• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

BizzyBum

Longneck Lukowski's Cannery

BeWhqkXz.jpg

Is there some sort of hidden requirement for building music radios in settlements?Or some sort of special shelving they have to be placed on? I have all the required materials, but the "preview" highlight won't show up when I try to select it. I've walked around Warwick homestead for ten solid minutes and there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can build one. This game is so fucking infuriating. Seems like they couldn't be bothered to explain a goddamned thing about the settlement mechanics.

JoeNut

I must say I'm enjoying my second play through more so than the first one, I'm level 32 now, finished my first play through at 42. This time I'm exploring so much more, sneaking, using vats, it's great

Orlandu84

I must say I'm enjoying my second play through more so than the first one, I'm level 32 now, finished my first play through at 42. This time I'm exploring so much more, sneaking, using vats, it's great

I just started my second play through as well, and I completely agree! For some reason I stopped exploring around level 30, and the game was not the same. This time I am looking at every nook and cranny of the wasteland.

JdFoX187

Banned
So I've been stalking this thread for a while, checking out various settlements and listening to the quest comments. I got Fallout 4 for Christmas and didn't start playing until about three weeks ago. Since then, I think I've put in at least 50 hours -- the vast majority of it building settlements and farming fucking mutfruit and water to purchase more junk to build onto settlements.

A couple questions:

1. I have 15 people at Sanctuary Hills, but a couple of my other settlements are closing in on 20, despite not being open nearly as long. Everything is fine, except the happiness bounces up and down between 79-80. Do I need to do something to bring more people in and/or get the happiness higher?

2. What's the best way to get oil? I've been selling my fucking mutfruit and purified water and using that to buy various things, but namely oil cans, lighters and whatever I can find that has oil in it. Is there a way to just purchase oil by itself?

3. Having just freed Valentine, I'm guessing I'm not all that far into the game. I'm a level 21, I think. Is there a point where I need to quit worrying about settlements and resources and just start pushing forward with the story? Seems rather funny that it starts out with watching your spouse get killed and your son kidnapped, so you end up settlement building for weeks on end.

Still, despite the hatred in Gaming Side, I'm loving the game so far.

So I've been stalking this thread for a while, checking out various settlements and listening to the quest comments. I got Fallout 4 for Christmas and didn't start playing until about three weeks ago. Since then, I think I've put in at least 50 hours -- the vast majority of it building settlements and farming fucking mutfruit and water to purchase more junk to build onto settlements.

A couple questions:

1. I have 15 people at Sanctuary Hills, but a couple of my other settlements are closing in on 20, despite not being open nearly as long. Everything is fine, except the happiness bounces up and down between 79-80. Do I need to do something to bring more people in and/or get the happiness higher?

2. What's the best way to get oil? I've been selling my fucking mutfruit and purified water and using that to buy various things, but namely oil cans, lighters and whatever I can find that has oil in it. Is there a way to just purchase oil by itself?

3. Having just freed Valentine, I'm guessing I'm not all that far into the game. I'm a level 21, I think. Is there a point where I need to quit worrying about settlements and resources and just start pushing forward with the story? Seems rather funny that it starts out with watching your spouse get killed and your son kidnapped, so you end up settlement building for weeks on end.

1. You would need to build some level 3 shops (you need the cap collector and local leader 2 perks). I think only 4 of the 6 types of shops increase happiness, and the descriptions will tell you which.

2. KLEO in Goodneighbor and I think somebody from Bunker Hill or Diamond City sell shipments of oil. If you google Shipment of oil, somebody on Reddit made a list of all the shops that sell them and other junk parts.

3. I think that's the fun in FO4, you can do so much without progressing in the story at all. The main quest lines do open up more interesting quests though.

TyrantII

Man, the Fallout4 reddit is more than useless. It's just a bunch of attention whore posting "look at what I can do" crap.

Coming from the Destiny community (which is all about the videogame SCIENCE!) its pretty jaring.

Least we have this community here.

A couple questions:

1.Happiness between 85-70 is natural, and don't sweat trying to get it any higher until you want the benevolent leader trophy

2. don't think about trying to farm oil. Do the minutemen quests and pick everything up you can, your companions have effectively unlimited carrying capacity to haul your junk.

3. that's really your choice.

TyrantII

For oil, aluminum oil cans are all over the place. They give you oil. Just point your companion to pick em up, and you'll have tons of them.

PC has a beta patch as well to fix the settlement %. Wait for that in a few weeks time.

Replicant

A couple questions:

1. Happiness depends on many factors. The more obvious method to happiness is to check your workbench so you can see which part of the settlement needs improving (they usually have downward arrows). You can also check this on your Pip-Boy.

