• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Any help with a bug? Quest is 'The Molecular Level'.

Spoilers: I've put together
this huge teleporter
, and the game is telling me
to stand on it
and use it, but I get stuck in an endless dialogue loop with
Desdemona
instead.
She tells me about the Patriot, gets to the end of her speech, I say 'sure I'll find him', then she says 'Tom, status report', but Tom isn't there so she just starts the whole thing over again.
I've been through this loop 5 times on Friday and now 5 times tonight, and this is feeling like a game breaking bug.

Is there
any other way into the Institute?
If this is the end of the 60 hours I've put into this underwhelming game then maybe it'll be a fucking relief, this kind of bug is bullshit.

I hit that when I moved the thing due to starting to build it somewhere it wouldn't all fit. Tom was standing around at the initial build location. He did wander over in the end though.

Lagamorph

Finally got to level 41 and got a jetpack. Haven't finished Molecular Level yet. All of my future points will go into Agility to increase the AP I have and thus increase my flight time. It's freaking awesome.
Jetpack drains AP?
I thought it just drained Fusion core fuel.

Doc_Drop

I'm trying to find a list of essential/non-killable npcs due to wanting to start an evil playthrough but I can't seem to find one online. Any ideas? Has anyone tried and failed to kill any specific characters? Obviously spoiler tag names, but I've already beat the game so don't worry about me.

As far as I am aware the following are killable;
Maxson
&
Paladin Danse
, and pretty much the entire
Railroad

I haven't tried
Preston Garvey
however, and I haven't tried any of the larger settlements a la Megaton in FO3

Basically I don't want to be in the situation where I feel I can cull an entire area but then get left with one or two npcs that just wont die

Vex_

Banned
Decided to join the Railroad (maybe rofl)...now if I could only find where the hell the spot to put this MILA is...

140 hours in and still have barely touched the main story (haven't been to Glowing Sea yet).

My build: http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7f!!944!1d5413.3!478212!7d713324.4!1f51111

FPTbn7r.png

oh hai, im level 47. Just got to glowing sea :)

Jetpack drains AP?
I thought it just drained Fusion core fuel.
Both. Using the jetpack drains the fusion core like any activity (thought faster, but with Nuclear Physicist it is not important) but uses the AP meter as a stamina of sorts, like sprinting. You get about 4 seconds of boost with Agility 6.

Vex_

Banned
It's going to be so nice going through the story with all these perks. That
JetPack
for Power Armor muahaha

Def getting Nuclear Physicist too.

im not a STR build, so no jetpack for me (armorer). But that doesnt mean I wont GO AFTER MORE EXP TO GET STR POINTS!

200+ HOURS HERE I COME!

The Christmas stuff has been in since launch. You get out of the vault October 23rd and if you visit Diamond City during in-game Christmas week it will look like that.
At least that's what been said by others the whole time, I've never gotten to Diamond City myself yet :p

This is because your in-game date is around Xmas, not because the real date is. They apparently also do something around Halloween but I'm not 100% on that.

Well...hell of a coincident then!!!

Tigress

Both. Using the jetpack drains the fusion core like any activity (thought faster, but with Nuclear Physicist it is not important) but uses the AP meter as a stamina of sorts, like sprinting. You get about 4 seconds of boost with Agility 6.

Thanks, that was useful. Seems at some point I'll have to up my Agility.

Oh, and for how slowly I'm going through the game: at elast more than 100 hours (don't know, just know that), level 41, just went to the glowing sea. Glowing sea is very hellish (it's good proof to me that Bethesda knows how to do atmosphere).

huxley00

After about 20 hours in, I am finally taking the game for what it is and really enjoying it. You don't have to do the city building stuff. Once I let that go, I started having a lot more fun.

My favorite thing about Fallout has always been the Wasteland exploration piece of it. Wandering into a random building and discovering it's mysteries has always been my favorite part of the game. A random grate in gas station leads to a secret military bunker.

