• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

BizzyBum

332 hours later, I finally finished the game. The ending was meh. Read about the other endings and they are meh as well. Overall opinion: it's a good game but not a very good Fallout game. So many things that I would change.

This whole game for me is all about the exploration. At this point I know Bethesda won't deliver on a great story, though it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised one game. I thought Fallout 3's story was better but that's not saying much. It was a big mistake to have the premise be about finding your stolen child after your wife was murdered. You spend 5 minutes with them before the war so there's no emotional attachment and it's just weird to be building settlements and exploring without really caring about your kid. There were some cool parts, I thought the whole Kellogg arc and Institute spoiler was well done. And of course the dialogue wheel is just plain bad. They really dropped the ball with that, it almost seems like a prototype or a test which they will refine for the next TES. I sure hope so, because they'd be mad to have a similar system in their next game.

Still, the exploration and atmosphere make the game, and in that regard the game delivers in spades, for me at least. Bethesda always nails this in their games and the reason I always spend hundreds of hours in their games.

Thank you! It looks like I need to farm more XP. Never assigned points to pickpocket prior to this and I'm already level 70. This will take a while.

I think to do this trophy I just loaded an early save, switched to easy, rushed through some main quests to level up twice and did it.

Also for me it didn't take that long to level up even after 70. Some enemies give you a lot of XP now. Especially super mutants.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I think to do this trophy I just loaded an early save, switched to easy, rushed through some main quests to level up twice and did it.

Also for me it didn't take that long to level up even after 70. Some enemies give you a lot of XP now. Especially super mutants.

That's why I was hoping to find some place where I could leisurely snipe a whole bunch of baddies with my long recon scoped two-shot .50 cal. rifle without having to worry about them even being able to close the gap between us at any point. Something similar to the distance between the mayor's office in Diamond City and the people below, except without all the innocent civilians.

Yeah, all those radiant minuteman quests people hate, scale up in the amount of XP you get, so you level up at an even rate even at high levels.

Pickpocketing is the best way to farm Power Armor Frames from Raiders and Gunners. Shoot the guy with power armor with a Pax Syringe, get behind them, pick the fusion core, then kill the driver when he gets out. Note: Most of your companions dislike when you do this, because it's "Stealing", so bring Cait or Macready

DarthWoo

Using that tutorial I mentioned, and having finally gotten my supply lines there, I built up my Castle. This is just after rebuilding the collapsed walls. After that I went kind of overboard and built an entire structure around three large generators right behind the radio station. Ringed the entire outer wall with heavy laser turrets and put some missile turrets on the middle structure, bringing total defense above 130. Totally unnecessary, but at least nice to look at.

ScreenShot21_zpsyrpqczaz.png~original

Well.... I never thought it would come to this.... I'm getting tired of Fallout 4 :(

I've just been running around the wasteland wearing different types of clothing and farming for more legendaries. The building lasted for quite a while but the current selection is starting to bore me.

I just really want the mods to come out for everybody. Bethesda needs to hurry up with verification (and that goes to both Sony and Microsoft!)!!

I'll still be here but I probably won't post much until we hear news of mods and dlc. See ya guys/gals around!

hydruxo

This whole game for me is all about the exploration. At this point I know Bethesda won't deliver on a great story, though it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised one game. I thought Fallout 3's story was better but that's not saying much. It was a big mistake to have the premise be about finding your stolen child after your wife was murdered. You spend 5 minutes with them before the war so there's no emotional attachment and it's just weird to be building settlements and exploring without really caring about your kid. There were some cool parts, I thought the whole Kellogg arc and Institute spoiler was well done. And of course the dialogue wheel is just plain bad. They really dropped the ball with that, it almost seems like a prototype or a test which they will refine for the next TES. I sure hope so, because they'd be mad to have a similar system in their next game.

Still, the exploration and atmosphere make the game, and in that regard the game delivers in spades, for me at least. Bethesda always nails this in their games and the reason I always spend hundreds of hours in their games.

Same for me. That's Bethesda's biggest strength, and what gets me the most excited for these games.

DarthWoo

To my amusement, I found that settlers can apparently become hostile to anything you attack as long as you're within a certain range of the settlement. I was at the Finch Farm to turn in yet another infinite Minuteman quest, and saw a BoS Vertibird flying to the south, whereupon it was blown out of the sky by the super mutants at the facility across the stream. I ran over and decided to snipe a couple of the super mutants as revenge, and suddenly I hear shots ringing out all around me, turning around to see every single settler from the farm running up to the stone wall and shooting into the facility. Worrying that I might accidentally shoot a settler in the head if I keep sniping, I run around to the bridge and go in to engage the mutants directly, and the whole time I see the bullet trails coming in from across the water. If only they didn't all have crappy pipe weapons they might have been a little more effective.

