• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Ugh, finished the final mission tonight, but I am pretty bitter about it
Spoilers...
I wanted to destroy the Institute with the Brotherhood of Steel helping me, but because I did a castle defense mission for the Minutemen (or was it giving the Minute guy the holotape?), my Liberty Prime mission got scrapped (without me seeing any notice of it) and I lost my opportunity to see that giant kill-bot in action. I really wish the game said something like "If you complete this Minuteman mission, you will be taking them with you during the final Institute assault". Now I missed the greatest spectacle in the game. So disappointed. At least Liberty Prime looked great on youtube :'( I had him all built and ready to go. I just needed to insert that core into his head and press that button. I only held off on doing that to tie up some loose ends with the Minutemen (so I thought), before doing the games last big mission. Other than a game/main story halting bug, this is the worst thing that could have happened.

Welp looks like the "End of the Line" quest is still broken for me even after the latest patch.

Really Bethesda? Really?

That sucks too. I had a nasty bug in Skyrim that froze every single active quest I had going in the game. I had to force my way through the remaining main quest with console codes, but they couldnt save the rest of my game. Did you try using the console method for Fallout? Hopefully it will work out better for you, than it did for me in Skyrim if you do.

Is it just me or does the sun/time of day increment a bit at a time every several seconds instead of just a constantly rotating cycle?

Also, my Steam client no longer says [beta] and I can't opt into a beta either. Is the beta patch thing over with?

Wag

I'm almost 200hrs in on my first play through and I admit I'm getting tired of it already. I think I'm going to finish the main storyline and call it a day.

madmook

Is it just me or does the sun/time of day increment a bit at a time every several seconds instead of just a constantly rotating cycle?

Also, my Steam client no longer says [beta] and I can't opt into a beta either. Is the beta patch thing over with?
Yes, by default the time of day shifts at intervals, so you'll see the shadows move, then stop for a while, then move again at the next interval. This is tweakable in the ini files, but it makes some shadows constantly jittery if you try to make it a gradual effect.

And I would guess that since the latest patch release is non-beta, there's technically no beta to opt into at the moment.

Replicant

I feel the latest patch makes things more buggy. Now settlers are stuck in between my building, some of them go missing during the day, etc. This is starting to become annoying. Fix this shit, Bethesda!

Looking to do a melee playthrough for fun, what's the consensus on builds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl0lKShe55U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MH1d-Xo5o

Both of these look interesting. One goes high strength, the other high luck

Starting Stats: S:4 P:1 E:4 C:1 I:1 A:9 L:9
Starting Stats: S:9 P:1 E:3 C:1 I:1 A:9 L:5

You really don't need Blitz. It's cool and all making you feel like a DBZ character, but when your dueling a Super Mutant Behemoth (For those of you that don't know you can parry the behemoth's club strikes with something as dinky as switch blade.) being good at the base close quarters combat is more important. Also prioritizing Armor over Fashion.

AmyS

DF's analysis on the patch:

It's a great addition to the game that pulls it closer to the look of PC's higher 'fade' settings, but is there a trade-off in play on console - and does this advantage come at any cost to their performance?

We're pleased to say it doesn't in general and both consoles hand in with near identical grades of performance before and after the latest update is applied. However, PS4 suffers somewhat in the transition in one area in particular: Diamond City. In this case, performance drops by 2-3fps on average on overlooking the centre, dragging frame-rate down in comparison to version 1.02. This is not an issue on Xbox One, which turns in identical readings while rising in a lift behind the city.

Fortunately, the Diamond City portion of Fallout 4 is the only area in our test suite that is affected negatively on PlayStation 4. Every other segment - from a Deathclaw battle in Concord to shootouts on top of the Corvega factory - run with precisely the same level of performance as before (including a lengthy bout of play at near 20fps for the latter). In other words, patch 1.03 does very little to improve performance as a whole on either console, and where it dropped on patch 1.02, we still have significant issues here.

