• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

When you talk to them, it tells you what they're assigned to, I think.

Ah I see. Yeah that's new I think. And it's quite usefull also

Anyways, for this playthrough I actually wanted to set up a new main hub from where I go wandering off. I used the red rocket gas station last time and I'm still doing so until now. But I'm kind of bored from the area.
I want to have a settlement that I can use as my main base that is rather in the center of the map.
Wich ones do you propose. Any ideas?
What places do you usually use for your main base?

The Chef

Im really having a tough time understanding the story towards the end of the game
Regarding the Brotherhood, The Railroad and The Institution:
Where is the hate coming from regarding the Institute?
Through the game you're led to believe they are evil. And you certainly feel that way with them kidnapping your son and killing your wife and such. So is the universal hate because they kidnap people? Why does everybody hate synths?

Why does the Brotherhood and the Railroad wan't to wage war on the Institution?
Why do they care? Is it simply because they make synths?

After meeting your son in the Institution are we really meant to stick with our belief that they are all bad and horrible? They give you plenty of dialogue options for you to voice your disgust for the Institution and everything it stands for. But....why would I feel this way? If it was their intention to make them seem really evil then I must not be getting it.

Doctor Li leaves the Institute simply because....she cant take it? Cant trust them? Why? Why doesn't she want to make the robot for the Brotherhood only to change her mind with one brief comment from you?

Now as the story progresses the Brotherhood wants to wipe out the Railroad....why? They acknowledge they are a minor nuisance but they do have a robot that is a good strategist. Why are they not unified in their goal against the Institute?

So now I am in the middle of all 3 of these factions with NO CLEAR direction as to what to do. Is the game just trying to force me to make difficult decisions to be interesting?

I was just doing a mission on Bunker Hill and the Railroad is blasting away at the Brotherhood with Synths all over the place. I sat there, with no one shooting at me thinking "...who do I attack here? Should I attack anyone?" So I just put my gun away and walked into the objective point amid a massive battle.

Am I just too dense to follow this or is this just plain bad storytelling?

Im really having a tough time understanding the story towards the end of the game
Through the game you're led to believe they are evil. And you certainly feel that way with them kidnapping your son and killing your wife and such. So is the universal hate because they kidnap people? Why does everybody hate synths?

After meeting your son in the Institution are we really meant to stick with our belief that they are all bad and horrible? They give you plenty of dialogue options for you to voice your disgust for the Institution and everything it stands for. But....why would I feel this way? If it was their intention to make them seem really evil then I must not be getting it.

Doctor Li leaves the Institute simply because....she cant take it? Cant trust them? Why? Why doesn't she want to make the robot for the Brotherhood only to change her mind with one brief comment from you?

Now as the story progresses the Brotherhood wants to wipe out the Railroad....why? They acknowledge they are a minor nuisance but they do have a robot that is a good strategist. Why are they not unified in their goal against the Institute?

So now I am in the middle of all 3 of these factions with NO CLEAR direction as to what to do. Is the game just trying to force me to make difficult decisions to be interesting?

I was just doing a mission on Bunker Hill and the Railroad is blasting away at the Brotherhood with Synths all over the place. I sat there, with no one shooting at me thinking "...who do I attack here? Should I attack anyone?" So I just put my gun away and walked into the objective point amid a massive battle.

Yeah the storytelling is just bad. Nothing makes sense

1) The institute are shady and kidnap people and are the boogymen of the Commonwealth. Its fear of the unknown

2) Brotherhood hoard all technology and see the institute as competition and a danger to their beliefs. due to their high level of technology/unknown as to what the Institute are capable of

3) The Railroad have no real hatred of the institute they just want Synths to have the option to live their own life if they want

Dr Li:
Made no sense either but I think she saw the good they had done in Fallout 3 when she was involved and hoped they would do good again

BoS -v- Railroad:
Brotherhood of Steel are now Warmongering tadgers. They see the Railroad as a small Ant in the way of them destroying the institute and The Railroad see the Brotherhood of Steel as a faction who would kidnap Synths for their own ends.

The Institute abducts people and replaces them with robots.

And yes, the Bunker Hill mission is a clusterfuck if you're friendly with everyone. The fact that you can get there without picking a side is laughable.

