• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Were you able to do that on vanilla size limits or did you mod/console the size limit up?

I modded it to increase the size. But keep in mind that Spectacle Island has size limit that is probably 3 times or more as large as any other settlement after you scrap everything. Don't forget to scrap all the pieces underwater around the edge of the island.

I think you went a little overboard with Curie
RK0CKFA.jpg

Haha. I don't even know what vanilla Curie looks like. Saw a face tweaks mod for companions and downloaded it. It changed Piper, Curie and the irish chick.

What does it mean when you are fighting a super mutant and something pops up that says they are mutating or something like that? I usually kill them before anything happens.

Replicant

What does it mean when you are fighting a super mutant and something pops up that says they are mutating or something like that? I usually kill them before anything happens.

They regain all of their health after your first attempt shooting them to half-health. It usually only happens with special enemies. You can easily whittle down their health to non-existent after they regained it once.

Watevaman

Legendary enemies regenerate their health at a certain point in their health bar, so if you're whittling down the bar and hit that point, you start all over again and have to keep attacking them. If you have a weapon that can one shot them, it doesn't matter if they regenerate their health.

They regain all of their health after your first attempt shooting them to half-health. It usually only happens with special enemies. You can easily whittle down their health to non-existent after they regained it once.

Legendary enemies regenerate their health at a certain point in their health bar, so if you're whittling down the bar and hit that point, you start all over again and have to keep attacking them. If you have a weapon that can one shot them, it doesn't matter if they regenerate their health.

Thanks, guys

I know you guys find my settlements oh so interesting so here are some more screenshots. Last ones, I promise. :D

I am done. I'm seriously impressed that the game didn't crash with everything I put in there. 20 large premade shacks with each having 2 beds, 2 paintings, 2 chairs, 1 table, 1 shower, 1 toilet, 2 cabinets, 7 lights, 1 grill, 1 rug, 1 tv, 3 plants. Added 12 stores, 2 of each kind. 2 caravan rest areas. 1 of each crafting table. 4 guard posts. 32 turrets. 4 artillery canons. A shit ton of trees, maybe 100? And lots of other little odds and ends.

And I have no idea what compelled me to do this. :D

That Trouble Brewin' quest is so buggy. Buddy is stuck outside the hotel and I can't converse with anyone inside.

Yes it is. Happend to me to.

PSA: If you do the Trouble Brewin Quest:
Either take him with you to your settlement or acompany him while he's going to Goodneighbour. Do not fast travel anywhere or he will be lost and the Quest can't be finished anymore

One of the 2 Quests that I can't finish.

Desmond

Either take him with you to your settlement or acompany him while he's going to Goodneighbour. Do not fast travel anywhere or he will be lost and the Quest can't be finished anymore

Which is the other one?

Getting a 100% settlement is driving me a bit mad. It's my final trophy, so I feel like I have to do it because OCD reasons.

I'm using Sanctuary (yes, i understand now that's probably not a good thing but i've invested to much into it that I don't want to start again).

Any tips? I'm at 84% happiness. I've added some level 3 clinics and as much defence/food etc as I can afford. I'm trying to hang around (if I dare leave and do a quest i'll lose around 20% for no reason).

Ugh.

Replicant

You can actually see his progression to the destination on the map. It'll be the one marked 'Send buddy to Goodneighbor' or something like that. You'll see this marker all over the map as he's navigating his way to your destination. You'll also see him sometimes stuck in one area (possibly dealing with danger) or taking round about route.

In my case, I first sent him to Red Rocket but he ends up outside the area I want him in. It's like he stops just outside Concord. So I ended up having to send him to Sanctuary. I don't think I want to send him to Goodneighbor after all of the nightmares of just sending him to one place. Goodneighbor surrounding areas are filled with Raiders and Super Mutants. I doubt he'll make it in one piece. Also you being there likely aggravate the enemies even more as they react more to your presence in the area

Getting a 100% settlement is driving me a bit mad. It's my final trophy, so I feel like I have to do it because OCD reasons.

I'm using Sanctuary (yes, i understand now that's probably not a good thing but i've invested to much into it that I don't want to start again).

Any tips? I'm at 84% happiness. I've added some level 3 clinics and as much defence/food etc as I can afford. I'm trying to hang around (if I dare leave and do a quest i'll lose around 20% for no reason).

Ugh.