Given frame-rates are broadly unchanged, this is a win-win situation on console overall. It's all gain on the visual front, especially in broad views of Lexington where we now see cars, bollards and extra terrain rendered in from the rooftops. And besides the PS4's one 'problem area' in Diamond City, this noticeable boost to detail appears to come at zero cost to frame-rates on either machine. On top of this, PS4's overall frame-rate in the one trouble spot still remains ahead of Xbox One - the margin is simply much closer now at 27fps versus 26fps respectively.

It's a pleasant surprise, and shows Bethesda extracting more from console resources, the result being a more consistent world with less pop-in. There is only one caveat to this: shadow draw distances on PS4 and Xbox One are unchanged from patch 1.02. This means that you see the same cascade while running quickly down roads, where shadow fade-in is still visible directly ahead on the road. Even so, considering this is one of the more taxing settings on PC, it makes sense that consoles keep all shadow properties as-is in favour of tweaks to geometry and foliage fade-in levels.

Patch 1.03 looks like a good upgrade overall then, and our only real grievance with is the failure to address the harsh hiccups to play on Xbox One when switching weapons (or traveling around heavily built up areas). Of all the issue's we're keen to see fixed, this still ranks highly on the list - though for now it can be alleviated by running the Xbox One version from an SSHD or SSD.

Added to this, the game breaking bug reported by Eurogamer's Wesley Yin-Poole last month remains an issue on this patch. This is tied to the End of The Line mission, where an unfortunate mixture of choices means he's still literally stuck at a brick wall and unable to proceed on update 1.03. It's something we had hoped would be fixed for the many others affected, and it's strange that it has been overlooked bearing in mind the widespread publicity here.

Taken as a whole, Bethesda's update is an incremental step forward on console, but some pretty major stones still left unturned - Xbox One's intrusive stuttering problems remain in full effect on patch 1.03, and it's still the case that running the game on fast external storage is the only way to comprehensively address this issue - which we have seen affect three different consoles, each with different levels of progress through the game. Nevertheless, the new update's catalogue of bug-fixes has hopefully smoothed over the experience, and it comes with neat visual improvements too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...out-4-patch-improves-console-graphics-quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=EkGKjQbR-VA

Yes, by default the time of day shifts at intervals, so you'll see the shadows move, then stop for a while, then move again at the next interval. This is tweakable in the ini files, but it makes some shadows constantly jittery if you try to make it a gradual effect.

And I would guess that since the latest patch release is non-beta, there's technically no beta to opt into at the moment.

Interesting. I never noticed the interval thing. Is it like that in FO3 and Skyrim? Kind of breaks immersion.

Has there been any rumblings about dlc? First fallout 3 one came out like 3 months after release.
Not much, but they are teasing "a complete overhaul of Fallout 4 Survival mode. Food, sleep, diseases, danger and more."
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183019

According to Fallout Facebook page:
1 - news on DLC coming soon
2 - overhaul of Surivor mode to include:
Food, sleep, diseases, danger and more. Stay tuned.

Venture

Interesting. I never noticed the interval thing. Is it like that in FO3 and Skyrim? Kind of breaks immersion.
Skyrim did it that way and it's pretty distracting when you notice. I don't remember seeing it in Fallout 3.

Not much, but they are teasing "a complete overhaul of Fallout 4 Survival mode. Food, sleep, diseases, danger and more."
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183019
That sounds like everything I was hoping for in Survival mode. Better late than never I guess.

I need faction help. I want to stick with the Brotherhood, but I want to experience as many quests as possible before locking myself out of the other factions.

Which of these quests, for each faction, do I need to stop before completing?

wbzNVhI.png

green slashes are completed quests

(I stole this chart from another FO thread here on GAF)

Replicant

I need faction help. I want to stick with the Brotherhood, but I want to experience as many quests as possible before locking myself out of the other factions.

