• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

About to wreck star light drive in. Completely fresh settlement at 200+ hours haha love it

Bethesda keeps me coming back.

I ended up just demolishing my own house and the communal house I built for my settlers, moved them into the remaining houses and rebuilt my own concrete base of operations.

Spectacle Island's gonna be the real deal. Gonna keep playing this character, getting more resources, so I can go all-out on that one.

These concrete walls are neat, if not a bit of a pain to assemble because they can snap at right angles.

It's pretty cool that you can use them as interior walls, as well. Then just snap a second floor tile up top, and use that to snap regular floor tiles to it, You got yourself a roof.

Volimar

Is Wasteland Workshop not released in the US on PC yet? It's listed as not installed in my DLCs, but it won't start downloading.

nvm, restarting Steam started a (small) download.

how do you guys keep the interest? (mods aside)

I think I have played most of the sidequests.

it seems like 4 doesnt have as much content as 3 or even NV

Volimar

how do you guys keep the interest? (mods aside)

I think I have played most of the sidequests.

it seems like 4 doesnt have as much content as 3 or even NV

This is definitely true. There's some replayability from picking a different faction to side with, but for the most part...

I hope there's tons of content with Far Harbor.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I wonder if I can just set up a few dozen cat cages and make a settlement of one settler with an army of cats.

Volimar

Having loads of fun building a compund. I kind of wish they had retrofitted the old wood and metal walls to snap together in a more segmented way like the concrete ones.

Did you side with The Institute? I did and I don't remember seeing a gorilla cage.

I did not. I did the path where you remain neutral with everyone except for the institute. I think there was an option to
set them free into the wasteland or something like that before blowing up the institute. I remember vaguely giving everyone a warning to get out before blowing it up

N° 2048

So not really finding the motivation to play Wasteland Workshop...wish there was new game+

I'll either dip into Wasteland Workshop on my Survival play through or when I get my new PC later this year.

I just don't want to find the mats, luckily I have all the perks :/

Tigress

I did not. I did the path where you remain neutral with everyone except for the institute. I think there was an option to
set them free into the wasteland or something like that before blowing up the institute. I remember vaguely giving everyone a warning to get out before blowing it up

Yeah, some one on reddit put a spoiler on how you get the gorilla:

Complete the main quest and evacuate the institute. Which means you can't side with the institute

Using the new resource duplication glitch and the concrete walls I've been building the crap out of my settlements, though I've abandoned Sanctuary as the framerate dropped since the DLC.

Castle, Boston Airport, The Slog, Starlight Drive In for me.

N° 2048

Using the new resource duplication glitch and the concrete walls I've been building the crap out of my settlements, though I've abandoned Sanctuary as the framerate dropped since the DLC.

Castle, Boston Airport, The Slog, Starlight Drive In for me.

Link to glitch? For ps4??

This would be so nice since I just wanna build endgame and not grind for mats

Link to glitch? For ps4??

This would be so nice since I just wanna build endgame and not grind for mats
There was a reddit post but I can't find it. I'll try to explain.

You drop the raw material on the ground, enter build mode, highlight the material, press square, x, and circle in order very quickly (like rolling your thumb over them). It'll flash up that you scrapped the material and it'll make the scrapped noise but then a box will pop up asking if you want to store the item in the workshop. Done right you will have duplicated the material.

N° 2048

You drop the raw material on the ground, enter build mode, highlight the material, press square, x, and circle in order very quickly (like rolling your thumb over them). It'll flash up that you scrapped the material and it'll make the scrapped noise but then a box will pop up asking if you want to store the item in the workshop. Done right you will have duplicated the material.

Thanks, tried my best but no go :(

Thanks. Got 30k concrete in about 10 minutes.

Here are the links for anyone else interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlT5PQxZvWA

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/4ea7ib/duplicate_any_resource_working_glitch/

Edit: beaten on the links.

GavinUK86

Not really bothering with the Wasteland Workshop DLC, I'm finding that all the building stuff is boring me to tears but I've just started a female/melee character on the beta survival difficulty and HOLY SHIT is it hard. Spent all day on it and I've just got to Diamond City after being poisoned by mole rats hours ago, right at the beginning where you find Dogmeat, and constantly trying to stay alive. Finally got to the doc to buy some antibiotics. It definitely makes you sweat, especially without guns.

You know, I might try this. I'm usually against stuff like this, but I've built so many settlements by now that I'm entering "no fucks given"-mode.

Plus, when you're running out of wood as a building material, you know you're building a fuckton of shit.

