• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

It just seemed like
Corvega
was the next natural step in the game's story. Am I not supposed to go there right away after arriving at Sanctuary? Does it make more sense to do something else first?

Replicant

It just seemed like
Corvega
was the next natural step in the game's story. Am I not supposed to go there right away after arriving at Sanctuary? Does it make more sense to do something else first?

After Sanctuary, your next progression should be Concord, which offers its own challange (Raiders, and if you're lucky like I did, a Deathclaw). Then if you really are exploring, which you probably would have to since there's no quick travel yet at that point, you should be encountering the dig site, which should give you decent XP after Converga. There's also that little hole full of rats, the lake full of Mirelurk, all of them offer decent challenges.

Converga is actually an official mission given by Preston to help the people at Tenpine Blluff. And yeah, it is hard and I believe this is where most people give up because they think the game is mostly just shooting. Converga really is the worst part before the game starts to pick up and becomes interesting. Because you will then travel South and
encounters Diamond City, Piper, and Nick. You'll also get to Cambridge and meet Paladin Danse if you listen to the radio closely.

I definitely died a lot at
Corvega but mostly when I was outside it. I encountered it pretty early and did not use the Power Armor.
One thing I suggest is to scope out any difficult area and sacrifice yourself a few times. Just run around seeing how many enemies there are and where the best coverage spots are. If you are going to die, might as well Edge of Tomorrow the situation and learn as much as you can.

BFIB

Just jumped back into this after a month hiatus, and the graphics seem substantially better on the Xbox One.

PBalfredo

Corvega is awful. It's lousy with raiders and turrets at such a low level. There's no rhyme or reason to the layout of that place; I must have passed by that damn elevator a dozen times. The assembly line area is the worst because you're getting shot at from all angles and the place is such a cluttered mess it's real difficult picking guys and turrets out.

In general, the biggest problem I've been having with Fallout is visibility. Dudes don't really stand out. Part of it is the cluttered nature of the environment, but also the lighting in the game. There no rim lighting on anyone and even in mid-day if they step into the shadows of a building they all but disappear. I'm on the PS4 and there is no brightness setting, which is real bad because for pretty much every game I've had to crank the brightness well above the recommended or default level.

The last patch fixed my issue with completing Old Guns. All I had to do was disconnect and reconnect the power to the radio transmitter and the operator sat back down.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
does it matter if u dont do the settlement stuff its really not my sorta bag

Replicant

does it matter if u dont do the settlement stuff its really not my sorta bag

Not really. But one of my characters skips this and the settlements look like shit. Junks everywhere, houses that may as well not exist since the roof is leaking, etc. It affects my enjoyment a bit actually.

And naturally, settlers' happiness are low. So don't do the Happiness trophy on this chatacter.

Corvega is awful. It's lousy with raiders and turrets at such a low level. There's no rhyme or reason to the layout of that place; I must have passed by that damn elevator a dozen times. The assembly line area is the worst because you're getting shot at from all angles and the place is such a cluttered mess it's real difficult picking guys and turrets out.

In general, the biggest problem I've been having with Fallout is visibility. Dudes don't really stand out. Part of it is the cluttered nature of the environment, but also the lighting in the game. There no rim lighting on anyone and even in mid-day if they step into the shadows of a building they all but disappear. I'm on the PS4 and there is no brightness setting, which is real bad because for pretty much every game I've had to crank the brightness well above the recommended or default level.

You can add advanced sighting to many guns and also its a power armor helmet upgrade... It really helped me for this problem. Once you sight an enemy they are marked with a red diamond. Helped me track guys in the dark especially

JoeNut

agreed corvega is too hard at that point, i came back with power armour after i'd leveled up a bit.

Am i right in saying the new patch has made the draw distance further? i seem to be able to snipe MUCH further than i could before

I just started this up, and am finding it a little obtuse, for some strange reason.

I've had no issues with previous Fallout games, and don't have difficulty issues with games in general. I typically go out of my way to play "difficult" games.

That being said, I find I'm dying a lot or being put into situations where the inevitable outcome is death. Specifically, I just got to the
Corvega Assembly Plant
, and I don't find it challenging, really, just annoying in terms of arbitrary deaths. I'll note that I ditched the power armor at the Red Rocket because of how annoying it is to walk around in. Am I supposed to just keep it on for the rest of the game, or something? That seems odd to me.