Which of these quests, for each faction, do I need to stop before completing?

green slashes are completed quests

(I stole this chart from another FO thread here on GAF)
* Mass Fusion for the Institute (or Battle of Bunker Hills if you betrayed them and not sucking up to Father later on)
* Randolph Safehouse have you slaughtering BoS so you don't want that lol.
* If you use Sturges and got banished from the Institute, it'll automatically start Defend the Castle (from Synth attacks), which I believe lead to the Minutemen's version of The Nuclear Option.

i've been tempted to go onto hard mode for a little while. i guess i'll hold out for survival now

I put my difficulty on 'Very Hard' a while back (maybe when I was leveling in the 30s or 40s?) and the game still isnt too hard. I regularly have to run from battle, if I get spotted by tougher guys (like glowing Mirluks. I HATE those guys), but there still seems to be many easy enemies about anyway. Generally, not being the toughest person in the game makes the experience more fun for me.
Unless when you say "hard", you are talking about Survival mode. I dont think I'll do that for FO4. I finished NV in Survival mode (for the 360 achievement), but the food management was a little too annoying IIRC.

And more ranting about getting locked out of factions, due to choices made in the main story...
Story spoiler

I decided to load an older save (just before boarding the vertibird to get the Beryllium Agitator), as I discovered that not going into the final mission with the Brotherhood also cut off to my access to their radiant quests (as well as missing all the Liberty Prime coolness). Regular BoS quest-givers would completely ignore me when I'd try to talk to them. Without those endless "fetch quests" there is just nothing to do during end game roaming.
I lost about 6 levels, 24 hours worth of gameplay and lots and lots of equipping settlers with weapons and armor and building stuff. An unfortunate sacrifice, but I still want to play this game and I need stuff to do, so I think its worth it.

N° 2048

and just as I was finishing up after 200+hours on the vanilla PS4, they announce DLC and new Survival mode updates.

Fine by me :D

So they're going to talk about DLCs soon. Very curious what it will be.

I wonder if Obsidian is working on them. It was speculated a while back they were when one of their devs put out an instagram picture.

Would make sense since they're adding survival mode, maybe they needed Obsidian's help implementing it into FO4...

rjinaz

]blacky[;195068664 said:
I am now at
the institute
. How much hours to go?

I think I finished the game in 4 hours after that point but I was rushing to get through it at that point. Had already put in over 200 hours.

So apparently Settlers can now steal your power armor regardless of whether or not you leave a fusion core in the frame. I watched Marcy Long jump into my X-01 right in front of me, to go fight a legendary Radscorpion.

Replicant

So apparently Settlers can now steal your power armor regardless of whether or not you leave a fusion core in the frame. I watched Marcy Long jump into my X-01 right in front of me, to go fight a legendary Radscorpion.

It's been that way for a long time. The only person who needs Fusion Core to operate Power Armor Frame is your character. NPC can use it without the core. Which is why the only way your Power Armor is safe is if you store it in an uninhibited area, far away from everyone and guarded by turrets/robots that you control.

The USS Constitution quest in this game reminded me of a certain quest in NV that involved a community of Ghouls
and they wanted to escape the planet on a rocket ship. I was sure it would end in disaster, so it was really nice to see them succeed and fly away.

It's been that way for a long time. The only person who needs Fusion Core to operate Power Armor Frame is your character. NPC can use it without the core. Which is why the only way your Power Armor is safe is if you store it in an uninhibited area, far away from everyone and guarded by turrets/robots that you control.

No, only your companions can operate Power Armor with out a fusion core. Enemies and settlers need a fusion core. Pick pocketing the Fusion core is the only way to get settlers out of Power Armor and retrieve the Frame. Before 1.03 your settlers wouldn't get into power armor if there wasn't a fusion core in the frame, now your settlers just spawn a fusion core and get in.

I have 30 power armor frames parked in Sanctuary with 22 settlers around them. Sanctuary has been attacked a half a dozen times before 1.03 and none of the settlers have ever taken my Armor for a joy ride until the most recent patch.

Venture

It certainly pays to be
loyal and not be a greedy bigoted ass. Apparently if you decides to go with the Scavengers, they'd end up backstabbing you. So not only no Broadsider for you, You get what you deserve: a shot in the back.
Glad I was with the other side then, although I didn't really have a choice. The scavengers were hostile to me before I even started the quest.

The USS Constitution quest in this game reminded me of a certain quest in NV that involved a community of Ghouls
and they wanted to escape the planet on a rocket ship. I was sure it would end in disaster, so it was really nice to see them succeed and fly away.
Hah, yeah. I hadn't thought of that.