2. You can buy supply of oil which can then be converted into oil on your workbench.

3. That depends. I didn't start main mission until I built about 10 settlements. I want to go with Minuteman for the final act and they need at least 8 settlements or "Form Ranks" will occur and at that point you'll have to do it anyway. Also, some missions trigger point of no return so you need to be careful as the earlier point of no return missions give no warning.

Last night I saw a Behemoth fight one of those tough 3 wheeled robots. I love seeing these random battles in FO4. Factional battles really make the environment seem more alive.

Redd

There's also a way you can make oil with acid, bones, purified water, and steel at a chemistry station. That makes cutting fluid and cutting fluid is 3 oil. Main way I get oil because I find bones on nearly every quest.

Costia

Just finished the game
as the institute. The final video was really short and didn't mention any of my choices or described the consequences in the future like the previous games did. Am I missing something
?

Found a second piece of leg armor that reduces fall damage by 50%. Combined with the other, I now have 100% fall damage reductions and can jump from the highest buildings and land unscathed. The game feels a little Saints Row-ish with that kind of ability.

BizzyBum

Just finished the game
as the institute. The final video was really short and didn't mention any of my choices or described the consequences in the future like the previous games did. Am I missing something
?

Nope, they are all the same. lol

TyrantII

I finally got the Broadsider and can report than NPC settlers can use it infinitely with only one cannonball in their inventory. Next person to Raid my settlements is getting a surprise.

Another pro-tip, give NPC settlers and linked provisioners a Nuka Grenade, equip it in their inventory, and watch the fireworks!

I finally got the Broadsider and can report than NPC settlers can use it infinitely with only one cannonball in their inventory. Next person to Raid my settlements is getting a surprise.

Another pro-tip, give NPC settlers and linked provisioners a Nuka Grenade, equip it in their inventory, and watch the fireworks!

I thought Settlers didn't have infinite grenades...

Risgroo

Does anyone know how to progress the Silver Shroud quest after killing Kendra? The radio keeps playing episodes of the drama, and the objective marker just leads to an empty spot in Goodneighbor. Am I missing something or have I run into a bug?

Does anyone know how to progress the Silver Shroud quest after killing Kendra? The radio keeps playing episodes of the drama, and the objective marker just leads to an empty spot in Goodneighbor. Am I missing something or have I run into a bug?

Did you close your pipboy with the radio playing? That should trigger the correct broadcast. If not you could always try talking to Hancock and see if that advances the quest.

Just finished the game
?

Yeah, this was my reaction too.
Watched the airport blow up in the distance with a random Courser and that was it. What a terrible ending.

Is luck worth investing in?
I like the look of the perk that randomly fills my critical bar when I hit stuff in VATS, but I need 9 luck to unlock it.

Cincaid

1.3 officially out on PC.

The 1.3 update for Fallout 4 is available as an automatic download for all PC users on Steam and will be available later this week on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

The update has several new features – including PC-specific enhancements like our new ambient occlusion setting (HBAO+) – as well as new fixes for gameplay, quests, and Workshop Mode.

New Features
  • New ambient occlusion setting, HBAO+ (PC)
  • New weapon debris effects (PC NVIDIA cards)
  • Added status menu for settlers in your settlements
  • Added ability to rotate an object you are holding with left/right triggers and pressing down on left thumbstick lets you switch the rotating axis
  • Improved "ESDF" keys remapping support while in Workshop mode (PC)

Gameplay Fixes
  • General memory and stability improvements
  • Improved performance when looking through a scope
  • Fixed issue where player could warp to a different location when aiming
  • Companions can no longer get stuck with radiation poisoning
  • Fixed an issue where Vault 81 residents would not dismember correctly
  • Big Leagues perk now displays calculated damage correctly
  • Fixed issue with third person camera not displaying properly after exiting certain crafting stations
  • Fixed an issue where subtitles would occasionally not update properly
  • Effects will properly be removed on companions when items are unequipped
  • MacReady’s Killshot perk now calculates headshot percentages properly
  • Fixed an issue with NPCs getting stuck in Power Armor
  • Fixed a rare issue with companions getting stuck in down state
  • Second rank of Aquaboy now calculates properly
  • Fixed an issue with resistance not always lowering the damage correctly when added by mods
  • Enabled number of characters available when renaming an item (XB1)
  • Fixed issue with player becoming dismembered while still alive
  • Robotics expert is now usable in combat
  • Stimpaks can now be used on Curie after the transformation
  • Playing a holotape found in wilderness while switching point of view no longer causes the screen to blur or controls to be locked

