• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Icefire1424

Mines have been a lifesaver for me on more than a few times on Survival. Particularly helpful when attacking a settlement to drop a few mines in a bottleneck where an enemy will run into 'em. They were the only reason I survived attacking a bunch of Supermutants holding down a satellite location, one of them Legendary. Few mines at the gate, a couple next to some cars, and a few on the way back to where I was sitting back sniping. Particularly good for taking care of the hounds.

Watevaman

Wait a minute, I never even thought to try and mod a Missile Launcher. Or a Mingun. Or any heavies for that matter. I...erm..uh...

/runs back to workbench.

Mods on the rocket launcher help it a lot but that's really the only weapon I feel benefits from upgrading in the heavy category.

The Fat Man has the MIRV upgrade, which splits one mini-nuke into 6 or 8, I believe, but also reduces the range a lot. I could see that being good for a huge mob of ghouls or maybe multiple deathclaws, but that's about it. The minigun has different barrels along with some other stuff, but even at a maxed out Heavy Gunner, it just doesn't put out enough damage for single enemies at my level (71), so I will only ever use it if I find one with the explosive legendary prefix, because I tested one of those with the console and it killed a Behemoth in probably half a second. The Gatling Laser is already pretty powerful so its mods are once again pretty useless to me. I haven't had a use for the Flamer so I actually can't comment on that and the Broadsider has such rare ammo that I've never used it.

Icefire1424

My survivor is spec'd out as a Rifleman, so my .50 Sniper Rifle has been the go to whenever I need to cause massive damage. The one time I pulled out a Missile Launcher, it barely registered a blip on a Super Mutie, so haven't used it since.

Probably why I haven't checked out the mods for 'em. :)

Crossposting this from the Steam thread because I want to vent a bit:

I got to the
institute
and then played few missions forward until deciding that I might as well drop the difficulty level to easy. The constant fighting just too much, especially when I enjoy playing Turok 1 hundred times more than shooting in Fallout 4. It's not hard, it's just even frustrating, just slow and boring. Not sure if I am missing something but many of my go-to weapons are either peashooters or just low on ammo. But it's not that the game was hard by any means, Stimpaks are plentiful and enemies don't do that much damage, just take a lot of it. Quite often I do enjoy the game a ton, but while doing the dungeon #100 or going through the absolute garbage dialog options I am wondering how this is one of the most acclaimed games of the year.

Actual dialog from the
institute
SUPER HEAVY SPOILERS

- Where is my son
- It's me, your son
- No it's impossible
- Yes it's possible. Or do you think that 60 years is impossible?
- No.
- Okay. Will you join us?
- Yes.
- Great. Go meet 4 people like you did in the Railroad, Brotherhood of Steel and the other factions and then come back to me to get your first "go kill person X" mission.

What the christ

Meanwhile I did figure out that it's most likely just easier to run to the main mob and kill it than to slowly progress through the dungeons. Worked for
Bedlam

AEREC

So are they ever going to fix Macready's perk? Seems like such an easy fix and it's been well known for a while now. It's the only reason I haven't got him as a companion, because I didn't want to break my game.

rezn0r

So are they ever going to fix Macready's perk? Seems like such an easy fix and it's been well known for a while now. It's the only reason I haven't got him as a companion, because I didn't want to break my game.

I was complaining to a friend earlier that I regret maxing him out first - I didn't know it was bugged and I'm not playing on PC. At first it felt like I got a new super power and it was fun for a few days, but between that & ballistic weave clothing & certain gun types maxed, I seriously feel invincible with the difficulty jacked up. I'm not going to start over, I'm pretty far into all storylines, but I do regret it a bit.

Coolluck

Level 43 also never used grenades or mines. Only use a Fatman once just to see it.

Not as deep as y'all are but I store mines, and keep 20 grenades on hand. When I go over, I'll throw them at groups of enemies just to speed up a fight so I don't have to waste ammo I care about.

Edit: Actually, I used a shit ton of mines at the mission
where you fight the Mirelurk Queen at the fort.
I kept dying because wasting stimpaks wasn't going to fly so I layed out a bunch of mines before triggering the spawn.

N° 2048

Mods on the rocket launcher help it a lot but that's really the only weapon I feel benefits from upgrading in the heavy category.

The Fat Man has the MIRV upgrade, which splits one mini-nuke into 6 or 8, I believe, but also reduces the range a lot. I could see that being good for a huge mob of ghouls or maybe multiple deathclaws, but that's about it. The minigun has different barrels along with some other stuff, but even at a maxed out Heavy Gunner, it just doesn't put out enough damage for single enemies at my level (71), so I will only ever use it if I find one with the explosive legendary prefix, because I tested one of those with the console and it killed a Behemoth in probably half a second. The Gatling Laser is already pretty powerful so its mods are once again pretty useless to me. I haven't had a use for the Flamer so I actually can't comment on that and the Broadsider has such rare ammo that I've never used it.

