• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Moonstone

]blacky[;190170849 said:
Two questions:

1. Is it necessary to equip the companions with weapons and armor? I tried it one time and then the armor I gave to the companion (or his default armor) was gone forever. Maybe a bug?

Probably helps but will cost ammunition. Default weapon doesn't need ammo.
If you give Cait a combat shotgun (her default weapon is a shotgun), she needs shotgun shells.

Raided Hardware Town to collect paint for side quests. I'm level 19 and hit jackpot. Only three easy kill enemies and (comparatively) tons of chems (20-25 good ones), stimpacks (around 10-12) and other stuff. Didn't expect that much loot in small area like this.

]blacky[;190170849 said:
Two questions:

1. Is it necessary to equip the companions with weapons and armor? I tried it one time and then the armor I gave to the companion (or his default armor) was gone forever. Maybe a bug?

2. I have the feeling that I hear only ten songs since twenty hours over and over again. I thought Fallout 4 has more music than every Fallout game before?

I equip them with armors so each one has different look. Not sure if it helps. They usually become disabled after few shots in any big encounters. They are good only for storage and perks. I don't waste my stimpacks on them.

Others have said if you give weapon you need to give ammo too. Although I don't remember giving them ammos so I'm guessing they are finding it on their own.

Doc_Drop

]blacky[;190170849 said:
Two questions:

I equip them with armors so each one has different look. Not sure if it helps. They usually become disabled after few shots in any big encounters. They are good only for storage and perks. I don't waste my stimpacks on them.

Others have said if you give weapon you need to give ammo too. Although I don't remember giving them ammos so I'm guessing they are finding it on their own.

Yeh, some of the armor can help with them not getting taken down too quickly. Nick wont wear other armor however. I'd advise equipping them with a decent legendary gun or unique gun that you're not using though, it's worth it in the long run if you plan sticking with any particular companipo. Companions will pick up ammo on their own but it's random

Started a melee/stealth character recently, am really tired of the lack of handmade sidequests though. Think this might be the first Bethesda game where I only make 1 full playthrough. Disappointing. The decision to go with a voiced protagonist was catastrophic, so much wasted potential. If the characters didn't look horrible in NV in comparison I might just go back to that game despite the shitty combat. Now to find some decent NV character face mods, can't seem to ever make a cute girl character in it for some reason.

Doc_Drop

The decision to go with a voiced protagonist was catastrophic, so much wasted potential

This is a big bugbear for me, seems like it directly affected so many parts of the game. I mean, I had to mod for different pitches in order to get a different delivery. Mods will help when lovely people record some new lines, but that'll be waiting until full mod support

Takuan

I was trying to beat the game as BoS. After the Mass Fusion quest, I was supposed to
meet with Scribe Haylan near The Glowing Sea to procure nukes for the BoS Gundam.
Instead, I tried finishing up some other quests and wound up
defending the castle from an Institute attack (hardest fight in the game bar none, at least with 0 defenses set up)

Well, now
Haylan isn't at the meeting point anymore and I appear to have lost the quest
. I don't remember seeing a "Failed" notice at any point between getting that quest and completing the other ones. I did some exploring in the area anyway and came across what had to have been the spot where you were supposed to go. Cleared it out thinking maybe I'd run into whoever I was supposed to go with, but there wasn't anything there.

On the Minutemen side
I'm supposed to talk to Sturges to get ready for an assault on The Institute
, so did I abandon the BoS without realizing?

Started a melee/stealth character recently, am really tired of the lack of handmade sidequests though. Think this might be the first Bethesda game where I only make 1 full playthrough. Disappointing. The decision to go with a voiced protagonist was catastrophic, so much wasted potential. If the characters didn't look horrible in NV in comparison I might just go back to that game despite the shitty combat. Now to find some decent NV character face mods, can't seem to ever make a cute girl character in it for some reason.
There really doesn't appear to be a particularly compelling reason to go through the game with different character, right? The majority of the story plays out in exactly the same way, so even if you wanted to try a different playstyle, knowing the outcome is identical in practically every quest of note really doesn't inspire motivation. The game was essentially designed as a one-shot experience, albeit a very long one.

