me with regularity. Build your own goddamn generator!

Yeah, the building/settlement stuff knocks this game down a full point for me (from a 4/5 to a 3/5), it's intrusive on multiple varying levels and I honestly wish it wasn't in the game, or that it was at least handled much much better. I imagine playing on PC with mods/console commands probably makes it significantly more bearable; would probably be the one time I would "cheat" in one of these games and just make every settlement maxed out and be done with it forever.

This part and one later required story part is super annoying. IIRC on this part you have to give it enough power but you also have to assign a person to it.

johnsmith

remember me
Show us a screenshot of the build screen when you have the 10 power generator up. There's always a reason why you couldn't build. Or just build 4 of the 3 power generators, daisy chain them to each other to form a single power network, and then connect 1 of them to the radio.

FYI, the main quest will also make you build at one point.

And the minuteman standing in that picture should get assigned to work it.

zerotol

Banned

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

Is that at the castle? I think you just build some small generators and connect them.

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

If you don't want to build stuff, pretty much skip doing minutemen quests, since that's what they mostly all entail

Beefy

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

Connect the generator straight to the console. You have it connecting to the light bit first. It happened to me as well.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
What the hell. I was just at the castle building stuff. One of my settlers randomly starts attacking dogmeat. Then, every settler I have starts shooting at me. I just killed them all and am down to 9 people between companions and minutemen.

CVj5MlwUsAAL4Gt.jpg

This glitched for me where once the guy got out of his seat because of an attack or if a bell is rung he cannot sit back down. This means not only do I not have Radio Freedom, I also cannot complete Old Guns at all.

120v

i finished the main story last night... i expected it to be underwhelming but i didn't expect (and i don't even think i should be spoilering this, but just in case)
what was essentially a retread of the previews to the game "THE WORLD IS DIFFERENT NOW"... /walks off into the sunset with dogmeat

i still have about a third of the map to discover... i'm hoping it's like skyrim where i'm discovering new things years out but seems like i've pretty much seen and done everything in a relatively short amount of time for a bethesda game, but i'll see what the post-game delivers. and there's always DLC, i guess

i finished the main story last night... i expected it to be underwhelming but i didn't expect (and i don't even think i should be spoilering this, but just in case)
what was essentially a retread of the previews to the game "THE WORLD IS DIFFERENT NOW"... /walks off into the sunset with dogmeat

i still have about a third of the map to discover... i'm hoping it's like skyrim where i'm discovering new things years out but seems like i've pretty much seen and done everything in a relatively short amount of time for a bethesda game, but i'll see what the post-game delivers. and there's always DLC, i guess

The Map is big but yeah Skyrim was far superior in terms of exploration, especially making your way up mountains etc.

Still well worth your time getting to places and seeing what happened to them.

My other complaint apart from the ending as you said was the lack of variety in enemies. I was quite happy when I met the Forge as they offered something different in terms of human opponents.

I miss Centuars

Top Bottom