Yooo so true, 140ish hours and I've only come across Broadsider ammo once, and that was where I actually got the gun from.

Do vendors even sell Broadsider Ammo?

Are mines useful? If you are type of player who clears out area from distance using VATS, I don't see any use. If you are type of player who don't use VATS, chances are you be the one stepping on the mine when fighting multiple enemies.

On this Topic does any one know if the Final Level of Explosives bonuses stack? i.e Your Explosive do double damage and Explosives you shoot in VATS do Double Damage, if I VATS my Grenade mid-air will it do quad damage?

Man, im addicted to taking screenshots in-game.

h3M1da7.png

UnIdEcq.png

3Jab6Ln.png

jesu

Have you tried going to the combat zone and see if she's there, sometimes they return to where you found them.

Oh yeah I did everything I could.
Looked where I found her, and in all my settlements and rang the bell.
I had given up with her and yet there she was, on top of the Mass Fusion building.
Where I had never been before.

I'm on the Xbox so I can't do any PC things to make her work again.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
just bought this game and i have a quick question that has probably been discussed many times but i don't want to read 90 pages: am i doing something wrong with all the shit i am picking up? and when you get back to a settlement, are you supposed to dump all the junk on one of the workbenches? can you use stuff that is on the gun bench when working on the furniture bench? i haven't really bothered much with either because the whole thing has been a total chore. this game really could use some infinite carry cheat codes. the actual game has been pretty fun, but this inventory bullshit has really soured the experience so far.

just bought this game and i have a quick question that has probably been discussed many times but i don't want to read 90 pages: am i doing something wrong with all the shit i am picking up? and when you get back to a settlement, are you supposed to dump all the junk on one of the workbenches? can you use stuff that is on the gun bench when working on the furniture bench? i haven't really bothered much with either because the whole thing has been a total chore. this game really could use some infinite carry cheat codes. the actual game has been pretty fun, but this inventory bullshit has really soured the experience so far.

All the junk that is under the 'junk' tab are junk and can be stored in the workbench. When you level your charisma high enough you can learn a skill that allows you to share junk resources with other settlements.

All the items you have with you are accessible to you will always be available to use for any settlement you are at. If you dump, for an example, a weapon at one settlement you cannot use said weapon at another settlement. Please be careful that weapon and armor mods do have carry weight and many people don't realize that and they get weight down due to having so many mods on their person.

Weapon and armor mods do not share settlements.

Food, I think, does but only specific food resources.

If you are tired of the entire weight system, always have a companion with you since all of them arr able to bypass their carry weight except for Dogmeat. To do this, simply point at a dead body and have them inspect said body and they will take whatever is on the dead body into their inventory. When they are full, they will only take one item at a time.

If you level strength high enough you can pour points into pack mule and this will allow you to run while being encumbered at the cost of using action points. It'll also allow you to carry more resources.

To carry more, you would have to find legendary armor mods that have the +1 str and end mod and upgrade them to allow more carry weight.

I also agree with you on the whole encumbrance thing. It's the only I truly hate about western rpgs.

Griss

Finally beat it. Went with
the Brotherhood in the end
and it was an easy decision. The ending was very appropriate in its way,
meaning that an underwhelming story with little opportunity for roleplaying should have an abrupt underwhelming ending with little opportunity for roleplaying.

Rarely felt so relieved to be done with a game. It dragged on forever and was dull as hell. What a disappointment.

Now that I'm free again, roll on Xenoblade X on Christmas Day.

Vex_

Banned
Yooo so true, 140ish hours and I've only come across Broadsider ammo once, and that was where I actually got the gun from.

Do vendors even sell Broadsider Ammo?

Same, bromarsh. I saw a whole counter full of BS ammo, and was looking around for the BS... Never found one :/

But yea, that was the only time I found any. I would ask where it is, but it might be too spoilery?

Vex_

Banned
Definitely do the quest to get the Broadsider. Totally worth it, one of the best in the game. It starts east of Bunker Hill.

Will check it out.

Thanks.

One more question (and this is important): is the weapon considered "explosives" or "heavy"?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Broadsider

Never mind: I decided to not be lazy lol. It is " heavy" for those who wanted to know what perks you needed.

Thought it would be demolitions for sure too. :c

AEREC

Diamond City Blues...what the fuck.