The Chef

I see. Thanks for the info guys.
Yeah, I feel like it doesn't do a good job at making me feel strongly for any one thing in the game.
If the railroad gets wiped our or the brotherhood or the institute I dont think I'd feel much of anything. Im like 100% neutral.

1)
They kidnap people and replace them with synths. This leads to paranoia and fear.

2)
The Brotherhood of Steel hate the use of technology. Or rather, they want to keep it to themselves. They blame wrong use of technology for bringing the near extinction of mankind.

The Railroad views synths as individuals. The Institute views synths as things and slaves in their eyes. So they fight to liberate the synths.

3)
Partially for all the above and what you hear during the game.

4)
She leaves because a colleague of her mysteriously vanished. The Institute told her he died in an explosion but she had her suspicions. When you tell her about what really happened to him, she doesn't trust them anymore.

5)
Because the Railroad doesn't want to destroy the synths. They want to help them. The Brotherhood sees them as abominations and wants them wiped out. So the Brotherhood finds them to be small in numbers and not a big threat, but they do seem them as a problem since they're directly against their agenda. You don't let a group that conflicts with your ideas and mission grow bigger in size.

6) I had the same problem. That part was handled pretty badly.

-The institute intends to rebuild society through authoritarian means, and good old fashioned slave labor from the shadows. They realize can't just appear and subjugate the commowealth so they manipulate from the shadows, think illuminati crossed with Hydra. You learn this as you progress through the institute missions
-Maxson, ergo the BoS, is racist as fuck, and wants to regulate technological progress, he views the unregulated technological progress as the reason the world was destroyed by Nuclear War, and Synths, Super Mutants and Ghouls are the personification of that ideal. You learn this through Maxson's preachings between missions
-The Railroad are of the opinion if it walks like a person, talks like a person, then it's a person. And are opposed to Institute because the institute views Synths as property and tools as means to an end. The railroad opposes the Brotherhood because the BOS want to wipe Synths from the face of the earth. You learn this when you're introduced to the railroad and as you progress through BoS missions.

I don't consider it bad storytelling, but if you blink, have a short attention span or don't try to make any inferences on your own, you'll miss stuff.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
The Institute abducts people and replaces them with robots.

And yes, the Bunker Hill mission is a clusterfuck if you're friendly with everyone. The fact that you can get there without picking a side is laughable.

It's a gold mine if you let them all shoot it out and loot all the bodies though. Tons of T60 pieces, gauss rifles, and other good stuff.

Venture

Anyways, for this playthrough I actually wanted to set up a new main hub from where I go wandering off. I used the red rocket gas station last time and I'm still doing so until now. But I'm kind of bored from the area.
I want to have a settlement that I can use as my main base that is rather in the center of the map.
I've always planned to build a big home base at the Starlite Drive-In at some point. Plenty of space and it's sort of centrally located.

kidko

I've ended up using country crossing for my central spot. It's small, but also easy to get to from a lot of places (especially if you're an aquaboy/girl like me and can just hop in the river from downtown)

Bunker Hill is the most centralized Location in relation to all of the other settlements but you can only get it late in to the game. After that County Crossing, Hangman's Alley and Boston Airport. Personally I use Boston Airport as my Provisioner Hub, since you can't produce anything besides the bare minimal amount of water for you settlers there.
Here's an enemy Heat map of the commonwealth.
Fallout-4-Map.png

Showaddy

So after getting hundreds of useless legendary drops over multiple playthroughs an Explosive Minigun just dropped for my heavy weapons character off some random ghoul in Hubris Comics...

The entire game has now become a hilariously entertaining joke.

So there is a useful minigun in this game? I pumped 4 points into explosives/demolitions and am now in the process of putting another 4 into heavy weapons (for my so far disappointing, missile launcher). I'll try a mini-gun again then. I have heard very good things about the gatling laser, so if the missile launcher and mini gun still suck with maxed heavy weapons, at least I'll still have that.

Venture

françois;196497200 said:
I really like quite a few of those features, but the "no fast travelling" is some serious BS if you can't turn that off. We'll have to wait for an announcement to hear more about it.
Yeah, that's my one big gripe. I do a lot of wandering around and enjoy it, but I'd like to be able to fast travel if I'm going somewhere I've already been 100 times. I suppose you could bump down the difficulty, fast travel, and then go back to Survival.