N° 2048

No, only your companions can operate Power Armor with out a fusion core. Enemies and settlers need a fusion core. Pick pocketing the Fusion core is the only way to get settlers out of Power Armor and retrieve the Frame. Before 1.03 your settlers wouldn't get into power armor if there wasn't a fusion core in the frame, now your settlers just spawn a fusion core and get in.

I have 30 power armor frames parked in Sanctuary with 22 settlers around them. Sanctuary has been attacked a half a dozen times before 1.03 and none of the settlers have ever taken my Armor for a joy ride until the most recent patch.

Same experience. 1.03 changed it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Some pics of my pointlessly large settlement in progress. I've had to fully knock the size bar down with weapons storing around 3 times so far. Stupid settlers seem to not know how to use stairs either, so they never figure out how to get to where the beds are currently. By the time I finish, there should be one more level of foundations on top of that, then a pyramid in the center, assuming I can work around the dumb transmission tower. It'll also have four towers in each corner that should go to the maximum height and have watchtowers at the top, and some turrets that I imagine will be too high to hit anything.

I do quite like this Darker Nights mod. I never noticed before, but Diamond City really stands out with its brightness almost anywhere I can be in line of sight of it on the map.

PBalfredo

What are the rules in this game for having followers equip and use weapons and armor you give them? Do they need ammo for guns? I just got
synth Curie and I don't want her looking like a ranch hand any longer. I also want Nick to use somethng other than his pea shooter

Is this one of the best payoffs to a quest or what?

Last Voyage of the USS Constitution spoiler:
https://streamable.com/yoyz

I had no idea which way they were going to go with that when I finished the quest, so when I saw that I was cracking up like a loon. Great quest payoff.

What are the rules in this game for having followers equip and use weapons and armor you give them? Do they need ammo for guns?

1.You can't change Nick's Clothing
2.You can can change all of your other companion's gear. You can change the weapons for all companions except Dogmeat, Codsworth and Robot Curie.
3.Dogmeat and Strong are only useful at early stages of the game, because Neither Strong or Dogmeat have any late game armor options.
5. All of your Human sized Companions can pilot Power Armor with out the need of a Fusion Core. A bare Power Armor frame is the best armor for your companion until enemies start Dropping Sturdy Combat Armor, or you get Ballistic Weave.
6. If you put a companion into power armor and it has a Helmet they will take it off by default, you can reequip it manually.
7. Companion's default weapons have unlimited Ammo
8. If you give your companions a new weapon or grenades they will need ammo for it unless it's a melee weapon.
9. The best melee weapons you can give your companions are as follows 1. Stunning Super Sledge, 2. Stunning Revolutionary Sword, and 3. Stunning Security Baton. You'll Notice the Pattern
10. Companions can be picky about the guns you give them, and may switch to their default or a weapon that uses the same ammo as the weapon you gave them.
11. Most companions will swap from their default weapon to a melee weapon they have in their inventory for prolonged Melee Bouts, except curie who will just use her fists, and Strong who's default weapon is a sledgehammer.

PBalfredo

1.You can't change Nick's Clothing
2.You can can change all of your other companion's gear. You can change the weapons for all companions except Dogmeat, Codsworth and Robot Curie.
3.Dogmeat and Strong are only useful at early stages of the game, because Neither Strong or Dogmeat have any late game armor options.
5. All of your Human sized Companions can pilot Power Armor with out the need of a Fusion Core. A bare Power Armor frame is the best armor for your companion until enemies start Dropping Sturdy Combat Armor, or you get Ballistic Weave.
6. If you put a companion into power armor and it has a Helmet they will take it off by default, you can reequip it manually.
7. Companion's default weapons have unlimited Ammo
8. If you give your companions a new weapon or grenades they will need ammo for it unless it's a melee weapon.
9. The best melee weapons you can give your companions are as follows 1. Stunning Super Sledge, 2. Stunning Revolutionary Sword, and 3. Stunning Security Baton. You'll Notice the Pattern
10. Companions can be picky about the guns you give them, and may switch to their default or a weapon that uses the same ammo as the weapon you gave them.
11. Most companions will swap from their default weapon to a melee weapon they have in their inventory for prolonged Melee Bouts, except curie who will just use her fists, and Strong who's default weapon is a sledgehammer.