To my amusement, I found that settlers can apparently become hostile to anything you attack as long as you're within a certain range of the settlement. I was at the Finch Farm to turn in yet another infinite Minuteman quest, and saw a BoS Vertibird flying to the south, whereupon it was blown out of the sky by the super mutants at the facility across the stream. I ran over and decided to snipe a couple of the super mutants as revenge, and suddenly I hear shots ringing out all around me, turning around to see every single settler from the farm running up to the stone wall and shooting into the facility. Worrying that I might accidentally shoot a settler in the head if I keep sniping, I run around to the bridge and go in to engage the mutants directly, and the whole time I see the bullet trails coming in from across the water. If only they didn't all have crappy pipe weapons they might have been a little more effective.

You can give your settlers good weapons. Like at Sanctuary, Jun, Marcy and Sturges because they can't die, all have legendary melee weapons that i don't use.

DarthWoo

You can give your settlers good weapons. Like at Sanctuary, Jun, Marcy and Sturges because they can't die, all have legendary melee weapons that i don't use.

I know, I'm just lazy. I had actually considered using the Dogmeat duplication glitch to outfit every settler in the Commonwealth with a souped up minigun, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on very large objects.

BizzyBum

So after doing all 4 endings, my "main save" and the one I'll continue to play on will definitely be the
Minutemen end.

- Institute destroyed however initiating the evacuation siren means most if not all unarmed scientists escape and lots of synths were also saved due to the Railroad. With high charisma can also have Shaun help you at the end giving you the synth shutdown sequence.

- Railroad is alive and still an ally.

- BoS also still alive and an ally.

Definitely the best "good ending" you can get.

I think I'm almost done with everything I need to do. Just 3 more achievements left (100% settlement, all bobble-heads, max companion level), maxing out every companion for quest and perk, and finishing up any locations I didn't go to. Once that's over, it's just settlement building and legendary hunting until the DLC.

Costia

I am ~7-8 hours into the game. Currently at the quest where I
have to go into the glowing sea to find someone
.Are there any cheap good weapons I can craft?
Currently, I am mostly using a tactical 10mm pistol as a medium-range weapon. So i am looking for something similar, maybe a sniper rifle as well.

So after doing all 4 endings, my "main save" and the one I'll continue to play on will definitely be the
Minutemen end.

- Institute destroyed however initiating the evacuation siren means most if not all unarmed scientists escape and lots of synths were also saved due to the Railroad. With high charisma can also have Shaun help you at the end giving you the synth shutdown sequence.

- Railroad is alive and still an ally.

- BoS also still alive and an ally.

Definitely the best "good ending" you can get.

Damn that really sounds good. I think for my next char I will also chose this one
somehow with my char at no point I was able to get the minutemen ending. Which was very strange.

psychotron

Currently, I am mostly using a tactical 10mm pistol as a medium-range weapon. So i am looking for something similar, maybe a sniper rifle as well.

I was at around 45 hours when I hit that point, lol. You should explore more.

Freeman76

I was at around 45 hours when I hit that point, lol. You should explore more.

Thing is not everybody drags it out like that. Since this is so similar to all their other games i find myself doing story quests more than side stuff as well. Otherwise i get sidetracked too much and never actually finish the game due to burnout.

Damn that really sounds good. I think for my next char I will also chose this one
somehow with my char at no point I was able to get the minutemen ending. Which was very strange.

You have to get banished from the institute before starting the Nuclear Option for any of the other factions. You'll then have to complete Form Ranks which has you bring at least 8 settlements under the Minuteman Banner.

JoeNut

Jesus man go explore and you'll find cool stuff, 8 hours in you're way too far into the story imo. Go talk to people and get some missions

Let him play the game how he wants, people.

As for weapons, you'll need the perks before you can actually craft anything worthwhile. So basically, no. Better off saving up your caps and buying some stuff.

Replicant

Now that I've completed "The Molecular Level", I realised why the game was Hellbent on the whole scraping and collecting parts.

It'd have taken me a while to collect all of the parts required for this mission. But thanks to the combined settlements' resources, all I had to do was building the items.

And judging from the post above me, the Settlements also plays a part in one of the endings. I wish our had played more parts in the kind of endings you'll get just to make the game more interesting and rewarding.

I also think the game was trying to do some interesting stuff in regards to the AI (I'll post a video later to illustrate my point) and the branching paths but due to the lack of time, some or many of them end up unpolished or buggy.

I can understand why though. A permutation on one mission often has cascading effect on later mission(s) so unless the developers are thorough with the cause and effect chart while developing and QA-ing the game, mistakes and bugs are bound to happen.

PBalfredo

What do I have to be doing to get my settlements to grow (other than Sanctuary, but even that's started to stagnate)? For example, at the drive-in I set up all basic needs, decontaminated the pond, set up defenses and even established the recruitment radio beacon. That was hours ago and the only person to show up was the Vault-Tec salesman and that's only because I personally recruited and sent him there. So now him and default settler are just farming forever and no one is coming.