I've always planned to build a big home base at the Starlite Drive-In at some point. Plenty of space and it's sort of centrally located.
Yeah if I build a big settlement it would be there. Really an amazing place. But it is to near to the red rocket station, I would still be hanging out in the same place

I've ended up using country crossing for my central spot. It's small, but also easy to get to from a lot of places (especially if you're an aquaboy/girl like me and can just hop in the river from downtown)
Hm yeah seems also good but a little to far to the east for my taste.

Bunker Hill is the most centralized Location in relation to all of the other settlements but you can only get it late in to the game. After that County Crossing, Hangman's Alley and Boston Airport. Personally I use Boston Airport as my Provisioner Hub, since you can't produce anything besides the bare minimal amount of water for you settlers there.
Here's an enemy Heat map of the commonwealth.
Man that map is so great, gotta save that.
For me Oberland station or Greygarden seem perfect but they're both so small. But Greygarden would be cool, chilling out with robots. Hmm

Showaddy

So there is a useful minigun in this game? I pumped 4 points into explosives/demolitions and am now in the process of putting another 4 into heavy weapons (for my so far disappointing, missile launcher). I'll try a mini-gun again then. I have heard very good things about the gatling laser, so if the missile launcher and mini gun still suck with maxed heavy weapons, at least I'll still have that.

I already had The Ashmaker Minigun from the Goodneighbour quest which does like 15 fire damage which is nice but absolutely nothing compared to the random Explosive Minigun drop I got. Instant death for Deathclaws, Sentry Bots, Mirelurk Kings. Just crazy; and thats with only 2 points in Heavy Gunner and no weapon upgrades.

The Partystarter missile launcher you can buy for like 10k caps seems pretty amazing so far. Even without it's human only damage boost it blows through anything.

Ashmaker is pretty decent. but you'll want to keep an eye out for Legendary Miniguns with Kneecapper, Freezing, Exposive, Wounding, or even poisoners effects.

Ok thanks guys. I will remember those when I fiddle with mini guns in the future. I definitely have the Ashmaker and freezing MG's... somewhere.
Right now, I use a Legendary missile launcher (+25% damage) and critical sneak attack headshots on Raider Survivalists wont even kill them. I am largely using it just because I love seeing a speeding missile flying towards a guys head in VATS, rather than for killing efficiency anyway. So fun.

I'd like to use the missile launcher more often but I don't want to put any perks into heavy weapons. I think the minigun sucks.
I wish the explosives perk would also influence the missile launcher

Huh so I currently have an issue where The new AO and the Weapon Debris are always off even If i change them both to HBaO+ and Ultra for WD

What's the issue here ? Help me gaf falloutgaf ;_;

Replicant

I feel like Missile launcher is pointless after you get Legendary Gauss Rifle. Shots are more contained and less likely to explode in your face. And oh, it's 2 x more powerful too.

I feel like Missile launcher is pointless after you get Legendary Gauss Rifle. Shots are more contained and less likely to explode in your face. And oh, it's 2 x more powerful too.
Yeah, I love The Last Minute, only pull it out when I really need it though.

Every time I go to a vendor I buy ammo for it whether I need it or not

TyrantII

There sure is. It turns the minigun into a AA cannon. It's pure bliss. I used Dogmeat to dupe it and gave it to all my Guard post sentries.

Another pro tip: Automatic Lorenzo Never Ending Gamma Gun on a companion or NPC is pure awesome.

Venture

I'd like to use the missile launcher more often but I don't want to put any perks into heavy weapons. I think the minigun sucks.
I wish the explosives perk would also influence the missile launcher
According to the Fallout wiki missile launchers fall under explosives and heavy weapons perks. So the benefits of both will stack.

I love my gauss rifle but it does just over 300 damage compared to over 500 for a missile launcher. This is with explosives perk maxed out and 3 points in the heavy weapons perk. I've started using a missile launcher more as I'm nearing the end game, it's pretty great.

Replicant

I love my gauss rifle but it does just over 300 damage compared to over 500 for a missile launcher. This is with explosives perk maxed out and 3 points in the heavy weapons perk. I've started using a missile launcher more as I'm nearing the end game, it's pretty great.

The legendary one does more damage overall because it has the ability to shoot successive projectiles without the lenghty loading of ML. That's the thing that bothers me about ML - the slow ass reloading, which kills you if 10+ Super Mutant overlord / primus are storming your settlement.

