• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Yeah, Starlight is great. Built a massive town there during my last playthrough. Really cool.

I actually might try taking Boston Airport. Is that available before the Brotherhood shows up?

Riiight, I forgot about Starlight. Yep, that's also a great place. I've built a hotel there in front of the screen. It's awesome!

Isn't Boston Airport really, really limited? I think it was from my first playthrough. It is also not available before the BoS shows up. I tried it before with my first character when I was exploring the world.

Edit: Here's a video of a different form of Legendary farming at low levels I think?

It involves the Syringer and a couple of glitches.

Timeaisis

How is
the railroad evil? The BoS want genetic purity. The Institute murders in the name of science. What does the Railroad do?

OK, you are right there. I agree that the
Railroad is the least bad. I think Desdemona justifies killing the institute a little too much, but other than that the rest of the Railroad is in it for a good cause. They aren't what I'd call "the good guys", though.

Fox Mulder

My teddy bear collection so far

UBCb.jpg

I do that with nuka cola quantum since they're pretty worthless in this game. I miss making nuka grenades.

Nesther

Just got the Benevolent Leader, and thus platinum, trophy. Gosh darn it, this really is bugged to the max isn't it? There's no way Bethesda intended for people to spam as many stores and pictures as possible, while not allowing you to stray from the settlement.

Very curious to see how (or if) this will be addressed in future patches.

joecanada

yeah walls are almost pointless it's just best to arm your settlers with all that legendary equipment you don't like or use.

Actually did anyone else find that generally the enemies always spawn from one side of the settlement? meaning you could build a lot of walls, turrets, fortifications on that side mainly, which is what i have been doing....

hangmans alley is the worst, they spawn all over the place in buildings and your settlers take off all over the place. its very annoying. there should be an option to scrap everything and start over.... I'd love to rebuild a few of my bases.

Also does anyone know for the BoS questline,
I have the data from the institute but when you do mass fusion you are banned then elder maxon gets angry saying you were supposed to talk to Li, how do you get in without being banned?

Just got the Benevolent Leader, and thus platinum, trophy. Gosh darn it, this really is bugged to the max isn't it? There's no way Bethesda intended for people to spam as many stores and pictures as possible, while not allowing you to stray from the settlement.

yes I agree, when I started building I went about making each settlement as safe and nice as possible, but really my happiness never went over 78 on any settlement so I just started throwing sleeping bags down lol.... if they wanted you to be all in with the minutemen there should be more incentive to build nice bases.

It's gotta be bugged. I reached a max of 93 at Santuary and after trying everything, I tried at The Castle. Can't get that to go over 97. Everytime it reaches it and starts going back down.

Alpende

Doing it now and I'm at 88%. Hopefully I'm done quick so I can revert back to an older save and play again.

Riiight, I forgot about Starlight. Yep, that's also a great place. I've built a hotel there in front of the screen. It's awesome!

Isn't Boston Airport really, really limited? I think it was from my first playthrough. It is also not available before the BoS shows up. I tried it before with my first character when I was exploring the world.

Edit: Here's a video of a different form of Legendary farming at low levels I think?

It involves the Syringer and a couple of glitches.

It is, but for a house for just me it'd be perfect. Unfortunately, once you retake it it doesn't look as though it's usable, guess you need to advance the main quest for that.

I'll probably just get cracking on a power armor garage at Red Rocket. Put some walls around it. Nothing too fancy.

Branson

I'm kind of pissed at the turn the end of this game is making. It's making me want to just murder everyone and say fuck it. There's not any good choices.

joecanada

I'm kind of pissed at the turn the end of this game is making. It's making me want to just murder everyone and say fuck it. There's not any good choices.

Huh yeah, I wonder if you can make everyone your enemy... I will probably stick with the minutemen when it's all said and done....

Serious question...did anyone else's power bill go up exponentially during the last month? I played a lot of FO4 on PS4 and I feel like it may have had an effect on my power bill. If I recall correctly this happened when Skyrim came out as well and I got it on PS3. I feel like Bethesda games push the console hardware to the point where it consumes more energy or something.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

This game man!

So, a quest contact has decided to go diving in the ocean. I sat down on chair and waited several hours for him to come up again but apparently he was enjoying himself too much! I then joined him underwater but I didn´t seem to have the perk for talking underwater so I could not progress the quest.

Guess I´ll have to sift through my saves!

u3Ea4an.jpg

wum67gJ.jpg

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
This game man!

So, a quest contact has decided to go diving in the ocean. I sat down on chair and waited several hours for him to come up again but apparently he was enjoying himself too much! I then joined him underwater but I didn´t seem to have the perk for talking underwater so I could not progress the quest.

u3Ea4an.jpg

wum67gJ.jpg
I was turning in a minutemen quest to one settlement and the person was swimming across a river no where near her place. I had to wait until she made it across and got out, lol.

This game man!

u3Ea4an.jpg

wum67gJ.jpg

Just continue on with the quest. As you assault Libertalia, you'll eventually hit a door with a loading zone. He should be waiting for you on the other side.