I also love how Fallout is all about show, don't tell. You can piece together what happened in a building or room just by looking at the layout. For instance, there is a medical facility that had a contamination leak. You see several dead bodies over toilets, you can just picture the humans throwing up before they expired.

Is this game perfect? No, not at all. Is it as good as Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas? Hmmm maybe Fallout 3 but definitely not New Vegas. Am I mad about the resources they wasted with the city building stuff? Yeah, I am. Would I rather have text instead of voice acting? Yes. Do I think the skill tree is much worse than the old system and much less inspired ? abso-fucking-lutely.

Do I think it's still a really fun game? I do.

I kind of hate a lot about it, but they core of the game is still Fallout and I'm going to enjoy it.

hydruxo

Finally got this at a Christmas party. I just got the power armor. When do I access the garage to store it?

There's not a garage to store power armor. There are power armor benches (the big yellow frames like the one in Sanctuary) that you can use to modify them, but other than that you can just store power armor anywhere you want by getting out of it. Alternatively you can take the individual power armor pieces off of a power armor frame and store them in containers/cabinets/etc.

Watevaman

There's not a garage to store power armor. There are power armor benches (the big yellow frames like the one in Sanctuary) that you can use to modify them, but other than that you can just store power armor anywhere you want by getting out of it. Alternatively you can take the individual power armor pieces off of a power armor frame and store them in containers/cabinets/etc.

This and also make sure that you take the Fusion Core out of the PA when you leave it. Otherwise it's liable to get stolen.

Replicant

Finally got this at a Christmas party. I just got the power armor. When do I access the garage to store it?

You make one (storage room) yourself. My power armors ate stored on the 2nd floor of my bachelor pad inside a gated Red Rocket area with 0 population and tons of turrets.

Don't forget to take out the Fusion Core for extra safety. But if you place it on populated area, your settlers may be able to use it even without Fusion Core.

Replicant

Can we please have an option to get rid of/burn down carcasses please, Bethesda? It's really an eyesore when you try to build a decent-looking settlement.

So my one quest is super glitched.

I have the Defend Abernathy Farm quest, but it's glitched with not being able to unselect it and it only says Talk to Preston Garvey, while it's grayed out. I just got a notification that it's about to end. I also look in the console by typing sqt, but it doesn't even show up there at all. What the fuck is this shit...

Faenix1

Really need to stop doing the settlement thing, but I can't help it... lost another 3 hours today. But hey Red Rocket is looking peachy.. lol

I wish we;
-could cut grass, get rid of rubble, ect.
-had a foundation-like block of dirt/grass
-The foundation block could be placed more or less anywhere. Finally did "The Castle" and I tried to make it look ok but I find the foundation block really limiting.

Krakn3Dfx

I spent a ton of time on Spectacle Island today, just building. I modded the game to remove the item build limit, and built my home around the boat off of the coast.

CWygdl4UAAEBUg0.jpg:large

Also built some other stuff. I have made Fallout 4 my Minecraft.

CWyfbLbUEAAn1gX.png:large

Croc

Banned
Question to anyone here using a steam controller.

How to you do lockpicking? I had no trouble doing it with a regular controller but I can't for the life of me do even the easiest ones using a steam controller.

johnsmith

remember me
They'll come back the next time you load the area. Not worth the effort of tossing them. Proven again and again since I've done it before.
Weird. That hasn't been my experience, except with some disintegrated piles that wouldn't disappear from the castle. Every actual corpse outdoors has disappeared for me.

Replicant

Weird. That hasn't been my experience, except with some disintegrated piles that wouldn't disappear from the castle. Every actual corpse outdoors has disappeared for me.

PC? I'm on PS4. :(

Did it on both Sunshine Co-op Tidings and Mansion and the corpses are coming back like horror film. :(

Really need to stop doing the settlement thing, but I can't help it... lost another 3 hours today. But hey Red Rocket is looking peachy.. lol

I wish we;
-could cut grass, get rid of rubble, ect.
-had a foundation-like block of dirt/grass
-The foundation block could be placed more or less anywhere. Finally did "The Castle" and I tried to make it look ok but I find the foundation block really limiting.