I think you don't actually need more than 1 x level 3 clinic. You just need 3 x level 3 shops (it can be restaurant, surgery center, and Armory, for example).

Because atm I only have:

1 x level 3 Food and Drink shop (Restaurant)
1 x level 3 Health Clinic (Surgery Center)

And my settlers' happiness already hovering at 97%. And this is in Spectacle Island, which is 3 x larger than normal settlements.

It always bothers me how people always suggests 3 x level 3 Health Clinic because it sounds like a waste of resources and Caps for essentially the same shops. Seems overkill. I can't believe the programmers of this game were that dense that they came up with such silly requirements.

What I do notice, however, the progressions for the percentage rise seems to happen every 2 days (48 hours) on average, and your presence there does help keep that arrow counter going up.

What I can't conform yet is if you need to be there all the time as at one point I was too busy helping another settlement and yet the counter went from 90% to 92% on its own. I did spent quite some time in Spectacle Island prior to helping the other settlement since I was building the area, adding furniture etc.

Well.... There I was, abusing the qs/load to max Danse' affinity and was wondering why I can't, for the life of me, get him to idolize me.... So I looked it up and lo and behold.... He is tied to a quest line with the BoS.

Well, onto the next companion I guess. Got Pipers, Nicks, MacCready, Strongs, Curies, and Caits. Need to finish the rest and I assume the rest are all tied behind factions or quest lines..... Yay

N° 2048

Well.... There I was, abusing the qs/load to max Danse' affinity and was wondering why I can't, for the life of me, get him to idolize me.... So I looked it up and lo and behold.... He is tied to a quest line with the BoS.

Well, onto the next companion I guess. Got Pipers, Nicks, MacCready, Strongs, Curies, and Caits. Need to finish the rest and I assume the rest are all tied behind factions or quest lines..... Yay

I don't know but everything about Danse this play through bugged me so I went in a blew all the BoS heads off.

The two times I've gotten some crazy good legendary drops in this game have been when I've been free-roaming the countryside rather than fast traveling. Just tonight I got a nimble plasma thrower, a freezing AR, and a double-shot plasma rifle in around an hour or two of roaming around.

Also, I didn't realize there was a plasma thrower option. It chews through ammo, but damn does it do some damage.

I think you don't actually need more than 1 x level 3 clinic. You just need 3 x level 3 shops (it can be restaurant, surgery center, and Armory, for example).

Because atm I only have:

1 x level 3 Food and Drink shop (Restaurant)
1 x level 3 Health Clinic (Surgery Center)

And my settlers' happiness already hovering at 97%. And this is in Spectacle Island, which is 3 x larger than normal settlements.

It always bothers me how people always suggests 3 x level 3 Health Clinic because it sounds like a waste of resources and Caps for essentially the same shops. Seems overkill. I can't believe the programmers of this game were that dense that they came up with such silly requirements.

What I do notice, however, the progressions for the percentage rise seems to happen every 2 days (48 hours) on average, and your presence there does help keep that arrow counter going up.

What I can't conform yet is if you need to be there all the time as at one point I was too busy helping another settlement and yet the counter went from 90% to 92% on its own. I did spent quite some time in Spectacle Island prior to helping the other settlement since I was building the area, adding furniture etc.

I've added paintings and other decorations (even a bloody brahmin trough) and stopped leaving to do quests (not that there's any to do apart from the endless requests of Preston Garvey). The happiness level floats around 85% but if I wait/sleep, it will rise to 86% with the red down arrow next to it... then drop again to 84%. I got completely fed up with it and turned it off for a go on Mario Maker and Rocksmith because life is too short!

I'll have another crack later but I don't see it happening.

Ugh.

Do it exactly like it is described here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutset...out_4_benevolent_leader_trophy_fast_and_easy/

As soon as the happieness gets up go to bed and sleep for 47hrs. Happieness should go up after a few minutes, then sleep 47hrs again and repeat that.
Trying it in Sanctuary will probably not work or drive you mad.

I started a new character yesterday. Female character, idiot savant, INT 1 and focus an melee and explosives, that's my plan.
I'm also playing with english voice-over now, sounds very good.

And I found out that the SPECIAL Book that is laying in your old house in Sanctuary can raise one SPECIAL by 1. I missed that on my first playthrough, very cool.

Ugh.

Make sure all beds are in doors, the rooms are well lit, the defence is high, 100+, have enough people on food then the rest build clinics. When i got it i had 15 climnics and one bar.

