• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Replicant

Is it true that there's basically no use to building fences/walls/etc. around the perimeter of your settlements? I had already built castle-like walls around Abernathy Farm and County Crossing, and was probably going to do the same to The Slog since it seems to be constantly getting bum-rushed by a dozen higher level Super Mutants at a time. I've read that during such attacks, the game will just spawn things wherever, including right in the center of the settlement.

Yes and no. In general, you shouldn't see Gate/Fence/Walls as a way to exclude enemies. You should see it as a way to tunnel enemies towards the lovely embrace of your heavy gun turrets.

Having said that, some settlements like Red Rocket you can gate very well since enemies always come from the front of the area. So if you gate it and you put turrets on the top, they'll shred the Super Mutants to oblivion. Having a gate also prevents them from being able to explode their idiotic brain and destroy your crops before they get shredded by your turrets.

Also, be careful that gating your settlement often means that your provisioners (supply line) can't reach your workbench. In most cases this doesn't seem to be a problem but I've experienced situations in Sanctuary where I wonder if I make things difficult for them.

Last but not least, no gate can keep Synth Infiltrators from pretending to be one of the settlers then attack from inside. Obviously said infiltrators will be immediately disposed by the other settlers or your turrets but they usually brings with them a squad of Synth troops.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I had a nice little castle in progress at the Abernathy Farm of all places, just because I could. Completely ringed the Abernathy's crappy little shack in concrete foundations, leaving plenty of room for all the existing crops and the brahmin pasture. Laid out enough beds for everyone within the castle walls. There was even still a huge area beyond the gate I planned to put some prefab shacks for any settlers I deemed unworthy of living in the walls.

ScreenShot17_zpsyesehoff.png~original

Question for others: Can NPCs use the Broadsider with unlimited ammo, or is it flagged like the Fatman/RL where they'll run out of ammo?

It's easy enough to find out, quicksave give a settler the broadsider and a canonball, kill another settler and see if the guy with the broadsider pops off a second shot or puts it away and tries to punch you. Reload

It's not like defending your settlements matters, right?

I've stopped responding to the "settlement x is under attack" prompts after I realized that nothing happens after the "failed to protect settlement x" message. The map temporarily shows some wonky stuff like reduced number of settlers as if they were killed or less defense as if turrets were destroyed (which can both happen if you were there during the fight), but if you travel there everything is fine.

I still build defenses (value >food+water) in each settlement to reduce the number of times they are attacked, though.

Up until recently I had a defense rating of over 2000 on Spectacle Island. I put heavy laser, missile, and second tier ballistic turrets all around the outer edge of the whole island. It got attacked and I was in the middle of something so I ignored it. When I finally returned 90% of my turrets were down and had to be repaired. I had well over 100 turrets placed. I found one single super mutant body. That was when I realized that the settlements are bugged or something. I no longer care and let them fend for themselves. I ended up redoing the whole island after that.

Is damage shown in Pip-Boy for any weapon final number based on your mods/perks?

I got legendary two shot hunting rifle. Modded it to max and it shows 234 in pipboy. I read contradictory theories about how two shots weapon damage is calculated. Will my rifle inflict damage of 234 or 468? Does it consume one bullet or two bullet with each shot fired? Of course, some of the damage would be nullified based on enemy armor and other things but I just want to know how I should read that number on my side.

I tried to once. Then I got there and there was nobody there. So I never cared anymore.

Enemies wont' show up immediately. I have noticed that if you immediately fast travel to location after you get notification, you have to wait there a bit.

I usually defend settlements if they are linked from supply lines. I've around 10-11 from northwest part of the map linked. For other settlements, it depends on the mood. If I'm close to next level up, I may do it to speed it up.

Is damage shown in Pip-Boy for any weapon final number based on your mods/perks?

I got legendary two shot hunting rifle. Modded it to max and it shows 234 in pipboy. I read contradictory theories about how two shots weapon damage is calculated. Will my rifle inflict damage of 234 or 468? Does it consume one bullet or two bullet with each shot fired? Of course, some of the damage would be nullified based on enemy armor and other things but I just want to know how I should read that number on my side.