Quest Fixes
  • Fixed an issue with "Taking Independence" where the minutemen remaining from the battle against the Mirelurk Queen would not gather in the Castle
  • Fixed an issue where invulnerable characters would get stuck in combat
  • Fixed an issue where Preston would send player to a settlement instead of a dungeon as part of a Minutemen quest
  • Fixed an issue where Synths could attack the Castle while the player was friends with the Institute
  • Fixed an issue where killing a caravan would leave a quest open
  • Fixed an issue where Dogmeat would stay at Fort Hagen after "Reunions" was completed
  • Fixed an issue where the player couldn't talk to Desdemona to complete "Underground Undercover"
  • Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck exiting the cryopod
  • Fixed an issue where the player could no longer get Preston as a companion
  • In "The End of the Line," fixed an issue that would prevent the player from killing the leaders of the Railroad
  • Fixed an issue with Minutemen quests repeating improperly
  • Fixed an issue where the player couldn't get back into the Railroad headquarters after being kicked out of the Brotherhood of Steel
  • After finishing "The Big Dig," fixed an issue where Hancock would no longer offer to be a companion or help with the "Silver Shroud" quest
  • Fixed an issue with obtaining the Dampening Coils from Saugus Ironworks before going to Yangtze
  • During "Unlikely Valentine," fixed an issue where the player could be blocked from entering Vault 114
  • In "Confidence Man," Bull and Gouger can now be killed
  • During "Taking Independence," fixed an issue that would prevent the radio transmitter from powering up
  • In "Human Error," fixed an issue where killing Dan would cause the quest to not complete properly
  • Fixed an issue with "Tactical Thinking" where leaving dialogue early with Captain Kells to reprogram P.A.M. could cause quest to not completely properly

Workshop Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that would cause settler counts to appear incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent the player from setting up a supply line in settlements with a high population
  • Improvements to snapping pieces together while in Workshop mode
  • Fixed an issue that caused powered items to stop functioning permanently if its power source was ever removed
  • Player can now build workbenches in their Diamond City house
  • Building wires no longer uses up copper
  • Fixed issue with certain settlement attacks not generating properly
  • Fixed an issue with settlement happiness calculations
  • Settlers assigned to weapons stand will now stand next to it
  • Diamond City house now shows provided power
  • Repairing items will now correctly consume resources
  • Fixed an issue where companion would ignore commands at workshop locations
  • Fixed an issue with crops appearing destroyed after saving and reloading

Wth is a nuka grenade?

It's basically a Mini Nuke that you throw. Children of Atom are the only enemies i've seen using them, which sucks because you would normally just put on your hazmat suit and laugh maniacally as their Gamma Guns become spit wads, then you stop laughing when some asshole starts tossing Nuka Grenades.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Damn. They patched out the Dogmeat duplication glitch. :/

Guess that means no more gauss rifles for every settler everywhere.

Those are some mighty fine fixes.

Settlers assigned to weapons stand will now stand next to it
What's the reason behind this one, anyone know? I guess I'm going to have to rearrange my settlements to accommodate for this.

Replicant

What's the reason behind this one, anyone know? I guess I'm going to have to rearrange my settlements to accommodate for this.

If you assign a settler to a weapon stand, for some reason they'd wander off elsewhere (loitering around) instead of standing behind their stall like everyone else with a stall job. Those lazy bums! They're probably selling off the weapons to the black market behind our back.

It pisses me off to no end because it looks like this lazyass undermines my authoritah! Stand behind your stall and do your job, FFS!

DarthWoo

I didn't see that in the patch notes.

Probably didn't want to admit it existed in the first place. I tested it as soon as the patch finished. Instead of being able to pick up something while Dogmeat is in the pickup animation, it now gives you that little noise for when you can't do something.

Probably didn't want to admit it existed in the first place. I tested it as soon as the patch finished. Instead of being able to pick up something while Dogmeat is in the pickup animation, it now gives you that little noise for when you can't do something.

unplugging my ethernet cable now

DarthWoo

So I was chugging along every faction's main quest lines as far as I could, but now I've reached
Mass Fusion for the Institute, Tactical Thinking for BoS, and Underground Undercover for Railroad
. I guess this is about as far as I can go before I have to kill somebody off? Is it also probably the best point for just running endgame quests to get the achievements fast?

So I was chugging along every faction's main quest lines as far as I could, but now I've reached
Mass Fusion for the Institute, Tactical Thinking for BoS, and Underground Undercover for Railroad
. I guess this is about as far as I can go before I have to kill somebody off? Is it also probably the best point for just running endgame quests to get the achievements fast?

The only point of no return for Mass Fusion is between the Institute and BoS. The split-off point between the Institute and the Railroad is a few quests down the line. But yes, I decided to get all the trophies before going ahead with Mass Fusion.

Top Bottom