Quest starts out as helping a guy confront his wifes boyfriend and if it goes smoothly and peacefully I am somehow locked into
helping the cheater ambush and murder drug dealers
. Makes absolutely no sense that you start a seemingly good natured quest and somehow get locked into doing some evil shit with no way to back out.

Ugh...closet save is two hours prior.

johnsmith

remember me

Quest starts out as helping a guy confront his wifes boyfriend and if it goes smoothly and peacefully I am somehow locked into
. Makes absolutely no sense that you start a seemingly good natured quest and somehow get locked into doing some evil shit with no way to back out.

Eh, just do it. The rewards are awesome, especially if you go full evil
and let everybody die during the drug deal so you don't have to split them
. What are you? A roleplayer?

BeeDog

Seriously, this "Benevolent Leader" trophy is driving me crazy, been going at it for short bursts over several days.

I'm attempting it at Sanctuary Hills, and I have the following stats:

People: 18
Food: 18
Water: 62
Power: 73
Defense: 207
Beds: 19
Happiness: 90 (stuck here, no green arrow now)
Size: Almost full (~90% of the bar)

I have just a couple of people assigned to food, the rest to level 3 Medic stations. I have also created tons of decorations (e.g. paintings, fountains, statues), but the happiness is barely increasing. :( What's the actual trick here?

EDIT: Can also add that I've scrapped all TVs I could find, and
checked if there are any infiltrating synths, which I don't believe.
Can the happiness keep increasing even if I don't have the green arrow?

That quest is actually kinda neat because it came unexpected and you have like three different family members going after you depending on how it goes.
I prioritized on keeping the (now rich and happy) father alive due to his little kid. The cheater got killed by the female Ghoul gangster and I just stood by and watched because fuck that guy. I gave the Ghoul my word I won't kill her in exchange for the password so I had to let her go.
Her mob boss in Goodneighbor was pissed and demanded a lot of money from me. Meanwhile the rich father of that dead wannabe gangsta confronted me but I talked my way out of it by blaming the Mob boss. He gave me a kill order so that's two birds with one stone thus I planted a few mines on the boss' bed, waited and boom, problem solved.
To complicate things, the daughter of the cheater showed up in Diamond City and started asking questions about his whereabouts. She seemed nice enough and I didn't want to kill her so I told her he's dead (she deserves some closure) but that I was not involved (which apparently only worked because I technically did indeed not kill him). I was lucky because I read she can pressure the husband and/or wife to turn hostile on you (or they tell on you).
Finally, I broke into that secret chem lab but the loot was shit.
I would think that's more or less the morally best outcome you could get lol

Same, bromarsh. I saw a whole counter full of BS ammo, and was looking around for the BS... Never found one :/

But yea, that was the only time I found any. I would ask where it is, but it might be too spoilery?

It is just a reward for completing a sidequest a certain way. Last Voyage of the USS Constitution be sure to
side with the robots and go visit the ship after it lands.

Seriously, this "Benevolent Leader" trophy is driving me crazy, been going at it for short bursts over several days.

I'm attempting it at Sanctuary Hills, and I have the following stats:

People: 18
Food: 18
Water: 62
Power: 73
Defense: 207
Beds: 19
Happiness: 90 (stuck here, no green arrow now)
Size: Almost full (~90% of the bar)

I have just a couple of people assigned to food, the rest to level 3 Medic stations. I have also created tons of decorations (e.g. paintings, fountains, statues), but the happiness is barely increasing. :( What's the actual trick here?

EDIT: Can also add that I've scrapped all TVs I could find, and
checked if there are any infiltrating synths, which I don't believe.
Can the happiness keep increasing even if I don't have the green arrow?
Where are the beds?

You need to have them in doored, roofed rooms that are well lit.

Ricker

Wait a minute...someone actually took one of my only 2 Power Armor I had...? I found another one in that place with all the yellow racks/stands for them but now it's not showing on the map...the one I brought to the first Red Rocket place is still there but for whatever reason,my dumbass self sold the right arm and the left leg lol...at least I have some fusion cores now.

Where are the beds?

Uh now I know why my people are not so happy.
Christmas vacation now. I'm at my parents, can't play Fallout ;(

But I feel like the game is slowly coming to an end. I discovered almost all places outside of Boston and the glowing sea. I'll do Boston at the end, I don't really like the City. (I don't like big Cities in RPGs in general). And then the main Quest.

I just found Curie and I love her.
When do I get the Synth companion, which quest do I have to do (and is that a quest that is so late that I already pissed of another fraction?)
Same Question for Danse, when do I get to get his perk, I thought you have to do a certain quest for the BoS.

Wait a minute...someone actually took one of my only 2 Power Armor I had...? I found another one in that place with all the yellow racks/stands for them but now it's not showing on the map...the one I brought to the first Red Rocket place is still there but for whatever reason,my dumbass self sold the right arm and the left leg lol...at least I have some fusion cores now.