Just trying to figure out what I'm missing here. Any help is appreciated.

Not sure what version you're playing, but at least you're playing it after some patches. At launch Corvega was a stuttering mess on PS4. But the area can be tough if you go there early on as the game directs you to do. Depending on your build it is definitely doable. I just started a new game on hard and easily cleared with a bunch of Luck perks.

Of course then a radiant quest sent me to Dunwich Borers, and that sucked.

TyrantII

I just started this up, and am finding it a little obtuse, for some strange reason.

I've had no issues with previous Fallout games, and don't have difficulty issues with games in general. I typically go out of my way to play "difficult" games.

That being said, I find I'm dying a lot or being put into situations where the inevitable outcome is death. Specifically, I just got to the
Corvega Assembly Plant
, and I don't find it challenging, really, just annoying in terms of arbitrary deaths. I'll note that I ditched the power armor at the Red Rocket because of how annoying it is to walk around in. Am I supposed to just keep it on for the rest of the game, or something? That seems odd to me.

What's your weapon loadout look like? If you're just using a .38 pea shooter, looks for a revolver or something a little more worthy. Lexington has a lot to explore, might be wise to search around before tackling the plant.

psylah

Did they fix the resource duplication bug or unlimited settlement size bug on the PS4 version?

I feel like doing some building, but don't want to update the game if it's going to make me have to scrounge for mats constantly again and limit how big I can go.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Corvega Assembly Plant

I had similar problems at the start of the game. I kept dying because my weapons did no damage and i took a lot of damage. the game is at its hardest in the beginning so I will just recommend that you leave the corvega assembly plant and explore the areas around sanctuary instead. i must have spent three hours in the corvega assembly maze with my shitty pipe pistols that did no damage at all. i was also short on stimpacks and radaway. it was hell.

But then once i got back, i decided to go and explore. Every new settlement you find, will give you a minuteman quest to go clear out areas. These areas are usually small buildings that you can clear in 5 minutes. they give around 300 xp if you sleep right before you turn it in. (well rested bonus is an extra 10% xp)

you can also try leveling up a bit. its very easy to level up quickly in this game by scrapping everything in sanctuary and building fences. you can scrap all the cars, all the trees, all the kitchen and bedroom equipment and have around 800 steel and 800 wood. go and build wooden posts and fences and they will give you 4 xp each. in 15 minutes you will hit rank 5. then scrap those and build again. just like that you have hit rank 10 and have 10 precious skill points you can put into increasing pistol damage and lowering the cost of criticals.

i also made the mistake of not using the Power Armor. Its there for a reason. It like doubles or triples you health, and even increases your carry limit which means you can collect EVERYTHING.

TyrantII

Did they fix the resource duplication bug or unlimited settlement size bug on the PS4 version?

I feel like doing some building, but don't want to update the game if it's going to make me have to scrounge for mats constantly again and limit how big I can go.

Not that I know of. Dogmeat was patched, but he's just harder to do right.

I'm farming the last of my ledgendaries ATM. I really wish they gave you a critical hit chance for hip and sighted fire. It kinda stinks all this nice perks don't work in FPS playstyle, or when you equip them to NPCs.

It's regulated me to Wounding, exploding, two shot, and insigating.

While I'm bemoaning design decisions; Bethesda why you no make small roof / small upper floor!?!

Venture

Is it under the normal Talk dialog tree? Because currently whenever I try to talk to Deacon, he won't shut up about his damn
recall code
I had the same issue. You just have to
read the recall code to him
, otherwise he won't stop talking about it. Once you do that he goes back to his normal dialog options.

Not that I know of. Dogmeat was patched, but he's just harder to do right.

I'm farming the last of my ledgendaries ATM. I really wish they gave you a critical hit chance for hip and sighted fire. It kinda stinks all this nice perks don't work in FPS playstyle, or when you equip them to NPCs.

It's regulated me to Wounding, exploding, two shot, and insigating.

While I'm bemoaning design decisions; Bethesda why you no make small roof / small upper floor!?!