To add to your list:

- Circular foundations, walls, and roofs
- Triangular foundations, walls, and roofs
- Reiterate what Replicant said, get rid of dead bodies
- Better roofs, for the love of buddha, we need more and better looking roofs
- Windows
- Ladders
- This is something I've seen posted here before and that is to have a better UI for what each settler is doing. It could be anything but not this atrocious system we have right now where it highlights what they are assigned to.

I've seen mods showcasing planting trees, potted resources, placeable unruined cars, actual lamps that can be placed on desks, placeable rocks, etc.

I have a feeling Bethesda knew that mods will take care of most of our issues and they decided to gimp some items from us and allow modders to put them into our game.

What are the chances of Bethesda adding more settlement expansions via dlc? Skyrim had one right?

Faenix1

To add to your list:

- Circular foundations, walls, and roofs
- Triangular foundations, walls, and roofs
- Reiterate what Replicant said, get rid of dead bodies
- Better roofs, for the love of buddha, we need more and better looking roofs
- Windows
- Ladders
- This is something I've seen posted here before and that is to have a better UI for what each settler is doing. It could be anything but not this atrocious system we have right now where it highlights what they are assigned to.

I've seen mods showcasing planting trees, potted resources, placeable unruined cars, actual lamps that can be placed on desks, placeable rocks, etc.

I have a feeling Bethesda knew that mods will take care of most of our issues and they decided to gimp some items from us and allow modders to put them into our game.

What are the chances of Bethesda adding more settlement expansions via dlc? Skyrim had one right?

Always wish we could turn off the snap-to crap sometimes.

Feels like minecraft all over again. Felt limited and had to wait for mods/Mojang to get off their ass and add more blocks.

I have issues with the snapping not snapping and that annoys me. I move one second story floorboard and now I can't get it to snap now for some odd reason. There's nothing blocking me and if there was then I wouldn't have been able to snap and place the floorboard in the first place.

I also have issues with it snapping too much and it annoys me since I don't want it to snap to whatever it keeps snapping on.

The option to turn it off and on should have been in the game from the beginning honestly. After nearly playing Fallout 4 for a month now, I'm starting to notice more and more annoyances. I still enjoy it immensely but the small things add up and annoys the living crap out of me.

evangd007

This is the best I've found. Absolutely stupid from an ergonomics point of view, making it a rifle reduces the damage significantly for some reason (probably arbitrary balance issues, which kind of makes me sad).

The displayed damage value is after perk calculations, so this will happen if you have gunslinger but not rifleman, and vice-versa.

Faenix1

I have issues with the snapping not snapping and that annoys me. I move one second story floorboard and now I can't get it to snap now for some odd reason. There's nothing blocking me and if there was then I wouldn't have been able to snap and place the floorboard in the first place.

I also have issues with it snapping too much and it annoys me since I don't want it to snap to whatever it keeps snapping on.

The option to turn it off and on should have been in the game from the beginning honestly. After nearly playing Fallout 4 for a month now, I'm starting to notice more and more annoyances. I still enjoy it immensely but the small things add up and annoys the living crap out of me.

When that kind of crap happens I find I need to essentially restart. Or remove everything else it's trying to snap too.

No shit? Didn't know that. But I have all the gun perks at the same level.

You sure? Rifles/Pistols are the same for me, minus range, ect. (Whatever rifle stocks increase)

Hell sometimes making a corner with fences fights me even tho, in my mind, if I have to one way it shouldnt snap in a different direction and make me play "move inches to the side" to get it the way I want.

I was making a "Companion House" at red rocket, and making an interior - cause having a big ass room with 13 beds in it would just be stupid, imo - I had to essentially restart three times cause of the snap-to stuff. Making interiors is such a bloody hassle.

Dead Man

You sure? Rifles/Pistols are the same for me, minus range, ect. (Whatever rifle stocks increase)

I'll double check, but pretty sure. Could be a fun new glitch for my game too lol.