DarthWoo

What do I have to be doing to get my settlements to grow (other than Sanctuary, but even that's started to stagnate)? For example, at the drive-in I set up all basic needs, decontaminated the pond, set up defenses and even established the recruitment radio beacon. That was hours ago and the only person to show up was the Vault-Tec salesman and that's only because I personally recruited and sent him there. So now him and default settler are just farming forever and no one is coming.

I've had the opposite problem I think, although I usually just leave a settlement alone for a lot longer after setting up the basic needs. It's after that period of ignoring it that I end up traveling back and finding that there are a dozen or more settlers just loafing around because there aren't enough jobs to go around. Keep in mind that your charisma directly affects the capacity of your settlements, so perhaps it also influences how quickly settlers join too.

PBalfredo

I've had the opposite problem I think, although I usually just leave a settlement alone for a lot longer after setting up the basic needs. It's after that period of ignoring it that I end up traveling back and finding that there are a dozen or more settlers just loafing around because there aren't enough jobs to go around. Keep in mind that your charisma directly affects the capacity of your settlements, so perhaps it also influences how quickly settlers join too.

I have at least 8 base charisma, so it's not that which is keeping me back. I hope I'm not bugged :/

It took quite awhile for the Drive-in to get settlers for me. Other places took so little time to fill up in comparison and I still haven't gotten max settlers in it.

Wait, how do you decontamine the pond? Sweet, the Drive-In seems to me like one of the coolest place to build a settlement.

Man you guys always want me to get back into this game

I think you just open the workshop and delete the radioactive barrels
Yeah that sounds reasonable.

Maybe I will continue my character. And this time I will actually make some settlements and care about them. And then doing the Minutemen ending. Sounds interesting.
But I need to finish Wolfenstein first.

And I really wish they would make some DLC announcement soon.

Let him play the game how he wants, people.

As for weapons, you'll need the perks before you can actually craft anything worthwhile. So basically, no. Better off saving up your caps and buying some stuff.

not really, he just needs to be on the look out for weapons that enemies drop that might have a mod he wants. then he can take the mods off those weapons and attach them to his.

Your Max settlement size is 10+ your Adjusted charisma score. Adjusted Charisma score = Base + Equipment + Chems + Booze. You can get 40+ Settlers with the right equipment and drugs.

Arriving settlers is random. They'll spawn on the map and if they wander into range of a beacon of a settlement with an empty slot they'll move in. Try turning the beacons of the surrounding settlements off

Had a great time playing this today. Wandered around the city a lot finding random things to kill and completing a bunch of quests. Im at level 37 now. Upped the difficulty to hard, so enemies arent a complete walk in the park. Also not wearing much armor (mainly for aesthetic reasons). I have also found myself sneaking around regularly and stabbing guys in the back with my switchblade. I guess its because melee stealth is impossible at lower levels.
Also met Buddy the beer robot. He's a funny guy. I wonder if Fisto makes an appearance, or is he still in Nevada?

So finally discovered Prydwen and was given feeding the troop quest. You know which settlement it was. One of my small group of linked settlement. The one essential to create whole network. If you finish the mission, you lose control and brotherhood takes over your settlement. Well, fuck you brotherhood! You just decided your fate. I read that you can take over settlement again but I don't want to go through that process.

This happened to me too. As part of settlement quests, I turned on recruitment beacon in Outpost Zimonja and Hangman's Alley. Then I was on my way laying waste in wasteland. One day I was just checking settlement stats and noticed both had 15-20 settlers without any resources. It was lolworthy sight in Hangman's Alley.

@PBalfredo, if you have other settlements where new settlers are showing up easily, you can go into workshop mode in that settlement and move settlers to drive-in.

Backlogger

How many Minutemen quests are there? I feel like every time I do one I get 1-2 more. Blown away by how many settlements there are.

How many Minutemen quests are there? I feel like every time I do one I get 1-2 more. Blown away by how many settlements there are.

Infinite, doing them is a good way to grind affninity with most of your companions, even Strong just make sure you don't do anything intelligent like pick locks or hack computers.

huxley00

Put in about 300-400 hours in Fallout 3 and NV and various mods. Played about...50 hours of this...try tricking myself to like it, but it's frankly not very good and has no depth (and is too easy, besides).

I'm sure I'll revisit once various expansions come out and the modding community do something with this. Feels way too much like Fallout: Console Edition.

Filben

(and is too easy, besides).
I find it way more difficult than Fallout 3 or NV. Not that Fallout 4 is a difficult game, but more than the other two. Even on "hard" they were less difficult than Fallout 4. For example traps: Killing me one hit in F4. Grenade? Molotov? Shotgun? Missile by enemy? One hit dead. Never happened in F3 or NV.

Both F3 and NV were played for roughly 70hours. Never finished them, though. Bethesda's curse.

Top Bottom