Once some Raiders attacked the Red Rocket Place and one got into one of my Armors. After I killed him I could loot the pieces back but the Frame was lost. Of course I reloaded though I have like 10 armors but fuck that shit.

Watevaman

For future use, always take the fusion core out of power armor when you get out.

Ricker

Yeah,taking the core out is a good idea...

The Minuteman sidequest part with the Mirelurk is killing my desire to keep playing for now lol,I hate those guys,especially the way VATS is set up now,the head target keeps moving and its hard to pinpoint it,they are a waste of ammo,might just forget this shit all together and go on with the main story and other stuff...the quest glitched on me anyway,
maybe because after so many deaths,I tried to cheese it and now the Queen doesnt appear anymore
so I will have to reload before that part.

Tigress

It only shows the last armor you were in on the map.

Also, if you placed it in a spot another power armor originally was the game will remove it and put it back where it came from (I think the game gets confused if the original armor isn't in that particular spot. I found a full set of x-01 armor right after I found a partial set so I put the partial set where the full set was so I'd remember where it was. In game days later I go back to retrieve it and it is gone. I thought the game outright erased it as not supposed to be there but what it did was move the partial armor back to where I found the partial armor).

Tigress

The Minuteman sidequest part with the Mirelurk is killing my desire to keep playing for now lol,I hate those guys,especially the way VATS is set up now,the head target keeps moving and its hard to pinpoint it,they are a waste of ammo,might just forget this shit all together and go on with the main story and other stuff...the quest glitched on me anyway,
maybe because after so many deaths,I tried to cheese it and now the Queen doesnt appear anymore

I don't use vats but I've found that if you get the mirelurk to come at you while you run backwards (so you're facing him) when he lifts up you can shoot aright around the belly/head area and you'll get a good hit.

Don't ask me how to dodge him though once he gets to you. Only thing I've halfway figured out how to dodge is the Deathclaw (I could swear there was a dodge mechanic now?).

evangd007

Set up a bunch of land mines in the courtyard, that should make the mirelurk quite a bit easier. Mines can do a ton of damage and take out the legs very quickly. Just watch your step when fighting it.

Faenix1

Where are the beds?

Not sure if it's been asked but:

Does this mean if I use all the pre-existing buildings in Santuary I need to go around adding doors and lights to them? And if I do: is just the front door enough or does each room need a door too?

I really don't like the whole building system. I wish there would be an option to build already finished houses like in Skyrim. I know there are some but they don't really look good and it's still a mess to place them somewhere.

So, after being in a big ass firefight, in which every limb I have is crippled, I have fixed myself up, cured all addictions and removed all radiation, including well rested, but my character is still clutching his waist in agony, and its looking stupid in every talking scene .....

Is there a fix for this ? I tried crippling a limb again and stimpacking but he still looks like he wants to keel over and die :(

N° 2048

So, after being in a big ass firefight, in which every limb I have is crippled, I have fixed myself up, cured all addictions and removed all radiation, including well rested, but my character is still clutching his waist in agony, and its looking stupid in every talking scene .....

Is there a fix for this ? I tried crippling a limb again and stimpacking but he still looks like he wants to keel over and die :(

Man I remember there is a fix for this but I forgot. Try getting into Power Armor. Might reset the animation

I really don't like the whole building system. I wish there would be an option to build already finished houses like in Skyrim. I know there are some but they don't really look good and it's still a mess to place them somewhere.

I don't dislike it but yes I'm with you. The prebuilts are really bad since the geometry will more often than not, be bumpy. I wouldn't mind it if the geometry is a bit more flat and that prebuilts would sort of clip through the geometry to at least allow the prebuilts to look like they aren't floating but most of the time they will be floating.

Of course this can be remedied with the wooden and concrete foundations though.

I too agree with the explosive love in here. That is a thing of beauty, especially the mirv fatboy lol. Sure it barely has any range but when it goes off, it's a thing of nuclear beauty!

Hi Fo4GAF! Just have a question for those of you who may know the answer?

I'm looking to change my character's name (PC) and I'm finding conflicting solutions as to how to do this..? And that it might also screw with achievements/saves or something? If anyone can help me out with how to change my name as well as let me know if it's safe to do so, I'd love to know. Thanks.

Replicant

Once I tried taking out a Mirelurk Queen (not sure if it's from the same location because I haven't done Taking the Castle mission just yet) because it was attacking me......

It wasn't fun and giggles. It involved a lot of Quicksave spam and in my case, some delicious Fatman delivered straight to the Queen Crab.

Top Bottom