Edit: I am running a bunch of mods though too. I'll disable them and check again.

Doc_Drop

So what is the best ending if I want to "save"/be on good terms with as much factions as I can?

Couldn't say for sure but I would wager
Minutemen
, as both the
Institute
and
Brotherhood of Steel
have a pretty harsh approach.
Railroad
didn't seem terrible but there doesn't seem to be an overly peaceful solution to the game

tw1164

Ugh, I fucked up and got stuck in the BoS ending. I hate the BoS. I was going to align w/ the railroad.
When the BoS goes to wipe out the railroad, I thought there would have been some dialog w/ the rail. I really just wanted to warn them that the BoS was coming. Everyone was already hostile so I had to kill them. It felt terrible.

So what is the best ending if I want to "save"/be on good terms with as much factions as I can?

The Minutemen, but you'd need to skip a lot of quests.
My melee character just whacked Father in the face when she first met him and then finished the game with the Minutemen, without ever talking to the Railroad or the Brotherhood. So I'm not exactly on friendly terms with them, but I didn't have to blow them up either.

If you actually want to be friends with everyone and save as much people as possible, you're shit out of luck.

Ugh, I fucked up and got stuck in the BoS ending. I hate the BoS. I was going to align w/ the railroad.
When the BoS goes to wipe out the railroad, I thought there would have been some dialog w/ the rail. I really just wanted to warn them that the BoS was coming. Everyone was already hostile so I had to kill them. It felt terrible.
The entire thing is fucked up. The game really fucking sucks. I just decided to murder everyone. It's all the same anyway.

Ricker

Are the legendary's random or will they be there again after you die and head back let's say...? there's a settlement quest that I can't complete for now because at level 12,the LE is too hard for now...I only have Dogmeat as a companion.

SeanR1221

This is the best I've found. Absolutely stupid from an ergonomics point of view, making it a rifle reduces the damage significantly for some reason (probably arbitrary balance issues, which kind of makes me sad).

Hahaha it looks weird but I'll give it a shot :)

Are the legendary's random or will they be there again after you die and head back let's say...? there's a settlement quest that I can't complete for now because at level 12,the LE is too hard for now...I only have Dogmeat as a companion.

I believe they are random until you enter their spawn area? Once you see them, they should be set. But I'm not quite sure that's true. I think if you leave them alone long enough they should despawn. You could check to see if reddit has experimented on legendaries.

@Faenix1, yup fences especially. Their snap is so random from time to time. I try and move inch by inch in every direction..... Let it snap correctly dammit lol

We also desperately need more rugs. The ones we have are garbage and makes my settlements look poorly made imo. Some great additions would also be carpets, pillows, and blankets.

Moonstone

Probably because you have skilled gunslinger and not the rifle pendant. It is always included in that screen.

Does Hancock have any related side missions?

I got him maxed out really quickly but other than a couple of chats he hasn't had any missions come up like the other companions i've run with.

AEREC

Does Hancock have any related side missions?

I got him maxed out really quickly but other than a couple of chats he hasn't had any missions come up like the other companions i've run with.

No idea...it seems so do and some dont. Ive only max out Nick and Piper. Nick had one and Piper didnt.

Dunkelgrau

Two questions:

1. Is it necessary to equip the companions with weapons and armor? I tried it one time and then the armor I gave to the companion (or his default armor) was gone forever. Maybe a bug?

2. I have the feeling that I hear only ten songs since twenty hours over and over again. I thought Fallout 4 has more music than every Fallout game before?

AEREC

]blacky[;190170849 said:
Two questions:

1. Is it necessary to equip the companions with weapons and armor? I tried it one time and then the armor I gave to the companion (or his default armor) was gone forever. Maybe a bug?

2. I have the feeling that I hear only ten songs since twenty hours over and over again. I thought Fallout 4 has more music than every Fallout game before?

1. Not necessary but I'm sure it helps. I've never equipped them with anything though.

2. I'm sure they mean radio station songs and background music combined...but no idea.

Top Bottom