N° 2048

You know, I might try this. I'm usually against stuff like this, but I've built so many settlements by now that I'm entering "no fucks given"-mode.

Plus, when you're running out of wood as a building material, you know you're building a fuckton of shit.

Pretty much haha although after 4 hours or so with Wasteland Workshop I am about to drop it and just wait until I do my Survival Mode play through to pick at it. If I had a PC I would download mods but I'm on PS4.

Just too wonky.

Volimar

I built a huge concrete fortress in Sanctuary Hills. Thanks to Lover's Embrace and judiciously sleeping when it wears off, I've gotten 4 levels out of it. My settlement's defense is now like 300. Haven't even touched the arena stuff yet. I think the mostly flat area of the drive in might be best for that. Kind of bummed you can't build food plots at the airport. I know it's not meant to be a settlement per se, but still...

My one real gripe so far is, why are interior doors still so hard?!?!?! I put a powered door on my bathroom just for some privacy.

I've been loaning out my copy of Fallout 4 for PS4 because I seemingly fell off the vertibird in terms of maintaining interest.

Nevertheless.... I made a video of the "best" parts of my dazed and confused adventures in the wasteland :)

Fallout 4 - Death and Confusion (funny moments, cool VATS kills, bugs, etc.)

Doc_Drop

Well yesterday was a bag of laughs. Kept on getting crashes to desktop from the opening screen, not even able to get into loading up. Removed mods, removed nexus mod manager, reinstalled, removed save files - and I did end up doing all this repeatedly. No fix online that I could see apart from a slight murmur mentioning the beta. Installed the beta and now it works. Problem is only a handful of my mods are working now as every time I attempt to edit the ini files is starts crashing again.

I am looking forward to when Beth eventually get round to implementing the Creation Kit as playing a more vanilla version is killing me and I can't use any of my previous saves. I was planning on a new playthrough anyway which is lucky but godamn it's frustrating

spons

Gold Member
Anyone doing a melee build in this game? I just completed the main quest without doing any side quests or exploring, sided with the Railroad. For some reason, and I have this with many games, I just want to start over now that I grasp the mechanics of it all and do a proper run. But is melee as simple as it was in Fallout 3? I remember sledgehammering my way through that in most parts, here I had to keep distance, even then it wasn't really an easy run using guns.

My idea is to crank up strength and related perks early on, but if it's going to be exceedingly difficult to melee yourself through it all then I might do a different build.

N° 2048

Anyone doing a melee build in this game? I just completed the main quest without doing any side quests or exploring, sided with the Railroad. For some reason, and I have this with many games, I just want to start over now that I grasp the mechanics of it all and do a proper run. But is melee as simple as it was in Fallout 3? I remember sledgehammering my way through that in most parts, here I had to keep distance, even then it wasn't really an easy run using guns.

My idea is to crank up strength and related perks early on, but if it's going to be exceedingly difficult to melee yourself through it all then I might do a different build.

Melee/Pistol+shotty will be my survival play through. Thinking a high int female who focuses on melee but also mods pistols and shotties (might change to melee + sniper build). Also mod robots too so those perks early on if possible. Need that robot companion.

Ahhh now I don't know where to go with the build.

It probably will be difficult but I've read melee play through is possible.

Also spent about 10 hours or so with wasteland workshop, got the jist of it for my survival build. Thinking a small neon future city in Hangmans alley like I saw on the FO4.Reddit.

^That's 3 weapon classes, seems like it's spreading it a bit thin tbh. And yeah melee is definitely doable, you can either go high endurance and bash people to death like an insane person or go melee stealth. Both perfectly viable. My main alt is melee and it was fun although they definitely had some issues with the melee system that Skyrim and 3/NV didn't have.

I've been building sentry bot legions for settlement defense. I believe you can also assign robots as supply lines. At least preexisting ones like the Mr. Handys at Greygarden.

Doc_Drop

I found melee to be much worse control/gameplay-wise than any of Beths previous entries. There seemed to be a input delay, at least for me. It definitely turned me off it. It's fine in VATS though

I found melee to be much worse control/gameplay-wise than any of Beths previous entries. There seemed to be a input delay, at least for me. It definitely turned me off it. It's fine in VATS though

Yep it's definitely the worst melee in all Bethesda games. The combat knife is ok. The Ripper or Mr. Handy Buzz Blade are very good but other than that melee pretty much sucks.
I only use it for feral ghouls or some animals. If you use yao guai roast melee is the most powerfull thing in the game thou

Yep it's definitely the worst melee in all Bethesda games. The combat knife is ok. The Ripper or Mr. Handy Buzz Blade are very good but other than that melee pretty much sucks.
I only use it for feral ghouls or some animals. If you use yao guai roast melee is the most powerfull thing in the game thou

Melee is awesome don't know what y'all are talking about. Those weapons are terrible unless you find a proper legendary. Supersledge, revolutionary sword, and security baton are the best melee weapons in the game, because of their stun mods.