It's a broken system and if there's an easier ay to do it, take it.

Make sure all beds are in doors, the rooms are well lit, the defence is high, 100+, have enough people on food then the rest build clinics. When i got it i had 15 climnics and one bar.

It's a broken system and if there's an easier ay to do it, take it.

You don't need light or food or water or high defence. Food and water can come via supply lines and then 1 turret is all you need. 1 settler with 1 clinic will get you to 100%. You just need to build up the base into the yellow bar area and wait about till the trophy pops. Watching for happiness to go up and then sleeping for 47 hours will speed the process dramatically.

BTW Jamaica plain is a good spot as it has a very low build limit so you can max out the build in no time.

JoeNut

So glad i don't go after trophies, this one sounds awful, my only settlement (sanctuary) that i have built anything at is at around 85% happiness, just from me making it look nice i guess.

i'm really enjoying this second playthrough, i can't actually believe how much i missed the first time round, it's like a whole other game! the content is unbelievable. DLC can wait a good few more weeks at least as far as i'm concerned.

As far as new DLC goes, i hope that they introduce some more vaults, i think there are only around 5 in the game and i expected a hell of a lot more, considering that the entire city must have had a huge population, 5 or so vaults seems a small amount.

suikodan

I have questions regarding settlements

1- I have lightbulbs on the ceiling. I have a generator hooked to an interruptor placed on the wall of a house but nothing lights up. It's in Sanctuary and the house where it doesn't work is the character's house. However, I tried the house in front of it (with the Power Armor Station) and it works for... the nearest lightbulb, the others don't work. Any tips?

2- What's with the metal walls? I try to place some but they don't connect right, especially the "plain" corners whose rotation seem wrong. I try placing roof on them but it puts them on the "outside" of the structure. Again, any tips please?

I am up-to and now past Battle Of
Bunker Hill
and I really have to say that faction stuff in this game is weird as crap

So when you are friends with everyone you can pretty much run through that mission and continue as normal if you just select one of the three "ummm I dunno" answers to father. Which I think is expected outcome because the following mission makes you enemies with BoS if you go into the relay. Not only that, but it leaves bunker hill in a weird situation where underground is Railroad territory, upper part is occupied with BoS and Stockton etc. are hiding but return to normal when talking to them. I think that's the way Railroad wants it to play out (I went to inform them first) but how it is made is just so goddamn janky I have no idea what I should have expected.

Same thing happened with one of the previous missions where I was just looking at BoS fighting Institute, neither of which could hurt each other or me, collecting crap and just generally killing everything else, then resetting the situation by fast travelling and returning to the scene, talking to the synth and completing the mission normally afterwards.

Can you really not find/loot a jetpack mod for any of the power armors in the game?

I'm not going with the BOS ending and I don't really want to spend 6 more points into the craft perks to make it myself...

1- I have lightbulbs on the ceiling. I have a generator hooked to an interruptor placed on the wall of a house but nothing lights up. It's in Sanctuary and the house where it doesn't work is the character's house. However, I tried the house in front of it (with the Power Armor Station) and it works for... the nearest lightbulb, the others don't work. Any tips?

Towers have small aoe area. If you want better coverage, use conduits. Build the generator, hook it up to a tower, and then hook the tower up to conduits. Place the conduits inside the house if nothing lights up.

2- What's with the metal walls? I try to place some but they don't connect right, especially the "plain" corners whose rotation seem wrong. I try placing roof on them but it puts them on the "outside" of the structure. Again, any tips please?

Metal walls are not recommended for building. Their placement sucks and they don't stick very well. There are no differences between the metal and wooden walls besides aesthetics. I highly recommend using wooden/metal prefabs and wooden walls.

Need any more help, feel free to come back!

BizzyBum

I am up-to and now past Battle Of
Bunker Hill
and I really have to say that faction stuff in this game is weird as crap

So when you are friends with everyone you can pretty much run through that mission and continue as normal if you just select one of the three "ummm I dunno" answers to father. Which I think is expected outcome because the following mission makes you enemies with BoS if you go into the relay. Not only that, but it leaves bunker hill in a weird situation where underground is Railroad territory, upper part is occupied with BoS and Stockton etc. are hiding but return to normal when talking to them. I think that's the way Railroad wants it to play out (I went to inform them first) but how it is made is just so goddamn janky I have no idea what I should have expected.