Good info, thanks!

Replicant

Nah, you were luckly. At one point I only had 2 power armors in Sanctuary and I took out the fusion core and one of them definitely disappears. This was a long long time ago. Way before 1.03 patch or any other patches. Someone else here also pointed out the same thing IIRC. I didn't believe it either until my PA got stolen even though I had no fusion core in it.

That's why I ended up taking all of my PA to my gated, 0 resident Red Rocket. And I've never had that incident again. I have now left 2 power armors without fusion cores in Spectacle Island but I know that if there is an attack, the settlers will likely use them with or without fusion cores.

In fact, there is a guide online which suggest that you left a PA in the castle so that if there's a battle between BoS and Minutemen, Ronnie will help herself to PA and slaughter BoS.

1.You can't change Nick's Clothing.

Unless you're on PC or I miss some kind of a trick, I don't think you can get Paladin Danse out of his PA either.

psychotron

Finished the game....

Took out the institute with the Minutemen. Still friendly with BOS and the Railroad, so I suppose I had the best possible outcome. Time to finish some misc quests and get ready for the DLC!

Replicant

Finished the game....

Took out the institute with the Minutemen. Still friendly with BOS and the Railroad, so I suppose I had the best possible outcome. Time to finish some misc quests and get ready for the DLC!

Just don't
talk to P.A.M from here on forward. Otherwise she'd instigate/ask you to attack Brotherhood of Steel members

Nah, you were luckly. At one point I only had 2 power armors in Sanctuary and I took out the fusion core and one of them definitely disappears. This was a long long time ago. Way before 1.03 patch or any other patches. Someone else here also pointed out the same thing IIRC. I didn't believe it either until my PA got stolen even though I had no fusion core in it.

Did the armor just vanish, or did you retrieve it from the settler that stole it?

I just started this up, and am finding it a little obtuse, for some strange reason.

I've had no issues with previous Fallout games, and don't have difficulty issues with games in general. I typically go out of my way to play "difficult" games.

That being said, I find I'm dying a lot or being put into situations where the inevitable outcome is death. Specifically, I just got to the
Corvega Assembly Plant
, and I don't find it challenging, really, just annoying in terms of arbitrary deaths. I'll note that I ditched the power armor at the Red Rocket because of how annoying it is to walk around in. Am I supposed to just keep it on for the rest of the game, or something? That seems odd to me.

Just trying to figure out what I'm missing here. Any help is appreciated.

I just started this up, and am finding it a little obtuse, for some strange reason.

I've had no issues with previous Fallout games, and don't have difficulty issues with games in general. I typically go out of my way to play "difficult" games.

That being said, I find I'm dying a lot or being put into situations where the inevitable outcome is death. Specifically, I just got to the
Corvega Assembly Plant
, and I don't find it challenging, really, just annoying in terms of arbitrary deaths. I'll note that I ditched the power armor at the Red Rocket because of how annoying it is to walk around in. Am I supposed to just keep it on for the rest of the game, or something? That seems odd to me.

It is absurd that it is so easy to stumble into that place so early in the game through that first settlement. There are a million enemies and you aren't even level 10 yet. You are not alone in that frustration.

As for power armor, you come back to it. Early on you are short on power cores and items to keep it repaired, or even parts to wear, but it will be very useful on later encounters. The power armor you find scales with your level, so don't even worry about the first one you find since you will get much stronger versions later. As you find them, park them at sanctuary for easy swapping. At about 30 hours or so, you should be drowning in Power cores

Corvega Assembly Plant

I'm confused, it's not hard but you keep dying? The Assembly Plant isn't filled with death Traps, there's just a lot of dudes and Turrets.

The basic response to tough areas are
A. Guzzle curatives and shoot up on Chems
B. Leave and come back after you've leveled up and gotten some decent equipment
C. Go get your Power Armor.
D. if you're spec'd for stealth you stealth your way through it.

Top Bottom