Melee is doable even on very hard, but i should quantify that all of my Stats are naturally 11 or higher. my strength is 13, intelligence 15, charisma 13, the rest are 11

N° 2048

^That's 3 weapon classes, seems like it's spreading it a bit thin tbh. And yeah melee is definitely doable, you can either go high endurance and bash people to death like an insane person or go melee stealth. Both perfectly viable. My main alt is melee and it was fun although they definitely had some issues with the melee system that Skyrim and 3/NV didn't have.

You're right.

*goes and studies perk chart* =D

Doc_Drop

Melee is awesome don't know what y'all are talking about. Those weapons are terrible unless you find a proper legendary. Supersledge, revolutionary sword, and security baton are the best melee weapons in the game, because of their stun mods.

Melee is doable even on very hard, but i should quantify that all of my Stats are naturally 11 or higher. my strength is 13, intelligence 15, charisma 13, the rest are 11

I think the weapons and perks are great, it's the input lag I experienced whilst trying out melee that got me. Fighting ghouls was a pain considering the rad damage whilst taking hits, hits that interrupted my attacks. May be that giving extra time and thought on my build could alleviate some of these issues, but I felt I was always at a disadvantage compared to previous entries. Especially compared to the other weapon choices on offer.

You're right.

*goes and studies perk chart* =D

Blitz is amazing, and while Rooted kinda sucks for when you aren't using VATS due people's inherent penchant for moving while attacking, but in VATS its also amazing because your character is considered standing still at the moment of attack.

I think the weapons and perks are great, it's the input lag I experienced whilst trying out melee that got me. Fighting ghouls was a pain considering the rad damage whilst taking hits, hits that interrupted my attacks. May be that giving extra time and thought on my build could alleviate some of these issues, but I felt I was always at a disadvantage compared to previous entries. Especially compared to the other weapon choices on offer.

I mitigate the rads by putting on my Hazmat Suit while fighting ghouls, at least I did but with Solar Powered I don't even do that any more.

Doc_Drop

I mitigate the rads by putting on my Hazmat Suit while fighting ghouls, at least I did but with Solar Powered I don't even do that any more.

I just couldn't justify going down that route when even a basic double barrel shotgun would happily handle all those situations. It's as if they wanted people to approach melee and unarmed late in game rather than getting into it straight away. Which probably matches up with the gutting of the role play elements of the game.

I haven't played this since early this year (February at the latest) and suddenly I finally had the itch to play today. It's updated in beta form whenever I launch Steam but I haven't played with the spring updates. So of COURSE it CTDs whenever I play anything from my old game. Even new games crash. So I disable every mod and try again, to no avail. I think maybe the survival update is causing it so I opt out of the beta and download the updates again. What am I supposed to do?

Doc_Drop

I haven't played this since early this year (February at the latest) and suddenly I finally had the itch to play today. It's updated in beta form whenever I launch Steam but I haven't played with the spring updates. So of COURSE it CTDs whenever I play anything from my old game. Even new games crash. So I disable every mod and try again, to no avail. I think maybe the survival update is causing it so I opt out of the beta and download the updates again. What am I supposed to do?

Well yesterday was a bag of laughs. Kept on getting crashes to desktop from the opening screen, not even able to get into loading up. Removed mods, removed nexus mod manager, reinstalled, removed save files - and I did end up doing all this repeatedly. No fix online that I could see apart from a slight murmur mentioning the beta. Installed the beta and now it works. Problem is only a handful of my mods are working now as every time I attempt to edit the ini files is starts crashing again.

I am looking forward to when Beth eventually get round to implementing the Creation Kit as playing a more vanilla version is killing me and I can't use any of my previous saves. I was planning on a new playthrough anyway which is lucky but godamn it's frustrating

Welcome to my world of Wednesday. I had to delete all saves, mods, and sign up for the beta just to get it working. I've maybe got 3-6 mods working and I can't edit the ini file without it crashing over and over. I'm guessing the actual implementation of the survival mode and new patches will solve the issues. Hopefully the Creation Kit will come soon so all the alternate mod approaches will be void and everyone can get on with doing it legit

Top Bottom