I think it "doubles" your vanilla damage. The first bullet deals the shown damage (from the mods and your perks) and the second bullet fired deals the vanilla damage. Not very good for semi-auto weapons. Works greatly with fully automatic weapons.

So yes, the damage shown in your pip-boy is with all the mods and perks.

I think it "doubles" your vanilla damage. The first bullet deals the shown damage (from the mods and your perks) and the second bullet fired deals the vanilla damage. Not very good for semi-auto weapons. Works greatly with fully automatic weapons.

So yes, the damage shown in your pip-boy is with all the mods and perks.

Oh well...excitement didn't last long...:( It is still second best weapon for me after Gauss rifle (Last Minute from Ronnie Shaw) I have right now which does 482 damage.

I still have so many locations to explore. Haven't discovered Glowing Sea yet.

squadr0n

Im having a problem getting the Ballistic Weave upgrade from the RailRoad.

I finished the quest: Boston After Dark up to the point where you have to speak with the doctor but whenever I try to talk to him he just wants to heal me and way complete the quest. Anyone have this issue and know how to fix it?

Im having a problem getting the Ballistic Weave upgrade from the RailRoad.

I finished the quest: Boston After Dark up to the point where you have to speak with the doctor but whenever I try to talk to him he just wants to heal me and way complete the quest. Anyone have this issue and know how to fix it?
I have this too. I recently learned it's because I turned in Butchers Bill first. No fix. Kiss ballistic weave goodbye.

Replicant

I like defending settlement. Some of them can be quite challenging to downright hard if you don't have sizeable population or turrets to back you up. Some of my horrifying encounters include:

* A pack of 7-8 Super Mutant warlords equipped with minigun and missile launcher - I had to play hide and seek along the coastline of Warwick Farm so I could pick them off one by one. Still, I lost 2 settlers, Bill Sutton and Cedric Hampton during the raid.

* A group of bloated ghouls attacking Croupe Manor. If I knew it'd be this variety of ghoul, I'd have wore power a armor before coming. That radiation eat up your health quickly.

* A pack of Synth, led by Synth Infiltrator who was one of my settlers. I think this was more of shock because I never had Synth attacking my settlement before and even bigger shock is that one of my settlers were skin jobs!

DarthWoo

I think I actually might have a problem with defending a settlement against a synth infiltrator. I fast traveled to a settlement that needed defending, and arrived just in time to see a settler getting disintegrated by one of my turrets. I assume that this was what I was supposed to defend against, but the defend settlement objective isn't going away. I made sure to run around the perimeter and check for anything incoming, but there wasn't anything.

DarthWoo

Are Preston Garvey's "help this settlement" quests unending or should I be doing them all? I've hit the point where they start to repeat.

They are unending. They can be a decent source of xp at least, especially since you typically only have to actually kill one thing to complete it, so I just either sneak past everything else or kill everything along the way if I want their stuff.

it'll do 238
it consumes only one round of ammo
first bullet does damage based on weapon mods, second does damage based on the vanilla version of the weapon. So 238 = (Weapon Mod damage + Vanilla)
I can't tell you if your perks affects the second bullets damage. My character is melee and explosives. But i can tell you that i have a 2 shot 10mm, the base damage is 18 on a vanilla 10mm, and when i swapped mods from my pimped out 10mm (whose damage was 31) to the 2 shot, the damage is only 49. I have neither gunslinger or bloody mess.

Replicant

I think I actually might have a problem with defending a settlement against a synth infiltrator. I fast traveled to a settlement that needed defending, and arrived just in time to see a settler getting disintegrated by one of my turrets. I assume that this was what I was supposed to defend against, but the defend settlement objective isn't going away. I made sure to run around the perimeter and check for anything incoming, but there wasn't anything.

Yes it is. Just travel away. You'll be told that you failed the mission and lost one settler. Don't worry. That lost settler is the synth infiltrator.

DarthWoo

Yes it is. Just travel away. You'll be told that you failed the mission and lost one settler. Don't worry. That lost settler is the synth infiltrator.

It's what I ultimately did anyway. Came back and two turrets and a generator were damaged though. Such a pain to have to waste materials on repairing things.