Does anyone have the definitive number of locations in Fallout 4? I think I'm at 310 or so
(without going to the Institute yet)
and am curious how much more exploring I should do prior to continuing the main quests.

psylah

Something is wrong, I set myself up with full Deep-Pocketed armor set, but when I get in Power Armor that doesn't have the shock-absorber legs that increase carrying capacity, my total carrying capacity is actually LOWER than when I am on foot. It goes from 390 to 360.

Spyware

Something is wrong, I set myself up with full Deep-Pocketed armor set, but when I get in Power Armor that doesn't have the shock-absorber legs that increase carrying capacity, my total carrying capacity is actually LOWER than when I am on foot. It goes from 390 to 360.
PA replaces normal armor, they don't stack.

Watevaman

Up until this point, Power Armor always increased my carrying capacity, isn't that one of the underlying features of Power Armor?

When you equip PA, it unequips the armor you're normally wearing so you lose those benefits. If it used to increase, that's because you didn't have pocketed armor before.

psylah

Alright then, next question: When you make Machinegun Turrets, some come out Mk 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

I made a 3, and the next one I made was a 5. I've made a bunch at the castle, and had 4 Mk 1 and 1 Mk 5.

Is there any difference? What governs this?

Replicant

Alright then, next question: When you make Machinegun Turrets, some come out Mk 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

I made a 3, and the next one I made was a 5. I've made a bunch at the castle, and had 4 Mk 1 and 1 Mk 5.

Sounds like "Luck".

Ricker

Just started this a few days ago...so whats the deal with the Power Armor...? you find one early on doing the first quest in Concord but after it runs out,it's useless for now...? I travelled in it to the Rocket place to try and recharge or whatever but nothing happens...also,in Concord did I really have to kill a fucking Deathclaw at level 3 to finish the quest...? I cheesed it,otherwise it was killing me in one hit lol...

Game seems really hard at first,running out of ammo,I find guns and stuff but there's like no ammo for them.I am not really interested in all that building stuff because first of all its really not explained well(I put up a contraption in Sanctuary but it tells me I better assign a worker for it...how?? where is this worker...?)...not really enjoying this so far,maybe my head is not into it or something(I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas,finished both of those.)

johnsmith

remember me
Just started this a few days ago...so whats the deal with the Power Armor...? you find one early on doing the first quest in Concord but after it runs out,it's useless for now...? I travelled in it to the Rocket place to try and recharge or whatever but nothing happens...also,in Concord did I really have to kill a fucking Deathclaw at level 3 to finish the quest...? I cheesed it,otherwise it was killing me in one hit lol...

Game seems really hard at first,running out of ammo,I find guns and stuff but there's like no ammo for them.I am not really interested in all that building stuff because first of all its really not explained well(I put up a contraption in Sanctuary but it tells me I better assign a worker for it...how?? where is this worker...?)...not really enjoying this so far,maybe my head is not into it or something(I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas,finished both of those.)

Keep at it, the game is overwhelming at first, but soon it will click, and you won't be able to stop playing.

Power armors run on fusion cores, they're rare and expensive at first, so you're not supposed to use your armor all the time. You can buy them from vendors, or get them from generators in some buildings.

Ammo can be hard to find at first too, you basically have to rely on crappy pipe weapons that use .38 ammo, which is the most common type. If you're really desperate you can get the scrounger perk to help you find more ammo. Also you can sell ammo for weapons you don't like to buy more for the ones you want to use.

To recruit settlers you need to build a generator, and then a recruitment beacon, this will attract generic settlers, but you should have picked a couple of named ones from Concorde that you can assign. Open up the workshop menu (hold V on pc, not sure on consoles) select a settler, and you should see a command option when targeting a settler, hit the button to command, then target what you want them to work on and you should see it say assign.

v0mitg0d

The game throws a lot of systems at you. These should help:

Power Armor guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czky-2GNGnc&index=6&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

Workshop Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYty7x6BME&index=2&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

Supply Lines (sharing resources between settlements):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nmuIS6wnFo&index=9&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

Love the hell out of this game but I'm super pissed - down to my LAST bobblehead and it's glitched (Vault 75) and I'm not on PC. This will haunt my bones.

BLunted

Banned
Codsworth (Terminator tendency + Awesome Perk)
Danse (Great in battle + Awesome Perk)
Piper (Good Perk)
Macready (Awesome Perk but lousy in battle)
Dogmeat (Cute)

Haven't tried Curie but the others are not that good and Strong is SHIT. SHIIIIT.

Strong has actually been the best companion for me, just dont let him melee only, it's best if he has both a melee and a ranged weapon, or just a ranged weapon. All the companion AI is shitty.

I gave strong an assault rifle and he was tearing everything up. Only downside is when he taunts rather than attacks, but that scores him badass points. I should mention that I had him equipped with the highest DR super mutant hear I could find. Bladed Helmet, Heavy armor(not the cowl) heavy gauntlets, and cant remember if it was heavy legguards or a normal variation.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that he is pretty shitty if you play a stealth character. I do not.