Same thing happened with one of the previous missions where I was just looking at BoS fighting Institute, neither of which could hurt each other or me, collecting crap and just generally killing everything else, then resetting the situation by fast travelling and returning to the scene, talking to the synth and completing the mission normally afterwards.

Yeah, I love this game, but the story and how the factions interact are trash.

1. Hard to know without seeing the layout, but I've always found using the wall-mountable power conduits (under Power -> Switches) to be an easy way to manage where power reaches in my buildings. Each power conduit, once connected to a power source, has a Power AOE that'll power everything within its circle; lights, TVs, fans, etc... that don't need to be directly connected (e.g. some defense turrets). You can easily see how far that conduits AOE reaches by moving a light further and further away from it until it shuts off. Power conduits can also be placed on the roof or outside walls of a structure and power what's inside.

2. Wall placement in general is just super janky, I'm afraid. I've never built crazy advanced and well laid-out settlements, but I have built some large ones, and I just found that using the corner pieces to be too finicky; I just stuck with flat walls and would make simple square/rectangle shapes. That way I knew my roofs would have no problem being placed.

As far as new DLC goes, i hope that they introduce some more vaults, i think there are only around 5 in the game and i expected a hell of a lot more, considering that the entire city must have had a huge population, 5 or so vaults seems a small amount.

I agree that I'd like to see some more vaults, but I'd like them to be radically different and not the vanilla layout we currently see. Vaults where they were conducting experiments in interesting ways a la Vault 112 would be a welcome change of pace.

Something with a completely different art style than what we see in FO4 would be what I'd like to see. I really enjoyed how different Point Lookout was compared to everything in the Capital Wasteland of Fallout 3; a follow-up to the The Secret of Cabot House quest in FO4 could be a fun, campy excursion, especially if it takes place outside of the NA wasteland and gives Bethesda a chance to hint at what other parts of the world look like in their Universe.

Replicant

My settlements are pretty basic (and they all have this boxy, Ikea look to them). But they are all functional and have metal walls to them:

1st Row: Red Rocket
2nd Row: Starlight Drive-In (2 pics), Hangman Alley, and Nordhagen Beach
3rd Row: Taffington Boathouse
4th Row: Finch Farm (2pics) and Kingsport Lighthouse (2pics)

Cabot House dlc would be nice. I wouldn't mind some kind of mind tricks associated with Pickman that allows us some kind of glimpse into a future Elder Scrolls where we are in a medieval-fantasy world in which we can only use melee weapons, old and new.

Maybe a standalone dlc that has us playing as a synth would be great. See how it is to be a synth and to be treated as one. Would allow for cybernetics like in F3 but improved.

Nice settlements Replicant. I just don't like metal walls and their sticky placements tbh.

BizzyBum

Bethesda needs to fix this shit in their next game. If the Witcher 3 can have real time outdoor environments while inside then so can Fallout and TES. And even if they can't, they can do a much better job then below.

My settlements are pretty basic (and they all have this boxy, Ikea look to them). But they are all functional and have metal walls to them:

1st Row: Red Rocket
2nd Row: Starlight Drive-In (2 pics), Hangman Alley, and Nordhagen Beach
3rd Row: Taffington Boathouse
4th Row: Finch Farm (2pics) and Kingsport Lighthouse (2pics)

Holy shit at the lighthouse pic. That's fucking awesome. :D

BizzyBum

After doing the Institute I went back to a previous save and sided with the Railroad this time.

I thought this was going to be more of a "good guy" ending but it's really not, though still better than siding with the Institute most likely. Yes, you destroy the Institute and free the synths, but you also destroy a huge chunk of land above ground and create a huge cesspool of radiation. Freeing the synths is ultimately a more humane thing to do then just let them be slaves of the Institute but as we saw they can be used for harm if they fall into the wrong hands (reprogrammed to do terrible things). There's also the factor that a ton more will be running around the Commonwealth now, and this would probably cause more fighting and death among the people who find out trying to kill them, at least at the start. We also destroyed the Prydwen and killed hundreds of BoS just because they don't like us for... reasons.

Since I did the Institute first, I actually felt really bad seeing Shaun lay on his deathbed as I'm about to stroll up and destroy pretty much everything he has worked on his entire life. Talk about being a shit dad. lol

And speaking of Shaun, totally didn't see them letting me take the kid Shaun synth back with me. Not gonna lie, it's actually really creepy to have him around and act like he's your son when your real son just died. And what, you're just going to pretend he's gonna be a 10 year old boy forever? I guess I could have left him behind but I felt bad.