Edit: Are there any good places from which to just randomly snipe hostile NPCs? I finally worked up my rifle perk and modded the heck out of a two-shot hunting rifle to a .50 cal with a long recon scope. I went to the Finch Farm and perched on the overpass to pick off some of the Gunners in their camp up north, but there weren't so many of them.

Replicant

It's what I ultimately did anyway. Came back and two turrets and a generator were damaged though. Such a pain to have to waste materials on repairing things.

Just store your turrets and generators back into your inventory. IIRC, it'll fix itself back when you place it back. With turrets, you can even get a higher Mark turrets (ie. MK7 instead of 5 or 3, for example).

it'll do 238
it consumes only one round of ammo
first bullet does damage based on weapon mods, second does damage based on the vanilla version of the weapon. So 238 = (Weapon Mod damage + Vanilla)
I can't tell you if your perks affects the second bullets damage. My character is melee and explosives. But i can tell you that i have a 2 shot 10mm, the base damage is 18 on a vanilla 10mm, and when i swapped mods from my pimped out 10mm (whose damage was 31) to the 2 shot, the damage is only 49. I have neither gunslinger or bloody mess.

Why make it such a confusing thing...sshh...just count maximum damage for one bullet and double it. If weapon description is simple, this should be simple too.

With turrets, you can even get a higher Mark turrets (ie. MK7 instead of 5 or 3, for example).

This is different for each settlement. At Sancutary Hills, I only get MK1.

Filben

This game... so much fun. Should have been in bed for two hours but I couldn't stop playing. And Fallout 1 was one the games I grew up with. But whenever I need a sip of nostalgia I play them. The gameplay of Fallout 4 on the other hand is so smooth compared to F3 and New Vegas. It's not too complex but offers great choices how to progress and what to do.

But I have those old "Bethesda problems" like constantly dealing with weight capacity :/ And I can't decide whether to go for pistols, snipers/rifles or even melee?

And, hell, I'm totally in love with the voice of the female protagonist. Reminds me so much of Emma Stone with that husky voice. Could listen to her—and now my character—all day long.

Replicant

This is different for each settlement. At Sancutary Hills, I only get MK1.

Not quite.

Sanctuary and Red Rocket only get MK1 regardless how many times you swap it.

Places like Taffington Boathouse is limited up to MK3, IIRC.

But places like Nordhagen Beach, Finch Farm, Spectacle Island gets everything from MK1 to MK7. If you just don't pick and choose, the system usually just gives you the lowest possible number.

Not quite.

Sanctuary and Red Rocket only get MK1 regardless how many times you swap it.

Places like Taffington Boathouse is limited up to MK3, IIRC.

But places like Nordhagen Beach, Finch Farm, Spectacle Island gets everything from MK1 to MK7. If you just don't pick and choose, the system usually just gives you the lowest possible number.

Sorry for not being clear. I meant what you just said in detail. :)

BizzyBum

What's up with the TAA in this game? It's super blurry and actually makes my eyes hurt when playing. I've been playing with AA off this entire time and I read in the nvidia tweak guide that TAA gives the game a massive increase in image quality with practically no FPS loss which surprised me so I gave it a go. The FPS was good but damn is it a blurry mess. Going back to no AA.

Got the Underground Undercover bug. Lost 4 hours of gameplay. Went back to the Mass Fusion quest. This time I didn't go over to the Airport and Prydwen and kill every BoS I could find after making them hostile with that quest. Hopefully this will fix it. I tried the resurrect stuff but it just wasn't working.

Got my Platinum. Will take a break until DLC news hits

Yeah same for me. Actually started a new character but it got boring pretty quick. I'll wait for something new to get me back into the game.
Or maybe I'll even wait 1-2 years and then just buy the GotY and start all over again.
If the first DLC announcement can get me hyped I might buy the season pass. If not I'll wait for the GotY

Just found the Yangtze and started the Mission "There be Monsters"

On the docks behind The Shamrock Taphouse you will see some destroyed ships. swim to them. its in the middle, you may need a Hazmat suit or Rad-X as one of the wrecked boats are very radioactive. You cannot reach it with Power Armour you need to be able to swim!

A fun mission overall, and a great unique weapon as an award.