Freezing is also good it works just like exploding, adding damage to each shotgun pellet, mighty and poison are decent as well. Irradiated is good against humans, but not much else

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just picked this up today on PC, and fiddled with the game up to the first area.

For some reason I feel obligated to play with keyboard/mouse. How are most of you playing? I'm thinking controller might be a little more enjoyable?

Just picked this up today on PC, and fiddled with the game up to the first area.

For some reason I feel obligated to play with keyboard/mouse. How are most of you playing? I'm thinking controller might be a little more enjoyable?

perfectly enjoyable on controller. though i had to completely rearrange the control scheme. Jump on Triangle? c'mon Bethesda

I moved interact to L2, Bash/Grenade to R2, Aim & Shoot/Block and Attack to L1/R1. Jump to X, Pip-Boy to /\, and VATS to O

Venture

Am I screwed out of getting Bunker Hill as a settlement? I finished
The Battle of Bunker Hill
and then did Deb and Kessler's quests afterwards. She refuses to join the Minutemen and I can't activate the workbench. I haven't finished the main quest line yet.

-edit-
Nevermind. It's fixed now. I left, came back, and talked to Kessler again and she gave me the settlement.

I'm going for the platinum in this game, and I need that 'Complete 50 Miscellaneous Quests' trophy, so I'd like to know - can anyone point me in the direction of some easy to complete misc quests? Or even where a batch of them can be found? Those 'Help the Settlement' ones are coming in slow. There were six easy ones with the Atom Cats, but I'm still only at 37. By the way, I'm at the post-game, main stuff is completed, so I can't use the exploit involving the Railroad because I didn't side with them.

Also, anyone know the best vendor to sell a shitload of caps to?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going for the platinum in this game, and I need that 'Complete 50 Miscellaneous Quests' trophy, so I'd like to know - can anyone point me in the direction of some easy to complete misc quests? Or even where a batch of them can be found? Those 'Help the Settlement' ones are coming in slow. There were six easy ones with the Atom Cats, but I'm still only at 37. By the way, I'm at the post-game, main stuff is completed, so I can't use the exploit involving the Railroad because I didn't side with them.

Also, anyone know the best vendor to sell a shitload of caps to?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have brotherhood of steel still active? If so use vertibird grenades to spam the quests.

Ronnie Shaw in the castle armory after the old guns quest is probably the richest merchant.

Do you have brotherhood of steel still active? If so use vertibird grenades to spam the quests.

Ronnie Shaw in the castle armory after the old guns quest is probably the richest merchant.

Nah, I sided with the
Institute, and obliterated everyone else.
Bit of a mistake to do that before I obtained the trophy, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz.

Thanks for the merchant name.

Nah, I sided with the
Institute, and obliterated everyone else.
Bit of a mistake to do that before I obtained the trophy, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz.

If you have an old save file you could load it up just to do the trophy. It only takes around 1 min per mission tossing the grenades and boarding the bird. Then you just get out again.

Okay, so I can't even barter with Ronnie Shaw, only trade.

I need a reccomendation of someone who has a lot of bottlecaps that I can sell stuff to. Anyone?

So quests seem to have dried up in my first run (lvl 68 currently). Do I need to start the mo
lecular
level quest to advance faction quests as I'm only getting radiant faction quests and they are getting tedious.

Venture

sM12cFe.jpg

In the past I've always just waited to buy the ultimate edition to play all the DLC, but I think they've got me this time. I'll probably end up buying a season pass before the price goes up. Clever bastards.

The upcoming DLC sounds nice, but what I really want in this game are vehicles.
Being able to pilot (or even just hitch a ride in) something like the Brotherhoods little planes would be awesome. I think the BoS should have given out radiant quests where you can man the mini gun on those things and shoot Synths and Raiders on the top of buildings too. Im hoping a mod that gives infinite Action Points will turn up eventually, so at least I can fly around with my Power Armor jetpack as much as I want :)
A simple motorcycle for ground travel would be welcome too. especially if we could mod it and run raiders down etc.

hydruxo

All those DLCs sound great. Definitely picking up the season pass soon. Having my own customizable robot companion? I'm sold

Yep, I'm getting that season pass asap.
The DLC announcement got me back into the game.