To be honest, I'm starting to think that Skyrim was much more compelling from a pure replayability standpoint. I'm actually...getting bored now, a feeling I've never had from a Bethesda game EVER. When I get a PC that can play the Witcher 3 well I'll probably never touch this game again until some great mods come out. I've done a total 180 on the game after starting character number 2, sadly. Don't know if I'm just burned out or the game simply lacks content and my hype made me not notice it. The handmade quests are really good, much better than Skyrim's, but again, there aren't enough of them!

Replicant

The "Your settlement is under attack, please help them" messages are very inconsistent. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't and when you teleported there "SURPRISE! We're under attack!" :/

Vex_

Banned
Aww yea just maxed out Rifleman Perk (Lv.46). Almost ready to hit that first Glowing Sea mission and start the story, ha.

Sitting on 3 points now, where to spend hmmm

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7f!!944!1d5513.3!479212!7d724324.4!1f51111

No commando
No gunslinger
No explosives
No action boy to compliment rifleman.

3764099-5645502955-dafuq.gif

johnsmith

remember me
No commando
No gunslinger
No explosives

It's pretty much my build. Some of us like crafting. Gunslinger + rifleman is redundant, pistols are outclassed late game. And i'm at 210 hours and have never used a grenade or mine.

Vex_

Banned
It's pretty much my build. Some of us like crafting. Gunslinger + rifleman is redundant, pistols are outclassed late game. And i'm at 210 hours and have never used a grenade or mine.

Not even a missile launcher? No fully automatics?

You're playing fallout objectively wrong. You need to delete your save and start over.

johnsmith

remember me

You're playing fallout objectively wrong. You need to delete your save and start over.
I got heavy guns for the missile launcher, though apparently it stacks with demolition expert. Had no idea. My two shot combat shotgun was more than enough for anything the game threw at me though. Automatics are trash. I can click fast.

Seem to be stuck in a story mission.
The Molecular level. Gave tinker tom the chip but he doesn't seem to be doing anything with it. He just stands near his terminal and Desdemona just says: "Give tom some time".
:-/ The last non-auto save I have is 6 hrs of playtime earlier. Am i screwed?

Vex_

Banned
I got heavy guns for the missile launcher, though apparently it stacks with demolition expert. Had no idea. My two shot combat shotgun was more than enough for anything the game threw at me though. Automatics are trash. I can click fast.

Ewww. Ditch that double barrel and get you a combat shotgun (non automatic).

Larger mag. Better upgrade options.

Automatics? Trash? My assault rifle goes ham! Maybe it is because I have a crazy ass legendary perk on it tho...

I'm on survival BTW.

Edit: automatics are bad in VATS I agree tho. But for autos I only use manual.

Doc_Drop

I've never used either myself, not worth the time in my view. My double shot plasma sniper and double shot gauss rifle take care of business just fine ;)

Vex_

Banned
I'm surprised that people don't like big gory explosions with tons of flesh flying around. I don't get it.

I personally like to continuously shoot a body until it is unrecognizable. When I am done clearing out a camp full of people, I go around and blow off each limb one at a time.

Sends a message throughout the wasteland.

Doc_Drop

I'm surprised that people don't like big gory explosions with tons of flesh flying around. I don't get it.

I personally like to continuously shoot a body until it is unrecognizable. When I am done clearing out a camp full of people, I go around and blow off each limb one at a time.

Sends a message throughout the wasteland.

Ok, that made me chuckle. I got a vivid picture of that in my mind. But that's what my explosive combat rifle is for, and also the railway rifle for when I want to attach some heads to walls and surfaces

There are no wrong answers in playstyle i think whatever works for you, I pretty much have just been using the Overseers rifle lately and one shot the standard enemies.

Vex_

Banned
Ok, that made me chuckle. I got a vivid picture of that in my mind. But that's what my explosive combat rifle is for, and also the railway rifle for when I want to attach some heads to walls and surfaces

See? If you had the explosives perk, you could be doing more damage. I heard it gives bonuses to that weapon as well because of its explosive trait.

Join me, and we can riddle the wasteland with chunks of flesh.

Acinixys

IM about 40 hours in and the game has become extremely easy, even playing on the hardest dificulty

Im level 28, and can 4 shot everything the game has to throw at me

Been to the glowing sea, killed everything. The entire top half of the map has been explored and dealt with

And I havent even been to Dimond City yet.