Hawkie

Love the hell out of this game but I'm super pissed - down to my LAST bobblehead and it's glitched (Vault 75) and I'm not on PC. This will haunt my bones.

Had the same problem but you can clip through/over the locked door using a waste paper basket to reach it. To get out you have to pull a similar manoeuvre. There is a video on YT showing where to do it.

Strong has actually been the best companion for me, just dont let him melee only, it's best if he has both a melee and a ranged weapon, or just a ranged weapon. All the companion AI is shitty.

I gave strong an assault rifle and he was tearing everything up. Only downside is when he taunts rather than attacks, but that scores him badass points. I should mention that I had him equipped with the highest DR super mutant hear I could find. Bladed Helmet, Heavy armor(not the cowl) heavy gauntlets, and cant remember if it was heavy legguards or a normal variation.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that he is pretty shitty if you play a stealth character. I do not.

The best melee weapons for companions are the Stun Baton or Stunning Super Sledge.

It is broken, when i got my castle to 100 i had 15 clinics in the end, once done i returned it to normal with one of each store, a couple more people on food and some on defence and it goes down to 85.

Ricker

Keep at it, the game is overwhelming at first, but soon it will click, and you won't be able to stop playing.

Power armors run on fusion cores, they're rare and expensive at first, so you're not supposed to use your armor all the time. You can buy them from vendors, or get them from generators in some buildings.

Ammo can be hard to find at first too, you basically have to rely on crappy pipe weapons that use .38 ammo, which is the most common type. If you're really desperate you can get the scrounger perk to help you find more ammo. Also you can sell ammo for weapons you don't like to buy more for the ones you want to use.

To recruit settlers you need to build a generator, and then a recruitment beacon, this will attract generic settlers, but you should have picked a couple of named ones from Concorde that you can assign. Open up the workshop menu (hold V on pc, not sure on consoles) select a settler, and you should see a command option when targeting a settler, hit the button to command, then target what you want them to work on and you should see it say assign.

Thanks for the tips...I actually found a fusion core but in a part that I want to erase by loading an earlier save...

And thanks for the Youtube links v0mitg0d .

kendrid

Banned
Serious question...did anyone else's power bill go up exponentially during the last month? I played a lot of FO4 on PS4 and I feel like it may have had an effect on my power bill. If I recall correctly this happened when Skyrim came out as well and I got it on PS3. I feel like Bethesda games push the console hardware to the point where it consumes more energy or something.

Maybe I'm just crazy.

If you have a Kill-A-Watt plug it into your PS4 and see how much electricity it uses vs another game you often play.

The higher the number the stronger the turret. Mk 1 is not worth the materials. Mk 7... is pretty powerful, actually.

Which one you get when you try and place a turret is random. You need to rotate it around, the number is on the side, and if you don't get a Mk 7 cancel and try again.

johnsmith

remember me
Wait, is this real? I thought the mark # was just a random cosmetic change. Never thought it would actually affect how strong the turret was.

I think that I've hit the wall, after 55h+ played, where I'm starting to hit the wall with this game. I'm at the point in the main quest where
I'm supposed to do the freedom trail quest, to find the Railroad.
. I'm not sure exactly where on the map

While I ought to just continue with the main quest, I am starting to feel a bit to tired ofof encountering super mutants everywhere and just clearing locations fron enemies. Up until about 45h I really enjoyed this, but it's starting to feel a bit too much like Diablo now.

I'm not quite sure how to get the fun back in this game. Any hints on parts of the map I should head to, to explore, where it's just not enemies and loot?

TheBez

I think that I've hit the wall, after 55h+ played, where I'm starting to hit the wall with this game. I'm at the point in the main quest where
I'm supposed to do the freedom trail quest, to find the Railroad.
. I'm not sure exactly where on the map

While I ought to just continue with the main quest, I am starting to feel a bit to tired ofof encountering super mutants everywhere and just clearing locations fron enemies. Up until about 45h I really enjoyed this, but it's starting to feel a bit too much like Diablo now.

I'm not quite sure how to get the fun back in this game. Any hints on parts of the map I should head to, to explore, where it's just not enemies and loot?

How much stuff have you done in Diamond City yet? Doing the quests to find
Nick Valentine
quests will progress the main story and get you away from just killing random mobs and bring you up to
The Molecular Level
. I haven't gone past
The Molecular Level
myself yet, but I've heard that part of that quests progression is to meet the Railroad.

Found an abandoned house in the Boston commons,
where two holodeck tapes were in the bottom level, and a Glowing One was in a locked attic. After smiting it, I found a third holodeck tape in the same room as it. The tapes told the story of a girl who was a test subject for a drug, and she became the Glowing One. :'(

I love Bethesda.

So in my first playthrough I chose the Institute but Synths still attack my settlements. They don't show as red (enemies) even as I'm blowing them away. Silly.

Top Bottom