Up next, the BoS path.

Hey guys, PC fallout 4 user. So its been awhile since I played fallout 4. Last time I played it was during release. Anyways I just booted it up today and I am getting crashes in the main menu. No idea why. I did steam's "verify integrity of game cache" and everything was fine. Any ideas?

Hey guys, PC fallout 4 user. So its been awhile since I played fallout 4. Last time I played it was during release. Anyways I just booted it up today and I am getting crashes in the main menu. No idea why. I did steam's "verify integrity of game cache" and everything was fine. Any ideas?

You have any mods installed?

I got the Plat on ps4. Played about 120 hours, time to give it a rest till mods or dlc. I went with railroad after I tried them all,
told Shaun I would see him in he'll before shooting him with a shotgun lol
I liked that ending best

suikodan

Need any more help, feel free to come back!

1. Hard to know without seeing the layout, but I've always found using the wall-mountable power conduits (under Power -> Switches) to be an easy way to manage where power reaches in my buildings. Each power conduit, once connected to a power source, has a Power AOE that'll power everything within its circle; lights, TVs, fans, etc... that don't need to be directly connected (e.g. some defense turrets). You can easily see how far that conduits AOE reaches by moving a light further and further away from it until it shuts off. Power conduits can also be placed on the roof or outside walls of a structure and power what's inside.

2. Wall placement in general is just super janky, I'm afraid. I've never built crazy advanced and well laid-out settlements, but I have built some large ones, and I just found that using the corner pieces to be too finicky; I just stuck with flat walls and would make simple square/rectangle shapes. That way I knew my roofs would have no problem being placed.

Thanks for the answers guys! I'll try that

What mods do you guys play with?

When it came out I played it to death. Now looking at getting back into it, with some mods for flavor.

Replicant

WTF @ this game encouraging bigotry?

Like I mentioned on previous page, my happiness level has increased to 97% and then stuck there. I couldn't figure out why as everything seems to be fine.

I never believed about the whole "There must be a Synth infiltrator amongst your settlers" thing. But me being me, I had to know. It was hard but I ended up capping all of my settlers to see if there is indeed a Synth inflitrator and lo and behold, there was!

I don't actually want to kill him. For all I know he has a Synth Component but I'm not sure if he's the Institute mole or just a Synth who doesn't know he is one. So upon re-winding the game save, I decided to just send him to another settlement.

Lo and behold, my settlement happiness level has now increased again. WTF, Bethesda?! Why are you making this a game mechanic and part of the trophy achievement? And it's fucked up that the only way you can know is to kill them first then rewinding your save.

WTF @ this game encouraging bigotry?

Like I mentioned on previous page, my happiness level has increased to 97% and then stuck there. I couldn't figure out why as everything seems to be fine.

I never believed about the whole "There must be a Synth infiltrator amongst your settlers" thing. But me being me, I had to know. It was hard but I ended up capping all of my settlers to see if there is indeed a Synth inflitrator and lo and behold, there was!

Now, I don't want to kill him. For all I know he has a Synth Component but I'm not sure if he's the Institute mole or just a Synth who doesn't know he is one. So upon re-winding the game save, I decided to just send him to another settlement.

Lo and behold, my settlement happiness level has now increased again. WTF, Bethesda?!
While that may be frustrating, it sounds awesome.

Replicant

While that may be frustrating, it sounds awesome.

I guess I give them credit for instilling that 1950s cold-war/alien paranoia prevalent in films back then ("The War of the World", "Invasion of the Body Snatcher", etc). But making it part of the gameplay is just nope!

Here he is btw:

Is it weird that I feel bad for capping him off in that one timeline?

Sorry buddy. In the current timeline, this never happens. You just live happily in another settlement.

The whole thing reminds me of that random thing in the game where you encounter
two guys with the same name and look and both of them claim that the other is a synth

Is the Benevolent Leader trophy fucked?

Got every other trophy, and reading up on what's needed for this last one, it sounds a right pain in the arse.

Only got like 16,000 caps, and supply routes might be an issue. All of my materials are at the Red Rocket.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So before getting there going through a certain endgame quest,
The Nuclear Option
, does it lock out any surrounding locations that I should finish off first?

Top Bottom