I continued with my char that I just had started. Originally I planned to make her a Melee focused bad-ass who doesn't give a shit.
But I think I will now make it rather a allround character with slightly focus on melee. And I will play as a good person and will do the ending with the minutemen. Also I will focus on settlements this time.
Had a great fun yesterday. Awaiting those DLCs the game is again a lot of fun.
I hope they include enough new weapons and armor. We really need a lot more of those

Replicant

Some more pictures of a settlement. After all the time I put into it, most of the settlers just get stuck in the stairwells. :|

I had originally intended to have a full pyramid on top, but the stupid tower got in the way.

This is a problem ever since the latest update. It's very annoying. It never happened before the latest patch.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Some more pictures of a settlement. After all the time I put into it, most of the settlers just get stuck in the stairwells. :|

Hah, whenever I return to Sanctuary all my settlers would be standing in an enclosed farm I had made looking around all confused before walking off in random directions, half of them randomly losing their assigned jobs. Such a pain in the ass.

Hah, whenever I return to Sanctuary all my settlers would be standing in an enclosed farm I had made looking around all confused before walking off in random directions, half of them randomly losing their assigned jobs. Such a pain in the ass.

It's honestly best not to enclose things because the AI pathing is terrible. Codsworth, Nick, and Strong are the only people who i can't get to keep a job, and kinda Jun Long he will fuck up farming production and just pick random crops to farm from time to time, so i stuck him on Artillery Duty, which thankfully he hasn't unassigned himself.

I finally at level 70 take the final level in Gun Nut to pimp my Gauss Rifle, what's the first thing to happen after that... a legendary Raider drops an Instigating Laser Musket....

Cool settlement. I always seem to run out of wood and steel, because I dont like scrapping existing trees and busted up cars. They add character to the environment :)

SlimySnake

I have 9k bottle caps and have nothing to spend it on. I really dont want to spend them on ammo since i loot pretty much every corpse and i really dont believe in paying 10 caps for one .308 round.

Anyway, the idiot savant rank 3 perk (3xp on all kills after it kicks in) is glitched or something because it no longer gives me any initial bonus when it kicks in. yesterday i turned in a quest and it popped up the icon but i got no bonus because apparently if you have the rank 3 perk it completely removes the rank 2 perk which gave you 5xp.

the 3xp on all kills is also glitched because it only lasts a few seconds instead of a full 60 seconds.

I have wasted so many skill points because of lack of explanation when you first boot up the game, but this is by far the worst.

I have 9k bottle caps and have nothing to spend it on. I really dont want to spend them on ammo since i loot pretty much every corpse and i really dont believe in paying 10 caps for one .308 round.

Anyway, the idiot savant rank 3 perk (3xp on all kills after it kicks in) is glitched or something because it no longer gives me any initial bonus when it kicks in. yesterday i turned in a quest and it popped up the icon but i got no bonus because apparently if you have the rank 3 perk it completely removes the rank 2 perk which gave you 5xp.

the 3xp on all kills is also glitched because it only lasts a few seconds instead of a full 60 seconds.

I have wasted so many skill points because of lack of explanation when you first boot up the game, but this is by far the worst.

Can anyone confirm this? This is the first time I'm hearing it.
I actually wanted to get the Idiot Savant rank 3 too. But if this is the case I might skip that.
But rank 2 is so good. Feels so good to get those 5x XP. Especially when you get it after a main quest.
I wanted to stay at INT 1 but I can't. I just need to be able to hack terminals so I will get INT 4.

SlimySnake

Can anyone confirm this? This is the first time I'm hearing it.
I actually wanted to get the Idiot Savant rank 3 too. But if this is the case I might skip that.
But rank 2 is so good. Feels so good to get those 5x XP. Especially when you get it after a main quest.
I wanted to stay at INT 1 but I can't. I just need to be able to hack terminals so I will get INT 4.

DONT DO IT!

here is the reddit thread.I wish I had known about this before. none of the youtube videos mentioned it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3t21gv/fyi_idiot_savant_rank_3_currently_bugged/

I hate how it always kicks in on the last enemy so i dont even get the 3xp bonus. my intelligence is also 11 so i get this like once every hour. god i hate this.

Top Bottom