Im having a hard time finding a reason to keep playing. I really feel that STALKER is a way better Fallout than Fallout 4.

Doc_Drop

See? If you had the explosives perk, you could be doing more damage. I heard it gives bonuses to that weapon as well because of its explosive trait.

Join me, and we can riddle the wasteland with chunks of flesh.

Huh, that for some reason had not occurred to me.....this changes things

IM about 40 hours in and the game has become extremely easy, even playing on the hardest dificulty

Im level 28, and can 4 shot everything the game has to throw at me

Been to the glowing sea, killed everything. The entire top half of the map has been explored and dealt with

And I havent even been to Dimond City yet.

Im having a hard time finding a reason to keep playing. I really feel that STALKER is a way better Fallout than Fallout 4.

Thing is, the map itself has different levels of danger/enemies over different areas. The South and East are much more deadly. Also, given that you're level 28 you only have specific spawns. The rarer and more dangerous variations of many of the enemies wont appear until you're into levels 50+ (in my experience).

Also, moving the story along will make the Commonwealth more populated by specific factions. Introducing more random firefights and confrontations

Edit: Also, if you're on PC I would advise the Customize Legendary Spawning mod so that you are more likely to be up against 2-3 legendary enemies per encounter

jesu

My Cait disappeared about 50 hours ago and I couldn't find her anyway.
I had sent her to Sanctuary Hills.
Anyway last night I ended up at the top of the Mass Fusion building for the first time and there she was just standing around.
I can't talk to her though, the game says she is busy.
I'll never finish her companion quest now.
That's the only quest bug I've in 120 hours, so I've not had it too bad I suppose.

My Cait disappeared about 50 hours ago and I couldn't find her anyway.
I had sent her to Sanctuary Hills.
Anyway last night I ended up at the top of the Mass Fusion building for the first time and there she was just standing around.
I can't talk to her though, the game says she is busy.
I'll never finish her companion quest now.
That's the only quest bug I've in 120 hours, so I've not had it too bad I suppose.

Have you tried going to the combat zone and see if she's there, sometimes they return to where you found them.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?

I'm mid 70s and I have barely used a missile launcher or fired a single mini nuke. Never had to. Went with Rifleman/Gunslinger and maxed out my sneak bonus damage -- I pretty much cleaned up shop wherever I went.

Hand Cannon + Combat Sniper Rifle/Gauss Rifle/.50 Hunting Rifle. So much fun.

I'm mid 70s and I have barely used a missile launcher or fired a single mini nuke. Never had to. Went with Rifleman/Gunslinger and maxed out my sneak bonus damage -- I pretty much cleaned up shop wherever I went.

Hand Cannon + Combat Sniper Rifle/Gauss Rifle/.50 Hunter Rifle. So much fun.

same goes for me

N° 2048

No commando
No gunslinger
No explosives

rofl I knew I'd get some heat for that..I'm doing a specific Role Play that's a high CHR/INT rifle/shotty packing female. Also weapon/armor/Power Armor mods.

Action Boy might be my next perk. I am sitting on 3 points hmm I also want Nuclear Physicist for sure as well.

140ish hours and have thrown only a handful of grenades. Never used a single mine I think, haha.

I, too, wasn't a fan of explosives until fairly late game, now I love being able to do this:

fo4missile_by_watevaman-d9l590l.gif

Ok, I love this.

Icefire1424

Wait a minute, I never even thought to try and mod a Missile Launcher. Or a Mingun. Or any heavies for that matter. I...erm..uh...

/runs back to workbench.

Are mines useful? If you are type of player who clears out area from distance using VATS, I don't see any use. If you are type of player who don't use VATS, chances are you be the one stepping on the mine when fighting multiple enemies.

AEREC

Are mines useful? If you are type of player who clears out area from distance using VATS, I don't see any use. If you are type of player who don't use VATS, chances are you be the one stepping on the mine when fighting multiple enemies.

- 10+ mines in one spot will kill almost any mob

- lay them down as you are backing away from a deathclaw

Still...I only use them if Im having a hard killing the enemy by normal means.

Top Bottom