It is really annoying how they can do some great side missions like this and The Silver Shroud, yet balls up every Main quest mission.

Well finished the game at last!

I sided with the railroad.

Institute seemed too uncaring about what they were doing to people topside, and the Brotherhood were just Aholes about everything. Miniutemen could have been fun though, but was already deep in the RR story.

I admit, it was a bit heartbreaking to have to betray Father and all that, after searching for him for so long. Ending voiceover was alright I suppose, just a mother lamenting what could have been, and determined to build a future in the world she has found herself in.

Time to mod the crap out of the game and have some fun I think. Though, it will get put on the backburner for a while, so I can finish some other games up.

The Any Mod, Any Weapon mod is amazing.

My favorite has to be the laser sniper rifle. It has the targeting computer from the missile launcher so you can lock on to the target and get the sure shot. Might go back and put a suppressor on it. It's definitely going to replace my existing sniper rifle.

The electrified rifle and shotgun are unusable unless in VATS because of the recoil. The rifle has a DPS of 20,850. lol

eDXDKLr.jpg

nf5qYYZ.jpg

xYcuAk2.jpg

wacr1jR.jpg

QcGlnYx.jpg

BizzyBum

Weird, it won't let me build the beam emitter at the BoS airport. I have the materials and I scrapped all the rugs and items surrounding the area and nada. Doesn't even show up red, the emitter doesn't even appear on screen. It worked no problem using the Railroad path.

Guess I'll have to restart the save.

Assuming this is a master race only thing?

Sadly it is. I really hope it comes over to the consoles this year.

I'm beginning to think that my luck and rng just plain sucks. It sucks in Binding of Isaac and it sucks here :(

I've been farming for hours on end to get an explosive minigun, two shot assault rifle.... Noooope, let me give you this left leg instead.

Replicant

The last few settlements I created, Spectacle Island (row 1) and The Castle (row 2):

W2k3Bnm.jpg

I think I'm done building settlement. I found Marina Bay something the other day and immediately went and re-load my previous save. I don't want to be responsible for another settlement. >_>

Does anyone know if Synth Infiltrator(s) will always end up attacking you at some point in the game? Or is this just a random situation?

DarthWoo

The last few settlements I created, Spectacle Island (row 1) and The Castle (row 2):

W2k3Bnm.jpg

I think I'm done building settlement. I found Marina Bay something the other day and immediately went and re-load my previous save. I don't want to be responsible for another settlement. >_>

Does anyone know if Synth Infiltrator(s) will always end up attacking you at some point in the game? Or is this just a random situation?

I found a tutorial online for a way to functionally rebuild the huge holes in the Castle's walls. It basically involves glitching a fence attached to a double-wide, double-high stack of concrete foundations so you can move the whole thing at once. Once it's in place though, it fits almost perfectly, apart of course from the textures.

Replicant

I've never had a synth infiltrator attack any of my settlements, so it seems to be random.

I've had 3 attacks so far. All seems to coincide at the points where my character started poking around the Institute's whereabouts. The last attack is technically about to be undone since I'm redoing parts of the missions so we'll see if it'll happen again. But I know this particular guy is a synth infiltrator. And when it happened it kind of hilarious. Because he was in Spectacle Island, it seems he was unable to call upon his synths buddies so he went to attack on his own. I don't really want to kill him but if he attacks me (again), I know my turrets will give no mercy. I'm thinking of moving him to another settlement that I rarely visit.

I found a tutorial online for a way to functionally rebuild the huge holes in the Castle's walls. It basically involves glitching a fence attached to a double-wide, double-high stack of concrete foundations so you can move the whole thing at once. Once it's in place though, it fits almost perfectly, apart of course from the textures.

I managed to close those gaps. Maybe not as neat as the tutorial, which I didn't have the luck to see before doing it. But all of the holes are plugged and only have gaps to let provisioners in and out. It's guarded by 2 heavy machine turrets + 2 laser turrets so I think it's okay. The entire castle has about 106 defense points. We'll see if that helps during a certain upcoming mission.

332 hours later, I finally finished the game. The ending was meh. Read about the other endings and they are meh as well. Overall opinion: it's a good game but not a very good Fallout game. So many things that I would change.

Top Bottom