Venture

The legendary one does more damage overall because it has the ability to shoot successive projectiles without the lenghty loading of ML. That's the thing that bothers me about ML - the slow ass reloading, which kills you if 10+ Super Mutant overlord / primus are storming your settlement.
I guess you have a point in sheer damage per second numbers. The quad-barrel mod gives you a ton of firepower though before you need to reload.

There sure is. It turns the minigun into a AA cannon. It's pure bliss. I used Dogmeat to dupe it and gave it to all my Guard post sentries.

Another pro tip: Automatic Lorenzo Never Ending Gamma Gun on a companion or NPC is pure awesome.

That Lorenzo gamma gun seemed pretty crappy when I used it. I thought it was some kind of "joke" gun, because of the physics effects it causes. Its damage just didnt seem that good. I dont have too much of that gamma ammo either. It seem rare (like the .44).
I tried the gatling laser for the first time last night (my Legendary one, with hit stun) and it is indeed very good. I have 4 points in heavy weapons now.
I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that Atom Cats mechanic sometimes sells X-01 Power Armor pieces. I got a right leg I really wanted, to complete my set. The left leg I use on my X-01 suit is the 'Honor' legendary that the BoS vendor sells.

Playing on PS4. When I look straight up at the skybox, particularly at night, it looks like a grid. Like, you can see grid lines when you look straight up. Why is that?

Venture

So I turned Starlight Drive-In into a bit of a shanty-town arcology. I kinda like it.

Built a wall around the settlement as well, I'm not even using the main building at the back.
That's impressive. I really like the ones that have a realistic look.

Build mode is such a time sink. I haven't tried anything too big, but sometimes I get wrapped up in some stupid little project for hours. Like turning Jamaica Plains into a tourist trap.
25149117552_f78ec976a4_b.jpg

24640594443_5f4b3ca7a3_b.jpg

24899719419_953f659d27_b.jpg

JoeNut

Build mode is such a time sink. I haven't tried anything too big, but sometimes I get wrapped up in some stupid little project for hours. Like turning Jamaica Plains into a tourist trap.

that looks great,

Yeah this looks very cool.
I wish there would be more places with flat ground and enough space. It really bums me out that most settlements are uneven and it looks stupid if you build something on uneven ground

Nice buildings guys. That giant tower looks pretty imposing. On the other hand, that gift shop is very cute. I dont think I have access to that magazine rack item. Probably have to unlock it or something.
I also didnt even know Jamaica Plains could become a settlement, before I saw that post. I will have to check a guide to see what other ones I missed.
It is a decent little area. I like the urban setting with the graveyard across the road. Its too bad the pond is outside the building area. Less water baron money for me ;)

Nice buildings guys. That giant tower looks pretty imposing. On the other hand, that gift shop is very cute. I dont think I have access to that magazine rack item. Probably have to unlock it or something.
I also didnt even know Jamaica Plains could become a settlement, before I saw that post. I will have to check a guide to see what other ones I missed.
It is a decent little area. I like the urban setting with the graveyard across the road. Its too bad the pond is outside the building area. Less water baron money for me ;)

No I don't think so. I think you should have that from start on
But there are some stuff that needs to be unlocked via comic book.

Anybody got a list where to find those comics. I need more decoration for my settlers.

Venture

Yeah, I like it but the build area isn't very big. There's a lot of cool places just outside the limits.

No I don't think so. I think you should have that from start on
But there are some stuff that needs to be unlocked via comic book.

Anybody got a list where to find those comics. I need more decoration for my settlers.

Issue #1
Beantown Brewery (adds picket fencing)

Issue #2
Hardware Town (adds new lighting)

Issue #3
Saugus Ironworks (adds statues)

Issue #4
Combat Zone (adds potted plants)

Issue #5
Weston Water Treatment Plant (adds patio table and chairs)

Can't wait for the new signs in 1.4. They were severely lacking.

5Ht66xb.jpg

kidko

Maybe someone can help me out wrt Steam, Green Man Gaming, DLC...

I'm wondering if I can buy the season pass from GMG even though I don't own the full game on Steam yet and hold onto the key for a while.

I'd like to get on the $30 deal, but I also want to wait to get the base game on sale, maybe in the summer sale or something.

I have the PS4 version to play for now.

Top Bottom